PDA

View Full Version : Countdown to 65

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 10th, 2003, 08:49:33 PM
I figure I post this today since Selection Sunday is coming close. First the big news. Georgia will not be playing in the SEC or NCAA Tourneys, the school has done this and suspended Harrick, this is big news and should help some other team get into the Tournament. Also 5 Teams clinched bids over the weekend including Troy State (Atlantic Sun) NC Ashville (Big South), Austin Peay (ohio valley), East Tennessee State (southern), Penn (Ivy). Several more schools will make it today.

Admiral Lebron
Mar 10th, 2003, 08:51:11 PM
Maryland will get a second seed I bet. :( I hope Duke gets a third seed.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 10th, 2003, 08:57:21 PM
The way Duke is playing they might get a 4th seed getting beat by UNC won't help them any, an early exit from the ACC tourney would rule a 3rd seed out. Right now either Maryland or Wake Forest will get a 2 seed.

Diego Van Derveld
Mar 10th, 2003, 08:58:31 PM
First the big news. Georgia will not be playing in the SEC or NCAA Tourneys

WOOHOO! :crack

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 10th, 2003, 09:04:06 PM
Figured you be Happy, since I gather you are a big Alabama fan :) I think Alabama will get in anyway honestly their RPI is in the 30's

Diego Van Derveld
Mar 10th, 2003, 09:43:20 PM
One can only hope :D

Figrin D'an
Mar 10th, 2003, 09:56:12 PM
The two teams, beyond Arizona and Kentucky, that will be the most scary to play against in March will be Wake Forest and Marquette, IMO. Both have all the makings of teams that can make big-time runs to New Orleans.

Harrick, despite that he's a very good teacher on the basketball floor, is a walking NCAA violation machine. Every school he's been at has had major problems. The only reason that the problems at UCLA are forgotten is because they won the title in 1995. That being said... I don't like that Georgia decided to suspend themselves from postseason play. The players and the fans should not have to suffer for what the coach and former players have done.

Harrick will be forced to resign... it's just a matter of he and school working out the financial compensation for his remaining contract. Jarvis Hayes will enter the NBA Draft for sure now. The sad thing is that Harrick will probably get another job...

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 11th, 2003, 01:08:23 PM
Yeah Harrick will still find work. I don't agree with their decision either they shouldn't punish the players for the Coach. Also there was big upset last night in the West Coast, Gonzaga lost to San Diego. Gonzaga should still get in, but that means that some team (NC State, Auburn, Minnesota) won't get in.

Diego Van Derveld
Mar 11th, 2003, 01:09:48 PM
<font size=-3>God, let it be Auburn, please.</font>

:angel

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 11th, 2003, 01:16:32 PM
LOL I am not sure if Auburn deserves to be, I don't think NC State deserves to be in there their RPI is 65 that is awful.

Figrin D'an
Mar 11th, 2003, 01:27:15 PM
LOL @ Diego. :)

A lot of it will be dictated by performances in the respective conference tournaments, although at the moment, I would say that Minnesota would probably be one of the last teams that make the field. NC State probably will, but they would need to win a couple of games in the ACC tourney to feel secure.

The Horizon league title is tonight, and one has to wonder if the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee beats Butler, will Butler get an at large bid. Yeah, they're a mid-major, but they've been pretty much the top mid-major team all season. The have a great record, and very nearly beat Duke at Cameron earlier in the season. Were it up to me, I'd put Butler in the field over NC State, Minnesota or Auburn.

This years bracket is going to tough to pick, no matter what the matchups may be...

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 11th, 2003, 01:31:43 PM
I would put Butler in over those three schools as well. Another team that is close to the Bubble is Seton Hall they need to win a game in the Big East tournament I feel to guarentee that they get in. Also should the Big East get 6 teams? I think they deserve 5 but I am not sure about a sixth.

Diego Van Derveld
Mar 11th, 2003, 01:36:32 PM
Ugh. Every time I think of Seton Hall, I think of Dick Vitale talking about them.

"SEET'N HWOLL BAYBEE!!"

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 11th, 2003, 01:44:23 PM
LOL this is his time of the year. I always think he is on too much cafinee or something.

Diego Van Derveld
Mar 11th, 2003, 01:50:10 PM
I just want to hit him with a mallet when he opens his mouth. Its like...ugh...

He's more annoying than Jesse Jackson's rhyme scheme. That's profound.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 11th, 2003, 02:08:08 PM
Well he can be annoying I do usually enjoy his coverage, I remember back when ESPN had him and Jimmy Vallvano (sp) now they were great togeher.

Figrin D'an
Mar 11th, 2003, 07:55:58 PM
In other news, the Connecticut women's team had their 70 game winning streak snapped in the Big East title game by Villanova.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 11th, 2003, 09:28:08 PM
I was shocked to see that I didn't think they would lose again this season. I still think they will win the tournament I think that will be the wake up call they need. Also Butler lost. So they are on the Bubble it will be interestying, but I think Butler and Gonzaga belong in over Auburn, Minnesota, Seton Hall and Nc State.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 12th, 2003, 03:25:50 PM
The Big East tourney got started today and Notre Dame lost again, they don't seem to be playing very well right now. I think Seton Hall has to win tonight to get into the tournament.

CMJ
Mar 12th, 2003, 10:36:40 PM
Go Western Kentucky! Gotta pull for my conference represenative and champion. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 12th, 2003, 11:26:19 PM
Yeah I saw they won yesterday. Seton Hall pulled out a win tonight so I think they will make it unless Providence or St. Johns surprises everybody and wins the Big East Tourney, I personally doubt that will happen. The rest of the tournaments start tomorrow, should be a crazy week.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 13th, 2003, 02:02:01 PM
Here are the teams in so far

Troy State
NC Asheville
Austin Peay
E. Tennessee State
Pennsylvania
UNC Wilmington
Creighton
Manhattan
San Diego
Milwaukee-Wis.
Western Kentucky
IUPUI
Wagner
Weber State

One more bid today and then half of the automatic bids will be in. the Big 10 tournament started this afternoon, and the Big East has reached the Quarters, BC survived a scare over St. Johns and Providence is giving Pitt some trouble in the early first half of their game. SEC, ACC, PAC-10 all start by tonight. A few teams have to win, ESPN thinks Oregon, Alabama and Indiana have to win their first round games to get into the NCAAs.

Figrin D'an
Mar 13th, 2003, 06:50:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=230720012

It's upset city, baby!

This is easily the biggest upset of the year thus far... it won't hurt Arizona's chances for a #1 seed, but it's still pretty incredible.

CMJ
Mar 13th, 2003, 08:28:20 PM
The second game of the PAC-10 tourney was just as good with Oregon getting a 1 point win.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 13th, 2003, 09:35:09 PM
That game was incredible, Oregon should get in now. I think Indiana is in as well by beating Penn State. I don't think Minnesota is going to get in losing to Northwestern should pop their bubble. I think Alabama is done as well get killed by Vanderbelt is really bad. NC State is the next of the bubble teams that have to win, if they lose tomorrow they are out. Also another upset Marquette losing to UAB that is a shocker I don't think they will get a #1 seed now.

Diego Van Derveld
Mar 13th, 2003, 11:29:10 PM
:grumble

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 14th, 2003, 08:06:07 PM
Another upset Texas Tech beats Texas, what is going on now here I have no clue. Also LSU beat Florida earlier today. Ohio State beat Wisconsin, Michigan State clobbered a good Purdue team, and now Temple beat a very good Xavier team and UNC is beating Maryland by 10 with 10 minutes to go, I have to say this has been a very wild weekend.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 14th, 2003, 08:24:13 PM
Add Maryland to that list, man the top teams aren't winning the only top teams that won so far today have been Kansas, Kentucky, Illinois, Pitt, and Wake Forest and Lousiville both had to fight there ways in their games. Still Duke and Oklahomha to play have to see if those two can survive.

CMJ
Mar 14th, 2003, 08:26:28 PM
The Duke loss last weekend to UNC doesn't look so bad now.

Everyone here is talking about a UCLA-USC final in the PAC-10 tourney.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 14th, 2003, 08:41:55 PM
That would be something the UCLA game has already started, UCLA has the early lead so far.

CMJ
Mar 14th, 2003, 10:20:43 PM
The Bruins folded at the end of the game. The Ducks didn't quit and I give them props for that, but they were outplayed.

So much for Lavin. He'll probably be fired Monday.

Alot of these conference tourney's are really exciting. I love March. :D

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 14th, 2003, 10:53:05 PM
Anybody see the UConn-Syracuse game? UConn looks amazing when they are playing like that they are unbeatable. They have a lot of talent have to say that. It should be an interesting game for the Big East title that is really the only one that has held to form. I mean you have UAB vs Louisville in the C-Usa, Dayton vs Temple, UNC in the semis, and Texas Tech making a run. Should be wild tomorrow we could have a few more upsets.

CMJ
Mar 14th, 2003, 10:54:12 PM
The Huskies did look strong. I watched pieces of that game.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 14th, 2003, 10:56:04 PM
If they play like that they can be a dangerous teams, there are several teams like that, that is why the tournament is going to be so crazy it so open.

CMJ
Mar 15th, 2003, 09:00:51 PM
Some great games today as well. Vermont's win was fun as hell. First time in the tourney in 103 years of basketball. :D

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 15th, 2003, 09:18:32 PM
I was disapointed by Uconn's performance they could have played better, still they will be tough they should be a third or 4th seed, IMO, they should make it to the Sweet 16 or could go farther.

CMJ
Mar 15th, 2003, 09:20:30 PM
I doubt the Huskies will be seeded any higher than a 5. I thought Pitt looked terrific.

They might get the 1 seed in the East...close call.

Figrin D'an
Mar 15th, 2003, 09:27:39 PM
With Texas having lost in to Texas Tech in the Big 12 quarterfinals, Pitt has a good chance at a #1 seed. Even with Kansas losing in the semis to Missouri, the Jayhawks will still likely get a top spot. Arizona and Kentucky will get two of the others. That leaves one spot, and right now, Pitt looks like the best choice.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 15th, 2003, 09:34:59 PM
I think UConn should get a 4 really, I thought they would have got a 3 if they had won. Syracuse will probably get a 5, IMO, I just think they should base that UConn is better than Syracuse based on head to head and that should be how they figure out seeding. I could be wrong, I don't think UConn would get a lower seed than 5, even with that they have a chance of making pretty far, this year a lot of teams do.

CMJ
Mar 15th, 2003, 09:51:47 PM
EVERYONE thinks they deserve a good seed though. Here's how I see the seeds right now...

#1's
Arizona
Kentucky
Kansas
Pittsburgh

#2's
Texas
Oklahoma
Florida
Duke

#3's
Marquette
Wake Forest
Illinois
Louisville

#4's
Xavier
Stanford
Maryland
Syracuse

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 15th, 2003, 09:54:25 PM
But couldn't the committee look at the way UConn dominate Syracuse and say Uconn should be seeded ahead of them? Right now I think UConn is better than Syracuse at least I feel that way.

CMJ
Mar 15th, 2003, 09:55:47 PM
You're not biased though. ;) I think the Orange is a shaky #4, but I think if anyone replaces them it would be Oregon.

I have the Ducks currently sitting as my strongest #5 seed.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 15th, 2003, 10:30:16 PM
No I am not biased :p have to admit that. Who knows I think they will be a 5 for sure hopefully Syracuse will be no better than a 5 either. Where do you think Notre Dame will be? Right now I say they are 6 but could get a 7.

CMJ
Mar 15th, 2003, 10:40:26 PM
Granted these are where *I* think they should be. It's so hard to place the teams. I have much respect for the committee.

#5's
Oregon
Creighton
Wisconsin
Dayton

#6's
Notre Dame
Conneticut
California
Mississippi St.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 15th, 2003, 10:44:35 PM
You have UConn below 6, I thought you said they were a 5? I don't see them putting Notre Dame ahead of Uconn, especially the way Notre Dame has been playing the last 2 weeks.

CMJ
Mar 15th, 2003, 10:46:38 PM
No I just rethought them...as a six. Like I said in my editied post...it's nearly impossible to seed. You have to factor in the conference affiliation...the overall record...how hot they are at the moment...

It makes you wanna tear your hair out.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 15th, 2003, 10:50:53 PM
Somehow I didn't see them as a 6. Yeah it does sound like a nightmare, I hope UConn gets a 5 at least but as a lower seed they could surprise more people.

JonathanLB
Mar 15th, 2003, 10:51:39 PM
Oregon is at least going into the tournament playing some good basketball. Not great, but good. I hope they can play respectable anyway...

CMJ
Mar 15th, 2003, 10:53:06 PM
Given the right matchup I can totally seeing UConn making the Final Four. Yet I would seed them as a six, because of their overall record and performance this season.

Who knows what the committee will do(I can see them being anywhere between a 4, 5, or 6).

Figrin D'an
Mar 16th, 2003, 05:08:28 PM
The #1 seeds are Kentucky, Arizona, Texas and Oklahoma...

wow... no Kansas, but still the Big 12 gets two #1 seeds...

Figrin D'an
Mar 16th, 2003, 05:29:31 PM
Charley should be happy... 'Bama got in as the 10 seed in the East... they'll play Indiana in the first round in Boston.

Jackson DeWitt
Mar 16th, 2003, 05:35:48 PM
:eek!!!!

(faints)

Figrin D'an
Mar 16th, 2003, 06:10:20 PM
Holy crap... I wonder what the committee was smoking when they set up the West Region...

1: Arizona
2: Kansas
3: Duke
4: Illinois
5: Notre Dame
6: Creighton

Good lord... those top four alone make it the hardest region...

Admiral Lebron
Mar 16th, 2003, 08:37:14 PM
Maryland... sixth seed. OY!!! They can take the division if they play like they can and do about half the time.

I also find it slightly unfair that Syracuse gets to play in Albany... its nearly a homecourt advantage.

CMJ
Mar 16th, 2003, 10:17:17 PM
The West is gonna be a blood bath...

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 16th, 2003, 10:23:06 PM
I don't think Alabama or Auburn should have made, Auburn in particular, Auburn had the easiest schedule I have ever seen and some really terrible team, can't remember who, beat the crap out of them. The two teams that should be really mad are Boston College and Tennessee, both teams, IMO are more deserving. But really this happens ever year so I kind of figured this would happen again, so I wouldn't argue over it.
Okay as far as regions I would say the West is toughes as was said the top 6 are really good teams plus you have sleeper teams Memphis and Gonzaga in there as well that is going to be a nightmare region for Arizona I have a feeling they won't make it out. Also I don't think Texas is that good personally I have a feeling they won't make it to New Orleans either, actually the only #1 seed I think should make it is Kentucky they are playing really good and should make it to the Final Four, IMO. After that I have no clue there are alot of teams like UConn, Pittsburg, Lousiville, etc, who I think can make a run.I have to say this tournament is going to be very exciting.

CMJ
Mar 16th, 2003, 11:03:58 PM
Western Kentucky beat Auburn by 19, but I'd hardly call the Toppers bad. :p

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 17th, 2003, 12:06:29 AM
There was another team, can't remember who Vitale mentioned them they had a losing record.

Figrin D'an
Mar 17th, 2003, 12:40:56 AM
Here's the fun fact of the day:

BYU (in the South Region), if it gets to the Sweet 16, will likely swap spots with with the winner of the 5-12/4-13 pod from the Midwest Region.

Why?

Because the South bracket feeds into a Friday/Sunday Regional, and BYU is not allowed to participate in any athletic competition on Sundays (because it's a Mormon Church-run university).

>_<

If BYU were to somehow knock off Connecticut, then the winner of Stanford/San Diego... way to bust the bracket....

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 17th, 2003, 12:45:32 AM
Well I don't think BYU will win 3 straight games, I say that is really unlikely, I doubt they will get past UConn, though I am biased there :p