View Full Version : Gas Prices

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 4th, 2003, 12:29:48 AM
I knew it was getting bad, but this is outrageous!!

:lol

Sanis Prent
Mar 4th, 2003, 12:35:26 AM
:lol thats great stuff.

Silus Xilarian
Mar 4th, 2003, 12:38:37 AM
They're accepting "SOUL" where I live :cry

Zeke
Mar 4th, 2003, 12:38:45 AM
HELL TO THE YES! :lol

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 4th, 2003, 12:38:53 AM
:lol :lol :lol

Truth in avertising finally!

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Mar 4th, 2003, 12:39:54 AM

Liu Fong
Mar 4th, 2003, 12:40:19 AM
I went to fill the tank and they lobbed me arm off...::shakes his one arm:: :( At least I didn't buy premium...

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 4th, 2003, 12:42:57 AM
My sister emailed that to me, I just thought it was hilarious :D

Zakatiel Rhinehart
Mar 4th, 2003, 12:52:55 AM
I gave a Rag Doll and told them I married a mall mannequin and it was my first born son.

Pierce Tondry
Mar 4th, 2003, 12:53:26 AM
Lily, I know you like to travel, but I don't have any spare limbs and they're not getting Jax.

Sanis Prent
Mar 4th, 2003, 01:30:20 AM
This is why we took a pledge to New Orleans this weekend. We had to fuel up on the way back, and left him there.

ReaperFett
Mar 4th, 2003, 03:29:03 AM
Pfft, still costs more here ;)

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 4th, 2003, 03:46:39 AM
Lets see,

My Barina has 30 litre tank that = 6.8 gallons.

That cost me 33 dollars to fill from empty yesterday. current exchange rate of 1 AUD = 61 USA cents, that's $20.13

Roughly paying $2.90 USD a gallon. Tonight saw it for $1.07 litre AUD. And I know Aust is quite cheap for petrol, cause we mainly have our own reserves.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 4th, 2003, 04:14:04 AM
I paid 1.83 two days ago. For regular unleaded.

Silus Xilarian
Mar 4th, 2003, 04:44:12 AM
its a 1.60 something here for the cheap stuff

I used to fill my car up with nothing but premium, before I blew the engine.

Those days are over :)

Mr. Happy
Mar 4th, 2003, 08:42:01 AM
1.65 in T-Town for regular. Its a blessing that I don't drive much.

Hadrian Invicta
Mar 4th, 2003, 08:46:31 AM
I remember my Senior year of High School I went on a trip to visit Univ of North Carolina's campus at Chapel Hill and I could get gas for around $.70 in tennessee and the Carolina's. I miss the 90's

SashaKovalev
Mar 4th, 2003, 09:11:37 AM
*shakes head* I saw that sign on the news a week or so ago. I like the fact that the gas station owner has a sense of humor....funny as hell.

On the other hand, what I dont like, and what is not funny at all is the fact that my jeep is stuck in four wheel drive and Im getting 10 miles per gallon right now. :( I wont be driving much. I'd prolly get better gas mileage driving a tank around....

Darth Viscera
Mar 4th, 2003, 12:23:38 PM
$2.90 USD / gallon?! Jesus. How do you aussies do it? Never in my time have I seen gas over $2.00 / gallon, but I don't actively look out for gas prices. Normally it's supposed to be around $1.00-$1.20 / gallon. Up til a few months ago, gas in Venezuela was $0.25 / gallon, lucky bastards.

Figrin D'an
Mar 4th, 2003, 01:23:43 PM
I payed $1.75/gal to fill up yesterday (regular unleaded). Highest I've seen, recently, in my area is $1.83/gal.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 4th, 2003, 02:46:02 PM
Viscera, the USA pays an absurdly low price for fuel. Go to Europe or asia and see how your wallet feels after a fill up there

ReaperFett
Mar 4th, 2003, 03:24:03 PM
He's right

Navaria Tarkin
Mar 4th, 2003, 03:27:29 PM
yep, I remember in one of my sociology classes, the teacher went to I believe germany... and at the time he remembered something like 6 bucks a gallon ... :) Could be wrong but everyone in class jaw's dropped after hearing that.

Sigil Roland
Mar 4th, 2003, 03:35:57 PM
And I thought $1.59 per gallon is expensive. Good God!

Oh well I remember 9/11. They had a run on the pumps and had to raise the gas prices to $3-4 USD. Granted most people got their money back in a few days but still!

ReaperFett
Mar 4th, 2003, 03:41:17 PM
Bout 3.60 here, making about $5.40

Devin Ducat
Mar 4th, 2003, 03:41:26 PM
$5.59 (£3.54) per gallon of Unleaded Petrol here, if my conversion of the currency is right.

Wei Wu Wei
Mar 4th, 2003, 03:50:39 PM
This can only mean one thing. It's time to walk...everywhere. It's cheap, and helps you to stay in shape, and is better for the environment. :)

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 4th, 2003, 06:06:43 PM
Or stop using those awful damn things called SUV's. They are not sporty and they drink absurd amounts of petrolWhy oh why does anyone need a truck like vehicle for general commuting? Hell, I've got a total POS buzz box for my commute car. I keep the high speed monsters off the road usually.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 4th, 2003, 06:17:03 PM
Normally it's supposed to be around $1.00-$1.20 / gallon. Not for over a year now.

Also, America pays stupidly low prices for gasoline, like Mark said. And SUV's are dangerous gasguzzling pieces of trash.

Which is why my family owns a Prius (Toyota's gas/electric hybrid) and a 98 Civic. We also own a 96 Windstar, but thats for when we move a lot of people/stuff, or the other two cars are in use.

Sanis Prent
Mar 4th, 2003, 06:32:31 PM
Depends on the SUV. As a previous owner, I enjoyed mine well enough for its ability to a) Haul stuff and b) Haul people, interchangeably. Granted, some of the SUV's are rather ridiculous, but the rest are fine enough. I enjoy my pickup far more than my blazer, but I do miss the ability to comfortably pack 5 people in for a ride.

Admiral Lebron
Mar 4th, 2003, 07:22:33 PM
Reg= 1.39
Premium = 1.59

My car (future one) goes off of regular... and I don't believe in SUVs.

Sanis Prent
Mar 4th, 2003, 07:48:03 PM
I think alot of the recent models (Excursion, Expedition, H2, Aztec, yadda yadda) are AWFUL. There is a point to gaudiness and excess, and thats it right there. Others aren't really so much, so thats not an issue. If it wasn't for the fact that alot of the models are prone to flipping so damn much, I really wouldn't care. Even my blazer felt top-heavy. I abhored taking tight turns in it. The same turns can be picked up in my S-10 with ease.

All this being said, I would be tickled pink to own an actual Hummer. This is galaxies away from that POS that is the H2. Hummers are....(sigh)....awesome! I'd take a hit at the pump to own something so beastly :)

Morgan Evanar
Mar 4th, 2003, 07:59:46 PM
Hummers are impressive machines, but I'd sell one and get a small army of Scoobies, and collectively get almost the same milage if I ran them all at the same time.

Sigil Roland
Mar 4th, 2003, 08:10:54 PM
The only reason to own an SUV is when you go off road. Thats it. Heck if theres a road, drive a car. It's not that hard to figure out.

Lady Vader
Mar 4th, 2003, 08:14:46 PM
Hummers are impressive machines, but I'd sell one and get a small army of Scoobies, and collectively get almost the same milage if I ran them all at the same time.

What an analogy!!

I like my family's Tahoe. And surprisingly, it really doesn't eat that much gas.

And as to gas, while I pay attention to the prices, I don't really have to deal with them as I still drive my parents car which means using their credit card for gas. :D

Morgan Evanar
Mar 4th, 2003, 08:22:51 PM
It doesn't compared to even the Windstar, which gets about 19 in the city.

BTW, Scoobie = Subaru. For the price of a Hummer, you can buy a bunch of em.

I pay for gas in whatever car I'm driving. And now I'm putting in 150/mo for 500/mo of car insurance for all the cars and all the drivers. I prefer to drive the civic, because its manual, it handles REALLY well, and it gets about 28 in the city.

Well, 26 the way I drive it ^_^

Lady Vader
Mar 4th, 2003, 08:26:20 PM
BTW, Scoobie = Subaru.

OoooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh! And here I had this image of a bunch of Scoobies (great danes) running around, taking you from point A to point B. O_o :lol

Morgan Evanar
Mar 4th, 2003, 09:03:20 PM
Originally posted by Lady Vader
OoooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh! And here I had this image of a bunch of Scoobies (great danes) running around, taking you from point A to point B. O_o :lol Ah. As interesting as that would be, I think the smell would be equally... interesting. Besides, WRX STi = WHOOOO HAAAAAA!

Darth Viscera
Mar 4th, 2003, 09:07:32 PM
Originally posted by Sigil Roland
The only reason to own an SUV is when you go off road. Thats it. Heck if theres a road, drive a car. It's not that hard to figure out.

Over here, it snows a lot every 5.5 years (el nino), and the presence of SUVs makes it a certainty that hospitals and ambulances will still function. As soon as things start to break down, the county issues a call to anyone with an SUV to help out shuttling people around.

Snow is a big factor around these parts when considering which car to buy. People with SUVs can often break out and start driving around, while people without SUVs are stranded.

Figrin D'an
Mar 4th, 2003, 09:24:19 PM
My SUV came in handy earlier this evening. We're getting hit with a snow storm at the moment... the snow plows are having trouble keeping up. I was actually able to get out onto the main roads. Many people weren't.

Granted, many people buy SUV's for the wrong reasons (ie. status symbols). I'm not saying most aren't gas guzzlers... mearly that, in my personal experiences, I've found many uses for the one I own.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 4th, 2003, 09:43:16 PM
People with SUVs can often break out and start driving around, while people without SUVs are stranded.

Yeah, and Subaru's AWD system is flat out superiour to anything in any SUV available, and the wagons generally have almost the same clearance as the average SUV, or more if you're in a Forrester. Cars with AWD > SUVs, unless you're towing something.

Audis and Volvos with AWD do pretty well on the snow, too.

A lot of people up north seem to know this. I know this because there are a bazillion more (VA North, East of the Apalachians)* Audi's and Subarus than here, and they tend to outnumber SUVs too. Which is good, because they're safer, handle better and use less gas.

*I drove all over VA -> New England last year for two weeks, and this was my obseravation. Meanwhile, the roads of the south are littered with the ugly hulking pieces of crap.

Sanis Prent
Mar 4th, 2003, 09:56:04 PM
superiour

You ought to be deported, you damn Torrie turncoat bastard.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 4th, 2003, 09:57:01 PM
I see more SUVs stranded on the side of the roads here in Colorado in snowstorms than any other type of car. People with them tend to think they are indestructable, while I drive by in my Subaru Legacy sedan laughing and pointing at them.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 4th, 2003, 10:07:48 PM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent
You ought to be deported, you damn Torrie turncoat bastard.

Shush, Bamamonkey. Superior looks funny otherwise. I sort of pronouce it with a 'u" so it sticks when I write it. =p

My Uncle drives Subarus exclusively. He's got a pair of Legacy wagons. He liked them so much when he lived in Boston that when it was time to repalce his old sedan (he lives in Bethesda, MD, a DC suburb.) he just got new wagons for the extra room.

Sanis Prent
Mar 4th, 2003, 10:15:48 PM
As my grasp of the language is practically immaculate, I'll harass you with utter impunity :)

As for decent SUV's, Mercedes M-Class are rather nice, IMO.

Darth Viscera
Mar 5th, 2003, 01:35:02 AM
Bethesda is a fine city. It has USUHS, the NIH, the NIST, and Rio Grande, the best mexican restaurant in the country, plus the largest escalator in all the DC metro area. Housing costs are through the roof, though, it's over-developed.

We English superfluous, 210 years u's, discarded ago.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 5th, 2003, 04:39:57 AM
Originally posted by SWFans.Net
I see more SUVs stranded on the side of the roads here in Colorado in snowstorms than any other type of car. People with them tend to think they are indestructable, while I drive by in my Subaru Legacy sedan laughing and pointing at them.

Becuase SUV's have no handling dynamics, they have bad brakes, their suspesion design is woeful, their crash design is almost non existant. Want to seat five in comfort? There's far better options. Want to go offroad? Well, it's not the vehicle, its the driver skill that deems how far you go off road. I have put my Barina, ie buzz box, in some clearly ridiculous offroad stuff and it gets out quite nice. The soft-roaders Morgan alluded too are quite capable of going anywhere a SUV can, all except the most patently ridiculous places or bog holes.

It's a fallacy to think a SUV can handle mud, dirt and ice, or mud better than the current crop of small 4wd cars like the Sooby. They just can not. The small 4wd's are much more dynamically capable and in bad conditions, that's what you need. Only if the conditions are truly stupid does a SUV better a Sooby - and then get a European or Jap big 4wd. They are far superior to the mind numbing Detroit SUV rubbish.

The only real uses for a big 4wd, is serious offroading, heavy towing / load carrying, tradesmen or emergency services. The rest can be hadled by something faster, smaller, lighter, dynamically better and just plain cheaper.

I'll point out in Scandinavian countries, where it snows for much more of the year and driving conditions are a good deal worse, there is bugger all SUV's. Saabs and Volvos are designed for bad conditions and hence work brilliantly. Soobys and other small 4wd's have their origins in rallying - the technology used to help drivers do absurd speeds down goat tracks filtered down to normal road cars, to make them safe for mum and the kids. There really isnt an excuse for SUV's for normal roads and driving.

(Now I did say SUV's were dynamically bad. In the main they are. But some Japanese ones are riots to drive. The Mitsubitsi Pajero one of my loony mates has had his powersliding at 130 kph on dirt. Quite a sight that was. Course he was doing some rally chase work and needed to try to get to a service point before the actual race car did.... but then again, my father has a Forester and damn, that thing is sweet as. I'd love to have one, esp the GT. Turbo version.)

And thinking about small 4wd's Morg, the Galant is being finshed this weekend.

Ah. As interesting as that would be, I think the smell would be equally... interesting. Besides, WRX STi = WHOOOO HAAAAAA!

03 WRX STI = OMG what a schweet piece of work. I also hear GM Canada might be getting a licence to build Holden Commodores and Monaros for the USA market. If that's the case, enjoy the type of car we Aussie now take for granted. The 05 model is slated to have a 5 speed auto, top line IRS, 4 valve quad cam V6 pushing 200Kw - and that's the low end model. The high end get the works and a 350Kw Gen IV 6 litre. Plus they are either rear drive or 4wd. And seat 5 in comfort. It's a worry when a soccer mum's standard V8 Commodore can cut a 14.5 sec quarter. The high ends are down to 13.1. Confirmed the 427 HSV Monaro does 11.7 and canes any Porcshe, 50 of them being built. It really is ridiculous - we have these high perfomance cars any where in the world would be called sports sedans and for us they are just boring hacks and taxis.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 5th, 2003, 01:55:33 PM
torrie

:headbash I believe it's Tory. As in Whigs and Torys right? (I probably just screwed that up...)

Darth Viscera
Mar 5th, 2003, 02:15:33 PM
yes, Tory, funny that the loyalists are now our staunchest supporters over in Britonland.

ReaperFett
Mar 5th, 2003, 02:56:00 PM
1. Call them conservatives :)
2. The Conservatives are your staunchist supporters?

Eris Alexiel
Mar 5th, 2003, 03:19:57 PM
*plops down severed twilek arm*

Darth Viscera
Mar 5th, 2003, 05:22:41 PM
hey now, young tories are pro-war.

ReaperFett
Mar 5th, 2003, 05:32:13 PM
Noones pro war, not even the people in power are 100% for it! It's Blair, about 6 people and about 100 normal people, and thats it! :)

Darth Viscera
Mar 5th, 2003, 05:55:44 PM
Winston S. Churchill is for the war, and his grandfather was the guy who invented Iraq. He's also 1/8th american, because Winston Churchill was 1/2 american. pro-war baby!