PDA

View Full Version : Time to invade Iran!!!

Jedieb
Mar 10th, 2003, 09:13:14 AM
http://www.msnbc.com/news/882931.asp?0cv=CB10

Said it before, I'll say it again. Within 50 years the list of nations with nuclear weapons is going to grow. It might even come close to doubling. There's little we can do to stop it. We can't invade EVERYBODY.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 10th, 2003, 01:46:23 PM
The scary thought is somebody is going to use one of those nuclear weapons one day if it happen in India/Pakistan or is the result of a terrorist it will happen in the next 50 years.

Darth Viscera
Mar 10th, 2003, 03:05:20 PM
Hopefully the Iranians will put a halt to their islamic pot parties long enough to bring about another riot like 1979, this one anti-fundamentalist.

Ever since Afghanistan redruggified, Iran has been high.

Sanis Prent
Mar 10th, 2003, 03:12:18 PM
Its interesting to see how things progress in Iran. The fundamentalist government has been pressured massively towards reform movements, seemingly not fast enough for most though. They're really putting the heat on Tehran to lighten up, despite how much fundamentalist support the government still has. Its a big concern, nevertheless, to see them with an accelerated weapon's program, but I think that their political sphere, and the likelihood to go wacko and use said hypothetical weapons, is still far less than North Korea or Iraq.

JonathanLB
Mar 10th, 2003, 06:16:32 PM
"We can't invade EVERYBODY."

Well I wouldn't be so sure about that! ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 10th, 2003, 08:22:04 PM
We couldn't Jon unless we brought back the draft, we don't have enough soliders.

JonathanLB
Mar 10th, 2003, 09:12:23 PM
We have PLENTY of soldiers.

You don't need to invade these countries to force compliance. You just bomb the living hell out of them from the skies and destroy their morale, then you invade, and you don't need many troops to do that whatsoever. 10,000 good men could take an entire country with proper air support and equipment. That is after a long, long bombing campaign and whatnot, but still, the point stands.

If Nukes did not exist, the U.S. could conquer the entire world in a decade, but first of all, that would be terrible, and second, that has nothing to do with what we're talking about :)

I think we really have to be careful with all of these countries not to send a message that we are going to be the aggressive constantly. I like how we are dealing with N. Korea so far, at least not spilling a lot of rhetoric, but rather talking about peaceful negotiations to resolve our differences.

Diego Van Derveld
Mar 10th, 2003, 09:45:28 PM
I thank God every day that people like you don't control our military and foreign policy, Jon. :x

If the Blitz taught you anything, its that massive, unrelenting bombing campaigns can't fully break morale.

Darth Viscera
Mar 10th, 2003, 10:14:30 PM
Originally posted by JonathanLB
If Nukes did not exist, the U.S. could conquer the entire world in a decade, but first of all, that would be terrible, and second, that has nothing to do with what we're talking about :)

And third, we could never hold it. It would be like a global Somalia.

Evil Hobgoblin
Mar 10th, 2003, 10:44:01 PM
Unless we sent Jon in to give them his opinions on their culture. Morale would break pretty badly at that point, I think.

*WINK.*

:)

Diego Van Derveld
Mar 10th, 2003, 10:45:39 PM
Move over, Jimmy Carter. Step aside, Jesse Jackson. Jon Bowen is our new <strike>sucker</strike> unqualified diplomat!

JonathanLB
Mar 10th, 2003, 11:13:31 PM
Yeah... right.

"And third, we could never hold it. It would be like a global Somalia."

True. That's another good point. :)

I didn't say we SHOULD conquer the world, sheesh, but our military is so vastly superior to every military in the world it's hardly close. We could team with the U.K. and Israel, for instance, and world domination would be ours. :D

Evil Hobgoblin, that was actually pretty funny, but I don't think true. I love foreign cinema and have a fair appreciation of other cultures, but I still think ours is the best, so I'm fairly critical of some parts of other societies. For instance, the idiocy of a lazy country without restaurants open at normal hours, AHEM, Italy, really makes me mad. When I walked around one of their stupid towns for 5 hours until 4 p.m., I finally had to go to McDonalds because every real restaurant was closed. "Oh gratzi, gratzi, we take lunches, dinners, and afternoons off, even though we are a restaurant." "Uhh then we are we supposed to eat?" "Oh, umm, we hadn't thought about that." Foolish nonsense. I like Rome, the rest of the country, the other four or five towns we visited, were useless and straight out of the 1800s.

I think I'd like Japan a lot, but I cannot tolerate cultures that are still living in the stone age. I like first world countries with advanced technology, not quaint little rememberences of the pathetic days before the Internet and computers.

Other cultures may be valid, or they may not be, but I reserve the right, just as everyone else does, to be critical of them for their negative aspects and praise them for their best ones. Italy has a lot of beautiful architecture and is a pretty country to visit rich with history. The people are nice and friendly, Rome was awesome, but as for living there? They're 40 years behind us, at least.

The Japanese, on the other hand, are often six months ahead of us or more in some technology. Those guys know what's going on.

Darth Viscera
Mar 10th, 2003, 11:24:05 PM
Originally posted by JonathanLB
Yeah... right.

"And third, we could never hold it. It would be like a global Somalia."

True. That's another good point. :)

I didn't say we SHOULD conquer the world, sheesh, but our military is so vastly superior to every military in the world it's hardly close. We could team with the U.K. and Israel, for instance, and world domination would be ours. :D

Yeah, so long as the Britons don't accidently invade Spain instead of France again ;)

Diego Van Derveld
Mar 10th, 2003, 11:28:12 PM
China has far larger an army than we do, and if they've done their bit of shopping in the Manchurian Bazaar, then they've also acquired the Su-37, the most maneuverable superiority fighter in the world. Nothing America has even comes close to it.

Evil Hobgoblin
Mar 11th, 2003, 12:15:02 AM
Unless we sent Jon in to give them his opinions on their culture. Morale would break pretty badly at that point, I think.

Evil Hobgoblin, that was actually pretty funny, but I don't think true. I love foreign cinema and have a fair appreciation of other cultures, but I still think ours is the best, so I'm fairly critical of some parts of other societies.

Ha, ha, ha, ha! I make a comment on how you're critical of other cultures, then you deny it, then you turn around and agree with me, then you go on to expound upon a country you find lazy, and THEN you describe your right to have critical opinions of other cultures! Does anybody else see the sheer irony in this? I mean, seriously, that was not your best moment Jon! I'm inclined to think you just disagreed with that statement out of habit and didn't actually think about what you were disagreeing with.

For instance, the idiocy of a lazy country without restaurants open at normal hours, AHEM, Italy, really makes me mad.

Do please define normal in a way that isn't based solely on your own opinions. I'm very interested in seeing what you come up with.

When I walked around one of their stupid towns for 5 hours until 4 p.m., I finally had to go to McDonalds because every real restaurant was closed. "Oh gratzi, gratzi, we take lunches, dinners, and afternoons off, even though we are a restaurant." "Uhh then we are we supposed to eat?" "Oh, umm, we hadn't thought about that." Foolish nonsense.

I think that real foolish nonsense is a country's smaller towns that don't get much international tourism and don't particularly cater to it being expected to.

I like Rome, the rest of the country, the other four or five towns we visited, were useless and straight out of the 1800s.

Your complaints are falling on deaf ears here, I'm afraid. I'd love to be able to visit a country that still has those styles in play. Unfortunately, I can't afford to travel outside my own state, let alone my own country.

I think I'd like Japan a lot, but I cannot tolerate cultures that are still living in the stone age. I like first world countries with advanced technology, not quaint little rememberences of the pathetic days before the Internet and computers.

You know, the Internet basically came into commercial usage in the US during the 1990s and there hundreds of places in the US that aren't wired yet. Given that fact, why would you expect every other country in the planet to be at the same level of technological advancement?

Other cultures may be valid, or they may not be, but I reserve the right, just as everyone else does, to be critical of them for their negative aspects and praise them for their best ones.

And I reserve the right to pick apart the biases and logical fallacies in your point of view. :)

Italy has a lot of beautiful architecture and is a pretty country to visit rich with history. The people are nice and friendly, Rome was awesome, but as for living there? They're 40 years behind us, at least.

I'm sure they don't want you as much as you don't want them.

The Japanese, on the other hand, are often six months ahead of us or more in some technology. Those guys know what's going on.

I don't believe technological superiority is the best measure of a culture. A country can build a nuclear bomb, but the culture behind the country will determine whether it is used without true cause.

Darth Viscera
Mar 11th, 2003, 12:40:49 AM
I don't believe technological superiority is the best measure of a culture. A country can build a nuclear bomb, but the culture behind the country will determine whether it is used without true cause.

Not so in Iran, where the leaders (those who are non-elected, that is) do not represent the culture of the country. Iranians would not use the bomb, or decide to send out the Hezbollah to bomb a jewish community center. It's their Sheikhs and Ayatollahs and other immoral men who do that.