PDA

View Full Version : This is just too funny NOT to post

Taylor Millard
Mar 13th, 2003, 12:25:29 AM
I don't care if you don't like baseball.

Piazza charges mound after being hit by pitch

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/030313/168/3hzr1.html

March 12, 2003
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. (AP) -- New York Mets catcher Mike Piazza started a bench-clearing brawl Wednesday night when he charged the mound after being hit by a pitch from Los Angeles Dodgers reliever Guillermo Mota.

Piazza and Mota had a shoving match last year in spring training after the pitcher hit Piazza in the hip with a pitch. He waited until Mota was coming off the field in the eighth inning and grabbed him by the jersey.

This time, Mota's first pitch to Piazza in the sixth inning was inside, and his second hit Piazza in the back of the shoulder.

Piazza immediately charged the mound with his right fist cocked for a punch, and Mota threw his glove at him and began backpedaling away.

Both benches emptied, with Mets outfielder Jeromy Burnitz chasing Mota after Piazza was restrained on the mound by two Dodgers. Mota made it to the dugout without begin caught.

An irate Piazza, red-faced and glaring with rage, yelled at Mota while being restrained by coaches and umpires. Twice he tried to charge the first-base dugout, but was held back both times.

Both Mota and Piazza were ejected. No punches appeared to land during the fight. The Dodgers beat the Mets 13-6 in a split-squad game.

Piazza left the ballpark while the game was still going without speaking to reporters.

Mota also left the stadium during the game and did not comment. The pitcher hit a three-run homer in the top of the sixth off Mets closer Armando Benitez.

Mota was once a shortstop in the Mets organization.

The Mets and Dodgers are scheduled to play two exhibition games against each other this weekend in Mexico City. They play once more in Florida during spring training, on March 25.

Oh :lol :lol

Sasseeri Reeouurra
Mar 13th, 2003, 04:31:14 AM
Why is this funny? o_O

JonathanLB
Mar 13th, 2003, 05:28:02 AM
No offense, but I was wondering that too. What's so funny?

Sene Unty
Mar 13th, 2003, 07:39:26 AM
I find it funny because its spring training...these games don't even matter....and imagining Piazza with a red face as he charged the pitcher's mound brings out a chuckle.

JonathanLB
Mar 13th, 2003, 08:25:01 AM
That's a good point. Well I guess it's good, to some extent, that he takes all parts and all times of the game seriously huh? ;)

JMK
Mar 13th, 2003, 08:27:41 AM
Vlad Guerrero charged the mound too after Brad Penny dusted him twice. These guys are going too far for pre-season play. I did laugh when I saw that guy run away from Piazza though. :lol

Taylor Millard
Mar 13th, 2003, 06:06:33 PM
Piazza immediately charged the mound with his right fist cocked for a punch, and Mota threw his glove at him and began backpedaling away.

Both benches emptied, with Mets outfielder Jeromy Burnitz chasing Mota after Piazza was restrained on the mound by two Dodgers. Mota made it to the dugout without begin caught.

An irate Piazza, red-faced and glaring with rage, yelled at Mota while being restrained by coaches and umpires. Twice he tried to charge the first-base dugout, but was held back both times.

That up there is what makes it funny.

Also the picture was funny too; but Yahoo wouldn't let me save it...bah!

Sean Piett
Mar 13th, 2003, 06:12:56 PM
Hi-larious!