PDA

View Full Version : Who wants to play Monopoly....for real?

Sanis Prent
Mar 5th, 2003, 01:39:40 PM
<a href=http://money.cnn.com/2003/03/05/news/money/index.htm>Soon, you can!</a>

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Mar 5th, 2003, 01:46:02 PM
colored money? blech....

Figrin D'an
Mar 5th, 2003, 01:50:44 PM
Considering the last bill redesign was just a few years ago, this seems like poor planning on the part of the Treasury Department. If it was just a color change, it wouldn't be so bad, but more picture redesigns and new watermarks?

Are we going to start seeing bill revamps every five years?

Staying ahead of the counterfeit curve is a necessity, sure, but some fiscal responsibility might be nice.

Shanaria Fabool
Mar 5th, 2003, 02:16:05 PM
Ya...The US is copying us Canadians for a change!! There is nothing wrong with Colored money. We have been doing that for years with our money, and It makes it so you can count your money faster just by looking in your walet.

Darth Viscera
Mar 5th, 2003, 02:18:45 PM
Will they be introducing heterosexual versions as well?

Pierce Tondry
Mar 5th, 2003, 02:31:29 PM
*lol @ Vis' comment*

Sanis Prent
Mar 5th, 2003, 02:50:49 PM
:lol

Just count the damn numbers!

Wei Wu Wei
Mar 5th, 2003, 03:26:32 PM
Soon mathematics will be taught using colors instead of numbers.

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Mar 5th, 2003, 03:49:42 PM
*is reminded of the Simpson visit Brazil episode* "Why is our money so gay?"-thug guy

Dae Jinn
Mar 5th, 2003, 04:34:00 PM
Yush, our evil plans to conquer the US are being put into motion...BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....Just kidding, I don't mind that our money is different colors, I do mind that they put a collage of hockey on the Five dollar bill. :x

What pictures would they put on American bills? Football? >_<

Silus Xilarian
Mar 5th, 2003, 05:10:45 PM
When I start seeing people running down the street wielding hockey sticks and chunking snowballs at pedestrians, i'll be sure to look for you, Dae ;)

Oh and I got dibbs on the red corner and utilities......

To hell with boardwalk >D

Dae Jinn
Mar 5th, 2003, 05:16:11 PM
I don't like hockey though :cry

Darth Viscera
Mar 5th, 2003, 05:18:39 PM
No, our dollar bills have a reputation to uphold :) Only presidents and very popular americans.

Personally, I hope (and I know the rest of the world will chime in in support of this) that they'll put Admiral Alfred Thayer Mahan on a bill.

You know I'm right :D

Dae Jinn
Mar 5th, 2003, 05:27:34 PM
I have no clue who that is. Our money has politicians and like, the Queen on it, usually. Plus we have stupid $1 and $2 coins >_< And, if there weren't presidents on USD's, all those jokes would be useless now! :lol

Darth Viscera
Mar 5th, 2003, 05:40:54 PM
Like a picture with Laura Secord with a trailing cow, running from town to town and telling everyone that she saw american troops going out to burn toronto?

You know, we made her promise not to tell anyone, the snitch. Back then you were supposed to keep your word!

Dae Jinn
Mar 5th, 2003, 05:58:33 PM
She never had a cow, really. Laura Secord makes good chocolates though :lol And why would anyone wanna burn down T.? :lol

Silus Xilarian
Mar 5th, 2003, 06:09:44 PM
Boredom?

Darth Viscera
Mar 5th, 2003, 06:11:14 PM
Well, she had a cow when she snitched on our boys. Back in 1812, Toronto was ONLY a military fort. That was its sole purpose. It wasn't what it is today. That's why we sacked it.

Same applies to Washington D.C. Back then Washington City was a southern swamp town festering with malaria, and a big white house in the middle of nowhere. If the 4,000 english, scottish, irish, welsh and indian troops just then returning from a victory in europe hadn't burned it down we might not have stubbornly built it up to a big city and drained the swamp 100 years later.

Sanis Prent
Mar 5th, 2003, 06:11:35 PM
Blue Jays?

Dae Jinn
Mar 5th, 2003, 06:15:43 PM

Who? I dont like baseball either. :uhoh

Sanis Prent
Mar 5th, 2003, 06:16:50 PM
I like baseball. I just hate the Blue Jays.

Dae Jinn
Mar 5th, 2003, 06:20:50 PM
Oh well. Toronto has some great museums, good concert venues and stuff. Too busy though, and bad drivers.

Sanis Prent
Mar 5th, 2003, 06:30:02 PM
Well, at least it isn't Montreal :)

Dae Jinn
Mar 5th, 2003, 06:41:32 PM

Don't like poutine, Charley?

Sanis Prent
Mar 5th, 2003, 06:52:41 PM
I don't even know what that is. But anything that is Canadian, and is also FRENCH, has to be made of Satan.

Dae Jinn
Mar 5th, 2003, 07:02:09 PM
It's french fries, with cheese and gravy on it. I dont like it myself, but mneh :lol

Sanis Prent
Mar 5th, 2003, 07:07:37 PM
Ah. See that's the problem. Why the hell can't they call it cheese fries & gravy? They have to be so damn different. Damn snow frogs...

Dae Jinn
Mar 5th, 2003, 07:13:52 PM

JMK
Mar 5th, 2003, 08:43:15 PM
Well, at least it isn't Montreal
Ah. See that's the problem. Why the hell can't they call it cheese fries & gravy? They have to be so damn different. Damn snow frogs...

Gee, I hope you've actually been to Montreal to drop those kinds of blasts. And watch who you lump in with the snow frogs, some of us can read AND understand yer american slang... :p

Sanis Prent
Mar 5th, 2003, 08:45:35 PM
Its enough that they pass through here on their way to Florida in the winter. My experiences with them are not pleasant ones.

JMK
Mar 5th, 2003, 09:21:56 PM
Believe me, I've had more than a few unpleasant encounters, but my point stands, generalizations are ugly.

Sanis Prent
Mar 5th, 2003, 10:33:36 PM
When I find a positive encounter, I'll think about revising the generalization.

JMK
Mar 5th, 2003, 11:46:26 PM
Whatever floats your boat.

Darth Viscera
Mar 6th, 2003, 12:24:35 AM
cheese fries and gravy? why don't they just stick with chili cheese fries? I can't imagine that cheese and gravy blend well.

Lady Vader
Mar 7th, 2003, 01:24:11 AM
cheese fries and gravy? why don't they just stick with chili cheese fries? I can't imagine that cheese and gravy blend well.

I was JUST thinking the same thing, Visc.

Xenodoros Stormrider
Mar 8th, 2003, 08:50:43 PM
Originally posted by Dae Jinn
Plus we have stupid $1 and $2 coins >_<

Hey, that's not stupid. That's actually pretty efficient. First of all, we're saving a couple of trees, and second of all, we don't have to struggle with those damn machines that don't like bills.

I remember when I lived in Canada, I had no trouble inserting the coins and getting stuff out of candy machines... I come to the US and I'm struggling with those damn dollar bills all the time...(yeah, they have a dollar coin but it's not that popular)

It's a different kind of gravy. Not the sweet kind. It's actually pretty different than chilli cheese fries. The cheese melts on the fries and the gravy just goes on it and helps the cheese melt. And it's not so bad either :) =P

Sanis Prent
Mar 8th, 2003, 09:37:44 PM
Dollars aren't made of very much paper :p

imported_Marcus
Mar 8th, 2003, 09:46:44 PM
Does the USA still use paper for money? That's actually a surprise, polymer notes are much more durable and harder to counterfeit.

We have had coloured money since we changed from pounds to dollars in 1965. Plus, we use coins for $1 and $2. It does make handling notes much, much easier, and the coins are generally much better to use. Can be bad tho to end up with a pocket full of 1's and 2's.

Polymer money however... now that was really worthwhile. Much harder to destroy, can be soaked, much harder to rip. I'm sure they'll be an outcry when the USA eventually replaces paper with plastic money (hey, it happened here too), but.... gotta use this stuff to appreciate how superior it is to paper.

... I am right in rememberign the USA still uses paper based bills, right?

Darth Viscera
Mar 8th, 2003, 10:19:06 PM
Have we EVER used paper? I'm not really a dollar afficionado, but I think I recall hearing somewhere that our dollars are primarily made of cotton and other (some secret) materials tossed in, and then security threads were inserted. Doesn't really feel like paper to me, either.

A little off topic, when the Nazis were researching ways to counterfeit the pound during WW2, they found that the best thing to use to make their own was dirty turkish rags. The brits must have really learned the value of paper during the crusades or something, and taken the recipe home with them.

Also, it serves a purpose to have tearable money. You can take both halves of a bill to a bank and they'll give you a fresh one in exchange, anyhow. It's commonly known that you can bribe a taxicab driver to stay put and wait for you to come back by tearing your bill in half, giving him one half, and promising to give him the other half when you get back. How the devil could you do that with untearable polymer?

I've only teared one bill in my entire life, a 1, and it was because I was trying to do just that.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 8th, 2003, 10:25:13 PM
Deliberatly destroying money is Federal Offence - Im no USA resident and even I know that :p

Darth Viscera
Mar 8th, 2003, 10:46:15 PM
It's also a crime to drive a Ford Model-T or like form of motorized carriage without bringing along 1 horse or 2 donkeys as supplemental forms of transportation in Earl, Iowa. Sometimes laws suck, so we just ignore them and keep our mouths shut when trafficking in half-bills.

Sanis Prent
Mar 9th, 2003, 12:30:13 AM
An american dollar is full of polymer fibers. Very little of it is actually "paper"