PDA

View Full Version : The Ephedra issue

Diego Van Derveld
Mar 13th, 2003, 05:46:57 PM
<a href=http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/news/2003/03/13/bechler_report_ap/>Ephedra found in Bechler's blood</a>

As somebody who's taken the supplement for years, and has since given it up, I have to say it is a DANGEROUS drug to use. I nearly had a heart attack during one workout session when on it, and yet, you can pick up ephedra products almost anywhere, even at gas stations, for as little as a dollar. The stuff gets you high as a kite, and you feel like you're running a marathon, even when standing still. Working out just increases the work load on your heart. I'm suprised more people haven't died on it.

Figrin D'an
Mar 13th, 2003, 06:44:38 PM
Once again, MLB demonstrates that it is woefully behind the learning curve on the ever increasing grey area of over-the-counter suppliments. Maybe stricter rules wouldn't have saved Bechler.. made he would have used it Ephedra-based substances anyway. The simple fact that baseball has yet to ban it, while the warnings have been evident for several years now, annoys me to no end though. (Although the player's union is partially to blame as well.)

It's a shame the death count has to continue to rack up because of this stuff... :(

JMK
Mar 13th, 2003, 10:20:17 PM
I really don't think baseball is going to do a hell of a lot while home runs are leaving the parks in record numbers. And the union will just hide behind "players right to do what they choose" shield. It's garbage.

Diego Van Derveld
Mar 13th, 2003, 11:28:41 PM
Ephedra isn't a strength enhancer. At best, it jacks your metabolism, and allows for an increased energy supply and fat-burning capacity.

Figrin D'an
Mar 13th, 2003, 11:36:03 PM
Exactly... Ephedra is essentially a diet drug, but it's popular because of the short term energy boost it can provide. Supplements like androstene dione and creatine monohydrate are "strength" enhancers, and claim to increase lean muscle mass by a small percentage.

Granted, all of the above are somewhat suspect... but Ephedra is the worst culprit... there are now hundreds of documented cases of it causing heat problems and deaths... Korey Stringer, Rashidi Wheeler, Bechler... all of them had Ephedra in their systems when they died.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 13th, 2003, 11:47:18 PM
Well, if Baseball wants to stay an Olympic sport, I understand all affiliated countries will shortly have to bend to IOC doping rules. As I understand, all sport associations wanting to stay within the IOC umbrella must comply to IOC doping standards. So I would guess MLB will have to withdraw from the USOC? I know Australai signed the anti doping charter, whcih means any sporting body to be affiliated or recognised above club level must have IOC standard drug testing and procedures.

Even rallying wont be exempt

--

Just somethin I found on the IOC's stance.

The production of ephedrine-containing products also carries some heavy legal implications. Due to the fact that there is still much debate over any potential side effects that ephedrine may bring about, ephedrine sales have been banned in 16 states. The International Olympic Committee (IOC), United States Olympic Committee (USOC), and the NCAA consider ephedrine a banned substance, thus anyone found to have ephedrine in their system during training and/or competition could find themselves disqualified, not to mention suspended or even banned from the sport. Another factor that has ephedrine its reputation as a dangerous substance is the fact that ephedrine can be converted into the street drug methamphetamine.

Diego Van Derveld
Mar 13th, 2003, 11:59:26 PM
And yeah, that stuff is pretty damn addictive.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 14th, 2003, 12:08:17 AM
I'll add the IOc recently passed a motion that if you fail a test, no excuse is taken. You get two years ban straight away first offence. Second fail is life ban. The only way you can get out of a ban is prove the test was flawed.

Technically, I'm not allowed to take the sinus tablets I use. Nor could the medication used to speed up my arm's recovery be allowed. It's a good thing I'm not currently competeing. I agree dangerous and true performance enhancers are out. But some quite good drugs are barred cause they could be masks. Like a lot of cold and flu medications. I'll have to check if asprin is a controlled substance - caffine certainly is.

jjwr
Mar 14th, 2003, 07:40:50 AM
Baseball has no backbone, they can't even pass mandetory drug testing for the serious stuff so I doubt they'll come around and start banning the over the counter stuff.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 14th, 2003, 07:45:07 AM
If the USA wants to field a baseball team next Olympics, the MLB may not have a choice.

JMK
Mar 14th, 2003, 08:15:32 AM
I know ephedra doesn't give you more power, I just meant that baseball won't tinker with what makes players the athletes that they've become. If ephedra makes a guy leaner, so be it. If andro makes a guy stronger, all the better. Baseball won't fix it if their players are putting out a better product.

jjwr
Mar 14th, 2003, 09:53:30 AM
I thought the USA Baseball team is still all Amateur, or college athletes? I didn't think it had gone Pro like the Olympic Basketball teams.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 14th, 2003, 10:08:06 AM
AFAIK its still amature.