PDA

View Full Version : Anime fans...

Turcyn Rorke
Feb 22nd, 2003, 10:57:00 PM
I've been on a serious download binge lately, and my next craze is anime films. I don't know squat about anime, except that I used to be a fan of Dragonball Z, heh. Seems to be pretty popular though, so I might as well give it a try.

Any recommendations?

I'd like full-length movies, but if there is a series that's absolutely great go ahead and pitch it in.

Santhia
Feb 22nd, 2003, 11:09:52 PM
Uh, Akira. Although, it's very weird. :lol Trigun is a good series, but you should wait for SWFans.net-chan to post :D

Kaytor Surna
Feb 22nd, 2003, 11:17:36 PM
Princess Mononoke and Angel Sancutary... um neather of those if you have a weak stomach and not angel sanctuary if you get weired about homosexuality and incest. NOT that I am into those things but it is still a good anime.

Zeke
Feb 22nd, 2003, 11:19:35 PM
Mononoke? Pah! Compared to Spirited Away, Mononoke is so much crap. Spirited Away has gotta be the best movie I've seen yet in anime.

Fiend
Feb 22nd, 2003, 11:27:07 PM
uhhhh... Trigun is tops, cowboy bebop, movies? Iria, yeah! Iria kicks butt when it comes to some fun stuph anime, not the best though, plus Photon the Idiot Menace was pretty crazy, funny but confusing, :lol another would be ummmm... Fatal Fury! yeah, thats old shool stuph there and you gotta realize that some of the best movies actually are a series too, just beware the Evangelions, those go a little bit too far in depth for my simplistic comprehension of guns and explosions :lol

TheHolo.Net
Feb 22nd, 2003, 11:51:24 PM
Mononke and Spirited Away are both good starter Anime films. (by the same director even ;))

Akira is more of an old cult classic, but is stil a good one though starting with it can be strange.

As far as series go, I'll also chime in with Trigun and Cowboy Beebop in that veiwing order.

Sigil Roland
Feb 23rd, 2003, 12:18:23 AM
What about Ninja Scroll?

You can't go wrong with a Ninja!!!

Dae Jinn
Feb 23rd, 2003, 12:23:20 AM
Dominin(sp) Tank Police. They used to play those movies and Ninja Scroll on the cartoon channel here all the time :lol

Sejah Haversh
Feb 23rd, 2003, 01:49:07 AM
The movie Grave of the Fireflies, and the Cowboy Bebop series and the Outlaw Star series are the only good newer anime I've seen.

I loathe most anime with a passion. Voltron is okay, though, because it's Old Skool, and I'm an old fool.

Zakatiel Rhinehart
Feb 23rd, 2003, 02:47:11 AM
Old School Transformers!!!

Best part of that series, having new Bots show up with no reason.

In one Episode, No Constructacons... Next, BOOM!!! Where did they Come from??? I don't know!!!

Personally, I like Hellsing, but being a noob on the Anime Scene, can anyone tell me other series like it?

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Feb 23rd, 2003, 02:47:43 AM
depends on what you like, for comedy, I would say Ranma 1/2, Sorcerer hunters, Excel Saga and Those who Hunt Elves...um, action, Iria, Outlaw Star, Inuyasha....more gore and seriousness, try NGE or Hellsing....

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 23rd, 2003, 03:28:25 AM
Turcyn Rorke, I'm in love with Colin Farrell. YOU GIVE HIM BACK TO ME YOU HEAR?!

;)

*huggles his avatar when he isn't looking* ^_^;

Dae Jinn
Feb 23rd, 2003, 09:51:03 AM
LD!!! :lol

Sorcerer Hunters is funny, but the manga is better ^_^; I hate Outlaw Star, the animation reminds me of Pokemon :x

Miryan no Trunks
Feb 23rd, 2003, 08:00:52 PM
Ranma 1/2, Love Hina, Ghost in the Shell, Golden Boy (Adult but funny as hell), Macross/Macross Plus/Macross 7 (in that order if you want to go chronologically, if I remember correctly. Also Macross 0, but I haven't seen any of it yet =/ ) Ah my goddess!, Evangelion, Trigun, and Cowboy Bebop (of course) Serial Experiments Lain, One Piece, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Akira (of course) Wings of Honneamise (slow but excellent) Digi Charat (f***ed up and great) Patlabor, I"s (manga only, but if you can find it it's got the most incredible art and story) Area 88 (anyone ever play U.N. Squadron for snes?) Appleseed, Bubblegum Crisis, Please save my Earth...

Bunch more, but I don't feel like typing them all up. These are the ones I'd say you're most likely to find =)

Soraya Taveres
Feb 24th, 2003, 12:12:02 AM
Anything from CLAMP.

Sene Unty
Feb 24th, 2003, 09:07:02 AM
Akira rules all!

Xander Caine
Feb 24th, 2003, 10:49:29 AM
The 2 Vampire Hunter D movies are good. Devil man is pretty good if you like the whole Demons riping each other to tiny peaces thing. Akira (which is good but not as good as everyone says). Cowboy Bebop, Lain, Lensman (think thats how you spell it) was good, X was okay, from what I've seen of Slayers its pretty good, Gundam wing....the list goes on

Sanis Prent
Feb 24th, 2003, 11:06:44 AM
DBZ, Outlaw Star, Ninja Scroll, VHD, Cowboy Bebop, and thats about it. Generally, I hate most anime.

imported_Taja Loraan
Feb 24th, 2003, 11:15:52 AM
Devil Man is funneh.

Zasz Grimm
Feb 24th, 2003, 12:21:23 PM
Weiß Kreuz !!!!

Also spelled Weiss Kreuz.

Those Who Hunt Elves is pretty good (Humor...and random stripping of elf chicks.)

Dae Jinn
Feb 24th, 2003, 12:25:01 PM
Vampire Hunter D was good :)

Zeke
Feb 24th, 2003, 12:26:24 PM
Photon: The Idiot Menace. That one was absolutely hilarious. GTO wasn't bad either.

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Feb 24th, 2003, 02:08:24 PM
GTO is hilarious!

Wei Wu Wei
Feb 24th, 2003, 03:36:30 PM
Let me see. I liked Irresponsible Captain Tylor. the man joins the military during a time of tense relations with another country because he thinks it's the "easy life" and through a gigantic chain of screw-ups, he becomes the captain of the most crappy space ship the fleet and he never loses. Tylor is possibly the funniest anime I have ever seen.

Fiend
Feb 24th, 2003, 04:38:26 PM
beware DBZ, it gets old, n one dies, they keep coming back, they might die but not really, they just come back for a wee bit with a halo and then leave, and then come back, and then leave, and then come bak, the whole time, going from black hair nd black eyes to Hitler's super race with blond hair and blue eyes, not to mention the Nazis show up in one of the movies, conspiracy?

But I do have tosay Those who hunt elves is classic and GTO is way up there on the list of places to go and things to see, plus, for those looking for newer stuph, Raxephon and Gundam: Seed is the stuph

Sanis Prent
Feb 24th, 2003, 05:19:51 PM
DBZ is better than 99% of the horrid tripe from Japan. At least its goofy, and knows it, and doesn't take itself seriously, which can't be said for the likes of Gundam, Akira, blah-dee-freakin-blah, etc.

Fiend
Feb 24th, 2003, 05:25:47 PM
too true, it is, but it got old as it went on, there is a lot of crap out there, its the ability to see through the cap for what we can appreciate, DBZ has ome of the coolest developed characters and villians, but some shoulda died some time ago

Sanis Prent
Feb 24th, 2003, 05:28:18 PM
Nah. Its got its niche. Its animated pro wrestling :)

Fiend
Feb 24th, 2003, 05:36:50 PM
wow, good conclusion

Wei Wu Wei
Feb 24th, 2003, 07:59:42 PM
DBZ started out like this:

Save Earth from the Evil Alien Real Estate Agents.

That's what they did. Then they killed the man in charge of the Real Estate company.

Xander Caine
Feb 24th, 2003, 11:12:05 PM
lol..sad but pretty much true

Miryan no Trunks
Feb 25th, 2003, 04:11:02 AM
Yep, and from there on out, the story remained consistant.

"OMG, he's the most powerful guy Ever!"

"OMG!"

"Oh I'm stronger now, Kaboom!"

"Yay, let's have a BBQ!"

"Hey, who's he?"

"OMG!"

"Yay, let's have a BBQ!"

"Hey, who's he?"

And then we went to DBGT, where the earth got really dead, Gokou got small, and the story went like this:

"OMG!"

"Yay, let's have a BBQ!"

"Hey, who's he?"

"OMG!"

"Yay, let's have a BBQ!"

"Hey, who's he?"

Until Gokou was a demi-god and everything was happy. The end.

Now let's have a BBQ.

Sean Piett
Feb 25th, 2003, 08:44:51 AM
Neon Genesis Evangelion and Bebop are my favorites, but Escaflowne is awesome and I enjoy Trigun, Outlaw Star, and a few others.

Sigil Roland
Feb 25th, 2003, 03:41:44 PM
Originally posted by Miryan no Trunks
Yep, and from there on out, the story remained consistant.

"OMG!"

"Yay, let's have a BBQ!"

"Hey, who's he?"

"OMG!"

"Yay, let's have a BBQ!"

"Hey, who's he?"

And then we went to DBGT, where the earth got really dead, Gokou got small, and the story went like this:

"OMG!"

"Yay, let's have a BBQ!"

"Hey, who's he?"

"OMG!"

"Yay, let's have a BBQ!"

"Hey, who's he?"

Until Gokou was a demi-god and everything was happy. The end.

Now let's have a BBQ.

You forgot the part about getting the 7 balls and making the world safe for BBQ's, and bringing everyone back to life...

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Feb 25th, 2003, 04:04:08 PM
:lol

Fiend
Feb 27th, 2003, 05:14:59 PM
dude, and no one can shoot down Speed Racer, did yu know the guy who did almost every male voice in Speed racer in America did Astroboy and Gigantor, and now he's the genius behind Courage the Cowardly Dog Show and several other hit cartoons now

Miryan no Trunks
Feb 28th, 2003, 01:42:38 AM
You forgot the part about getting the 7 balls and making the world safe for BBQ's, and bringing everyone back to life...

Pfft, like those factors were anything more than byproducts of the kabooms and omg's =P

Wei Wu Wei
Feb 28th, 2003, 08:29:37 AM
Dragonballs? You mean, some poor dragon....

You finish the sentence :)

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 28th, 2003, 08:34:34 AM
Originally posted by Miryan no Trunks
Pfft, like those factors were anything more than byproducts of the kabooms and omg's =P

LMAO. you so funny MnT ^_^

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Feb 28th, 2003, 01:56:02 PM
:lol

Pearl Topaz
Feb 28th, 2003, 02:35:12 PM
El Hazard.

Just cos it looks f-ed up.

Or you should watch.............

Sailor and the Seven Balls.

:mischief

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Feb 28th, 2003, 02:41:18 PM
El Hazard is kinda cool but a bit slow....Shayla Shayla was cool though.....

Morgan Evanar
Feb 28th, 2003, 02:51:35 PM
Macross Zero. Now.

Pearl Topaz
Feb 28th, 2003, 02:53:32 PM
I never understood Macross............

*shakes fist at Teletoon*

And I repeat:

SAILOR AND THE SEVEN BALLS.

Zeke
Feb 28th, 2003, 03:14:15 PM
Avoid Evangelion. Evangelion is what you would get if you got a bunch of Christians high and showed them giant robot cartoons. It makes no sense at all, with so many lame biblical references and cross shaped explosions it's not even funny.