PDA

View Full Version : My personal computer has died.

Evil Hobgoblin
Mar 7th, 2003, 11:24:43 AM
Long story short, I've been getting "corrupt file" messages on my comp for about three weeks now. Running chkdsk, Spybot S&D, and Panda Anti-virus multiple times did not cure the problem and my computer's performance degraded. Now it puts up an error message whenever it tries to boot windows. Until I can reinstall an OS on it, it isn't going to work and I don't know when I will have an OS cd to install one.

This means (unfortunately) no games of WC 3 and no late night Internet sessions. I can still get online with the other computer in the house, but it is limited in what it can do and when I can get on it.

:\

Wei Wu Wei
Mar 7th, 2003, 11:36:15 AM
That sucks. Hope you can get your computer fixed. I know what it's like to have a computer that gives you crap all the time.

Kindred Dawnstrider
Mar 7th, 2003, 12:01:02 PM
I to have a computer that gives me crap 24/7 -_-

Figrin D'an
Mar 7th, 2003, 12:15:03 PM
Yuck... such things are never fun to deal with... :(

Unfortunately, the more "stuff" you place on an install of an OS (drivers, 3rd party software, etc), the OS slowly begins to get mucked up and function less efficiently... kind of a fact of life when dealing with computers.

If I may ask, what OS were you running? If anthing, this would be good opportunity to switch to something more robust, like XP, if you aren't already running it.

Evil Hobgoblin
Mar 7th, 2003, 12:37:33 PM
I was running XP, Fig. :)

Figrin D'an
Mar 7th, 2003, 12:48:47 PM
Ahh... well then, sounds like a clean install might be in order. When in doubt, back up and wipe clean. :)

Evil Hobgoblin
Mar 7th, 2003, 12:53:46 PM
Yep. Only thing I need is a good XP cd and I can restore the darn thing.

imported_Grev Drasen
Mar 9th, 2003, 12:28:40 PM
Are you running an HP by any chance?

Evil Hobgoblin
Mar 9th, 2003, 03:21:56 PM
I am actually running on a Compaq. The family comp is something else... dunno what, though.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 9th, 2003, 03:44:13 PM
Ugh. Compaqs are crap unless you have one of thier proffessional workstations.

Evil Hobgoblin
Mar 9th, 2003, 04:10:49 PM
They're not too bad if all you have from the original configuration is the hard drive. The motherboard's an Athlon now, the cd player is different (forget what), and the power supply and case are swapped, too.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 9th, 2003, 04:16:59 PM
Then its not a Compaq. At all. Sounds like its time to make it a completely custom build. www.newegg.com www.mwave.com

Seagate Barracuda IVs are really nice and quiet.

imported_Grev Drasen
Mar 9th, 2003, 04:18:51 PM
I was just going to say, newer HPs have a restore function built in so there's no need for an OS disk. I'm not sure about Compaq, since they seem to be with HP now.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 9th, 2003, 04:27:23 PM
Originally posted by Grev Drasen
I was just going to say, newer HPs have a restore function built in so there's no need for an OS disk. I'm not sure about Compaq, since they seem to be with HP now.

I could think of plenty of reasons you need a OS Disk. ALWAYS have backup media.

Figrin D'an
Mar 9th, 2003, 04:52:28 PM
OEM restore functions generally suck donkey bottom... too much superflous crap gets put on the machine. Your better off with an OS disk and a clean install.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 9th, 2003, 05:42:19 PM
Your being too nice to restore function Figrin. They are the absolute pits.

Figrin D'an
Mar 9th, 2003, 06:38:07 PM
I'd be more realistic, but I'd fear for my posting safety, as it would set off the censor multiple times. ;)

imported_Marcus
Mar 9th, 2003, 06:57:28 PM
I have to be a bit careful what I say about HP / Compaq - someone in this house is employed by them.

Besides, your quite right - the censor would kick in and your ears would bleed with the vitrol about HP internal IT. Even when I was working with Dell, it always amazed me how brain dead about computers they really were. It no longer surprises me why the typical resuce functions / disks are so woeful.

Lady Vader
Mar 9th, 2003, 09:16:08 PM
This means (unfortunately) no games of WC 3 and no late night Internet sessions.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Falls down on knees, shaking fists at an unseen force in the air.*

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:(

Well, dangnabit... get it fixed. :p

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 9th, 2003, 10:04:13 PM
YOU THREAD SHREDDER YOU WRECKED THE TABLES!!

*:headbash LV*

*sends Hobby's computer a "get well soon" card*
:(

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Mar 9th, 2003, 10:10:28 PM
*gets LV with water* bad kitty!

Brask
Mar 10th, 2003, 03:54:46 AM
*Takes computer's pulse*

Oh my!:eek