PDA

View Full Version : More Troy casting

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 26th, 2003, 01:22:27 PM
They are getting closer to finishing casting of the epic film Troy

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/nm/20030225/film_nm/film_troy_dc&e=4

Peter O'Toole will be playing the tragic figure of Priam, the last king of Troy.
Brendan Gleason will be playing the king of Sparta, Menelaus whose wife Helen has been stolen by Paris. Brian Cox (soon to be seen playing the villain in X2) will be playing the evil Agamemnon, Menelaus' brother in law and King of Mycenea. Julie Christie will be playing Achillies mother (not sure if they will get into the fact that she accidently missed his heel when she dipped him in that lake. For those that don't understand that the lake made him invicible except for his heel which is how he died). Sean Bean will be playing the trickster Odysseus. Rose Byrne will play Briseis, the woman Achillies loves. So far their is no word on who will play Helen, they are still searching for that part. There are also a few other minor characters to be cast, Ajax (another greek warrior) Nestor, King of the Pylians, and the Trojan prophet Cassandra who foretole the doom of Troy, though nobody believed her.
I have to say I can't wait for this movie this to me is the movie I most looking foward to in 2004.

James Prent
Feb 26th, 2003, 05:19:27 PM
Its hard to dip someone into a lake without holding onto SOME part of his body. Of course, she could have just dipped her hand in too....Achilles = totally invincible, and his mom with an invincible hand!

CMJ
Feb 26th, 2003, 05:48:52 PM
I'm really looking forward to this one too. I loved the Trojan War myths, perhaps my favorites in all of the Greek stuff I read as a kid.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 26th, 2003, 08:28:29 PM
I always loved the Trojan war, so I can't wait to see this movie. I am really curious who they pick to play Helen.

Sage Hazzard
Feb 27th, 2003, 03:22:17 AM
I think they should leave it uncast. She's the most beautiful woman on earth, so why show her and ruin it for those who disagree that she's good looking? Just have her always off camera. Make it a mystery. I think it'd be better that way. I'd hate to see a woman I think of as unappealing playing such a part.

Who'll play Achilles? Or is it uncast as of yet? And Odysseus the trickster? He's a trickster? I don't remember that. One of my favorite characters. Especially since the Odyssey's great. Now THAT should be make into a film.

Oh, and what about... heck, I've forgotten his name. Starts with an H. One of the few figures in Greek Mythos that isn't corrupt.

I'll see this film. I love Greek mythology.

Sejah Haversh
Feb 27th, 2003, 03:28:12 AM
You don't know abotu Odysseus being a Trickster? Did you ever read The Oddesy by Homer?! Geez! We're only talking Mr. Trojan Horse here! Not to mention that cool trick on the cyclops, and then his trick back at his own home, among others.

Yeah, I'd say Odysseus was a trickster, alright!

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 27th, 2003, 03:48:13 AM
:lol

Sage Hazzard
Mar 1st, 2003, 01:37:07 AM
Oh, that kind of Trickster. I thought it was refering to a Lokiesque god of trickery kind of thing. I always thought of him more of a resourcefull dude. Like the guy who can outsmart people through his intellect. When I think trickster I think pulling pranks and the like. I get it now. :lol

Yeah, I did read a compounded version of the Oddesey. About 30 pages long. :) So sue me. :lol

Sejah Haversh
Mar 1st, 2003, 02:38:18 AM
Yeah, Odysseus is more of a Captain Kirk kind of trickster.

And.... THIRTY PAGES?!?!?! What? No no no! That is a BUTCHERY of a classic and important piece of literature. You march yourself to the library right now and check out the whole thing. Get the Illiad while your at it, too.

Okay, well, maybe it's not that drastic, but, you really should read the whole thing. IT's great.

ReaperFett
Mar 1st, 2003, 04:25:36 AM
Yeah, Odysseus is more of a Captain Kirk kind of trickster.
I....think we should...build a trojan horse ;)

Mu Satach
Mar 1st, 2003, 07:31:06 AM
http://home.utah.edu/~nrm26960/images/67.jpg

The next one of you that tries any trick... (http://trekwavs.topcities.com/s3/65/ability.wav)

:D

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 1st, 2003, 10:55:23 PM
LOL, that is what I meant trickery namely the Trojan Horse. Also it is interesting that is trickery ended him up in hell according to Dante, he put him in the 8th layer of hell, in the 8th pouch in the with Fraudlent counclers his punishment is that he is consetnantly being burned alive, sounds a little cruel to me. Their is another great book The Divine Comedy is great for the part alone of seeing Dante kick a man in the head, whose body is underneath ice. (It is a part of hell where Hell has really froze over).

Admiral Lebron
Mar 1st, 2003, 11:06:44 PM
I think Jew's went to the 7th circle with the glutons.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 1st, 2003, 11:31:44 PM
The Gluttons are towards the top as I recall. Ciphas, who was a Jew is in the 8th circle but it has to do with his betrayal of Jesus.