PDA

View Full Version : Roy Jones Jr. defeats Jon Ruiz

JonathanLB
Mar 2nd, 2003, 12:00:44 AM
Heck of a good fight. Did anyone else watch?

I thought the undercard fights were also really good. My dad and I watched. I was going to do some work but I just had to watch. Back last summer I think it was, or sometime in the last year anyway, my dad and I watched Roy Jones Jr. fight at the Rose Garden here in Portland.

Jones is definitely one of the truly great fighters in history. Pound for pound, he's the biggest bad@$$ around! He's totally the man. Watching him dominate Ruiz like that despite weighing 25 pounds less was awesome.

The judges scored it really oddly though. One had it 116-112, another 117-111, and both those were off. The final judge had 118 points for Jones, which was much closer to accurate, if not 119 as HBO had it scored.

Ruiz looked pathetic. Jones is the first man to move up from where he was all the way to heavyweight champion since 1897. It was an historic boxing match, truly a great event. Jones has to be considered one of the best in history. He's probably my favorite to watch, but I like Oscar De La Hoya too.

I think Tyson is a fool, a total joke, and the kind of person who single-handedly ruins a sport. He is the stupidest man alive today who does not qualify for actual mental retardation (apparently?). I don't like Lewis much, but that guy is a great fighter too. He could probably wipe the floor with Jones just cuz he weighs like 50 pounds more, but that's hardly a fair comparison. Who knows, they may fight someday.

CMJ
Mar 2nd, 2003, 12:06:49 AM
Unfortunately I didn't see the fight, but I'm pleased with the outcome. Roy Jones Jr. is definitely one of my favorite fighters to watch.

My all time fave is Evander Holyfield, even if he's way past retirement age. His staying past his prime is kinda ruining his legacy.:\

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 2nd, 2003, 12:11:22 AM
Jeff Fenech is my favorite boxer. Three times World Champion and at his best, you could have a legitimate debate whether he is one or the best pound for pound boxer. Oh, and what about Tsuya Zu? Okay they are Aussies, but they are either ex-greats or current.

JMK
Mar 2nd, 2003, 12:17:53 AM
Could this fight have gone any other way? Jones jr would not have stepped in the ring with someone that much bigger if he wasn't certain he could beat him quite easily. I'm glad he did it, and he's cemented his place in history by doing this, but where else can he go with this? He can't fight a lesser heavyweight, and I doubt he'd fight anyone above Ruiz. But Jones is certainly the man.

Silus Xilarian
Mar 2nd, 2003, 12:27:22 AM
Actually, I thought the undercard fights werent that great, especially the one right before Ruiz/Lewis....It turned into a hugging match..

The fight itself was beauty. Not only is Jones one of the best pound for pound fighters ever, hes one of the cockiest (hes no Ali, but who is). It does something to you oppenent when you take a clean punch to the face and smile back. All in all, RJJ had that fight won from the get-go, and put on a show as well. And not to forget, Ruiz has a good 25 pounds and about 6-7 inches of reach on Jones Jr...

I wouldnt bet on him against Lennox Lewis, but hes a great fighter none the less.

JMK
Mar 2nd, 2003, 12:35:21 AM
Lewis vs Jones Jr would be completely different. I don't know if Jones would even think of accepting that match....

Silus Xilarian
Mar 2nd, 2003, 12:49:49 AM
They mentioned it in one of the prematch interviews...He kinda stepped around the question :p

JMK
Mar 2nd, 2003, 01:08:20 AM
Probably because he knows he wants no part of Lewis. Didn't want to come off as a wuss after beating a lesser heavyweight than Lewis...

Figrin D'an
Mar 2nd, 2003, 01:28:52 AM
Didn't watch the fight (hope to see the replay whenever they show it next week), but was pleased with the result. The heavyweight division gets really interesting now, with Jones, essentially a light-heavyweight, holding the one of the three major title belts. Of course, Jones would have to defend the title, or he'd be stripped of it, which is entirely possible as there is question as to if he would consider fighting in the heavyweight division again. But, who knows... there are some other heavyweights out there that Jones could beat.

As much as I like Roy Jones Jr, and continue to be amazed by his skill level, Lennox Lewis would slaughter him. It's just too big a size and reach difference. So, that fight will never happen, and it shouldn't. Jones is an incredible talent... I'd rather that he be able to maintain his legacy.

Silus Xilarian
Mar 2nd, 2003, 02:10:51 AM
I dont know if its the size and reach so much, but more or less the sheer power that a man like Lewis brings to the table. Couple that with the fact that Lewis has technique, and you've got a lethal combination.....Something that Mike Tyson found out the hard way. ^_^;

JonathanLB
Mar 2nd, 2003, 02:13:01 AM
I agree, Lewis would probably kill him, but it's not for sure. I mean, Ali was way outsized several times and everyone said he would get killed, but he proved he was the greatest ever :)

I thought the undercard fights were really good compared to sometimes, but yeah I got TICKED at that dude who kept hugging his opponent. FIGHT YOU WUSSY, NO HUGGING. Jeez, it got incredibly obnoxious. Still at least the fight was good mostly and unpredictable. I mean, I thought the other dude would lose quickly, then I thought he'd win, and then ultimately he lost anyway. Shucks.

Silus Xilarian
Mar 2nd, 2003, 02:45:03 AM
I think Jones VS Tyson could be an interesting fight....

Tyson = more power and reach, but he lacks the finese that Jones has. Plus, Tyson has never been a model of anger management. I could easily see Iron Mike throwing a flurry of punches, and then looking up in time to see Jones with a huge smile on his face after Tyson connected with nothing but air.

Constant taunting and showboating from RJJ could easily set Mike off, making him forget his game plan, and leaving him severely open....

The only question I have about this possible matchup.....Does RJJ have the power to be really effective against Tyson.....

BTW, sorry for getting off topic somewhat, this is just mulling over in my mind :)

My official statement: If Jones can last til the fourth round, then he can at least hold Iron Mike off and win by decision :)

JonathanLB
Mar 2nd, 2003, 05:28:11 AM
I think Jones would cream Tyson badly. Power has nothing on intelligence and speed.

Now Lewis is another matter, the dude isn't dumb at all. He's quick for a big guy, he's powerful, and he's one bad hombre! Tyson, however, is far too stupid to win against Jones, unless of course he landed a lucky blow early on, which would be a good possibility but I think Jones, on a good day anyway, could avoid that type of hit.

Eh, it'd be interesting to see. I'd pay to see it anyway. Or rather, my dad would, and I'd watch for free :D

JMK
Mar 2nd, 2003, 10:21:10 AM
Tyson is a pitbull though. He would go for the throat right away and try and smash Jones in the first round. Jones would have to jab and dance his way into the later rounds before even having a chance to drop Tyson.

Silus Xilarian
Mar 2nd, 2003, 08:34:23 PM
And Jones is just the man for the job. He'd dance around Tyson in the middle of the ring, and let Tyson wear himself out. He did it to Ruiz last night. All twelve rounds, Jones Jr kept moving around the ring. Everytime Ruiz would swing, he'd either miss, or get popped in the face before he could connect. After 12 rounds of moving around the ring, Ruiz was trying to grab Jones and rest, Jones looked like he could have went another 12 rounds....

JMK
Mar 3rd, 2003, 08:30:34 AM
I'm confident that Jones would beat Tyson, so long as he could avoid Tyson. He's not as slow as Ruiz. Dumber, but not slower.

Silus Xilarian
Mar 3rd, 2003, 01:29:18 PM
I agree totally JMK...

Plus, Tyson would fall for Jones' constant showboating. He'd end up throwing punches as hard as he could, forgetting any surefire strategy that his cornermen might have come up with for him.

and the scolding they would give him for losing his temper would make him even angrier....

I would feel alot better betting on Jones though, if I was sure he could take about 2 or 3 hard licks from Tyson....for the seldom times he'd make a mistake and Tyson would pop him.

JMK
Mar 3rd, 2003, 06:15:03 PM
That's the catch. I'm sure Jones could beat nearly anyone, but how many good pops to the noggin could he take? Jones is a businessman, he's not going to get into the ring with a heavyweight that he isn't 99% sure he will beat.

Jedieb
Mar 3rd, 2003, 07:25:57 PM
I like Jones alot. I think he could probably take Tyson. Iron Mike is a shell of his former self. But Lewis is a different story. It's not just that he's that much bigger and stronger than Jones, Lewis is a great BOXER to begin with. How is Jones going to handle that jab, let alone Lewis' power? It might be close in the early rounds, but Lewis is too good a boxer and strong a fighter for Jones to take. Even if they were the same size it would be a good fight IMO. I think Lewis is that good of a fighter.

JonathanLB
Mar 3rd, 2003, 07:31:48 PM
Lewis really IS a great boxer, too. He's not a dumb guy at all. He's a good boxer, he's big, and he's just hard to overcome.

Jones may be the best pound for pound boxer right now, or even one of the best ever, but Lewis has 50 pounds on him. That is HUGE, lol.

JMK
Mar 3rd, 2003, 09:44:32 PM
Jones is not the best pound for pound fighter ever because he beat Ruiz....

CMJ
Mar 3rd, 2003, 09:47:38 PM
His record indicates he's up there though Kyle.

JediBoricua
Mar 3rd, 2003, 10:23:58 PM
RJJ is waaaaaaaay overated. He has not fight any worthy opponent since '96, including Ruiz. And that must mean something coming from me, a prican who treats his boxers as demi-gods, Ruiz sucks! (BTW, keep ur eyes open for a certain Miguel Cotto at 140 pounds, you will not be dissapointed).

The fact that he is the first to start at 160 and win a title at HW since 1897 is impressive and will cement his legacy, but he is nowhere near the caliber of the legends of his divisions. He has benefitted from weak years at the middleweights, and in the last 5 years his resume of opponents include substitute teachers and taxi drivers. The man asks for respect and although he is a heck of an athlete, to have respect in boxing you must fight the best around until u retire or beat them all, not win one time, and then keep fighting 'chatas' for 5 years and hoping people will respect for what u did, c'mon who talks of the Chicago Bulls now? No one. Considering the current status of boxing, RJJ is among the top 3 pfp, but all time, not even close.

In my eyes RJJ will not be among the Sugar Ray Robinsons of this life until he beats an above average HW (like Chris Byrd), or if he goes and finally unifies his division against Klitscho (sp?), or maybe gives Hopkins a rematch, which he refused to a year ago. Until then he will be another great athlete, and a clown on the ring.

A Tyson-Jones fight would be a spectacle, but the main event would be the press-conferences IMO and Jones should win it (the boxing I mean). Unless of course Tyson is not as stupid as Ruiz and does not stop throwing punches until Jones is on the floor and his eyes have rolled to the back of his head.

JMK
Mar 3rd, 2003, 10:24:31 PM
No doubt he's up there, but he's not THE best IMO.
Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran, Bernard Hopkins, Larry Holmes and even Ali (a smaller heavyweight) have all beaten better guys than Jones at this point IMO.

JonathanLB
Mar 3rd, 2003, 11:00:28 PM
True, there are better boxers in the past pound for pound, of course, but...

"Jones is not the best pound for pound fighter ever because he beat Ruiz...."

Umm, nobody said he was for that reason alone. If you happened to notice, the guy is 48-1 or something. Maybe it was 47-1. The point is, his winning percentage is incredible, one of the best ever. Beating Ruiz was just icing on the cake.

He's incredibly fit and a great boxer, yes. I think he is worthy of being called one of the greats, especially in an era when we really don't have any Ali's or anyone else that great to watch.

JMK
Mar 3rd, 2003, 11:20:02 PM
I won't argue that he is one of the greatest, I just think it's too hard to qualify exactly WHO is the best of all time, and I think its easy to say Jones because he's the freshest on our minds.