PDA

View Full Version : A disturbing trend

TheHolo.Net
Mar 6th, 2003, 01:02:23 PM
Something I have noticed that has started to occur more and more over the last few months is total disregard for the censored words list when writing RPs and even when replying to posts here in OOC.

I find it very discouraging that our community members have the limited imagination and ability to have to resort to using profanity, which sets off our censor.

It reflects on our entire community in a negative fashion when a person not accustomed to our RP (a new person if you will) comes to our forums and begins reading RP threads and finds them filled with censored words. It makes us look childish and immature, unable to construct a sentence without vulgar slag terms that have no real place in serious writing.

It has become so prolific that I am very near the point of switching our censor back to the way it used to be, rude and crude, but at least enough of a discouragement to make it so that people did not set it off so much.

Seriously, this is getting out of hand and does nothing to help your writing; it just makes us look like immature idiots with no imagination. Please have some respect for your community and use your imagination. Using vulgar words that set off the censor is not needed at all.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 6th, 2003, 09:25:39 PM
For those who may not fully understand what I am saying here, let me put it more simply and clearly.

Threads from here on with text that set off the censor in either the RP or OOC forums will now be placed in "warned" status, pending possible closure.

If this has to be done often the censor will go back to how it used to be, inserting multiple instances of the very rude all caps messages in place of the current <smallfont color=#997583>-Censored-</font> that is seen now.

DarthHERA
Mar 6th, 2003, 10:31:01 PM
I think its a good thing for this reminder to watch what ppl post re: censored words.

But does this mean any time a word is used we get flagged? Cause sometimes, a cuss really really just fits.

Im just wondering, cause I dont want warnings all over my threads.

And no - I dont cuss very much, but you know what I mean. :)

TheHolo.Net
Mar 6th, 2003, 10:35:27 PM
Yes, anytime the censor is set off a thread will be "warned". No exceptions.

There are creative ways to curse (if it is needed) without being so vulgar as to set off the filter.

frell
dren

and others can be used instead with no qualms or issues. Terms that have been only slightly modified from their original vulgar form will not be accepted. a$$, fux and or things of that nature will be treated just as if the censor had been set off.

By "creative ways" I mean imaginative, not tricky and underhanded ways to subvert the filter.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 6th, 2003, 11:29:11 PM
Important note: This policy does not apply to RP Group forums. Their own administration decides their individual policies.

Sage Hazzard
Mar 7th, 2003, 01:43:35 AM
But older threads are exempt, until a new reply is made with censors and curse words, correct? I'm okay with not using those four letter words from here on out but I'd hate to think that a choice I made previously would bring doom to a thread that now won't use those curse words. So it's a here on out thing, right?

I assume fudge, frickin', freakin', etc. are okay?

Sanis Prent
Mar 7th, 2003, 02:05:12 AM
Ex post facto applies here.

Garrett Blade
Mar 7th, 2003, 03:10:32 AM
My character, Garrett, uses the "traditional" english words "bugger" and "bloody" when appropriate. Are they going to be censored, or are they tame enough? Just FMI really!

Sanis Prent
Mar 7th, 2003, 03:14:13 AM
I think they'd be fine.

Garrett Blade
Mar 7th, 2003, 03:18:05 AM
Bugger!:mad

I mean YAY! :D

;)

Brask
Mar 7th, 2003, 08:49:34 AM
Ah yes. The british and our limited vernacular!

Da-ku Etanial
Mar 7th, 2003, 09:28:01 AM
Ah, hurm.

I have characters who swear, but usually in a thread if they do it get's cut off or interrupted, would that be a probelm?

Ryla Relvinian
Mar 7th, 2003, 10:25:58 AM
I think the point is that as long as you are creative and not trying to subvert the filter it's ok.

So, I think "What the fu...?"

When in doubt, make up a word. Codswollop, Holy jumping up and down martha, or Fux0r should do it. :)

Sanis Prent
Mar 7th, 2003, 10:27:51 AM
hmm...I don't think that would work, Ryla.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 7th, 2003, 10:38:35 AM
Originally posted by Sage Hazzard
But older threads are exempt, until a new reply is made with censors and curse words, correct? I'm okay with not using those four letter words from here on out but I'd hate to think that a choice I made previously would bring doom to a thread that now won't use those curse words. So it's a here on out thing, right?

I assume fudge, frickin', freakin', etc. are okay? Fudge and freaking are okay being that they are real words, frickin is borderline but still acceptable as long as it is not used to insult or demean another poster in an OOC sense. And as Sanis said this is "ex post facto" meaning it applies from now on, not recursively.
Originally posted by Ryla Relvinian
I think the point is that as long as you are creative and not trying to subvert the filter it's ok.

So, I think "What the fu...?"

When in doubt, make up a word. Codswollop, Holy jumping up and down martha, or Fux0r should do it. :) All but Fux0r are acceptable but yes you are otherwise correct.

Sway
Mar 7th, 2003, 10:57:40 AM
Originally posted by DarthHERA
But does this mean any time a word is used we get flagged? Cause sometimes, a cuss really really just fits.

I do agree ... I don't deny that my character and her gang do cuss a lot. But it's not aimed at anyone ... It's just how they are, how they act and how they talk (Or maybe I just watch too many movies :p ). I didn't really think it was insulting to anyone, if so, we're sorry. Still, I think that as long as you don't actually start insulting people like "Oh, you mother <smallfont color={hovercolor}>-Censored-</smallfont>ing bastard, I hope you <smallfont color={hovercolor}>-Censored-</smallfont>ing rot in hell, you shithole !", should there still be a little bit of freedom of speech ? You could be a little bit more on guard for those whose posts are only composed of swears, but one occasional swear here and there could be harmless ... right ?

:huh

TheHolo.Net
Mar 7th, 2003, 11:00:28 AM
Originally posted by Sway
should there still be a little bit of freedom of speech ? YouThe Internet does not fall under the juridiction of the American constitution. We have posters here from all over the world. This is a multinational community.

There are plenty of creative ways to IC insult other characters without resorting to vulgar/childish slang.

Hadrian Invicta
Mar 7th, 2003, 11:34:41 AM
I agree, OOC posts should not be riddled with censored words, I myself have been warned in the past about it and went back and realized how much of a tool I made myself look and immediately editted.

I however disagree with the IC posts not being allowed a little artistic license. I have a character who plays a common thug and his vocab isn't going to be on par with Shakespeare or Milton, if I rp his dialouge as such I take away realism that gives my work credit. Granted, this should not give me the freedom to drop a censored word ever sentence or in copious amounts, but for realism I think it should be allowed.

This being said, I respect the decision of the admins and will not post censored words IC until it has been deemed acceptable by the community. OOC I will permantantly refrain from cursing as it has no place among civilized debate and I apologize for any incursions I may have had in the past. Perhaps a discussion on the use of the darker side of the english language would be in order for IC purposes, but until then I encourage the rest of our community to follow suit and respect the decision of the SWFans staff.

Eve Siren
Mar 7th, 2003, 11:38:04 AM
Maybe we can just do a poll, to see how many people are okay with it and how many aren't. Main priority after all is to have fun RPing, right ?

TheHolo.Net
Mar 7th, 2003, 11:44:42 AM
Here is a reminder to everyone who posts here. You have all agreed to these terms before you even registered your first account:
Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below.

Although the administrators and moderators of SWFans.Net Forums will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of SWFans.Net Forums or Jelsoft Enterprises Limited (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By clicking the Agree button, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The User hereby grants SWFans.Net Forums a perpetual, universal, and non-exclusive right to copy, display, modify, alter, delete, transmit, and distribute any Content provided by the User to SWFans.Net Forums. The User is the owner of all Content submitted to SWFans.Net Forums, and the User represents that he or she is the legal owner of the copyright to all Content that User submits to SWFans.Net Forums or that the User has permission from the copyright owner to submit the Content to SWFans.Net Forums. The User also hereby grants other Users of the Web Site (Moderators, Super Moderators and Administrators) the right to modify, alter, and delete Content provided by them to SWFans.Net Forums, pursuant to the first part of this section. The owners of SWFans.Net Forums have the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

If you agree to the terms, please press the Agree button below.This policy is nothing new and did not used to be a problem when the swear filter was rude in what it replaced censored words with. (An all caps message that repeated for each letter in a censored word).

There will be no vote/poll. This is long time SWFans.Net policy, which is only being reinforced due to the semi sudden and too prolific ignoring of the rules and agreements made.

Every one of us agreed to this policy before we even made our first post here.

Lets all work together to make this a community we can be proud of, not ashamed of. Lets be upstanding and follow through with the agreement we made when we first got here.

Evil Hobgoblin
Mar 7th, 2003, 11:47:15 AM
Although the general posting community as a whole may not mind, SWFans does get several visitors who don't post. Moreover, we are not an exclusive community and are quite viewable by anybody- and the point is that we want to stay that way. Allowing casual swearing throughout the boards is a good way to drive off potential posters or to teach Star Wars-loving youths who stumble onto the site language not suitable for their age.

There are several "clean swears" already in existence for many cases and it isn't too hard to make up suitable words for new ones where none of the others fit. Bahashi, bastitch, dreg-sifter, snark-eater, and so on, have all appeared in SW EU and are fair game for useage.

Syd
Mar 7th, 2003, 11:51:47 AM
'nuff said. As I said, I respected the decision from the start and will find suitable alternatives. And I am glad we have gone to a warning system, rather than a immediate closure, so that it can be implemented.

:D

Sanis Prent
Mar 7th, 2003, 12:11:41 PM
not to mention, there are still plenty of non-censored curses available.

Damn, bastard, bitch, etc. Just enough to work with :)

Sway
Mar 7th, 2003, 12:28:01 PM
Fortunately. :) Severe will be fine with those, thanks. Can someone actually list all the non-censored words ? o.o

TheHolo.Net
Mar 7th, 2003, 12:30:34 PM
Let there be less searching for loopholes and more respect for the community.

Evil Hobgoblin
Mar 7th, 2003, 12:31:43 PM
They probably could be listed, but it might be better to have them sort of out of the way so that you have to know where they are and don't have as high a chance of stumbling upon them. Within individual group forums could be a viable place...

Sage Hazzard
Mar 7th, 2003, 01:35:30 PM
Maybe a list of SW curse words would be in order. Listing words like Dren and Frell, so that those who don't commonly know these can come into their knowledge and write more PG 13.

I've cursed in the past and now I actually feel bad for it. When I do it in a RP, I don't feel that as much, but I've started to feel a little guilty. One RPer has actually told me I need to cut down on the swearing. Time I listen to her. :)

Oh, just for people that don't think cursing could potentially be bad, let me tell you something. Fire Hazzard, I believe it was, who doesn't post her anymore, once told me not to use even the most simple of curse words. I believe she was ten-ish around that time. Her parents saw a post with a small curse word that wouldn't even be filtered. I think it was damn or hell. Well she was warned and if her parents saw this again, she'd lose her internet privilages. So there are members of this community we might actually be hurting with our swears.

In the past I strayed away from those creative curse words. Mainly because I felt that my characters that would curse, wouldn't use those words. That those words sounded a bit too disney or cartoonish, not real world. Well, I guess now I've relized that this is not the real world. We're characters in a PG-13 and lower RPing community. So I've come to the decision that even those dren and frell might make my character's language a bit less "hardcore" or "thugish", it's actually for the better good. I might go back and edit some of my more recent posts, too. :)

Sigil Roland
Mar 7th, 2003, 04:34:35 PM
So let me get this streight... The major board Admin says to stop the using of bad language and some of you want a list of acceptable bad words?

I'm sure I missed something here but usually the book of Common Sense says what the Admin/Owner says is the rules usually is the rules. The book also says that if it is something that you would get you mouth washed out with soap because you said it, then don't say it. Quite frankly theres no reason for a list of accaptable bad language, just use common sense.

Let me put it like this for those who are right now rolling their eyes at this.... I think the Admin is angry right now, so with this and everything else that is going on right now in the world just drop this issue and live with the filter.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 7th, 2003, 05:32:22 PM
I'd tend to agree with Sigil.

Look, dont try to work around it. This the the law layed down as the situation was getting ridiculous. Let's not go okay, how do I circumvent? Just do.

While now and then I do touch the filter (And hence I an very annoyed this has come about, because I believe the rare hitting of the filter is okay) some have just gone too far and simply put, your spoiling it for the rest of us.

Thence, enough saying "Oh lets, try to work out ways around it". How about we al just simply dont. This clearly isnt goign to go away, it's clearly an issue and you dont fix issues by asking for circumvention. You fix issues by fixing the issue. The issue is the swear filter. Thence, enough talk of cicumvention, use some writing flair and make it not necessary. We're all goign to have to live with it, so that's the bottom line.

Dirjj Mordrai
Mar 7th, 2003, 05:43:00 PM
I have rarely relied on a vulgar word or profanity in my RPing. IF ever. It would be quite disturbing to me to visit the board and find everyone cursing more frequently than a girl's school. Not only that, it would be poorly representive of an SW roleplaying community. But would also reflect a lesser degree of class and intellect in my opinion. Not that I am beyond understanding a person wanted to inflect a typical attitude of characters living in a desperate world or desperate times with all true vulgar realism. But it can be an unnecessary irritation in my opinion.

Sway
Mar 7th, 2003, 09:17:18 PM
Umm ... I don't want the list to work my way through or around it, or anything like that. Please don't twist or put words in my mouth.

Originally posted by Sage Hazzard
Maybe a list of SW curse words would be in order. Listing words like Dren and Frell, so that those who don't commonly know these can come into their knowledge and write more PG 13.

Such words as dren and frell, I can honestly say that I've never heard them in my life. They do sound a lot more appropriate for RPing, that I do agree. But I want that list so I don't lose time trying to figure out what to put where. I've put censored words in my posts before, no denying in that, just as I've said before, that's just how my character is - a criminal with limited vocabulary. So this time, I can go on making her act like that, but with more acceptable words that won't offend anyone. Geez, it was just a question, not trying to cuss my way out.

EDIT: I'm not insisting on getting that list. It was just a minor question.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 7th, 2003, 10:10:39 PM
Frell, frelling, frelled.

The dren has hit the fan.

Those examples should provide enough to glean their meaning.

Aranel Oronrį
Mar 7th, 2003, 10:17:25 PM
I can just imagine a big fight between two guys ones half dead and the other had his arm cut off.

fighter one: I am going to kill you...you...."ninkenpoop!"

fighter two: why dont you just try it you "turnip"!!!

No, but serously i fully support the idea Big Green :)

imported_Taja Loraan
Mar 8th, 2003, 12:49:55 AM
:: guilty ::

As Sway has said, my character Soraya does tend to cuss a lot IC, and I apologize for that. The intent was never to straight-out swear... even if there was no swear filter, I wouldn't have used those words. I wanted to create an impression of swearing (as stupid as that sounds.. o.o), and figured the best way to do so was by using the little censored tag (even though it meant activating the swear filter, breep). If that makes any sense. ^_^; From now on I'll stick to using the old-fashioned [beep]ing... if that's allowed..?

Sage Hazzard
Mar 8th, 2003, 03:12:31 AM
Yeah, Taja, I do the same thing. Just kind of give the impression of it. I suppose using those other words can do the same thing though. Frell! :)

I assume it's frowned apon to sensor ourselves. Like "&*$!" or self beeping, Taja. Since it's basically like using the swear censor. You're just doing the work. :)

I might just make up some words. Like new words that mean other things like Frell and Dren, except broader and more uses. I would think that's acceptable. Making up and entirely new word like... "Belm" or "Juput". :)

Soraya Taveres
Mar 8th, 2003, 04:08:27 AM
LOL well if you do, be sure to let me know. :) And I think I'll just stick to "freakin'" from now on. Multi-purpose.

Eve Siren
Mar 8th, 2003, 07:28:36 AM
Juput .. Hehehehehe.

Miryan no Trunks
Mar 8th, 2003, 02:08:31 PM
I can just imagine a big fight between two guys ones half dead and the other had his arm cut off.

fighter one: I am going to kill you...you...."ninkenpoop!"

fighter two: why dont you just try it you "turnip"!!!

Lol, and I thought we had tried to Remove DBZ from the RP ^_^

"Oh? Well YOU smell like TOENAILS!!!"

"HUH?!? ARRGH!!!! RAAAGHAHGGRGHRHGFUDENDMUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Seriously though, with the amount of fighting, bloodying, disembowling, gutting, and violent death that are Very common in posts, I would wonder if the RP forums in themselves should be considered anything Less than pg-13. I mean if the bloody torture of a person, morbidly described up to the point where their flayed and cooked flesh is fed to starving vornskrs (just an example) is appropriate for a 10yo to read about, should the word censor be really so highly frowned upon?

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't swear in my posts, as my characters simply don't Swear, and if I Have in ooc, I apologize now. However, it just strikes me as strange that the censor should be, in all truth, censored. If the kids know what the words are well enough to be able to instantly place whichever one is most appropriate in the place of a *censored* when reading, it really isn't teaching them the words, right? =) And as they Are censored, kids who Don't know the words could assume that they're censoring words like bum, poopy, doggy, tax return, finkle, and green laserpointer, no?

TheHolo.Net
Mar 8th, 2003, 11:57:33 PM
...But, this is text based violence and gore, something very different from visual violence and gore. It leaves the visualizations to the imagination of the reader.

Besides, this is not open for debate. This is how it is. Setting off the censor will not be accepted under any circumstances. This should be a place where people take pride in everything written by everyone writting. Vulgar language was agreed not to be used before you registered, and that agreement will be upheld.

Miryan no Trunks
Mar 9th, 2003, 04:03:14 AM
Not debate no, it's not like we have the choice to remove the policies we agreed to. But discussion isn't bad, is it?

Chaos Alexander
Mar 9th, 2003, 11:15:15 AM
I for one have been nailed by SWfans already. I know he is not joking. I understand where he is coming from all in all. I would like a list of SW words, but if none are given I would understand.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 9th, 2003, 11:55:08 AM
posted by Mara/Delirion on another board:

Frag!
Scrag!
Emperor's black bones!
Vader's black soul!
Vader take him!
Shavit!
Sithspit!
Sithspawn!
By Tarkin's/Vader's Teeth!
Flightly hell! (used by one of the Rogues)
Huttspit!
Sithspit!
Sithspawn!
Krasst!
Poodoo!
E'chuta!
Shassa! (used by the Mystril Shadow Guards)
Kriff = the SWish F word
Hell = Movie used swearword, usually by Han
Drok It = the F word again
By the Emperor's Dualities = Self-explanatory I think... mainly used by Imps
Frack = F word again
Guerfel = Old Corellian for "Fool"
I'll be Kesseled = surprised expression
Koccic suing = Old Corellian for "Shut up"
Krolp = Hutt word for excrement.
Min min vil ut valle Nharquis = Worse Corellian oath "I will eat your ashes"
By the Minions of Xendor = surprised expression
Wagyx = Corellian term for the anal region of a human

Sanis Prent
Mar 9th, 2003, 11:59:44 AM
Also:

Frell (F-word substitute)
Dren(S-word substitute)

etc...

Be creative :)

I got "Krasst" from the Sims, so what the hey.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 9th, 2003, 12:01:01 PM
oh and Slaymo = slimeball :)

Sanis Prent
Mar 9th, 2003, 12:02:09 PM
yep!

Kelt Simoson
Mar 10th, 2003, 12:07:18 AM
:lol Oh my god...

ReaperFett
Mar 10th, 2003, 02:46:54 AM
posted by Mara/Delirion on another board:
Jeez, what upset her so much? ;)

That's all the ones I can think of.

Oriadin
Mar 10th, 2003, 09:10:25 AM
Originally posted by Miryan no Trunks
However, it just strikes me as strange that the censor should be, in all truth, censored. If the kids know what the words are well enough to be able to instantly place whichever one is most appropriate in the place of a *censored* when reading, it really isn't teaching them the words, right? =) And as they Are censored, kids who Don't know the words could assume that they're censoring words like bum, poopy, doggy, tax return, finkle, and green laserpointer, no?

I would like to state, before writting anything here that I very rarely use swear words in my posts, I can think of two that ive done since being here, but there are probably more. I try as far as possible to keep it clean.

Now, as Miryan said in the quote above, I also find it odd that we are censoring the censor. Its a fact that people in RL swear. All you have to do is go to any sports match, sit in a car with someone and you'll get to hear some right colourfull language. I really cant see the problem with people swearing in their posts while it is censored as long as they arent abusing the fact that its there. Like Marcus said, he uses it every now and then and he said himself that he is very anoyed that its come to this. I dont think anyone thinks any less of him as a writter because he has the occasional *censored* every now and then. Why is the censor there if not to cover up the bad language anyway? and if it is covering up then why ban the censor?

I really see NO difference between having *censored* and 'Frell'. Everybody here knows it means the exact same thing so I dont get the difference. If you want to ban swearing then surely words like Frell should be banned too? Its no different so someone saying fcuk or A$$ is my opinion.

Now, I dont mean any offence at all by this. The SW boards are run superbly and I will continue to go by any rules set by the mods here without question, but I do think that this can be discussed without having a simple, rules are rules thread closed situation.

Navaria Tarkin
Mar 10th, 2003, 04:50:25 PM
To put it simple, Swfans and even myself got sick of seeing oh ... eight+ swear words in a single post. There is really no reason to have THAT much swearing. Even some threads were littered with it when you combine each posts with how many swear words were being thrown about.

The problem is abusing the censored featured. When we got rid of the rude DONOTSWEAR-DONOTSWEAR ... it was because we didn't see that much swearing except when appropriate. Appropriate being once in a great while like when Hera said her character would swear just because it fit the moment, as well as some others.

The thing is this board is PG-13. Plain and simple. Made up words are used all the time on Farscape and that is TV-14.. that is what we want here. Having continous swearing just to swear, as it has been recently, is the reason the hammer was thrown down.

:: wonders if that cleared anything up ::

o_O

imported_Jackson Mcgraves
Mar 10th, 2003, 05:11:58 PM
Is A-r-s-e under this jurisdiction, because I have been putting that to curve my normal common use of the A word. I have cut the F and the S word out but I do use Hell and Dam.

Me I go buy the rule if a word is censored when I post it I go back and change it to a more appropriate word that will most likely fit what I'm trying to get across.

I don't believe in over excessive use of cuss words but some times it does work to get the point of anger across to another.

Sanis Prent
Mar 10th, 2003, 06:00:48 PM
yes, that is under the filter.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 12th, 2003, 04:35:30 PM
Simply put, having the censor set off in posts makes our community look less imaginative, less mature, and of lower moral standards than we should have for ourselves and our community.

Oriadin
Mar 13th, 2003, 03:37:05 AM
Yeah, but if your playing the character of someone whos not so imaginaitve and has lower moral standards...

I mean, if your a Jedi, you couldnt imagine them swearing much if at all. If your playing your average joe, down on his luck in the grime of courscant, you may have one or two choice words.

Sanis Prent
Mar 13th, 2003, 03:41:31 AM
so use substitute curses? Simple :)

Oriadin
Mar 13th, 2003, 04:30:31 AM
But I dont see how using a substitute curse is ANY different to seeing *censored*

TheHolo.Net
Mar 13th, 2003, 10:56:25 AM
Our replacement qwords are not vulgar ones as their counterparts are, and not everyone who reads the forums even knows what our replacement words mean.

Oriadin
Mar 13th, 2003, 11:03:12 AM
Agreed, but you cant see whats written behind the censor tag and therefor it serves the same purpose as the replacement words. You can tell more often than not what word is being replaced by reading the line around it, just the same as you can a censored tag.

Navaria Tarkin
Mar 13th, 2003, 11:05:32 AM
Yes, but those that are reading it know that there is swearing going on right off the bat unlike being creative and using a word that is made up.