PDA

View Full Version : Computer Requirements (for programs)

Sage Hazzard
Feb 23rd, 2003, 03:28:16 AM
I'm in the market for a new computer. The problem is, I want lots of programs. All my computing life I've heard about great programs I could install because my computer sucked. Now it's more evident, as technology has passed me by.

I want to play neato computer games, use all those fancy web design and graphic design programs. I'd love Poser for my comic book coloring aiding, and artistry too. I want it all.

Problem is, I have no clue what most of these high quality, top of the line products require. So before I get a new computer, I need to know what to look for. Like if I should save up more money to get a better one than I thought I needed.

So could someone give me a general idea of what most programs need? A list of specs that will run most any program out there now, maybe? That'd help oodles. :)

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 23rd, 2003, 03:38:05 AM
Just about any PC that has enough memory will not break a sweat. Hell, I'm using a Celeron 566 with 256 mb memory right now and Photoshop aint hassled.

Get 512 mb if you can afford it. Memory will give you the performance. If the Duron 1.3Gz machine I usually use is any indication, it cost me 600 AUD. 256 mb, 40Gb drive, Basic all in one system and it just runs sweet. For 1000 AUD (That is 600 USD), my borther in law is getting through me a AMD Athlon 2000+, 512 mb DDR 333 memory, 60 GB drive and a Radeon 9000 video card - no software I'll add however. He is a developer with much higher end needs that you do.

What you will need is the monitor (Go 19" if you can) and memory. Go somethign like the above system and you will be cooking with gas.

BTW, get over to the Lost Jedi forums pls.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 23rd, 2003, 04:17:44 AM
Whatever you do, remember to get some sort of messaging system... :D

Taylor Millard
Feb 23rd, 2003, 04:32:50 AM
Aye I agree :)

Sage Hazzard
Feb 24th, 2003, 12:50:09 AM
Urg. I might hit my dad up about that soon. I give him some contemplation time between my rants for chatting. His current excuse for not letting me do it is that I'd be on the internet 24/7. Which is true. I don't chat now and I'm on until 3:00 AM. If I chatted... and everyone who knows me in RL I'm a chatterbox... I wouldn't get sleep. :lol But he'll cave soon. :)

Neato Marcus. The computer I have my eye on is actually better than what you mentioned I believe. 512 MB ram, 80 Gig HD, AMD Athlon 2.1 GHZ. And I'll be getting a big ol monitor too. 19 inch, 18 viewable. Best price quality trade-off they have up at the store. :) The PC costs 800 bucks, american of course(tis where I reside). I'm advertising for web design jobs locally right now. If I can get a few web sites done, I can make one a day if I'm really hauling, I'll get it soon. I just need the jobs. :)

Sage Hazzard
Feb 24th, 2003, 12:57:26 AM
P.S.: Marcus, what am I supposed to do at the Lost Jedi forum? Am I supposed to post in something? I don't see anything obvious to post in. Clearification please? PM me if you need to. :)

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 24th, 2003, 01:27:22 AM
* Look up into the secret forum you should be able to see. It's in there. *

Sage Hazzard
Feb 24th, 2003, 01:59:44 AM
Ah, okay. I didn't think to look for another forum. :lol

Morgan Evanar
Feb 24th, 2003, 06:05:25 AM
Stores suck for computers, mate. Go with a custom job from the place I linked. Proprietary hardware is crap.

Sage Hazzard
Feb 24th, 2003, 01:49:24 PM
Yeah. I'm mulling that over. Things my mail scare me though. But it seems pretty neato... Dang, I have to really think about that. It should be about a month before I get the cash, so I have time to think.

Morgan Evanar
Feb 24th, 2003, 03:54:20 PM
Its via UPS or Fed Ex. I'm in the shipping bussiness, and you can make the transaction via the phone or online.

No one in their right mind uses USPS to ship anything other than letters.