PDA

View Full Version : Dixons Ditches Gamecube

Oriadin
Mar 12th, 2003, 04:49:15 AM
Yesterday it was announced that Dixons are to stop selling the Gamecube. PC World and Currys are also part of the group. This is a massive blow for nintendo since Dixons is the largest seller of console hardware in the UK. Apparently its selling of the system for £99 and it comes with a game.

This week though has been excellent for Game Cube though. Sales are up 45% week on week which meant it outsold Xbox. This is partly due to Dixons having the system on sale, as well as other companies and the fact that Resident Evil 0 has been released. RE0 went straight in at number 2 on the gaming charts. Not bad considering its behind the sims which is multi platform. It even managed to beat off Metal Gear Solid: Substance on the Xbox.

Its going to be interesting to see how GC hold out this year after the news about dixons. Will other shops follow suit? There are plenty enough games due out this year which should secure its survival but still, you can never tell.

Figrin D'an
Mar 12th, 2003, 02:15:07 PM
Why did they decide to stop selling it? Deal with Nintendo fall through?

Oriadin
Mar 12th, 2003, 02:38:32 PM
I didnt hear but I put it down to poor sales. Its pretty much fact that GC has been out sold by Xbox and of course PS2 nearly every week. Apparently Dixons are really going to be pushing the Gameboy SP though.

If I were Nintendo id be tempted to say no GC, no Gameboy.

Zeke
Mar 12th, 2003, 05:23:25 PM
Um...what's a Dixons?

Zakatiel Rhinehart
Mar 12th, 2003, 10:44:57 PM
I would guess it would something like our Gamestops.

Stop Selling GC? Are they Mad?
lol, after the Gameboy SP comes out, and all those so called GC/GB link up games(IF they ever do come out), then they proberly going to start selling GC again.

Sigil Roland
Mar 13th, 2003, 12:37:05 AM
I knew about this, but I thought I had heard everything...

I was <a href=http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=8279>wrong</a>

Someone anyone tell me something different...

Oriadin
Mar 13th, 2003, 05:04:22 AM
I have to admit, it seems pretty daft to me. This is going to be a great year for GC. The list of titles comming out this year is sweeeeet. Makes no sense to me to stop stocking it now.

Dixons is an electrical shop. Sells PC's, laptops, radios, TV's, Videos, digital cameras etc etc.

Zakatiel Rhinehart
Mar 13th, 2003, 11:45:55 AM
Ah, so Dixons sounds a bit more like a Circut City or Best Buy

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Mar 17th, 2003, 03:02:39 AM
I don't understand what the huge deal is on the X-Box. I think the GC is a superior console for one HUGE reason.

Games.

Gamecube has FUN games. Good games, games you can play for hours and hours and are truly good.

Microsoft seems to mainly program games that it's own gaming staff wants to play. Super-realistic, contrived as all get-out games that just aren't entertaining. If I wanted to play HALO, I'd just fire up my N64 and play Perfect Dark. I honestly like that game better. Nintendo knows the Fun Factor, and really uses it well.

If only the GC had DVD playability in the standard unit, it would ahve sold better, I think. Still, to not carry it seems silly to me. If I had the money, I'd buy one.

Zakatiel Rhinehart
Mar 17th, 2003, 08:05:05 PM
If I wanted to play HALO, I'd just fire up my N64 and play Perfect Dark

That reminds me...

WHY DID NINTENDO SELL RARE TO X-BOX?!? WHY!?! :verymad

Stupid New Perfect Dark game going to BE on X-Box... Stupid Stupid Stupid...

Sejah Haversh
Mar 18th, 2003, 07:32:08 PM
Well, considering I didn't even LIKE Perfect Dark*, I'm not sad at all. Microsoft can have them, as far as I'm concened. Only thing I'll miss is Star Fox. Donkey Kong can go ram his head in a bucket of bananas, and Nightfire is every bit as good, if not better than Goldeneye.

*Which means I detest HALO for all it's unimaginive gameplay and lack of fun.

Zakatiel Rhinehart
Mar 18th, 2003, 08:17:45 PM
Star Fox Switched Companies. Nintendo held rights, and is having another company make it. Mind went black on the name, but the group who made Ridge Racer.

I going to miss Conquer though, That was one hella funny game.