PDA

View Full Version : KKK backs Augusta National

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 28th, 2003, 02:53:17 PM
Now this is a joke

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/story?id=1515675

I don't know if I feel sorry for them or not but I hope the KKK doesn't get a permit (I am not sure if they can deny them or not) I despise the KKK they shouldn't be there they need to stay home and keep their racial bashing to themselves.

ReaperFett
Feb 28th, 2003, 03:11:04 PM
They wouldnt dare. Considering the worlds greatest player is black, they wouldnt want the mass boycotts.

Darth Viscera
Feb 28th, 2003, 03:15:23 PM
*A lone, elderly man appears on the sidelines of the 5 opposing protest groups*

"Dontchoo fellas knowwat dere's a war on?"

:lol, golf.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 28th, 2003, 03:30:24 PM
I fail to get that joke, the KKK is a hate group so they love to make a name for themselves, and the other groups are probably up to the same thing.

Figrin D'an
Feb 28th, 2003, 03:45:37 PM
This is a disaster waiting to happen... you get diametrically opposed groups like the KKK and a Rainbow/PUSH coalition in the same spot at the same time, there will be violence. It will only take one little spark by a couple of people on either side to set it off.

As much as I think that Augusta National is woefully behind the times on their admissions policies, Burk's comments in that article make her appear to be little more than a social thug. She's attempting to bully the club into change, rather than having an open dialogue with them. If something aweful happens this April outside August National, she will be just as much to blame as the club itself.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Feb 28th, 2003, 04:02:36 PM
She's attempting to bully the club into change, rather than having an open dialogue with them.

How do you know she hasnt?

Figrin D'an
Feb 28th, 2003, 05:13:26 PM
Originally posted by Lady Daiquiri
How do you know she hasnt?

Writing a letter, then giving up on the effort, picketting and calling the existing membership "a bunch of biggots" isn't synonymous with establishing an open dialogue. It's more like a gut, unchecked response. Granted, Hootie Johnson is guilty of the same thing, by calling a press conference over the letter and saying, in a firey manner, that the club wouldn't change it's policies. The point is... both sides over reacted, and have contibuted to a socio-political mess that will likely come to a head the second weekend in April.

Turcyn Rorke
Feb 28th, 2003, 05:27:45 PM
"We're tired of poor, white trash calling themselves the Ku Klux Klan and the negative image the Ku Klux Klan is getting.''That part got a laugh out of me.

Jedieb
Feb 28th, 2003, 06:00:57 PM
At first I thought Hootie overreacted over Burk's letter. But the more I've listened to both sides, the more sympathy I feel for Hootie and Augusta. If you've listened to or read Burk's comments then you've seen her throw around the words; "discrimination", "sexist", and "bigot" left and right. She doesn't hesitate to label anyone at Augusta who thinks differently than she does with those words. For Yoda's sake, Hootie Johnson helped desegregate schools in the South years ago. He's probably no more of a bigot than I am.

It's a private club that defines its membership along gender lines. Is that really a problem? Gender isn't the same as race. Does Burk want same sex bathrooms and showers in public areas around the country? I bet she doesn't. I sure as hell wouldn't want to shower in club where I might run into a naked Burk. The sight might derail my sex drive for decades. Yeah, I'm degenerating into cheap he-man shots, but is that any worse than Burk calling every male member of Augusta who wants to be able to define their membership along gender lines a bigot? Augusta denied Bill Gates membership. Does that mean billionaires with bad haircuts should boycot or sue Augusta? Who'll join Gates, Dr. Evil?

Bottom line, Burk is waging a battle that's going to benefit 5-10 rich, white southern women. Way to go Martha! When I think of all the LEGITIMATE problems women in our society have to deal with on a daily basis I find it ridiculous that she's wasting her time with this. Women need her fighting for things like affordable daycare and equitable wages, not tee times at Augusta.

Figrin D'an
Feb 28th, 2003, 06:09:16 PM
Originally posted by Jedieb
Bottom line, Burk is waging a battle that's going to benefit 5-10 rich, white southern women. Way to go Martha! When I think of all the LEGITIMATE problems women in our society have to deal with on a daily basis I find it ridiculous that she's wasting her time with this. Women need her fighting for things like affordable daycare and equitable wages, not tee times at Augusta.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Jedieb
Feb 28th, 2003, 06:14:55 PM
Let's hope Martha doesn't come by these boards. We'll be labled as "bigots!" I think her attitude has only made Hootie and Augusta dig in their heels even more. No one likes to be called something like that especially someone who's fought against discrimination.

JMK
Feb 28th, 2003, 07:56:51 PM
Man, if there's one group I wouldn't want to show their support to me, its the Klan. Things couldn't be more perfect for Burk in this situation, and couldn't be worse for Hootie.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 28th, 2003, 08:31:31 PM
I know if their main support is comming from the Klan you know they are trouble, lets hope the Arian Nation doesn't decided to lend them their support.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Feb 28th, 2003, 11:53:43 PM

Excuse me?? Just what is wrong with wanting a tee time at Augusta? Oh, silly me, I forgot! We're supposed to be in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant after we've finished work and picked up the drycleaning and the kids from whatever sports practice they were at!

So what if it benefits 5 or 10 rich white women from the South? Its certainly benefitting the rich white men or dont the ladies get to enjoy themselves, too?

Jedieb, you and Fig......your responses......well!

Admiral Lebron
Mar 1st, 2003, 12:14:47 AM
Honestly, if a private club doesn't allow women, tough <smallfont color={hovercolor}>-Censored-</smallfont>. Its their choice. Just because guys do it doesn't mean women can't do the same.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 1st, 2003, 12:19:29 AM
Sorry Daiq I have to agree with the boys. Its a private club, the should be able to make their own rules. If I had a private club which was exclusive to women, I wouldn't dream of allowing a man into it. And it would be my right not to.

I think she should stop wasting her time and money and join a club that allows females. Augusta isn't being sexist, they're just staying true to their rules. Rules = no women. They certainly aren't telling Burk to stay at home in the kitchen, and I think Jedieb was saying that tongue in cheek. RIGHT Jedieb? :uhoh ;)

Bottom line: saying that women should be more concerned with affordable daycare is sexist.

Augusta's rules = perhaps sexist, but within their rights.

Admiral Lebron
Mar 1st, 2003, 12:22:43 AM
Because we must argue about every trivial thing until it becomes a flamefest and is closed.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 1st, 2003, 12:23:55 AM
hehe sorry I edited :p For those of you keeping score at home I had previously said :
why are we even arguing about this? at the end of my post.

Admiral Lebron
Mar 1st, 2003, 12:27:12 AM
Trying to make me look crazy eh?

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Mar 1st, 2003, 12:33:21 AM
Im not arguing for what Burk is doing or for what the club isnt doing. I found Jedieb's remarks (and Fig's agreement) sexist in that what Burk should be concerned about for women is better wages and daycare.

Im not angry. Im surprised. If I misunderstood, I apologise. :)

Figrin D'an
Mar 1st, 2003, 12:41:33 AM
Originally posted by Lady Daiquiri
Excuse me?? Just what is wrong with wanting a tee time at Augusta? Oh, silly me, I forgot! We're supposed to be in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant after we've finished work and picked up the drycleaning and the kids from whatever sports practice they were at!

So what if it benefits 5 or 10 rich white women from the South? Its certainly benefitting the rich white men or dont the ladies get to enjoy themselves, too?

Jedieb, you and Fig......your responses......well!

There's nothing wrong with wanting a tee time at Augusta National. I'd love to play a round there. Unfortunately, it'll never happen. I'm not member, I doubt I ever will be, and I don't know know anyone whom is a member. Why? It's a private club, and you have to be insanely rich to even have a shot at getting in. Either that, or play on the PGA tour and be high enough in the world rankings to get an invite to The Masters.

But, that's irrelevent.

The point here is this. Burk is part of NOW (National Organization for Women). In her crusade to force Augusta National to admit a female member, she is using funds from said organization. So, she's diving into the coffers of a non-profit organization to benefit, say, maybe a dozen women whom a) would have the funds to launch an independant campaign of their own if they wished, and b) whom it was likely would have been given offers of membership within the next couple of years anyway. Believe it or not, Augusta National was considering extending membership to a few women before Burk wrote her letter. Several members have indicated that there was reasonably strong sentiments to do so. Now, did Hootie Johnson and some other members act like jackasses because of the Burk's letter? IMO, yes. But, they do have a point.

Now, would rather have her using such resources on this matter, or contribute to things like ensuring Title IX's future, providing funding to lift single mothers above the poverty line, fighting for equal work/equal pay standards, and pushing for increased education and funding to stop domestic abuse?

I'm not being sexist. Far from it. I'm being pragmatic. And in my pragmatic view, Burk and NOW have other fights that would be a more effective and efficient focus of their efforts.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 1st, 2003, 12:46:34 AM
I completely and totally agree with your post, Figgy.

JMK
Mar 1st, 2003, 11:08:17 AM
I agree as well. Has she ever said why she thought getting a handful of women memberships at a place they wouldn't be welcome is so high on her list of priorities?

Wei Wu Wei
Mar 2nd, 2003, 12:19:06 PM
Figrin has the right idea. Burk is focusing on the wrong thing. Feminism has turned from a movement that makes the lives of women better into a movement that goes around screaming about how men are scum. A very proactive movement has become incredibly reactive. If anyone wants to be respected, then they should show respect. Pointing fingers and name calling is not way to gain respect.

Jedieb
Mar 3rd, 2003, 09:41:20 AM
Figrin covered a lot of bases but I want to get to why I brought up daycare.

Why is it sexist for me to say women need to be concerned with affordable daycare? Do you have any idea what DECENT day care costs in this country? My wife and I crank out over $800 a MONTH in day care for our two Padawans! ($940 for the last 3 months because we had to send our youngest daughter to a backup caregiver because her primary one was laid up at a hospital.) We have the benefit of having good paying jobs and college degrees. HOW THE HELL DOES A SINGLE MOM WITH 2 KIDS COME UP WITH THAT KIND OF MONEY?! And I assure you there are a ton of more single Moms struggling with the Daycare issue I reffered to than single Dads. Many of those Moms are single because the so called Dads have left the building. Working to improve childcare would benefit MILLIONS of women and children in this country. The Augusta battle is going to benefit a small niche of rich white southern women. Burk is WASTING her time battling a PRIVATE club that structures its membership on class and income.

Also, women can and HAVE played at Augusta. They are invited as guests. They just can't become members. Women golfers should form their own organization and exclude men. Wait a minute, they did, it's called the LPGA Tour! Why can't pro male golfers who can't hang with Tiger sue the LPGA to let them play against the women and hit off their tees? WHERE'S THE OUTRAGE!!!!

oink, oink, oink.... ;)

Sanis Prent
Mar 3rd, 2003, 10:06:02 AM
The only way that she could get at a private institution is to go after their money, and put pressure on those who finance Augusta, which I don't know who does. You can't obligate a private institution to do this stuff, it just doesn't work that way.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Mar 3rd, 2003, 02:45:07 PM
Jedieb, I didnt get your PM sent (did send one to Fig) so I'll say it here......

I admit that I did get a bit angry and I shouldnt have. Im sorry. Overall, I basically agree with you. However, I firmly believe your wording was less than complimentary. It would equate to me saying something along the line of, "Men should concern themselves with the cost of motor oil and the high price of tickets at sporting events."

Im not supporting Burk in what shes doing nor am I condeming her. If women want to concern themselves with the cost of the daycare, thats fine and dandy. To say that they should or need to, is something else.

Jedieb
Mar 3rd, 2003, 07:39:16 PM
I admit that I did get a bit angry and I shouldnt have. Im sorry. Overall, I basically agree with you. However, I firmly believe your wording was less than complimentary. It would equate to me saying something along the line of, "Men should concern themselves with the cost of motor oil and the high price of tickets at sporting events."

Lady D. let me say that I'm very sorry if I offended you. That's not they way I intended my statement to be interpreted. I said it because affordable daycare is a real issue that millions of women have to deal with on a daily basis. It doesn't just effect them, it effects children all over the country. This is an issue that I see the effects of everyday I go to work. I didn't mean what I said in terms of "That's what a good little woman should worry about." That kind of attitude is abhorant to me and it's something my wife has to put up with at her job day in and day out. I meant it in the spirit that daycare is an important issue that effects millions of women across the country on a daily basis. Tee times at Augusta doesn't. When I say
Women need her fighting for things like affordable daycare and equitable wages, not tee times at Augusta. it's because I believe that Burk would help many more people, women, boys, & girls, if she used her platform to tackle something like childcare than membership at Augusta.

Now excuse me, I have to go rub the feet of my pregnant, high income generating, Accounting degree holding, hard working, significant other. :angel

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 3rd, 2003, 08:32:36 PM
Actually I think this KKK thing will get a woman in, I think the Augusta National has no choice unless they want to be labeled bigots, if the KKK is there they will have Al Sharpton, Jessie Jackson and maybe even Farakhaan do they want a riot on Washinton Road? Here is a good article on it

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/columnist?id=1517496

I think they will have no choice really other wise there might be a huge mess here on Masters Week.

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Mar 3rd, 2003, 08:39:49 PM
Ugh, Farrakhan. Can we take that idiot and the KKK, put them in a wool sack, and let them kill each other off?

Wei Wu Wei
Mar 3rd, 2003, 08:53:25 PM
Farrakhan? Who's that? I'm afraid I have never heard of him before.

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Mar 3rd, 2003, 09:14:41 PM
The leader of the Nation of Islam, and a hatemonger in civil rights clothing.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 4th, 2003, 02:03:31 PM
I would like to see him and the leader of the Arian nation in a woodshed together get rid of two hatemongers at once.

Diego Van Derveld
Mar 4th, 2003, 07:43:10 PM
AMEN....I can't abide hatemongers. People who are racist make so very little sense to me. They're so incredibly one dimensional that it boggles my mind. On one hand, I can't stand the Aryan Nation / Skinhead / KKK types, because it sells the image to some that "lots of white guys think like that", and makes me ill. On the other hand, its no less evil to be a hatemonger while pretending to advocate civil rights. There are a lot of good civil rights groups out there getting absolutely torpedoed beneath the waterline by guys like Farrakhan...who blatantly admit their desire to "rise up against the white man, and destroy the Jewish race, etc etc etc".

I'd like to think that these guys, in their warped perceptions, mean well...at least to their own groups. But even then, they're HURTING them with their hate. Level-headed people like you and me should really be pissed off at these people, and let them know it. When "one of their own" tells them the painful truth, maybe it'll be a kick in the teeth.