PDA

View Full Version : NFL Combine Results (yes, I'm that bored)...

Figrin D'an
Feb 24th, 2003, 05:18:30 PM
I've been reading up on some of the results of the NFL scouting combine, which was this past weekend. A few players are expected to shoot up the draft boards with their performances, like USC RB Justin Fargas and Cal QB Kyle Broller. Some others performed as expected, or reestablished themselves as legit high round picks... Louisville QB Dave Ragone, Texas QB Chris Simms, Kansas St. CB Terrance Newman.

The biggest surprise has to be what was said about Miami QB Ken Dorsey. His workouts were so bad, apparently, that he may have gone from a possible 1st Round pick to... not even being drafted! Several scouts and coaches were quoted as saying, flat out, "He can't throw."

Granted, I've felt that Dorsey was not a top NFL QB prospect since last September, but I have to admit that even I'm shocked by this. Maybe he just had one of those really horrible days, and can shake it off in later personal workouts. But, it really has to make one wonder just how much the sheer talent that surrounded him at Miami elevated his game.

CMJ
Feb 24th, 2003, 05:22:32 PM
I thought Dorsey was about a 3rd rounder or so. To say he won't even be drafted is a shock!

NT has 2 prospects for later rounds. Hopefully one of them gets picked up. :)

JMK
Feb 24th, 2003, 06:38:31 PM
His workouts were so bad, apparently, that he may have gone from a possible 1st Round pick to... not even being drafted!

What?? That IS shocking!

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 24th, 2003, 10:22:19 PM
I am not too surprised, I don't think Dorsey is a good pro QB, he was a great college QB who was in a great system for him.

Jedieb
Feb 25th, 2003, 10:15:00 AM
Combines, the whole system sucks IMO. Yeah, it's a necessary evil, but how many times have we seen combine stars stink up the NFL? I bet Ryan Leaf looked better than Manning in their workouts. You can't measure game speed, both mental and physical at a damn combine. Although I'm sure some scout has devised a drill involving a 40 yard dash, some cones, and a slide rule that tries to get the job done.:smokin

Figrin D'an
Feb 25th, 2003, 03:07:50 PM
Leaf's combine workouts were substandard actually. He threw the ball fairly well, but everything else was not impressive, because he showed up out of shape. Manning had a very workman-like performance, performing about how everyone expected him to (which was quite good).

The Combine can't measure and predict everything, no. But it gives teams a standard by which to compare players, more closely examine playing styles, and interview the players to see if they would be a good fit for different organizations. I agree that there is often, too much stock put in Combine workouts. But, we also have a tendancy to remember the early round flops than we do the successes, which is why the combine/draft tends to get a bad rap.

CMJ
Feb 25th, 2003, 06:07:38 PM
It's a very inexact science, much like college recruiting. Some guys perform much better than thought, some are busts, some are about what you expect.

You won't know anything for at least a few years.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 26th, 2003, 10:07:01 PM
Just curious who does everybody think will be the #1 pick? I think Palmer would be #1 but it seems like the Bengals don't really want him, mostly because drafting him won't do them any good. Also I have a feeling that if they draft him Palmer will be a bust, because everytime the Bengals draft a QB (at least in the last 15 years) they turn them to lead. I think its mostly because they have an idiot for an owner.

Sene Unty
Feb 26th, 2003, 10:23:44 PM
The Bengals rule....they are so going all the way this year!!!!!!!!! WHOO!

But seriously I find it very dissapointing that Dorsey did bad. I like Dorsey alot....

Does anyone know anything about McGahee?

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 26th, 2003, 10:31:07 PM
McGahee won't go until the third round because he will be out until the October, he might even go later if he keeps saying he wants to be paid 1st round money which is nuts.

Sene Unty
Feb 26th, 2003, 10:31:58 PM
He shoulda stayed in Miami. Dumbass.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 26th, 2003, 10:44:17 PM
Well I guess he figured he would miss half the season, if he had stayed. What he should do is put guarentee clauses, like if he plays x games or gets x TDs he makes more money then he could get the money he wants if he makes plays.

Figrin D'an
Feb 26th, 2003, 11:07:42 PM
If the Bengals don't take Palmer with the #1 pick, it will be interesting to see whom else they target (maybe Terrance Newman, or Terrell Suggs)... I'm sure Lewis would love to trade down, but unfortunately for them, no one seems interested in the #1 pick at the moment.

IF (and this is a big IF) McGahee can come back 100% healthy, he can be an excellent running back... his biggest mistake would be trying to push his timetable up in an attempt to impress scouts and get more money...

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 26th, 2003, 11:36:21 PM
I know, no team wants the first pick probably because of how much money Palmer will get with it and plus how much it will take to get it. They might take Suggs, he is an excellent DE. Hopefully for Palmer's sake he won't be going to Cincinatti.