PDA

View Full Version : Who Will Emmit play for? If Any.

MasterPewter
Feb 28th, 2003, 12:29:57 AM
Now that Emmit has been cut (from the Cowboys. Duh!!)who do you think he will play for? Personally I hope he stays in Texas and play for the Texans. I know that is just wishfull thinking but who knows?

(Crossing Fingers):D

CMJ
Feb 28th, 2003, 12:34:08 AM
He's gonna go to a contender....

Figrin D'an
Feb 28th, 2003, 12:42:40 AM
Expect the Raiders, Buccaneers and Panthers to all be interested.

Admiral Lebron
Feb 28th, 2003, 12:52:35 AM
Bucc's can't afford him.

Sanis Prent
Feb 28th, 2003, 12:56:32 AM
Pshyeah! :lol

Lets see...they win the Super Bowl, and he's a sunset runningback.

I think they can manage.

Taylor Millard
Feb 28th, 2003, 12:56:34 AM
I'm going to kill Jerry Jones...even if the split was more amicable than the Aikman/Jones one.

I'm still going to kill him. :verymad

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 28th, 2003, 12:57:55 AM
The Raiders defintely can't take them I know they don't have the room. The Bucs could they will have to work to get there. The Panthers seem the best bet, I think they will sign him and Stewart, those two signs could help them get even better.

Admiral Lebron
Feb 28th, 2003, 01:08:06 AM
Bucs bought the superbowl.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 28th, 2003, 01:14:31 AM
they didn't buy the super bowl just had an incredible season.

Figrin D'an
Feb 28th, 2003, 01:16:37 AM
The Bucs still don't have a running game. They won on the stength of their defense and Brad Johnson's arm. Pittman is a scat-back, Alstott is a bull... they don't have have balanced back. That, and Gruden likes Smith. The Bucs will have enough room to sign him if the choose... they have a lot of free agents, they won't be able to keep all of them (Shelton Quarles, Dexter Jackson, Rob Johnson, Rickey Dudley, Shawn King, Lomas Brown, Roman Oben). They'll keep the defense intact, so Quarles and Jackson will be resigned. The rest are likely to be gone, except maybe Dudley (Gruden's pet project). Dump Rob Johnson and a few others, work Smith's price down a little, and he could be in a Bucs uniform.

The Raiders may not be able to keep Charlie Garner, so if they can restructure the some contracts (they dumped a fair amount of salary today), Oakland is a viable option. Besides, Al Davis loves superstars, even ones in the twilight of their careers.

Carolina's leading rusher last season was a rookie (Deshawn Foster), and he didn't last the entire year. The need a steady guy, and Smith just doesn't get hurt. Good fit, if he's willing to play for a team that is rebuilding.

Admiral Lebron
Feb 28th, 2003, 01:21:08 AM
They bought that superbowl. They spent like 8 million and 3 first round draft picks on a coach alone. . . They might get one more good season and then they will have to make a lotta cuts.

Figrin D'an
Feb 28th, 2003, 01:28:36 AM
I will agree that they've got maybe 2-3 more seasons worth of decent shots at the title before they'll need to start rebuilding. Then the defense will get too expensive to keep intact.

Admiral Lebron
Feb 28th, 2003, 01:32:35 AM
Ravens did the same thing...

jjwr
Feb 28th, 2003, 05:54:22 AM
Thing is the Bucs didn't exactly come out of Nowhere like the Patriots, Ravens and Rams did. All of those teams had non-playoff seasons the year before they won the Superbowl.

The Bucs are always in the playoffs and in the NFC Championship at least once in the past few years before the SB. They've been very good the past 4 years or so, just finally got a great Coach to get them over the hump.

As for Emmitt, he's loaded and he wants to play, he'll sign a small contract with a contender where he thinks he'll get a chance to play and contribute.

Jedieb
Feb 28th, 2003, 11:40:50 AM
The Bucs EARNED that Superbowl!!!!! :shootin

You're making it seem as if they somehow cheated. Hell, EVERY team BUYS a Superbowl. At least now with the salary cap every team has an equal chance. The days of spending $40M more than everyone else (Cowboys, Niners) are gone.

But it's the salary cap that's forced Emmit out. He's still going to count against the Cowboys' cap. (Around $4M I think.) I think it's between the Bucs and the Panthers. I think the Panters would be willing to give him more money and more playing time. I'm not sure if he'd get the amount of touches he'd like in Tampa Bay. I don't think they'll be able to give him as much money as Carolina. Regardless of where he goes, it'll be a SHOCK to see him in another uniform. Kind of like watching Rice in Raider black. Does he want to win (Tampa) or does he want to carry the ball a lot(Carolina)? I think he's definitely going to get picked up. It's going to be an interesting off season.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 28th, 2003, 02:44:24 PM
If he goes to Carolina he will turn the into a winner, they won 7 games last year and he would give them 2 more wins, not sure if they would make the playoffs but they could go 9-7, they really need a better QB. As far as the Raiders, I haven't heard anything about them dumping Garner, is it because of the cap? I know he is not a FA.

Jedieb
Feb 28th, 2003, 06:12:09 PM
I can't see him going to the Raiders because of their salary cap problems. I really think Tampa would be a great fit for Emmit. ESPN's John Clayton says the Bucs are only willing to pay Emmit the league minimum. I don't know how big an issue money is with Emmit these days. No team is going to give him top dollar because of his age. Again, carries=Carolina, playoffs and a title game=Bucs. What does he want?

jjwr
Feb 28th, 2003, 06:34:11 PM
Last year the Panthers drafted a young stud RB by the name of Deshaun Foster, he had a early injury which kept him out for the year.

Bringing in Emmitt is a possibility to tutor him and carry the torch for a year but I"m not sure how much sense it makes, especially considering they don't have much of a QB or offense to speak of.

Odds are he'll go cheap to which ever team has the best chance to win and give him decent playing time.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 28th, 2003, 08:38:19 PM
I heard that Carolina might sign Kordell as well, not that he is a great QB but he is better than Chris Wieknie and aging Rodney Peete. Some where I read the Chiefs are a possibility too, because of the concern with Holmes injury, I think they are thinking using him a part time role, like they did with Marcus Allen. I am not sure if he would want to play a reduced role so the Chiefs may not be a possibility.

Admiral Lebron
Mar 1st, 2003, 12:13:38 AM
Bucs earned nothing. Their super team which costs too much stole the bowl.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 1st, 2003, 12:31:55 AM
Actually the Raiders paid more than the Bucs, they had a lot more pricer players than the Bucs. Still I agree with Jedieb, this isn't baseball you can't out spend the other teams every team has the same cap to work with.

Admiral Lebron
Mar 1st, 2003, 12:33:01 AM
They bought it I say! Bought it!!!!!!!!!! :cry

JMK
Mar 1st, 2003, 11:26:42 AM
No they didn't. Say, you wouldn't happen to be a disgruntled member of Raider Nation, would you? ;)

If everyone has the same amount to work with, everyone has the same opportunities, technically speaking. Coaching means alot in the NFL, moreso than any other of the 4 major sports, the Bucs decided to pay out a huge amount to coaching, and it paid off, whereas the Raiders place their funds & faith in the hands of aged hall-of-fame receivers. They lost. Oh well. The Bucs beat them, they earned it.

Jedieb
Mar 3rd, 2003, 10:56:38 AM
If Lebron is a member of the Raider nation he should realize he's only crying becaue Al Davis SOLD Gruden. The Bucs didn't steal him ya know. But hey, you're only crying for Superbowl loss, plenty of Bucs fans were crying for 27 years. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 3rd, 2003, 01:19:22 PM
The Raiders will be fine eventually :p Now this is coming from a Chiefs fan, seeing them lose was a grea moment for me. Also I had better news today my chiefs picked by Barber, an OLB from the Eagles, he is great he is quick and will really help our defense. I am now hoping they sign Douglas (DE from the Eagles) and then their defense will be 10 times better right there.

Figrin D'an
Mar 3rd, 2003, 02:44:08 PM
No, the Chiefs need to sign away some of the defensive players from Tampa Bay... :p

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 3rd, 2003, 02:58:28 PM
LOL. I wish we could. Still Barber and Douglas would be great in KC those were the two best defenders the Eagles had last year and they would greatly improve our defense. I also think that with Sims healthy (our #1 pick last year) that will help as well. Plus we get Woods back who is a great FS who was really missed in that secondary mostly because of his leadership. KC is getting there I think the offense will be just as leathal as it was this past year, could be better if they use Gonzalez better. And if they defense can get better, maybe to middle of the pack watch out the Chiefs could make a run.

Hadrian Invicta
Mar 3rd, 2003, 03:55:34 PM
Rams didn't buy their super bowl win or apperance, in fact they always are under the cap.

Raiders bought their way into the superbowl so they shouldn't be complaining. I just hate Gruden, he epitomizes the "me first" character that is gradually taking over football like it's taken over basketball.

Jedieb
Mar 3rd, 2003, 07:19:36 PM
I know I'm biased as a Buc fan, but I have to say Gruden has done everything right in Tampa Bay. He took great care to give Tony Dungy his due credit before and AFTER the Superbowl. He was in the same spot that Mooch was in SF. He was a lame duck coach that hadn't gotten an extension from his team. What was he suppose to do? All the Raiders did was sell him to TB. Gruden and TB still had to work out a contract after the Glazers paid all that money and those draft picks. Gruden never took a shot at those that were in TB before him and he went over there with almost no staff. I really like the guy. Hell, Parcells treated the Bucs worse than Gruden ever will.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 4th, 2003, 06:38:09 PM
The Chiefs continue to improve their defense they added Dexter McCleon today a good CB who used to be a great starter for the Rams (he had 12 INTs from 1999-2001) he is actually better than probably either corner KC has right now (well at least Bartee). They are still pursing Douglas and Barber is trying to help them there. He has talked to him, himself and they are very good friends so he might come to KC which would be great and the defense will be a lot better next year.

Jedieb
Mar 4th, 2003, 06:44:13 PM
KC could be pretty scary if they got any kind of defense. The team in that division that may fall is Denver. Especially if they go after Jake Plummer.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 4th, 2003, 09:07:10 PM
I think Plummer is better than Griese, still there are a lot of problems on that team the defense really fell apart towards the end, and they are getting old in certain key positions like the Raiders. The Chiefs could be very interesting, I hope they pick Douglass so they can finally have a good defense.

JMK
Mar 5th, 2003, 09:06:43 AM
KC looks to be definetly taking steps in the right direction. IMO Griese is still a good QB who merely had a bad year. He needs a change of scenery badly. Meanwhile, my Dolphins sit and do nothing but keep the same perennial chokers. But they did sign the kicker to a 1 year deal. The same one who gave the Pats a 30 yard punt and great field possession in the last game of the year. Unbelievable. :rolleyes

Jedieb
Mar 5th, 2003, 09:58:11 AM
I think the Dolphins are in great shape. What they need is HEALTHY Fiedler. If Fiedler had started all 16 games then the Dolphins would have made the playoffs. With that running game there's no telling how far they could have gone.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 5th, 2003, 11:14:50 AM
Grisie is a good QB but I think Plummer has more talent of course he hasn't really used it all, and am not sure if it is too late or not, he played for the awful Cardinals for too long. Still, Plummer might not sign with Denver, Chicago is pursuing him as well and the Bears have more cap room so if Plummer is more interested in money he might go there. Also about KC, Douglas is there tonight and I am hoping that Barber can convince him to come aboard, that would make their defense even better.

Sene Unty
Mar 5th, 2003, 12:25:10 PM
I think the Dolphins are in great shape. What they need is HEALTHY Fiedler. If Fiedler had started all 16 games then the Dolphins would have made the playoffs. With that running game there's no telling how far they could have gone.

YES! YES! AND ANOTHER BIG YES!

I agree completly (mainly because I am a Dolphins fan :D). If Ricky can duplicate his success and Fiedler can stay healthy (he really is the perfect QB for the dolphins.) then they have a real chance at doing great.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 5th, 2003, 01:18:14 PM
Well the AFC is so wide open in my opinion, the Dolphins have a chance. It is impossible at this point to pick a favorite and probably won't be easy until the beginning of next season.

JMK
Mar 5th, 2003, 04:57:30 PM
Yes, but is it realistic to expect Ricky to have another 1800+ yard season? If he had gone down to injury, there's no telling how far down the Fish would have sank. They were extremely lucky to not have Ricky injured this past season. I agree that if Fiedler had stayed healthy, they probably would have finished with 11 wins and made the playoffs. But they would have choked thereafter. There's no killer instint on that team. Fiedler to me seems to be a competent QB, but not a great leader that a team needs to make a deep playoff run, nevermind a Super Bowl run.

Sene Unty
Mar 6th, 2003, 01:18:49 PM
I agree completly with the killer instinct thing. That IMO, is the Dolphins greatest problem. They will always just grind it out in the end and never go for the jugular. That was way to apparent in the New England game. They should have wrapped that thing up quickly, but they didn't. They let it all slip away...

JMK
Mar 6th, 2003, 01:58:35 PM
When they decided to kick a field goal instead of gambling on the 4th & 1 and going for the 7 points, I knew the game was over.

Jedieb
Mar 6th, 2003, 05:06:51 PM
Year after year the Fins enter the mid season at around 6-2 and look great. Then comes the inevitable late season struggles. Until they can trounce somebody in late December and make a great run they'll have this hanging around their heads. I think Ricky should be able to give them 1,400 yards next season. Which is more than enough. The key for them is Fiedler. He's got to be consistent and healthy.