PDA

View Full Version : Coming of Age...

Ka' el Darcverse
Mar 6th, 2003, 06:11:02 PM
In all his time spent around the order, being raised by them, fleeing destruction and persecution by the Sith, the Hand, the Empire, he had only been in the Recruitment Center once.

Once in the 12 years he had spent amongst these noble keepers of the peace and defenders of order. One time he had stepped foot inside the hall in which a young Force Adept proved their mettle and placed their futures in the hands of the Order who would decide whether they had the gift and potential to serve the Galaxy, to attain the highest honor one could be given, the title of Jedi.

He had spent time learning the basics, he had spent years taught the code, he could recite it in his sleep. He understood the concepts and ideas that the council held dear and the Jedi before them. Order, Justice, and Peace; words that couldn't just be preached, they must be enforced.

It's amazing...

He thought as he gazed upon the marvelous architecture, it endowed feelings of calm and serenity. The same emotions a Jedi had to enstill when they encountered the rest of the galaxy outside the walls of the Order.

The boy stepped through the open doors and into the middle of the great hall. He was relatively tall, standing 1.9 meters and had an athletic build and nimble build, not weighing much more than 90 kilos. His smooth young face had strong features, a square jaw, broad nose, blue yet brooding eyes. His hair though covered in his grey cloak was, light brown and his thick eyebrows as well. Over his body he wore a dark grey robe, the traditional cloak of the Jedi, under it he wore a light colored tunic and a grey vest. A pair of loose trousers which where held up by a sash and black leather riding boots, completed his garb.

As he approached the center of the hall he knelt to one knee and then spoke; "I am Ka' el Darcverse, a student of the Order, I have come to be assigned a Master, so that I may train as a Padawan Learner."

His voice was clear and bright, a light baritone which would grow deeper and more powerful as he grew matured. He had spoken all that he need say for the moment and awaited the arrival of someone to greet him. His journey had begun...

Figrin D'an
Mar 9th, 2003, 10:26:41 PM
Spending any time in the recruitment center was a rarity for Figrin. It had many years since he had taken on a padawan learner. Part of it was his workload. Senate and Council duties took up much of his time. But, there was something else as well. Figrin didn't deny that past students of his had seccumbed to the shadow. He didn't blame himself for the temptations that others had embraced. Perhaps, though, in the back of his mind, he was hesitant to take new students, and he allowed his schedule to be more of an excuse that it really should be.

It was a mental monologue he'd had with himself more than once. He would feel compelled, once in a great while, to take a few moments to watch the young Jedi students be accepted as padawans. There were some knights and masters that trained others constantly. It was a quality that Figrin respected... the Order needed those kind of consumate teachers. He himself would never be able to teach with that kind of incessent vigilance.

But, neverless, he felt the urge to teach again. It was a fickle thing... rising and falling like a tide. It was just a matter of choosing to act on his instincts.

Figrin watched a young Jedi enter the room, and kneel before the potential masters. He seemed confident, strong-willed, with perhaps a bit of a recklessness to his demeanor. He had a good heart, though. The Force told Figrin this, without doubt. That was the compelling factor. The Jedi Master chose to follow his instincts, and stepped forward to greet the young man.

"Tell me," Figrin began, walking slowly towards the learner, "what kind of experiences are you looking for in your apprenticeship?"

It was straight-forward, but would ultimately be very telling of the young man's mindset.

Ka' el Darcverse
Mar 10th, 2003, 10:39:55 AM
"I wish to experience the full spectrum of duties a Knight must encounter. Whether it be battling Sith or negotiating a peace treaty, I wish to be able to hold my own in all scenarios." Ka' el replied.

The young man, did seek adventure, but he was patient and he was understanding. He knew that a Jedi was more than just galavanting around the Galaxy defeating Sith, there were diplomatic duties as well.

"I will not try to hide it from you Master D'an, I know my thoughts are not safe. I want to do my part to rid the galaxy of evil and help restore the order and Peace that the old Jedi Order held for so many millenia." He paused for a moment, "But I respect the code and abide by it, my zealousy will be tempered with patience, but I need someone who can teach me to tame my eagerness."

Figrin D'an
Mar 16th, 2003, 09:49:32 PM
Figrin's eyes opened a bit more, in mild surprise. He admits he is eager to battle the Dark Side, the Jedi silently acknowledged. Many would see that as a dangerous attitude... there were those that believed that darkness sought out was darkness of the greatest temptation. It was well documented, the instances of Jedi falling because for that very kind of zeal.

But... the young man also acknowledged it as a weakness. He openly sought teachings that would help him quiet his aggressive tendancies. Admitting ones own faults, particularly at the pivotal moment of seeking an apprenticeship, took courage. Knowing oneself was the first real step to becoming a Jedi. By Figrin's estimation, Ka' el was passing a very important test. Passing... but not yet complete.

"Tell me... when you hear someone speak of the Jedi, be it in praise or in contempt... what is you initial reactionary thought?"

Ka' el Darcverse
Mar 17th, 2003, 03:32:19 PM
Ka' el looked at the man slightly puzzled he was unsure how the question was to be answered but he would answer it the best way he knew how. He looked directly into the eyes of Master D'an and prepared to speak, his cold blue eyes seemingly piercing the Master's soul.

"If someone speaks highly of the Jedi, it warms my heart, it reminds me of why we exsist and the good we bring to the Galaxy," He said softly, pausing to gather his thoughts before continuing. "When I hear som one speak poorly of our Order I am reminded of the power we wield and how it is a dual-edged blade, it can bring about great good and in the same stroke bring about great suffering. We must be ever mindful of this and use the knowledge that we make mistakes to keep us humble and safe from the temptations of the Darkside."

Ka' el then closed his eyes and bowed his head as he awaited the man's reaction to his answer.

Figrin D'an
Mar 30th, 2003, 11:28:59 PM
An interesting response..., thought Figrin. He paced a bit, resting his hands comfortably behind his back.

The young man was being open and honest... a necessity for any padawan to have a successful apprenticeship. It was a trait that Figrin liked to see in students. Some would say what they knew would placate their master's own beliefs, despite personal thoughts to the contrary. Similarly, some masters prefered for their students to be submissive, being only quite observers while mindlessly following their teacher. Figrin liked neither of these philosophies.

A padawan, while being a learner, needed to have a moral compass. And a master, while being a guide, needed to allow experience to be an instructor.

The Jedi had made up his mind... with proper guidance, Ka' el's potential could be realized.

"You will find in time," Figrin began, "that your approach to that dicotical view that society puts forth, will be one of your most important allies, or greatest detriments.

Figrin stopped in front of Ka' el, his expression allowing a bit of light-heartedness to shine through his generally serious contemplative exterior.

"But, for the moment, there are other things to consider. For example, whether or not you wish to become my padawan learner."

Ka' el Darcverse
Mar 31st, 2003, 04:28:50 PM
I am to be the apprentice of the great Master Figrin D'an...

Ka' el rose his head, a look of pure joy on his face and excitement in his eyes.

"I accept you most gracious offer Master D'an," His baritone voice replied lightly. The boy was too excited to say much of anything.

"I shall strive to maintain the standards of the order and hold myself accountable for my actions sir."

Figrin D'an
Apr 6th, 2003, 11:56:10 PM
"Excellent. It has been some time since I have taken on an apprentice. In many ways, we will be learning together, students of the Force."

Figrin stepped forward as Ka' el stood.

"I will take some time to review your training records, but of course, they only tell so much... let us set up a few training exercises in the main combat hall, just so I may gauge your sabre technique and Force abilities. I will send you a message when the arrangements have been made."

He bowed to Ka' el.

"Until then, May The Force Be With You, Padawan."