PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Cash Cover Album???

imported_Terran Starek
Feb 24th, 2003, 07:47:48 PM
I don't know if I'm the only one to hear about this or not, but what is this about:

http://www.interneted.com/Reviewpages/cashjohnnyamericaniv.htm

A Johnny Cash cover album? Some of his cover choices are, not to bash the guy, hilarious! I mean, he is covering Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt"! How can anyone ignore the definite humor in that?

I submitt this to you:

Has poor 'ole Johnny gone too far?

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Feb 24th, 2003, 07:56:27 PM
The man in black can do no wrong. I'm pretty sure even he can make NIN sound good...

...it'll likely be an improvement, to be honest :)

imported_Terran Starek
Feb 24th, 2003, 08:14:50 PM
You should hear it--I find it very funny. Knowing the original rather well, it's interesting to hear Cash's rough "I'm an old cowboy" voice continue in Reznor's dark, depressing, overpoetic "I'm the goth king!" rhetoric! :lol

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 24th, 2003, 08:19:45 PM
It sounds good and very different. Good on him.

imported_Grev Drasen
Feb 24th, 2003, 08:21:04 PM
That NIN cover is genius.

If you're a Cash fan I suggest downloading it, ASAP.

Sage Hazzard
Feb 24th, 2003, 11:47:14 PM
That song rocks. :)

Go get "the Wanderer", with U2. It's on a U2 CD, but Cash sings it for them. That song is cillingly cool.

Shawn
Feb 25th, 2003, 05:19:30 AM
Yeah, I just listened to a couple of his covers. His version of "Hurt" isn't bad at all; I still like the original better, but it's definitely good. He also has an excellent cover of Depeche Mode's songs, "Personal Jesus". Seems like he's branching out some. I like it.

Taylor Millard
Feb 25th, 2003, 05:29:48 AM
Wait...are you telling me that, the copy of 'Hurt' that I have by Johnny Cash is a cover of a NIN song?

COOOOOOOOL!

I KNEW when CMT said the writer was 'Trent Reznor' that name sounded familiar. :lol

Man am I slow. :lol

Morgan Evanar
Feb 25th, 2003, 11:50:37 AM
I'm pretty sure even he can make NIN sound good...

...it'll likely be an improvement, to be honest

Back in your box.

Sanis Prent
Feb 25th, 2003, 12:01:40 PM
Nope. Sorry. Nine Inch Nails have done nothing to cause me to enjoy their "music", except for the statistical outlier that is "Closer".

Even Nirvana is more worthwhile than NIN. That's saying alot, cause I can count their songs that don't suck on a hand.

Morgan Evanar
Feb 25th, 2003, 12:09:09 PM
I didn't like NiN much either until I sat down and listened to pretty much all of thier stuff. I usually skip Mr. Self Destruct on The Downward Spiral though.

Sanis Prent
Feb 25th, 2003, 12:10:14 PM
I have a friend who's big into NIN, and has tried in vain for 5 years to get me to like them. Its abrasive noise.

imported_Terran Starek
Feb 25th, 2003, 02:05:16 PM
Personally, it takes a very specific mood for me to listen to any NIN. I like some of the music and (suprisingly for me) I like Reznor's voice.

But I find way too much humor in morbid, depressing music. It's funny to me that someone would wallow so much in their own self-pity and feel like such an outcast that they should devote their entire lives to singing and writing about it. We all feel depressed sometimes--and that is when this music really touches me. When I am hurt or in a sad/depressed mood. But to be in a state of perpetual distress and hold such contempt for life in any and all venues of experience? I'm sorry to offend all you happy-to-be-miserable goth kids out there, but I don't buy it. :D

That's just a differnet opinion, of course, and no offense is intended in its expression. :)

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 25th, 2003, 02:12:48 PM
I wouldn't say that Nine Inch Nails' are like that. Sure, they don't deal with lots of happy aspects of life, but I find that refreshing -- I'd rather not hear about the joys of love and how blue the sky is all of the time.

:mneh if you listen to a lot of the tracks they aren't really all that depressing, actually

;; big fan of NIN, duh ;;

(I wanted to write more but I'm too braindead at the minute to articulate it into anything that would be worth while reading :x)

imported_Terran Starek
Feb 25th, 2003, 06:15:18 PM
Ok, I'll give ya that. "The Perfect Drug" is a good example of a song that might deal with a darker aspect of something but isn't altogether depressing. Point: Dasquian. :)

And I don't listen to anything that I would consider overbearingly 'happy.' Pop--according to my definition--is off limits to my ears. Brittneys, N*Syncs, Matchbox 20s, and others that fit the general mold pretty much exemplify many of the things I hate. :p

I like music that has a real meaning to it--some out-of-the-box thinking. This can include multiple genres, but mostly I find my kicks in Rock. Ska, punk, hard, indie, alternative, classic--it's mostly all good in my book. :D

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Feb 25th, 2003, 06:41:07 PM
I was a fan of MB20 back in the days of them playing 5 dollar cover gigs and nobody knowing who they were. They're still alright, but I moved on.

And UGH, I hate the Perfect Drug :x. That video made me feel like he was selling something. Lame.

Shawn
Feb 25th, 2003, 08:10:15 PM
I like NIN. It's ambient, different, and can be very emotional. The tracks usually flow well together and there's very little of Reznor's stuff that I don't like. :)

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Feb 25th, 2003, 10:15:10 PM
But you're a pasty Donnie Wahlberg stunt double with an axe. You would like that crap.

Hadrian Invicta
Feb 26th, 2003, 01:12:38 AM
Supposedly the video is very good for the Cover as well. Not a huge CMT fan so I wouldn't know, but I've heard rave reviews.

Shawn
Feb 26th, 2003, 01:17:16 AM
The video is interesting, and has a completely different atmosphere than the original song provides. Kind of makes me think of post-war movies, for some reason.

Pierce Tondry
Feb 26th, 2003, 01:46:30 AM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent
Nope. Sorry. Nine Inch Nails have done nothing to cause me to enjoy their "music", except for the statistical outlier that is "Closer".

Even Nirvana is more worthwhile than NIN. That's saying alot, cause I can count their songs that don't suck on a hand.

You'll have to grow some extra fingers to do that, though. :-p

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Feb 26th, 2003, 01:51:55 AM
Lake of Fire
Heart Shaped Box

Nope.

Sage Hazzard
Feb 26th, 2003, 02:13:39 AM
Originally posted by Terran Starek
I like music that has a real meaning to it--some out-of-the-box thinking. This can include multiple genres, but mostly I find my kicks in Rock. Ska, punk, hard, indie, alternative, classic--it's mostly all good in my book. :D

Yo Terran, try ANY Remy Zero songs... except for Save Me, since that's the Smallville theme song, so it might seem like it's in-the-box if you watch that show a lot. In my mind, all their songs are really good, not mind blowing or sock you in the mouth good, but really good. I can't really put any above another, as they're all equally good. Which is why it's a joy to listen to their CDs.

Johnny Cash's voice could make almost any song sound cooler. He's the man, man.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 26th, 2003, 03:08:01 AM
Eh, I no get the love given to NIN. Overhyped and just plain blech. Not my taste at all. I'm not the Nivarna fan Helen is, but they are okay. Just totally played to death on radio :x I think I'd like the Foo Fighters more if they weren't playd to death either :x

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 26th, 2003, 03:11:26 AM
The only Nirvana song I like is Smells Like Teen Spirit. Everything else is just the same old drone from Cobain. Borrring.

Darth Turbogeek
Feb 26th, 2003, 03:12:49 AM
Smells like is soooo overplayed! Gah! Hates hearing it now! ENOUGH!

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 26th, 2003, 03:14:08 AM
Eh, you never get stuff like that played on the radio over here, so I would never hear it unless it popped up on winamp :mneh

Shawn
Feb 26th, 2003, 03:35:40 AM
OverhypedSeems overbashed, to me. Anytime NIN comes up in a discussion, it's instantly labelled as "angsty", "whiney", "gothy" or a number of other things. It pleases my ears, so I listen to it. :) Then again, I also listen to Jewel.

I never have a problem with bands being overplayed because I don't like to the radio. I loved Nirvana around '94 and I still do. No, their songs weren't all drastically different, but you can't say that about many bands, either.

Poe is probably my favorite artist. Her music is definitely unique, ambient and out-there.

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Feb 26th, 2003, 04:18:05 AM
POE?!?! :x

ARG

And I like Jewel too, strangely enough.

I don't listen to radio or watch MTV at all. As testament, I totally have no idea who the person who won the grammys is. I've never heard of her :p

Shawn
Feb 26th, 2003, 04:36:32 AM
Poe's first album and her second one are both drastically different: Do you dislike both of them?

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Feb 26th, 2003, 04:53:08 AM
Only heard her first, then tuned the bitch out.

Morgan Evanar
Feb 26th, 2003, 09:54:08 AM
I like Poe a lot. Massive Attack is probably my favorite overall music group. I love Tool, but there seems to be a MA song for any moment.

Evil Hobgoblin
Feb 26th, 2003, 11:45:39 AM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
I'm not the Nivarna fan Helen is, but they are okay. Just totally played to death on radio :x I think I'd like the Foo Fighters more if they weren't playd to death either :x

And whose fault is that? 'tis silly to put your dislike on songs becaue other people like to play them if all your lazy butt can do is turn on the radio, you noodlehead. :p

P.S. I think it's clear that Keeri has wrong opinions. Pay the big kitty no heed, everyone. :)

Morgan Evanar
Feb 26th, 2003, 11:51:15 AM
Hob is gonna deem me a heathen, but: QotSA > Foo Fighters.

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 26th, 2003, 11:56:36 AM
Have to agree with Morg.

Evil Hobgoblin
Feb 26th, 2003, 12:25:33 PM
Well, it's my opinion that you can't adequately compare the two bands, but that's just me. :)

It's also my opinion that you're both HEATHEN INFIDELS!!!!!!

Kidding. :)

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Feb 26th, 2003, 02:18:10 PM
Sorry, but a band that is famous for mumbling, 3 chord riffs, and getting killed by Courtney Love is not my opinion of good.

Evil Hobgoblin
Feb 26th, 2003, 02:30:07 PM
Bah. You're just another person with strong negative opinions, you volunteer poll candidate, you. :)

imported_Terran Starek
Feb 26th, 2003, 02:54:34 PM
Thanks for the tip, Sage. I will have to check them out. :D

Hob is in denial!!! :p Oueens of the Stone and Age and Foo Fighters are very musically sound bands, although I haven't been a huge fan of Foo's latest. I do like the line in "The One" (I think that's the name) "I love it but I hate the taste." Good line. :)

Incubus is my band! :D If you took away "Drive" and "Warning," I bet most people would barely be able to identify them. Their style is awesome, and I must say I am hooked. :p

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Feb 26th, 2003, 02:57:18 PM
Warning is awesome :) I like the video alot.

imported_Terran Starek
Feb 26th, 2003, 03:05:59 PM
Yeah, it's a great video. Creepy-looking the first time you see it.

I like that! :D

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Feb 26th, 2003, 03:35:01 PM
reminds me of the rapture, actually

Morgan Evanar
Feb 26th, 2003, 06:32:50 PM
SCIENCE >* other Incubus albums.

Its all about Certain Shade of Green.

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Feb 26th, 2003, 06:53:51 PM
I'm not that into Incubus to know/care what songs come from what albums. Couldn't even name 5 songs or a single album, honestly :)

imported_Terran Starek
Feb 28th, 2003, 12:59:15 AM
There are very few bands that I could successfully recite CD order and song list of, but Incubus is definitely one of them.

Morg, S.C.I.E.N.C.E. is their best album to date! :D