PDA

View Full Version : Downloading Fonts???

Xazor Elessar
Feb 24th, 2003, 07:48:50 PM
Okay, I am posting here because I'm sooooo lost.

I downloaded a cool Elvish font thing to work on siggys with. I know I did it right, so no question there. It was a ZIP file, and so, I think I unzipped it properly. Then I don't know what to do to add it to my font file. I got into the font file and I clicked on the thing about adding a new font but it said there were none. :\ This is getting annoying, I've been battling with it for like, three days!
:( Any help (and no spam) would be greatly appreciated! :D

Xaz'
:angel

AmazonBabe
Feb 24th, 2003, 08:06:40 PM
Ok, you said you unzipped it?

Just take the font file, cut/paste it into the fonts folder in the windows folder. It should appear in whatever program you use for fonts after that.

imported_Grev Drasen
Feb 24th, 2003, 08:15:25 PM
I've noticed with Photoshop 7 whenever you place fonts in C:\Windows\Fonts sometimes they won't always show up in Photoshop immediately.

But if I goto my Control Panel and access my Fonts folder from there, then find the fonts I recently added Photoshop seems to detect them. I don't know what the hell is up with that... just something odd, but works.

If you seem to have the problem whenever you unzip?

Dunno, maybe it's just me and my weirdness.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 24th, 2003, 08:18:34 PM
Photoshop never updates it's fonts list while it's open. It's always wise to add fonts with all programs closed.

Yah, as AB says. Copy font to C: \Windows\fonts, or c: \winnt\fonts if you use Windows NT or 2000

imported_Grev Drasen
Feb 24th, 2003, 08:22:17 PM
I always restart Photoshop when adding new fonts.

But it still doesn't detect them immediately.

Xazor Elessar
Feb 25th, 2003, 02:17:24 PM
I'll try it -- but everytime I go in there, I can't put anything in that font box because it says 'search found nothing' or what have you. It is searching for fonts on my hard drive or something. :\ This is what is frustrating and confusing me. :(

Darth Turbogeek
Feb 25th, 2003, 05:04:20 PM
Huh? That's a new one. You cant even browse the Fonts directory?

Xazor Elessar
Feb 25th, 2003, 05:35:53 PM
Not to my knowledge. Maybe I'm going to the wrong place? Okay, I go into "My Computer" then I go into "Control Panel" then I go into "Fonts" then I click "start" and then I go to "Install New Font". Well, once I'm there, there is a white box and it says in grey lettering, "No Fonts Found". It lists a bunch of folders brought out of c: \ and it lists the drive it's looking on and everything. On the right hand side of the big grey box it says, "Okay, Close, or Select All". Select All is greyed over and I can't do anything, even when I go and click on a folder. When I right click on the white box, it pops up a box to click on that says, "What's This?" Pfft, that doesn't tell me anything. When I left click, it does nothing. :verymad I am soooo frustrated that I can't do anything! *grumble* :grumble

Lady Vader
Feb 25th, 2003, 05:43:01 PM
Wait... after you unzip the file, you remove it from the zipped folder thingy, right? Cause you can't just move it directly from the zipped folder to the fonts folder.

You have to cut/paste the font file out of the zipped folder, THEN copy/paste it to the fonts folder in the windows folder.

EDIT: OOooooohhhh, just saw what you posted last.

Forget about the fonts folder in the control panel.

Paste the font file MANUALLY into the fonts folder in the windows folder (you have to go into windows explorer for that).

Feliciana Devano
Feb 25th, 2003, 05:47:15 PM
Do I have to search for it or something and then find the fonts folder that way and then while it's still in the Zipped program but unzipped, I cut/paste and then copy manually to the file thing I found???? :huh Sorry, I'm just so confuzzled and it's wearing on my nerves since I've tried like, everything. :\

Lady Vader
Feb 25th, 2003, 05:51:58 PM
Tell ya what... I'm gonna get on one of my non-hidey names and AIM ya. That way I can walk ya through it. :)

So, what's yer IAM, or if you want, just PM it to my LV name. :)

Feliciana Devano
Feb 25th, 2003, 05:55:52 PM
Problem is, I don't have AIM! :( :cry

I'm sorry, I had it once but some creepy peeps bothered me and I had to get rid of it. :( Now I don't have it. :(

Ryla Relvinian
Feb 25th, 2003, 06:01:50 PM
I see. Close all programs. Right click start menu, and choose "explore"

Then go to windows -> fonts

Click and drag the file from your desktop (or wherever you unzipped it to) and it will add it.

Open your programs and it should be there.

Danya Van Derveld
Feb 25th, 2003, 06:05:01 PM
Okay, I'll give it a try Ryla. Thankies again for all of your help guys. If it still doesn't work, I'll let you know and maybe it's just me. :lol

Lady Vader
Feb 25th, 2003, 06:05:55 PM
Yeah, what Ryla said. :) I was gonna take you step by step, but hopefully that'll work.

Do you have any other forms of IMs?

Danya Van Derveld
Feb 25th, 2003, 06:13:01 PM
I have yahoo -- but that's it. :\

Lady Vader
Feb 25th, 2003, 06:17:38 PM
Well, I got's Yahoo too :)

I'll PM ya my Y! handle. :)

Xazor Elessar
Feb 25th, 2003, 06:30:21 PM
Okay! :D

Xazor Elessar
Feb 25th, 2003, 07:30:43 PM
Ooooooo! Thankies to LV, I now have the Elvish font I've been wanting for some time! :D

Blaine
Feb 25th, 2003, 07:40:19 PM
Originally posted by Feliciana Devano
Problem is, I don't have AIM! :( :cry

I'm sorry, I had it once but some creepy peeps bothered me and I had to get rid of it. :( Now I don't have it. :( There's an option on AIM where you can allow on people on your buddy list to IM you. That'd be handy so you wouldn't get IMs from weird psychos.

Lady Vader
Feb 25th, 2003, 08:07:37 PM
Yeah, that's true. You can try implimenting that. :)

And you are MOST welcome, Xaz. Glad I could help out. :)

Ryla Relvinian
Feb 25th, 2003, 10:17:26 PM
Now, if you need anything translated into Elvish, I'm over here. :D

imported_Grev Drasen
Feb 26th, 2003, 01:48:39 PM
Originally posted by Cold Blaine
There's an option on AIM where you can allow on people on your buddy list to IM you. That'd be handy so you wouldn't get IMs from weird psychos. That's what I use, truly the best feature on AIM.

Xazor Elessar
Feb 26th, 2003, 06:43:33 PM
Yeah, I know -- I just don't want to have to go through the trouble of DLing it again. :\ I have Yahoo and I'm happy. :D