PDA

View Full Version : I can't find my RPs!?

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 6th, 2003, 01:15:54 AM
http://meras.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2767

I've let this thread of mine get all out of date. I have links to the old Ezboard of TSO and Swfans, and I'm trying to find all the vBulletin RPs.

Only thing is, the search engine doesn't seem to be working right. Can anyone help me? :(

ReaperFett
Mar 6th, 2003, 02:41:07 AM
I'll have a gander later :)

Sage Hazzard
Mar 6th, 2003, 03:18:26 AM
Any threads in perticular you're looking for LD? Hook me up with the title of the thread, one or two perticipant's names, and the forum the thread should be in. I'll try and help. :)

James Prent
Mar 6th, 2003, 03:48:57 AM
Basically my Fear's Womb threads "Fear's Womb: On the Run" in ST, and a few others which I'm too sleep deprived to think of. There are quite a few others, but I was having a hard time searching through the threads that were transferred over from the exboard.

ReaperFett
Mar 6th, 2003, 06:09:48 AM
On the run? THATS ME! :D

http://sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11086

Sage Hazzard
Mar 6th, 2003, 11:39:54 AM
Maybe you should just search the forum they should be in, and set the results to... a year ago or later, I think it is. Then just search through the results. Don't put in a username or thread title. After a while you should hit the ezboard transfers. :)

TheHolo.Net
Mar 6th, 2003, 12:44:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&threadid=11086>Fear's Womb: On the Run</a>

<a href=showthread.php?s=&threadid=7385>Fear's Womb: First Comes Love</a>

<a href=showthread.php?s=&threadid=7819>Fear's Womb: Innocent Death</a>

As a note: four letter search terms will not work well for older RP threads (previous to the move to the new host).

James Prent
Mar 6th, 2003, 11:17:49 PM
Four letter search terms? What does that mean? :(

Thanks guys. Sage, I looked all over in the specific forums. Heck, I can't even locate Operation Long Knives.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 6th, 2003, 11:22:48 PM
Searching for any words with 4 letters or less will not yeild any results from thread/posts that were made previous to our move to this host.

The reason being that the vB search index is actually a seperate database table from the one that contains posts. When we moved here I had to strip that index so that I could back up our entire database on the old host and be able to fit it in the space we had allocated there when I did.

When we got here I learned that rebulding the search index was a serious strain on the server for a database the size of the one we have (I actually caused our host server to reboot a few times due to the strain).

To help lessen the impact of the rebuild process on our host server, I only indexed words that contained five letters or more into the new search index database table.....but whenever you make a new post, since our move, the text within it is automatically indexed and that setting is set to index words with three letters or more.

[/end techie rant]

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 6th, 2003, 11:35:27 PM
So when I search for Operation and I don't get Operation Long Knives, what does that mean??

TheHolo.Net
Mar 6th, 2003, 11:38:43 PM
Did you search by title in advanced search?

<a href=search.php?s=>Advanced search</a>

Because the search boxes within forums are semi limited in their functionality.

EDIT: My test showed that it came up in both the "simple" forum search box, and in advanced search. o_O

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 6th, 2003, 11:42:30 PM
!! What the freaking frell!? I was using the Advanced Search last night and I couldn't get a darn thing to come up.

Btw I love the new avatar.:)

TheHolo.Net
Mar 6th, 2003, 11:46:12 PM
I'm not sure, but I tested it this morning when I saw you post and just now with your example and got plenty of results.

Thanks. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 6th, 2003, 11:55:27 PM
Yeah its working for me now too. *kicks it*

:D

Sage Hazzard
Mar 7th, 2003, 01:52:52 AM
Operation Long Knives? Silly, it's one of the most replied... or is it viewed, threads here. Just look under stats and look around for a little bit. It's in there.