PDA

View Full Version : Idea/Suggestion --related to political discussions

JMK
Feb 27th, 2003, 07:51:23 PM
With all of the disagreements about how to handle heated political debates, I thought of an idea, but am not sure how feasible/practical it is.

If one of us mods decides that a thread is heading in, or has already headed in the wrong direction, and wants to close it, but isn't 100% sure whether or not it should be closed, can we have a function or icon added that denotes a temporary closing? It's really no different than an actual closing, but the icon associated with it would at least let the other members know that the thread isn't being completely shut down, and is most likely being discussed in the mod forum. It may seem a little redundant at first, but I think it would be useful to the members in that it's also a reminder that "if you cool it, the thread may be re-opened." IMO, its a little less heavy-handed than "this thread is closed, you all blew it".

Thoughts?

TheHolo.Net
Feb 27th, 2003, 07:52:30 PM
I like the idea, but am not sure about making a function of that nature. I can investigate.

CMJ
Feb 27th, 2003, 07:52:43 PM
Interesting, but it may take awhile to get everyone to discuss it. I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 27th, 2003, 08:07:28 PM
I like the idea if its such a function can be made.

TheHolo.Net
Feb 27th, 2003, 08:10:23 PM
I see the idea as sort of a "warning" system, warning that a topic is starting to head in an unfavorable direction.

Sanis Prent
Feb 27th, 2003, 08:32:47 PM
Now that sounds like a good idea!

JMK
Feb 27th, 2003, 08:34:13 PM
That's basically my idea. We could then mull it over here and decide it's fate here. But you're right, it is more of an indicator that the topic is falling apart.

Taylor Millard
Feb 27th, 2003, 10:35:41 PM
I like it. I think it's a good idea

TheHolo.Net
Feb 28th, 2003, 01:57:07 PM
I have created a hack that will change the post indicator icon to a wrning icon if the thread is "warned" at my test forum, so this is entirely possible to do technically. And it is done in almost the exact same way you close/open a thread.

For now I have installed it here as well (it can be removed), but at the moment the command to place the thread warning icon on a thread is only available in the T-Phantom style, but the icon is visible in all styles.

TheHolo.Net
Feb 28th, 2003, 04:27:14 PM
Eh, I have added the command to all the standard SWFans styles. it can be found in the "Admin Options" drop down when viewing a thread.

I have made an announcement in OOC and BO about this new post indicator with an example icon for the respective threads to show and explain what it means.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 28th, 2003, 06:23:17 PM
Excellent :)

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 28th, 2003, 08:50:20 PM
Cool, and there is already a thread that may need it soon, somebody posted a thread about Bush and the War but I am going to wait until somebody responds directly to and see the reaction, I don't want to make it look like we are jumping the gun on it, hopefully the thread will remain peacefully without it.