PDA

View Full Version : Vanilla Pepsi?!?

Taylor Millard
Mar 7th, 2003, 07:17:39 PM
From FOX News.com:

http://foxnews.com/story/0,2933,80552,00.html

Pepsi May Add New Flavor to Challenge Vanilla Coke

NEW YORK — Coca-Cola (KO) may soon face another Pepsi challenge if its main rival in the cola business adds another flavor to the Pepsi-Cola lineup, industry sources said Friday.

PepsiCo Inc. (PEP)'s Pepsi-Cola soft drink unit would not confirm if a new drink would have a vanilla flavor like Coca-Cola Co.'s newest additions, Vanilla and Diet Vanilla Coke, which debuted last year.

"We have not determined what the next innovation will be," Larry Jabbonsky, a spokesman for Pepsi-Cola, told Reuters.

Industry newsletter Beverage Digest reported Friday that Pepsi is considering introducing a vanilla cola later this year. A Wall Street analyst had similar comments.

"In a marketing strategy to revitalize its cola business, we believe PepsiCo is planning to enter the vanilla cola segment in August," Morgan Stanley's Bill Pecoriello said in a note Friday.

When Pepsi-Cola, the No. 2 player in soft drinks behind Coca-Cola, announced the launch of berry-flavored Pepsi Blue in early 2002, it said vanilla was on the list of flavors it had been considering for new drinks.

Since then, the company has not given any indication that a vanilla-flavored product would be added to its drink lineup.

"We're looking at the next innovation under the Pepsi trademark," Pepsi-Cola's Jabbonsky said. He added it is still too early to say what that innovation may be.

"It makes sense for Pepsi to consider this," said John Sicher, editor of Beverage Digest. "To the extent that some Pepsi drinkers migrated to Vanilla Coke, this would help bring them back to the Pepsi fold."

Less than two weeks ago, Atlanta-based Coca-Cola and Pepsi-Cola, based in Purchase, New York, unveiled plans for new drinks in bids to grow their shares of the all-important U.S. soft drink market.

Coca-Cola said on Feb. 25 it would launch Sprite Remix, a new "tropical" version of its lemon-lime soft drink Sprite, in the late spring.

The same day, Pepsi said it would launch Mountain Dew LiveWire, a new orange-flavored Mountain Dew, in the United States later this year.

LiveWire is Mountain Dew's third line extension since Diet Mountain Dew came out in 1988. Mountain Dew Code Red debuted in May 2001 and Diet Mountain Dew Code Red followed last May.

Mountain Dew Code Red has been a hit for Pepsi-Cola, but the company has said that Pepsi Blue has not met expectations.

Gee I wonder why...Good gravy...

Jedieb
Mar 7th, 2003, 07:22:20 PM
Pepsi Blue sucks. It's basically the distilled juice from Apu's Squishy machine. Stay away at all costs! I'm drinking a Vanilla Coke right now. I'm kind of hooked. I'm a long time Pepsi drinker, but I do like this new Vanilla Coke. I can see why Pepsi wants to get into that niche.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 7th, 2003, 07:37:35 PM
Oh, Vanilla Coke rawks. It's a poofy drink real men can enjoy :D

JonathanLB
Mar 7th, 2003, 07:38:28 PM
Well put, Jedieb. I was a Pepsi fan mainly, but with Vanilla Coke, that basically became my new favorite drink, so I haven't had much Pepsi since.

I've never tried Pepsi Blue, but I do want to try it at least so I can say I have, hehe.

Mountain Dew LiveWire and Sprite Remix, tight!!! I can't wait. :) Yet more ways to rot my teeth, haha. j/k, I limit myself to maybe one or two pops per week at most anymore. Other times if I have more than that, I just brush my teeth immediately afterwards.

I really like Mountain Dew Code Red. That stuff is excellent. The problem was that I mixed it with lots and lots of vodka back at LMU and ever since haven't had more than two. Whoops.

Jedieb
Mar 7th, 2003, 08:28:24 PM
lol Marcus.

I've never been into Mountain Dew or any of these other high caffeine drinks. Before they got appropriated by "Extreme" slackers on skate boards, MD was just a foul tasting soda you'd get if the machine was out of Pepsi or Coke. I missed the whole "extreme" revolution and their hyper accelerated drinks. I'm so out of touch....

Dae Jinn
Mar 7th, 2003, 08:57:14 PM
Knew about this a awhile ago. First Cherry, now Vanilla. Vanilla coke is the yum, Cherry Pepsi was great, but Pepsi Blue? Sick sick sick. :x

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 7th, 2003, 10:21:18 PM
I actually I like Pepsi Blue better than Vanilla coke, but hey I am weird :p

JMK
Mar 7th, 2003, 11:50:22 PM
Anyone remember crystal pepsi, or the SNL spinoff, crystal gravy??

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 7th, 2003, 11:58:36 PM
Crystal Pepsi was awful, what about Surge:x that stuff was horrible the worst drink ever. It is so bad that I think you could put it your car battery and it would run great.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Mar 8th, 2003, 12:32:05 AM
In November I was in Chicago at a hotel that offered very little choice in it's vending machines. I dislike Pepsi....alright, I hate Pepsi but that and water was all there was.

The Pepsi Blue looked interesting and I figured it couldnt be any worse tasting than regular Pepsi........man, was I wrong!! I took one little drink and poured the rest down the drain! I wasted $1.50 on that nasty stuff! Never again!

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 8th, 2003, 12:32:09 AM
Crystal gravy was awesome!

Pepsi Blue is so disgusting :x

Dae Jinn
Mar 8th, 2003, 12:40:19 AM
I liked Pepsi Clear :uhoh I love pepsi, but any dark cola bevy will do...:lol

JediBoricua
Mar 8th, 2003, 01:06:17 AM
Vanilla Coke is my newest addiction. Whenever I go to pump gas I buy a bottle, rent videos, I buy a bottle, before class I buy a bottle, they got me bad.

Pepsi Blue! Ugh! I got a free sample at a mall and I told the saleswoman that it felt as if someone was trying to choke you from inside your throat. Horrible!

JonathanLB
Mar 8th, 2003, 02:33:43 AM
Wow this is great for Pepsi Blue marketing slogans, man you guys should start sending letters! ;)

Pepsi is much better than Coke. I fail to see how anyone could hate Pepsi and like Coke. I guess if you like drinking battery acid, then perhaps. Vanilla Coke is the only drinkable coke they've ever made and it is actually really good. It totally gets rid of that previous syrup-like taste that Coke always has, which is just disgusting.

There are normal pops, then there are diet pops, however. ANY pop is better than ANY diet drink. Diet anything = utter crap filled with nutrasweet that you'd have to be 90 years old not to notice how bad it tastes. I tried diet Barqs rootbeer once and, well, didn't finish it. About 1/3 of it was plenty for me, then my throat started feeling all dried up like I just drank poison. It's that disgusting nutra sweet. If you want cancer, though, just go on and keep drinking diet drinks. You might not get fat, but you will die of cancer before you die of obesity :)

Jedieb, I disagree about Mountain Dew. I always liked it a lot. It's a good drink, but with Code Red, there's not much point in normal Mountain Dew. Plus, no pop has even close to enough caffeine to be effective. Red Bull, Amp, and SoBe Adrenaline Rush, now those are real drinks. I couldn't get nearly as much work done without 'em, hehe.

Surge wasn't bad, I mean it wasn't that great, but it was just a more highly caffeinated MD.

D'raaj A'arkantheil
Mar 8th, 2003, 03:08:30 AM
My soda can colors are red and white. My Chinese food is always ordered five or six star, and I put curry in most anything I cook.

Call me crazy, but I like a bit of zing to things, and I like flavor in my food and drink.

The Rockstar energy drink is the only one I have found to work,a nd have a taste that doesn't make you want to retch, or leave a terrible pong on one's mouth.

I like Coke better, and I like Vanilla Coke very much. Pepsi isn't bad, but it's too bland, no kick. Well, not enough for me, but this is the guy who puts more hot spices and peppers in his shrimp'n'hotroot soup than anything else.

JonathanLB
Mar 8th, 2003, 03:24:27 AM
Never heard of that energy drink before. I'd love to try it.

I've tried four types so far I suppose, some stupid ghetto $0.94 energy drink I got at QFC included.

Energy drinks cheaper than $2 each are ghetto and don't work. Haha, j/k, but so far that seems to be true. Dang things are expensive.

D'raaj A'arkantheil
Mar 8th, 2003, 03:45:45 AM
Rockstar is about a buck ninetey-nine around here, but it's a 16 oz size, not the pathetic 8 oz like Red Bullcrap or Wimp Aff. Good stuff. Got me through an entire night of workign on my mom's car in a 34 degree garage.

JonathanLB
Mar 8th, 2003, 04:22:14 AM
I love Amp, but Red Bull works well too. It just doesn't taste as good (though it's more powerful, 80mgs of caff. vs. 75 for Amp).

I'll have to try that. 16 oz? Weird, hehe, they're normally 80. That stuff must be loaded.

Amp is awesome, the healthiest of the energy drinks I have seen so far. Taurine, Ginseng, Maltodextrin, B-vitamins, and Guarana, or MDX5 (as they call it). I think if you had one of those per day you'd decrease your chances of getting sick quite significantly. Those are all healthy ingredients that do not just help you focus or stay awake, but also provide long-term benefits. Red Bull has Taurine, but I don't think it has Guarana or Ginseng.

Fortunately I never get sick anyway pretty much, so I don't worry too much. The last time I was actually seriously ill was probably 5 years ago. My immune system is almost impervious ;)

Shawn
Mar 8th, 2003, 06:07:41 AM
Anyone remember crystal pepsiActually, I liked Crystal Pepsi quite a bit. :)

I like Pepsi from a fountain, but otherwise, I won't touch either Pepsi or Coke. Vanilla Coke is absolutely yum, and I'm not even sure why they still make normal coke any longer. ;) I only like a can every once in a while, though.

The only soda I actually like to indulge in is Bawls (http://www.bawls.com/). Perfect citrusy flavor and enough juice to power the Kremlin for the next 10 years.

JonathanLB
Mar 8th, 2003, 08:10:46 AM
"I'm not even sure why they still make normal coke any longer."

That's actually a good point! :D

Admiral Lebron
Mar 8th, 2003, 08:46:05 AM
I never liked Pepsi products. 7UP is just ikcy and Pepsi tasted too watery.. Oh well. I don't drink much soda anyways.

JonathanLB
Mar 8th, 2003, 09:58:20 AM
7 Up is classic dude! That's what you always have when you're sick, too, because it's the least like a pop and not all disgusting. It's a bit more bland, but always classic.

Hadrian Invicta
Mar 8th, 2003, 10:08:16 AM
Diet Vanilla Coke is the only Coca-Cola product I will drink.

Reasons? Coke has never made an effort to produce diet versions of the majority of their drinks on mass scale. For every product Pepsi has they have a diet form. Why is this important?

I'm diabetic, I can't have regular soft drinks, Coke doesn't really give a rats patooey but Pepsi makes a concerted effort to create a Diet for their consumers who can not or choose not to consume sugar in the quanities that Soft drinks have

JonathanLB
Mar 8th, 2003, 10:18:40 AM
Dang, that does suck.

If I were a diabetic, I'd just drink water or juice because diet pop is worse than drinking cat urine. I'd rather scoop up pond scum and drink it than pay for a diet drink of any sort. :lol

Jedieb
Mar 8th, 2003, 11:13:06 AM
Pepsi and Coke spend BILLIONS on advertising year after year in the sometimes bloody Cola Wars. Here is the result;

Waiter: "What would you like to drink?"
Diner: "Coke."
Waiter:"Is Pepsi alright?"
Diner: "Yeah, whatever."

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Mar 8th, 2003, 11:36:19 AM
'Coke' has always been Coca-Cola to me. Thats it's name. Pepsi is Pepsi. 'Softdrink' encompasses both.

Dae Jinn
Mar 8th, 2003, 11:59:58 AM
It's all "pop" :mneh :lol

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 8th, 2003, 12:33:47 PM
Surge ug, that stuff was nasty, the worst thing I ever drank, I can't believe coke came up with that crap, it looked like battery acid and tasted like it too.

JMK
Mar 8th, 2003, 01:09:53 PM
I'm glad I never subjected myself to it. It did sound like a foul tasting drink.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 8th, 2003, 01:20:04 PM
Sprite > 7 Up

JMK
Mar 8th, 2003, 01:54:35 PM
Yes, totally.

Admiral Lebron
Mar 8th, 2003, 02:14:37 PM
I make a better a lemon-lime drink by adding lime juice and club soda to lemonade then 7UP.

JMK
Mar 8th, 2003, 02:20:16 PM
But is regular 7-UP supposed to be a citrus soda? In any event, Sprite is its competition and I love sprite far more than 7-UP.

Figrin D'an
Mar 8th, 2003, 02:56:27 PM
The 7-UP formula was changed a few years ago to be more citrus-oriented, because it's sales were being cut into by drinks like Sprite, Slice, Sierra Mist, etc. The old 7-UP was a the perfect mixing soda... that's why I liked it. Now, it's just a knock off of the other citrus sodas.

Coke > Pepsi for me. I used to be the other way around, but I eventually decided that Pepsi has too much carbonation and is not as flavorful. Vanilla Coke is a great variant, but as an occassional change of pace... too much in a short period of time, and I get sick of it. Dr. Pepper is a nice change, too. I've never been able to get into the "extreme" sodas either... I like Mountain Dew well enough that I'll drink it if there is nothing else (that and the stuff kept me conscious in high school), but the new stuff just doesn't grab me. There's something to be said for the classic beverages, IMO.

Anyone remember how badly Coca-Cola screwed up when they introduced "New Coke" back in the mid '80's? Now there was a truely horrid soft drink... die hard Coke drinkers switched to Pepsi because of it. :x

Of course, for me... it's hard to beat a really good traditional style root beer. :)

JMK
Mar 8th, 2003, 03:04:22 PM
Root beer is AWESOME. You're right though, only the traditional ones. I do remember that new coke wave, and it was terrible.

How many people here look to the generic sodas because they are like half the price of the regular sodas?

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 8th, 2003, 03:39:52 PM
Hehe I should, but I'm a sucker for a Coke. :D

I took the Pepsi Challenge, and I picked Coke, and I said, "Yup I told you I liked Coke better." :D

JMK
Mar 8th, 2003, 04:23:15 PM
:lol
I love those tests! And I especially love it when the testers get screwed!

JediBoricua
Mar 8th, 2003, 05:22:46 PM
I took it too, and chose Coke!

My mom only drinks coke so you can say I was raised with the stuff. But I do drink Pepsi, specially when you can buy the big bottle for .59$ at the supermarket.

Sanis Prent
Mar 8th, 2003, 08:32:18 PM
I liked crystal pepsi, to a degree.

Most pepsi products now though, I can't stand. They add too much sugar, and not enough taste. That, and they want to make commemorative cans with the Pledge of Allegiance, and leave "Under God" off the can. For the love of pete, just don't go there! So, I boycott their products, cause that's just stupid.

Not that I drink any of their stuff anyways. I prefer coke vastly more than pepsi, and vanilla coke even moreso. Diet Vanilla Coke is one of the best diet drinks ever made. Also, I can't stand 7up, Mountain Dew, Pepsi Blue (BLARG), etc. And strangely enough, I actually like Surge.

JonathanLB
Mar 8th, 2003, 08:50:39 PM
In all honesty I wouldn't drink either a Coke or a Pepsi unless it was the only thing there to drink, including water. If I'm going to have the sugar and rot my teeth, I'd rather save it for a drink worth having. That means maybe Wild Cherry Pepsi (very good), Vanilla Coke perhaps, but otherwise something else entirely.

"How many people here look to the generic sodas because they are like half the price of the regular sodas?"

Umm, no. I'm not a cheap skate. :) I like my brand names. I still contend that Ralph Lauren IS Polo -- there is no other polo shirt except cheap rip offs. Heck when I was like 14 I had no idea there was a different between a polo shirt and a Ralph Lauren polo shirt. I thought when you said "polo shirt" that meant it had the polo dude on it, i.e. Ralph Lauren. I still would argue that. Any other polo shirt is a waste of my time and money. :D

Brand names rock. You gotta pay 3 times as much because it makes you 3 times as cool. Haha, j/k. That was sarcasm (pointing this out for those people who don't know). We had people in our high school like that. Actually, that WAS my high school. Lots of wealthy kids who wore Abercrombie and Fitch.

I do like buying real cereals and real drinks, however, not no brand name nonsense. I don't trust that stuff personally. I am loyal to the brands that I've trusted for many years.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 8th, 2003, 08:58:16 PM
I'm not crazy about regular Coke or Pepsi. Given a choice between the two, I'll drink Dr. Pepper.

For almost any soda, give me Fresca or Bawls. Or a good root beer.

Or a good beer.

mmmm beeer.

Ka' el Darcverse
Mar 8th, 2003, 09:19:49 PM
Originally posted by JonathanLB
I do like buying real cereals and real drinks, however, not no brand name nonsense. I don't trust that stuff personally. I am loyal to the brands that I've trusted for many years.

Then we in the advertising world have done our job, muwhahahah, hahaha, hahaha, hahack cough gag, hack cough

Durn Camels!

imported_Marcus
Mar 8th, 2003, 09:21:56 PM
Water :D

Sanis Prent
Mar 8th, 2003, 09:32:58 PM
UGH, Marketing. The profession of Satan. Ok, only because my professor was a total dickweed, but the assertion remains :)

As far as my drink preferences...I'm much more likely to just get some cold water out of the tap. I'm poor. Water's free. Water is also good, and I can drink it in mass quantities (I drink around 2 gallons a day).

Brand preference, seeing that a vast quantity of products made have competition that are made identically, is not something I adhere to. Clothing is notorious for this. Avoid labels, as you can find the EXACT SAME CLOTHES under no-name brands, for lots less. Food (cereal included) is exactly the same. Buying name brand should be a last, reluctant resort. I can't find a cheap substitute for Vanilla Coke, so I'll make due ;)

Or a good beer.

That...is another matter entirely.

JMK
Mar 8th, 2003, 10:18:30 PM
I overlooked water totally. Good ole H20 is my favorite too, and I should drink 2 gallons a day to keep my troubled kidney going, but I think if I drank that much my saline levels would be pissed right out and I'd faint. I should probably start with trying to get to 1 gallon a day then worry about the second. :\

JonathanLB
Mar 8th, 2003, 10:29:07 PM
2 gallons a day, jeez.

"Then we in the advertising world have done our job"

Heck yeah! I buy whatever I last saw an ad for on TV. haha, j/k.

Good beer? Military intelligence? Good woman driver?

What do those three things have in common? Not one of them is actually possible!!! :D

I heard all that BS about how you should drink 8 glasses of water per day or whatever, during the whole bottled water craze, and also this crap that if you become thirsty "that means you are already dehydrated." That's not true at all. It's a bunch of bantha poodoo. First, there is no sufficient evidence that you need 8 glasses of water a day. Second, you are thirsty LONG before you are dehydrated, so whoever made that up is a frickin' moron. I read a CNN report a few months ago that pointed to a report dispelling both of those myths and I was glad because I had long argued out of pure common sense that you are fine when you're thirsty as long as you go get something to drink soon.

It's like what Ben says. These idiots are like, "Oh it's better for your back if you sit up like a stiff idiot," and Ben said, "NO! I think I would know what is best for my own back and that's whatever feels the best." Damn right. I always slump in my chair and I sure as to hell am not going to sit up like a board because that's BAD for my back, that feels uncomfortable, it IS unnatural, and anyone who can't tell what's good for themself has to be a bit retarded. I mean you know sticking a fork in your eye is a bad thing. Just the same, you know if you go get water when you're thirsty that's perfectly healthy, or that comfortable chairs should be soft, not hard.

It's when you already have a bad back that you need stiff support (like my dad, who has a terrible back), but otherwise whatever is comfortable is best.

Oh right, drinks, yes. I think I'll be having a Red Bull or two tonight. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 8th, 2003, 10:34:40 PM
Water is better for you Jon, not sure about the 8 glasses bit, it might depend on person to person but Water is better for you. Also soda will make you dehydraded especially caffinated sodas like Coke and Pepsi.

imported_Marcus
Mar 8th, 2003, 10:35:53 PM
Good woman driver?

My wife would blast your backside away around a track or a road.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 8th, 2003, 10:44:48 PM
Avoid labels, as you can find the EXACT SAME CLOTHES under no-name brands, for lots less ABSOLUTELY TRUE.

Identical clothes. IDENTICAL. In every sense, except for the label. Two or three of our clients sew and import products from Guatemala and Columbia. If the generic looks the same, its probably not a knock-off. Its likely the exact same product with a different label.

I cannot emphasize how stupid it is to buy brand name clothing when there are identical alternatives.

Hadrian Invicta
Mar 8th, 2003, 10:47:09 PM
Looks at Marcus' statement...

"Is that the exception that proves the rule?"

No Good Beer? Are you mad? I think i should report that post to the moderator....

*Stumbles off muttering something about insanity of saying no such thing as good beer...*

JonathanLB
Mar 8th, 2003, 10:59:09 PM
Beer is absolutely disgusting a lot of the time, other times it is tolerable, but it is never good. Anyone who says otherwise has acquired the taste, which is great for them and allows them to enjoy getting drunk, lol, but beer is nasty. It just cannot be good with what is there. It's all disgusting, some just more disgusting than others.

I can tolerate Bud Light because it's essentially water and alcohol and not much bitter or gross there, but dark beers are universally horrid and beer in general, yikes, worst thing ever. If beer didn't have alcohol in it, nobody would ever drink it.

Carr, of course, who said otherwise? I didn't say drinking pop was better than drinking water. I said you don't need 8 glasses a day. That was just a nice ploy by bottled water companies for more cashola.

Marcus -- it was a joke :)

I make no judgment as to who is or is not better at driving, but I will say people who constantly drive with a lot of people in the car are worse drivers, people who drive while talking on the cell phone are worse drivers, people who drive after drinking, even just a bit, are worse drivers, and people who fail to put on their turn signals and do very simple things are worse drivers. It is pure laziness that people can't even bother flipping their turn signal when changing lanes. Those types of people are not just sloppy in their driving, but sloppy human beings in general who are incapable of following any basic common sense or achieving anything. What you do in one part of your life is going to echo in every other part. If you don't flush the toilet, leave your trash on the floor, then it's logical to assume such a person is not going to put on turn signals and will never hold a decent job either. It's just basic good manners and common sense -- TURN SIGNALS. USE 'EM. I hate stupid people.

Sanis Prent
Mar 8th, 2003, 11:08:03 PM
<Font size=40><font color=FF0000>SOMEBODY HOLD ME BACK!!</font></font>

Hitler was a vegetarian. Jon hates beer. One of my life mottos, is never to trust anyone who refuses meat or mead.

Milivikal k'Vik
Mar 8th, 2003, 11:16:03 PM
Carr, of course, who said otherwise? I didn't say drinking pop was better than drinking water. I said you don't need 8 glasses a day. That was just a nice ploy by bottled water companies for more cashola. Incorrect. This has been a reccomendation since the 1950s (and prolly before that), before cheap plastic vessels were common.

Not everything is clever marketing.

Hadrian Invicta
Mar 8th, 2003, 11:18:14 PM
shhh.... don't give away our secrets. The more people think we are geniuses the more they will pay us for our services, your ruining it!!!!

Aurelias Kazaar
Mar 8th, 2003, 11:38:12 PM
Beer is absolutely disgusting a lot of the time, other times it is tolerable, but it is never good. Anyone who says otherwise has acquired the taste, which is great for them and allows them to enjoy getting drunk, lol, but beer is nasty. It just cannot be good with what is there. It's all disgusting, some just more disgusting than others.

I can tolerate Bud Light because it's essentially water and alcohol and not much bitter or gross there, but dark beers are universally horrid and beer in general, yikes, worst thing ever. If beer didn't have alcohol in it, nobody would ever drink it.

Someone needs to save him...and FAST! :lol

It depends on what beer you have, though. I suggest Sam Adams Cherry Wheat or Newcastle if you want a good beer. A VERY good beer. Those two are far from nasty.

Sanis Prent
Mar 8th, 2003, 11:50:03 PM
I could name a beer for almost any occasion. I generally prefer pale ales, though I enjoy hefeweizens, brown ales, pilsners, and irish stouts as well. It really depends on a lot of factors. My reccomendations include Murphy's Pub Stout, Newcastle, Sapporo, Rogue's Dead Guy, Hacker Pschorr Weisse Dark, and Bass...though I love many others. Depends on the occasion.

Figrin D'an
Mar 8th, 2003, 11:54:44 PM
mmmm.... Hacker Pschorr....

sorry... one of my favs. :)

Move along... move along....

JonathanLB
Mar 9th, 2003, 01:23:54 AM
"This has been a reccomendation since the 1950s"

Perhaps, but it was only pushed harder by bottled wated companies looking to cash in on this "fact," which has been disproven time and again. No evidence or valid research suggests you need that much water per day. It's like food, anyways. Not everyone needs the same amount of water every day, not everyone needs the same amount of food everyday. If I'm going to be running track one day (and I did used to run track; I was incredibly fast over short distances, good at long jump, and loved hurdles), or running a marathon, for instance, I'm going to need more water after doing these things. Also, if I happen to get finished with an 8 mile marathon (you won't see me doing that! lol), then I'm going to maybe eat a lot more than I might in another day. If it's sunny out, I'm going to drink more if I'm out in 90 degree heat.

Let me tell you, in Las Vegas last August when it was 95 to 105 every day, and 90 at night at the very coolest, I could drink a ton of water and pop and everything else and not even need to go to the bathroom more than twice a day because we'd walk around in that heat from place to place and it would simply evaporate. It was incredible. I had never seen anything like that. I had a few cokes one day (shame on me) at Coke World (that place is cool) and I didn't even need to go to the bathroom until many hours later, which was just odd.

As for beer, hey, I'll drink beer! I never said I wouldn't. I'd rather get drunk on beer than drunk on, say, Mike's Hard Lemonade. I like Mike's, but if I'm going to have the stuff, I want just one, maybe two, no more. I can drink 4-5 beers and be pretty highly buzzed depending on what I had to eat before. Beer is easy to drink compared to Mike's because after a while that citrus and alcohol flavor just gets to you. I still drink beer, certainly, but I just don't like it. I like the effect.

I think working out is a pain in the butt and a total waste of time while doing it, same with running for instance, but the result is good, so why not? It's worth doing. A lot of things are not enjoyable while doing them, but are worth doing only for their effect. It is good to remain healthy, no matter if running isn't the most fun thing to do, it's still good for your heart and might just help you live longer if you eat right and exercise well.

Shawn
Mar 9th, 2003, 07:30:14 AM
It depends on what beer you have, though. I suggest Sam Adams Cherry Wheat or Newcastle if you want a good beer. A VERY good beer. Those two are far from nasty.I've sampled just about every kind of beer under the sun, and I don't like a one of them. The closest thing to beer I like is Smirnoff Ice, and that doesn't really count.

JonathanLB
Mar 9th, 2003, 07:51:15 AM
Yes, yes, to Shawn you listen! That's exactly right, lol.

Smirnoff Ice is good stuff. I've probably had too much of it in the last 3-4 months so my taste for it has lessened. I actually highly recommend Mike's Hard Cranberry Lemonade. I thought the idea sounded really weird and just wrong when I first heard it, but I tried it and I think it's great, maybe one of the most pleasant alcoholic beverages.

JMK
Mar 9th, 2003, 10:28:05 AM
Beer is an acquired taste. I can't think of anyone that ever tried a beer for the first time and fell in love. No, Barney does not count.
The first few sips I had when I was a kid were awful, probably because it was either Budweiser or Old Milwaukee. Even after years of abusing beer, I still can't tolerate those 2. They taste like horse urine IMO. Irish stouts are great, and if you're hungry, you can have one and it would qualify as a complete meal. :)

JonathanLB
Mar 9th, 2003, 10:38:36 AM
Bud is my favorite beer actually, hehe. It's the most plain, which is the best. Every beer that attempts to taste like something else fails miserably. Beer is beer -- may as well embrace what it is and add nothing else. Bud Light is like water, which is the best. I know people who complain, "Oh Bud Light doesn't taste like anything, it's all watery, how can you like it?" EXACTLY, it IS all watery, and THAT is what's good about it! Jeez, lol.

Budweiser. King of Beers! (That's about like the saying, "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king").

JMK
Mar 9th, 2003, 11:56:11 AM
Budweiser is criminal. Might as well drink stale water, it would save alot of money, and at least you know it's stale. Bud at its best isn't drinkable. Bud light is even more shameful. :\

Sanis Prent
Mar 9th, 2003, 12:08:37 PM
I disagree. I prefer Bud light over Bud. Bud just tastes skunky, not sure why. Bud light tastes like alcoholic water. I can tolerate it, but you won't catch me buying it. Thats frat boy beer...the kind that other people pay for, and you drink for free.

And I can't stand those gut-rot citrus panty-droppers. Smirnoff Ice, Mike's, Bacardi Silver, etc. I hate them all. Its way too acidic, and not alcoholic enough for that. If I'm going to drink anything like that, I'll mix my own Long Island. At least that way, I know 1 or 2 cups of my personal mix will get me trashed. I can't take that tart crap for too long, not without a sleeve of Tums handy.

I'm not much of a mixed drink guy anyways. I can drink em every now and then, but not regularly. I'd much rather have beer, or whiskey, straight up. I can take straight whiskey like its kool-aid. Great stuff.

JMK
Mar 9th, 2003, 12:28:31 PM
My friend had to chug a 16 oz glass of JD for his 24th b-day. That was funny.
After thinking about it, you're right, Bud (light or regular) is frat boy beer, but even when I have access to it, I still refuse to drink it.
As for those citrus drinks, I can handle them well enough. The acid doesn't seem to bother me so much and I don't mind the taste at all. But it's a rare occasion when I actually buy a case, or in a club where they cost upwards of $8 each in some places. Depending on my mood I'm also game for mixed drinks. But most likely if I'm at a dinner and everyone has a nice glass of red wine (I hate ALL wines more than anything except Bud), I'm the one with a pint of Guiness or Kilkenny. :)

Sanis Prent
Mar 9th, 2003, 12:42:18 PM
I'm not much of a wine fan. It betrays my italian heritage, but I guess I'm finicky on what wines I can tolerate. Most taste nasty, though there are a few good vintages out there.

If you like Guinness, I suggest you try Murphys. Its even better still :)

Morgan Evanar
Mar 9th, 2003, 01:08:19 PM
I don't know how people can say beer is an aquired taste. For me, things are good, they're not good, or they're meh, and varying degrees of in-between.

If my sole experince with beer was bud/bud light, I'd be fairly anti-beer.

But I've had the good stuff, because thats what my old man likes.

I like beer because its malty. There is a thing called a "Coco Mint Malted" from WestSoy, and I'm crazy about them. But they're spensive.

Figrin D'an
Mar 9th, 2003, 01:13:22 PM
I know a fair amount about wine... far from being an expert, but far more than the average person. But, like anything else, some people just don't have a taste for it.

Bud Light is definately frat-boy beer (that and Coors). This is also one of the reasons that I came to abhor frat parties in college, but that is another matter.

Every beer that attempts to taste like something else fails miserably. Beer is beer -- may as well embrace what it is and add nothing else.

If you think beer is beer, your experience with different brews is extremely limited. Beer is, in general, an aquired taste. No argument there. But you're completely insane if Bud Light is your favorite beer. That just totally boggles my mind. Congrats... that's not an easy feat to accomplish.

Sanis Prent
Mar 9th, 2003, 01:13:57 PM
Ah...you're a malt fan. I'm all about hops. Thats my idea of rad, right there. Gimme an ESB, or an IPA, or similar, and I'm all there :D

Jedieb
Mar 9th, 2003, 05:27:45 PM
I actually enjoy Bud Light. But I'm not a big beer drinker. The taste just never appealed to me. I've tried a few ales and some of the stronger stuff and my palet just can't take it. Whenever I have any alcohol these days it's when my wife and I are out without the kids and then I usually limit myself to 1 Whiskey Sour. Jedieb=Lightweight :zzz

Nastiest cheap beers:
Keystone
Old Milwaukee(sp?)
ANy other volunteers?

Hadrian Invicta
Mar 9th, 2003, 05:35:57 PM
Are you insane, i only drinkk Budwieser and I am the king of anti-fraternities, hell I'm even the founder of Anti-greek week at my uni where dorm kids haze frat kids.

Bud = Great and I liked beer the first time I tasted it. In fact there's a funny story my parents tell about how the caught me sucking on the tap when I was 3 years old at a party they were at.

Sanis Prent
Mar 9th, 2003, 06:15:02 PM
:x no Bud is nasti!!! blech

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 9th, 2003, 06:27:19 PM
If you judged beer on say.... Fosters, then yes, it sucks. AND HOW CAN YOU SAY BUD IS DRINKABLE!!! It's swill! It's.... Fosters but with less alcohol!

James Boag is the onyl beer I like. It's a Tasmanian drop. Not bad actually.

Jedieb
Mar 9th, 2003, 06:38:29 PM
If you think you're hazing fraternity guys then you don't really know what the word means. Unless you are forcing them to go up to a grocery store teller dressed as an Indian chief and say; "Me Chief Broken Rubber, me want these rubbers for hot night on town with fellow Indian braves." then you're NOT hazing them. Making fun of them maybe, but not hazing. ;)

JonathanLB
Mar 9th, 2003, 07:02:25 PM
This just shows what incredible disagreement there is about what is good beer and what isn't.

"Bud light is even more shameful. "

Nah, I agree with what was said before, Bud Light is better than Bud. Indeed, at times, Bud can taste skunky where Bud Light just tastes like watery alcohol (that was well said before!).

I think Bud is the most drinkable of beers by far. I've tried a fair variety of beers, including various things that were supposed to have a lemon taste, or a strawberry taste, or whatever, and they never really had that taste, they were just disgusting. I can't down beer like that quickly, so it defeats the purpose. I can down a Bud Light really quickly and then move on to another, so that just makes more sense.

Most of the time though I have no time for beer. It just reduces your mental capacities and your speed, especially with typing, and I am always, perpetually behind schedule on my work, so usually I reach for the Red Bull's, not the Bud's, lol.

Frats suck. Bah.

Figrin, I am glad to have amazed you, that is my accomplishment for the day. Even if I write 14 pages today, I cannot possible outdo this momentous occassion. :)

As for wine, I really like wine, but I think the idea of serving any wine at room temperature is simply idiotic. I want my drinks cold, I don't care what they are, except for cider and hot chocolate. I can't think of any other exceptions. I don't even want hard alcohol that is room temperature, that's just nasty. It should be cold like anything else I drink. That's why I far prefer having a drink that mixes hard alcohol, not just drinking right from the bottle, haha. Vodka with Mountain Dew Code Red worked, for instance, rum and coke isn't too terrible (but I think rum is nasty), then I like these drinks that my mom makes, lemon drops, basically vodka in a lemon type of mixture, not exactly sure all that is there, but they're good.

Next year in my apartment, which will be NICE DARNIT (my current apartment is the cheapest in town, I swear, it's total crap -- you'd think I were poor, but I'm just being cheap to save money), I'm going to set up my own full bar just for myself and maybe my friends, but, no, myself. I have no friends there who drink, since Ben left, bah. Well it'll be MY bar, then. :) Ah that'll be tight, oh yeah gotta wait until the end of fall term though, because I'm not 21 until then, haha.

Jedieb
Mar 9th, 2003, 07:12:36 PM
I loved my Fraternity days. Most fraternity brothers don't like the word Frat, which is one of the main reasons non-Greeks use them. My first 2 years in college I was a non-Greek and I had a negative opinion of them. Then I decided to rush and it was one of my best college experiences. I made life long friends and I met my wife at one of our Halloween bashes.

We were just a bunch of slobs who used our dues to buy beer. At any campus you can find different kinds of fraternities. Jocks, well to do preppies, and guys just like the Deltas from Animal House. Ah, the good ol' days....

JonathanLB
Mar 9th, 2003, 08:01:38 PM
Well it would be interesting, but I would never join a community like that. I can't stand the herd mentality that goes with them, no offense. I mean, cleaning duties? Rush? Sleeping in a house with a bunch of other guys? Oh hell no.

I like my independence. I like to remain far from the madding crowd, haha. Plus I have too much work to do for that to be an option. That requires a lot of time that just isn't worthwhile to me. I am sure it would be fun, but I'm not in college to have fun. I'm here to get it over with and get a lot done while I'm doing that.

JediBoricua
Mar 9th, 2003, 08:13:10 PM
When drinking beer I'm mexican, Corona, Tres X, del Sol, they are all better than any american beer, or puertorican for that matter. I do drink the local stuff here because it's a lot cheaper.

Heineken is another favorite of mine, but it has to be extremely cold.

JonathanLB
Mar 9th, 2003, 08:17:45 PM
Ugg, Heineken is always skunky and gross, Corona is terrible and tastes like piss, IMO. I'm not a fan of imported beers so far. American beer is better.

Sanis Prent
Mar 9th, 2003, 08:51:34 PM
Not really. Depends on the type. Americans are better at specialty brews. British are better at ales, and germans at lagers.

JMK
Mar 9th, 2003, 08:55:05 PM
I also like most red beers, although they leave wicked hangovers.
I've good and bad experiences with Heineken, and while I used to live mexican beers, now after one my stomach is in knots. I just usually stick regular Canadian beers like Kokanee and Alexander Keith's.

Admiral Lebron
Mar 9th, 2003, 08:55:42 PM
Beer is icky.

I like my liquors.

JonathanLB
Mar 9th, 2003, 09:18:06 PM
Kokanee is not bad...

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 9th, 2003, 10:25:47 PM
LOL when I saw Sanis, say he doesn't trust anybody who drank beer, I rembered this quote from To be or Not to be (I think its in both versions. Mel Brooks/Jack Benny character was talking to the Nazi commander, and this German officer left the room the commander said,
"I don't trust any man who don't drink or smoke."
"Like our Fuhrer."
"Yes...No!"
That was a hilarious scene.

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Mar 9th, 2003, 11:07:52 PM
off topic now but I remember when Surge came out, our school arranged for us all to try it....one sip and it went into the trash, every last one, we didn't find even one kid that liked it...

Sanis Prent
Mar 9th, 2003, 11:42:06 PM
Carr, that's actually a parody of Dr. Strangelove, I believe :)

And JMK, if you can't take the Mexican brews, try Red Stripe. For some reason, thats the best lime beer I've ever tried. Wonderful stuff.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 10th, 2003, 12:07:14 AM
Well I don't know, I know it was in the Brooks version of To be or not be, not sure if he took it from the first verions or someplace else. I haven't seen the Benny version in a while.

JMK
Mar 10th, 2003, 08:14:33 AM
Murphy's and Red Stripe. I'm on it. :)

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Mar 10th, 2003, 09:00:25 AM
I also like most red beers, although they leave wicked hangovers

JMK, isnt the idea to stop before that point? ;)

Jedieb
Mar 10th, 2003, 09:25:37 AM
No, no, the idea is stop before you go home with the hulking she-male sitting at the end of the bar who's eating all of the peanuts and constantly shrieking; "Bartender, more trail mix!" Your friends are of no help whatsoever. They WANT you to go home with Big Bertha. That way they'll have something to rag you about for the rest of your days. Guys are evil that way. :evil

JMK
Mar 10th, 2003, 09:32:00 AM
Thanks for reminding me Lady Daq! :lol

Eb, that was RIGHT ON!