PDA

View Full Version : Split from - Staff changes

Sanis Prent
Feb 26th, 2003, 03:49:21 AM
Its the age-old collectivist vs fascist argument. Both have pro's and con's. Collectivism is fair, and allows everyone their fair say, but is cumbersome to the point of nothing ever getting done. Fascism is quick, and expedient in operation, but generally takes little heed to other viewpoints. Both suck, so naturally, the best bet is somewhere in between, but where.

I personally think we're pretty close to perfect here. A few tweaks maybe toward a more authoritative approach, and we'll be fine.

ReaperFett
Feb 26th, 2003, 03:50:06 AM
The problem isnt the running, it's the people ran :)

Sanis Prent
Feb 26th, 2003, 04:15:33 AM
What?

ReaperFett
Feb 26th, 2003, 04:28:12 AM
Well, you say it's the Mod style that needs tweaking. But think this way. We have people like Marcus, who post in threads to, as far as I can tell, just cause an argument. We have a poster who said people basically have no morals or values if they had a girlfriend and look at another. We have people who post in a threadjust to say they dont like an idea, which does nothing except change the direction of a thread. And as today, we saw we have people who dont want to "Go with the flow", instead acting as if it is their god giving <smallfont color={hovercolor}>-Censored-</smallfont>ing right to know everything.

You cant change this sadly. You get a hand dealt, you play as much as you can.

Shawn
Feb 26th, 2003, 04:45:59 AM
(tried to find a good point to split the thread at, without losing any of the suggestions that were relevant to it.)

Yes, there are a lot of people with radically different opinions on things. That's no different than any other board.

I think the difference here is that we have a definite "By the People, for the People" attitude, whereas other boards are usually more like "This is our board, we're letting you post on it".

Taylor Millard
Feb 26th, 2003, 10:57:50 AM
Well, do we want to nominate a spokesperson or something?

Maybe have a weekly, 'State of the Board' address?

ReaperFett
Feb 26th, 2003, 11:08:41 AM
TF.N does that, and the AC did, I had to do one. But the thing was, a week on their HUGE board had, say, 10 points? I think a Monthly one would be better.

Shawn
Feb 26th, 2003, 11:11:27 AM
I don't see what purpose it would serve. Each member of the staff should serve as a spokesperson. And I can't see what could possibly go into a "State of the Board" address. Not trying to shoot the idea down, but I'm struggling to see the practicality of it or how it would alieve the situation.

Taylor Millard
Feb 26th, 2003, 11:12:56 AM
Well it was semi-tongue in cheek.

Plus I'm looking for anything to help keep my news writing up to speed.

ReaperFett
Feb 26th, 2003, 11:52:42 AM
It provides a bridge between the Mods and the great unwashed, so that they can see what those in secret forums are speaking about. They are also good as places to get opinions from the regular users.

But again, works better with big boards.

TheHolo.Net
Feb 26th, 2003, 07:31:17 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
And this is the thing. If we change our current attitude, dont we just become another General Ceel? I haven't seen anyone here say we were going to, so this statement has no grounds whatsoever.

ReaperFett
Feb 26th, 2003, 07:33:00 PM
No, I don't think any changes to policy should be made at this time.
Post directly above. Was there any grounds for that? Because mine is on the exact same topic.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 27th, 2003, 03:33:05 AM
What, are we going to say "This week we had six lurkers!"

:p Or ? I don't know what a state of the board address would..a.ddress..

Navaria Tarkin
Feb 27th, 2003, 02:44:48 PM
Really confused as to why we need this.. tho the jokes are funny.

Is the problem that the posters don't feel informed? Cuz, Ogre makes sure to annouce huge things and we hold votes for mods/admins and stuff... most everyone here knows that can PM a mod for most things

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 27th, 2003, 05:08:58 PM
Yeah we don't need any more opinions from our users. :x

;)

JMK
Feb 27th, 2003, 05:58:40 PM
Maybe we should open a 'complaint department' forum. Then ban all staffers from visiting it. :D

Shawn
Feb 28th, 2003, 07:17:50 PM
And this is the thing. If we change our current attitude, dont we just become another General Ceel?
No, I don't think a change in policy means becoming like General Ceel. Change != Bad.