PDA

View Full Version : And the Grammy goes to...

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Feb 24th, 2003, 07:25:13 PM
Eminem for top Rap album. :D

Dixie Chics won for something...(I caught the tailend of the briefs as I was walking through the livingroom)......and Simon and Garfunkel won a Lifetime Achievement Award.

Anyone else know more?

imported_Grev Drasen
Feb 24th, 2003, 08:24:01 PM
http://grammy.aol.com/awards/winners2003.html

Eminem's performance was the best. With John Mayer coming a close second.

CMJ
Feb 24th, 2003, 08:34:09 PM
Just thought I'd mention that Norah Jones, the evening's big winner, attended UNT before she tried her luck in the biz. It's great to see her do so well. :D

Diego Van Derveld
Feb 24th, 2003, 09:00:05 PM
This is just how out of the latest music I am....when I don't even know who the night's big winner is. :|

Jinn Fizz
Feb 24th, 2003, 09:22:30 PM
I like Norah Jones...it's nice to hear someone do some old-fashioned, bluesy jazz-type music.

I was really surprised when I found out a couple of weeks ago that her father is Ravi Shankar.

CMJ
Feb 24th, 2003, 09:22:54 PM
The only reason I care is because she's am alumn of MY Alma Mater. I don't follow current music much either.

Diego Van Derveld
Feb 24th, 2003, 09:54:22 PM
Though hearing Kid Rock and Sheryl Crow's duet stuff is making me a believer again...:D

I dislike Sheryl Crow mostly, but she can do no wrong with Kid. They were made to sing together :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 24th, 2003, 11:05:37 PM
Didn't they break up?

Norah Jones is excellent! My roommate is a big fan, and we're very pleased that she swept the Grammys, although I must confess I don't know what specific ones she won.

JonathanLB
Feb 25th, 2003, 02:52:03 AM
If she went to UNT, and then quit, even to go to showbiz, that just proves the worthlessness of the college. ;)

Haha, I'm kidding. lol.

Well my friend Ben just said screw college, he's gone. Who knows if he will come back in a better frame of mind, but I wouldn't imagine he comes back any earlier than next year at the very, very least. I wouldn't be surprised if he came back in a few years... perhaps. I think he'll finish what he begun, eventually.

If I didn't care about what other people thought, I'd probably not bother with college, but I do. I want people to be like, "Heck yeah, he's a philosophy major, then he went to film school, and during all that he wrote more reviews than many professional critics. He is uber-cool." Haha, j/k. But the point is, I don't want articles about me saying, "Jonathan Bowen, a college dropout, has become a film sensation..." LOL, college dropout, such a negative term. I'll go through 7 more terms of BS just to make sure that title isn't there ;)

My dad watched the Grammies, he's so clueless about modern music. Ah well.

Saarrreeaa Meorrrei
Feb 25th, 2003, 03:11:15 AM
The only reason I care is because she's am alumn of MY Alma Mater

Alum = alumni = graduate

CMJ
Feb 25th, 2003, 02:09:30 PM
Actually no...Norah is an alumna(not an alumni). But the same holds correct, and former students(not just graduates) are considered ones. ;)

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=alumni

And I know you were kidding Jonathan, but I consider what Ms. Jones did akin to a player who goes pro after his sophmore or junior year in college. It doesn't show we're worthless by any stretch. ;)

JMK
Feb 25th, 2003, 04:28:43 PM
Norah Jones is amazing, her album is probably my favorite of the past year. Generally though, I really don't like what's happening in music these days...

Diego Van Derveld
Feb 25th, 2003, 06:38:29 PM
I've not even heard of her ^_^;

CMJ
Feb 26th, 2003, 06:24:11 PM
Eh, until about a month ago I hadn't either Diego. A friend from back home told me how great she was...that was the first toime I'd ever heard her mentioned.

Within a week I saw her name everywhere though. It was kinda wierd.

JonathanLB
Feb 26th, 2003, 08:21:45 PM
I couldn't pick out Norah in a two person crowd.

My dad couldn't tell a Grammy from a Graham cracker.

Nathanial K'cansce
Feb 26th, 2003, 08:50:50 PM
I heard Norah sing on Lettermen last night...

Nothing big.

I will admit she's hot, though.

Turcyn Rorke
Feb 26th, 2003, 09:29:05 PM
The best part is she's got that natural beauty, as opposed to the Britneys and Christinas.

Being able to sing doesn't hurt her either. ;)

Admiral Lebron
Feb 26th, 2003, 09:41:56 PM
DON'T DIS BRITTNEY

She's hot. No silicon. No nothing. Just hotness. Norah kinda looks like a sledgehammer hit the side of her face... but thats just me.

Diego Van Derveld
Feb 26th, 2003, 09:49:03 PM
Um...Britney does have silicon, you dork. And studio help or not, she's a horrible singer, and looks like trash.

Turcyn Rorke
Feb 26th, 2003, 10:01:33 PM
Originally posted by Diego Van Derveld
Um...Britney does have silicon, you dork. And studio help or not, she's a horrible singer, and looks like trash. :thumbup

Norah owns Britney, that's not even up for debate.

JonathanLB
Feb 26th, 2003, 10:11:29 PM
Britney is frickin' HOT. She is hot all over.

Christina is incredible, and if you haven't seen the Maxim spread for a few months ago, then you can't comment. Oh man she's hot.

I love that slutty look too, it's just great :)

Wholesome beauty is overrated. I get tired of the plain Jane look. I mean the too wholesome image is disturbing. It can be great, but not all of the time. I like the girls who look like Alessanda Ambrosio, that bad, naughty look like "I am going to do unspeaking things to you in the bedroom," hahaha, not that "I have no idea what you would do in a bedroom except sleep" look ;)

Diego Van Derveld
Feb 26th, 2003, 10:16:20 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot that I listen to music based on what the musician looks like :rolleyes.

These are what I call "push-button" artists. To maximize enjoyment, push the mute button.

JonathanLB
Feb 26th, 2003, 10:19:44 PM
I like my musicians to be hot. Plus I prefer listening to girls most of the time. Probably 70/30 in favor of girls over guys.

I'd rather hear a girl's voice sing, even though I think most girls are cold-hearted biaatches. Haha, j/k ;)

Sene Unty
Feb 26th, 2003, 10:21:54 PM
:lol mute button....funny.

As for Brittany...complete and utter trash music. She can't sing worth a damn. And if you want to get into looks, her eyes are spaced too far apart...makes her look like some freaky animal thing who has no talent but can act like a "slutty girl" very well.

As for Christina....ehhh. On and off again. I hate her look though. WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too trashy.

I actually like Norah Jones. She has a natural quality to her and her voice is beautiful.

JonathanLB
Feb 26th, 2003, 10:25:36 PM
I think Natalie Portman is hot, but the way she talks and the way she acts make me think she is one of those, "Ewww guys are gross" types of girls, lol.

I don't know about Norah. I will make no judgment.

Britney's music isn't bad, actually. She may not be a great singer, that's for you to decide, but the songs she gets are top quality. Of course, someone else writes them, proving how little talent Britney has of any kind (and she sucks as an actress, too), but actually I like probably 5 or 6 of her songs. They're catchy, well done, and the lyrics are not bad at all.

Sene Unty
Feb 26th, 2003, 10:27:48 PM
They are catchy because they all sound the same.

But I must agree with you on Natalie Jon, she does seem like that kinda girl.

Sejah Haversh
Feb 27th, 2003, 03:08:43 AM
Dang, John Mayer had a performance? I would ahve liked to see that. sO far I've successfully missed all four of his shows here in Seattle, and I'd like to go see him in concert.

Like Norah Jones, he doesn't hype himelf up or try to look all wonderful (in fact he's kind of homely), but his music is great. I love eaxh and every song on his CD, and his talent with lyrics, guitar, and singing is undeniable. Norah Jones is good, but, we've gotten an overdose of her in the Pacific Northwest, here. Getting reaaaaaly sick of "Don't Know Why."