PDA

View Full Version : News on the New Superman Movie...

Jinn Fizz
Mar 10th, 2003, 09:30:29 PM
...and if this is true, this is really bad news.

I need to find the online petition mentioned in this article, because the changes allegedly made to the Superman mythos in this new script are atrocious beyond words. >_<

"Superman" Tights Hard to Fill
Mon Mar 10, 6:00 PM ET

By Lia Haberman

Warner Bros. needs a superhero fix--quick. Six-pack abs preferable; devotion to truth, justice and the American way required.

With news that Josh Harnett bowed out of the Superman remake race a week ago, the studio's Man of Steel role is becoming more toxic than Kryptonite, as A-list actors shun the franchise's three-picture commitment and possible Christopher Reeve-style typecasting.

Nicolas Cage, Jude Law and Johnny Depp are just some of the high-profile names that have been scratched off Warner Bros.' wishlist. And the less-than-speeding-bullet pace of casting is supposedly causing conflicts between helmer Brett Ratner and producer Jon Peters, who blames the Rush Hour director for the hold-up, according to the New York Post.

Also causing controversy is the screenplay from Alias creator JJ Adams, which is coming under fire from comic book geeks for its modifications to the Superman mythology. Over 11,000 aficionados with time to spare have signed an online petition protesting the changes.

At stake are: Jimmy Olsen's sexuality (in the new movie he's gay); Superman's new status as a player (he flirts with Lois instead of saving people); an intact planet Krypton (in the original movie the planet explodes); the red and blue suit emerging as the superhero's source of power; and, finally, Lex Luther as a Kryptonian bent on destroying Earth.

No word on what fans think of a script being sent to Justin Timberlake. There have been reports that the popster has been approached to star as Jimmy Olsen. But his publicist, Ken Sunshine, who says Timberlake's in Japan promoting his album and hasn't seen the screenplay yet, wouldn't confirm which role the 'N Syncer was being pitched.

Being considered for Lois Lane duties is one of Timberlake's former Mouseketeer pals, Keri Russell--though Superman's love life is taking a backseat until the big guy is found. "Nothing's finalized," a rep for the actress told E! Online today. "There's been interest, but they're probably waiting to find Superman before they pin down who they want for Lois."

None of the hullabaloo has stopped Tinseltown's second tier from lining up for auditions. Hollywood superhero hopefuls include Jerry O'Connell, Brendan Fraser, Paul Walker, Matthew Bomer (a Guiding Light soap star) and Victor Webster (star of Mutant X).

O'Connell, also being considered for a Crossing Jordan spinoff, sounded confident about his chances to don a cape and tights, telling E! Online's Movie Scoop columnist Anderson Jones, "There is some stiff competition, but I guarantee you I can do more push-ups than all those other guys."

While O'Connell confides there are two other top-secret actors in front of him "that have nominations," the Kangaroo Jack star has a special connection to the movie's director: Ratner served as O'Connell's senior advisor when he was a freshman at NYU. Oh, and O'Connell claims to look good in blue spandex. 'Nuff said.

One man who's not afraid of getting in touch with his superhero side, or signing on to sequels, is Anthony Hopkins. The Hannibal star was one of the first A-list star signed on to the project and remains committed to playing Superman's Kryptonian birth father Jor-El--a role made famous by the Marlon Brando.

Loki Ahmrah
Mar 10th, 2003, 09:34:40 PM
I'd love to see Hopkins as Jor-El.

Apart from that this new Superman project is a joke. I'm seriously waiting for them to turn around and admit they were joking all along because this tripe is unbelieveable.

:(

imported_QuiGonJ
Mar 10th, 2003, 09:39:38 PM
I have to agree with the petition. I already signed.

Its URL is http://www.petitiononline.com/sprmn5/petition.html

To: Producers and Director of the film tentatively titled Superman 5

To the producers and director of the upcoming movie tentatively called Superman 5:

We, the undersigned, wish to implore you to commission another script. The one written by J. J. Abrams destroys much of which makes the characters and the stories of the Superman universe great. Please do not use this script and create one which is closer to the Superman we all know and love!

Specific grievances with the Superman script:
1) Jimmy Olsen is gay.

Jimmy Olsen is not gay. Or at least not out of the closet. Being a dork does not make one gay.

2) Superman ignores people in trouble in order to flirt with Lois Lane

Superman is the perfect embodiment of a Boy Scout. He would NEVER abandon anyone in need just to flirt with Lois Lane.

3) Krypton doesn't explode. It's in the middle of a civil war and that's why his father sent him away.

This is KEY to the character of Superman! He is a man without a home, so he makes Earth his home and promises to protect it and its inhabitants.

4) Lex Luthor is a Kryptonian bent on destroying Earth

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Lex Luthor is a corporate businessman. He's not an evil person. He's simply greedy and has no morals when it comes to getting what he wants. The reason he wants to destroy Superman is because Superman interferes with his more shadowy deals. Lex Luthor would NOT want to destroy the Earth. If he kills all the humans, who will by LexCorp products?

5) Superman's powers come from his suit, not from the sun.

No, that's Iron Man. Or Steel. Or Green Lantern. Or Jackie Chan in The Tuxedo. It's not a ring or a suit or a cape or anything else that gives Superman his powers. It's the fact that Krypton orbited a red star and Earth orbits a yellow star. The different rays have an effect on Kryptonian physiology and give them super powers.

Again, I plead with you. For my sake, for the sake of every other Superman fan, and for your own sake. PLEASE abandon this ridiculous parody of a Superman film script and have a new one written. You want to make a Superman film because the character is one of the best-selling comic books of all time. There is an audience built for this film. Do not hurt yourself and the future of DC-based superhero films by destroying some of the very elements that make us love Superman. The comic is successful because the fans love the stories and love the characters. When you change them, you change the very thing that makes them successful.

Sincerely,
The undersigned

Figrin D'an
Mar 10th, 2003, 09:42:36 PM
:x

Why, for the love of god, would they change that much about the backstory? If this is indeed true, there is no way I'm going to see this film... I was skeptical before, but this is just horrid.

imported_Marcus
Mar 10th, 2003, 09:42:58 PM
OMG, if that script is real and they go ahead, I hope it bankrupts the studio. that's seriously screwed up.

Evil Hobgoblin
Mar 10th, 2003, 10:00:39 PM
It's strange that they would commission such a successful TV show (Smallville) based on the mythos, and then turn around and wreck it by twisting and distorting the entire thing for a movie...

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Mar 10th, 2003, 10:14:06 PM
that is just terrible..... >_<

JonathanLB
Mar 10th, 2003, 11:17:20 PM
Is that a joke?! Has this person read anything at all about Superman or ever seen SEEN the first two awesome movies?

Seriously who came up with these changes, Jerry Bruckheimer? Ed Wood?! ;)

Diego Van Derveld
Mar 10th, 2003, 11:29:43 PM
I thought you'd like the changes, Jon.

JonathanLB
Mar 11th, 2003, 01:39:11 AM
Heck no, I love the Superman movies and the awesome story Donner told through the first two films, why would I want to see that destroyed by some hacks looking to make a buck off what was, for two movies, a GREAT comic book franchise translated to film?

Superman II is not just one of the greatest comic book movies ever made, but simply one of the best films in general ever made.

Alan Joyce
Mar 11th, 2003, 02:24:43 AM
Wow, someone can write worse than Ron Marz and the steaming pile who replaced him on the Green Lantern comics. That is by far one of the worst changes to a script I've ever seen, and I hope it fails to draw an audience if it actually gets made. One thing's for sure, I'm not going to see it.

Darth Viscera
Mar 11th, 2003, 02:55:17 AM
I agree with JLB, this crap has come straight from the desk of Ed Wood.

JonathanLB
Mar 11th, 2003, 04:18:05 AM
Maybe it's a marketing ploy to draw attention to Superman again, then say, "Just kidding guys, we have decided to honor our fans' wishes and change the movie," which would seem to indicate the studio's willingness to please the fans, right? But it's all part of the plan. They knew from the start that such retarded script suggestions would have the creator of Superman turning in his grave (he is dead, right?! The comic is like 80 years old) and the fans yelling, but they figured it was a good attention-grabbing scheme.

Or at least, I hope so. There has to be an explanation for this besides just human ineptitude. Right?! o_O

Darth Viscera
Mar 11th, 2003, 06:05:08 AM
Well, human ineptitude seems to be enough. "Master of Disguise".

ReaperFett
Mar 11th, 2003, 06:05:26 AM
They have changed the script since then people, be calm :)

How much it has changed is another thing.

I dont mind changes. Spiderman and X-Men did some major change, and were still faithful to the source. Daredevil was a near-perfect adaptation, and still managed to chenge things. The key is Not to change too much.

Jedieb
Mar 11th, 2003, 07:59:16 AM
That has to be a joke. Those changes are just ludicrous. But I don't understand the hysteria over Jimmy Olsen. Do you mean he's NOT gay? O_o

JMK
Mar 11th, 2003, 08:13:36 AM
I think by law they would have to change the name to something other than Superman, because that certainly isn't the story!

jjwr
Mar 11th, 2003, 08:50:18 AM
You would think with the success of Spiderman and it following his Comic Origins so closely that they would realize they don't need to pull this sort of crap.

A good chunk of what these movies make is the core audience and Superman is one of the most recognizable and popular Super Heroes out there.

Some changes are ok, Jimmy Olsen Gay, who cares. But Krypton blowing up is key to the story and Luthor being a Kyrptonian is just lame.

The big draw with Luthor as a villian is that he's only human and he can still hold his own against Superman. If you make him a Kryptonian Villian then all you've got is General Zod again.

Siegel & Shuster created Superman, Action Comics #1 published in 1938. I'm pretty sure they're both dead but one may be alive.

ReaperFett
Mar 11th, 2003, 09:19:50 AM
You would think with the success of Spiderman and it following his Comic Origins so closely that they would realize they don't need to pull this sort of crap.
The only DC comic in the top 13 distributed is Batman, IIRC. Superman doesnt have the same pull these days, unless the movies have a huge non-comic following.

ReaperFett
Mar 11th, 2003, 09:21:13 AM
If he kills all the humans, who will by LexCorp products?
Krypton isnt destroyed ;)

jjwr
Mar 11th, 2003, 09:34:23 AM
No Superman isn't a top #15 book but very few books are, thats pretty much dominated by X-Men, Spiderman and Batman's main series.

Just because a book isn't a top 15 book doesn't mean the character doesn't have a huge following, the comic market flucuates so much with new creative teams that these books get bought and dropped on a regular basis.

The point is just about everyone knows who Superman is, and through the years he's built up a huge following of fans, many comic fans would go see the movie if it was well done.

Before recently and with the exception of Ultimate Spiderman most of the Spiderman books weren't doing that good in sales either but the fan base is alwasy bigger than the sales # of the book. These characters have been around so long that people know about them and know enough about them that if a good movie is made that they'll go and see it.

JonathanLB
Mar 11th, 2003, 09:35:09 AM
That very well may be true, Reaper, and I am sure you know your facts, but Superman remains the best known comic book character in history easily.

You don't hear people saying, "Wow he's like Spider-Man!" or "Wow you're just Wolverine today!" You certainly do hear people in common conversation say, "Dude you're Superman today" or "What do you think you are, Superman?" or "He's a regular Superman."

It's like trying to compare Star Wars to Gone With the Wind. The latter may have sold more tickets, but you don't hear people quoting that movie like they quote Star Wars and you won't see people spoofing Clark Gable like they do Darth Vader. Just ain't gonna happen.

A truly well done Superman movie could be huge.

Jedieb
Mar 11th, 2003, 10:14:44 AM
Gotta go with everything jjwr said. Comic book sales will only tell what comic book buyers are buying. Only a few comic book characters have transcended that medium to become American icons, Superman is one of them. To trash his origin is ridiculous.

JMK
Mar 11th, 2003, 11:00:47 AM
You don't see icons like Seinfeld referring to and idolizing guys like Wolverine and Lobo. Superman is the guy, and he really needs to have his origins intact. It would be like someone making a movie about Jesus and turning him into a heroin addict, a pimp and a loan shark. It's totally ridiculous.

Off topic sort of, but did anyone hear that Keri Russel is rumored to play Lois Lane?

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 11th, 2003, 01:14:28 PM
The script has been changed the director has said it in several interviews, Krypton is blown up Luthor is no alien, not sure about Olsen, but I doubt he will be gay. The movie is still going through problems mostly because they can't seem to find their Superman, they wanted Josh Harnett or Jude Law and both didn't want to sign up for sequels. I wouldn't mind Jerry O'Connell, he has got the build and he is a good actor, IMO. They still might go with a complete unknown. I like Russell for Lane, she is a babe.

JMK
Mar 11th, 2003, 01:24:05 PM
Russel can be in any movie IMO, she's a total fox.

ReaperFett
Mar 11th, 2003, 01:52:14 PM
You don't see icons like Seinfeld referring to and idolizing guys like Wolverine and Lobo.
Didnt you watch Mallrats? It was allllllll Wolverine and Batman! :D

Sigil Roland
Mar 11th, 2003, 04:19:50 PM
WTHeck??? Next they'll say that Superman lives in Detroit during all of this...

imported_J'ktal Anajii
Mar 11th, 2003, 04:28:08 PM
No, man, haven't you heard? He's an African American business tycoon who is living the life of a ghetto superstar in Hong Kong, and has three feet growing off his elbow and is blind in his left ear.

JMK
Mar 11th, 2003, 04:33:49 PM
Didnt you watch Mallrats? It was allllllll Wolverine and Batman!

Granted, but Kevin Smith is certainly not the icon that Seinfeld is. :p

ReaperFett
Mar 11th, 2003, 04:35:31 PM
I disagree!

(There is actually a mention of Superman, but that's not by Jay & SIlent Bob, so not so important:))

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Mar 11th, 2003, 04:46:40 PM
Originally posted by J'ktal Anajii
No, man, haven't you heard? He's an African American business tycoon who is living the life of a ghetto superstar in Hong Kong, and has three feet growing off his elbow and is blind in his left ear.

...who fights crime!

sorry, reminded me of it....

Admiral Lebron
Mar 11th, 2003, 07:25:41 PM
Lobo could pwn anyone. Even superman. Lobo is the man. All joking aside, Superman II was one of the best movies around. Its definatly in my top 100.

Sigil Roland
Mar 11th, 2003, 07:49:44 PM
Originally posted by Sorreessa Tarrineezi
...who fights crime!

sorry, reminded me of it....
..while driving to Starbucks...

She made me do it..

Back on topic, I can see Jerry O'Connell being Superman. MAybe Christopher Reeve could play The Professor....

Darth Viscera
Mar 11th, 2003, 07:58:07 PM
Bah, you're all nuts. Personally, I think that Christopher Walken would make an excellent Superman. You gotta love that guy!

Evil Hobgoblin
Mar 11th, 2003, 10:13:38 PM
As long as he didn't do the role in a bear suit.

"I like... bears. I think bears... is funny. We need a guy... dressed... in a bear suit."

Jedieb
Mar 12th, 2003, 02:11:10 PM
The only Superman movie that I would watch that completely disregarded his true origins would be a Seinfeld Superman movie. That would be positively hysterical.

Sean Piett
Mar 12th, 2003, 07:12:32 PM
Note: if Superman gets powers from suit, Luthor wouldn't have superpowers.

ReaperFett
Mar 14th, 2003, 04:44:13 AM
The competition to name the star of "Superman" has come down to Brendan Fraser and soap star Matthew Bomer, after "The Fast and the Furious" star Paul Walker opted out of the competition Thursday.

That trio did screen tests with director Brett Ratner, but Walker was the only one who had an option to remove himself from consideration. He did that Thursday, as he had reservations about the seven-year commitment required for three films. "He has decided to focus his time on supporting the films he already has in the can: 'Timeline' and 'The Fast and the Furious 2,' the latter of which includes a monthlong worldwide publicity campaign," said a source close to Walker. Walker's also got a June start date on "Heart of a Soldier," the Rod Lurie-directed drama.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 14th, 2003, 09:27:01 AM
I bet they go with this soap star he is an unknown, do you have any pictures of him Reaper?

Jedieb
Mar 14th, 2003, 09:27:09 AM
Fraser would be a decent Superman IMO. He's got the physique, and some decent name recognition.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 14th, 2003, 09:44:27 AM
I would rather have an unknown I think its better that way I don't like the idea of Fraser, I just never liked him as an actor.

ReaperFett
Mar 14th, 2003, 11:55:29 AM
I like him being funny, and the problem is thats how Ill see him.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 14th, 2003, 03:27:48 PM
Yeah that is my problem I don't see him as a serious actor. I bet they will hire this soap star, he is a nobody will cost less and will do the sequels, I pray he has some talent though.

JMK
Mar 14th, 2003, 05:29:26 PM
I don't like Fraser very much, I can't take him seriously, and Superman is ALL business. :p

Jinn Fizz
Mar 14th, 2003, 07:44:33 PM
I absolutely adore Brendan Fraser, I have since George of the Jungle. But yes, he definitely is better known as having a comedic edge, something that would have to be toned down and/or reworked in order for him to play Superman. Still, I keep reminding myself of how horrified I was when Tim Burton cast Michael Keaton as Batman, and now, as far as I'm concerned, Keaton was the best Batman of all in the movies.

I wouldn't be surprised, though, if they go with the soap opera guy. First of all, because he's less well-known, and second, because of the whole cost issue.