PDA

View Full Version : In the Training Room (open, needs training, Knight or Master only please)

James Prent
Feb 21st, 2003, 09:14:40 PM
James Prent was between sessions with Salemn Lysce, lightsaberless, and brimming over with energy. She'd spent the last three hours meditating by a tree, seeking oneness with the Force, and was ridiculously energized by the experience. There was something about tapping into the Force that filled her with ...well she didn't know what it was.

Energy!

Needless to say, she was looking for a way to burn it off. She had stripped out of her padawan robes and was in a jogging suit, ready for a run through the corridors. She'd already had her daily run this morning, when the hallways were empty. This afternoon the corridors had some people in them, and it would be a challenge to avoid running into people.

Think of it this way: It's good practice of pre-cognition for all of us. James grinned, and started off, following her usual path through the training floors. At a mere five foot tall, she barely came up to most people's shoulders, but she'd learned not to think of her height as a disadvantage, but an advantage. Besides, she'd never have to worry about dating a guy shorter than she was, unless he was an Ugnaught.

James made a face at that thought, and started as someone stopped to tie their shoe in front of her. She exhaled, and pushed off with her feet, vaulting over the kneeling person and continuing on her way. Heh...never done that before. Supposedly the Force would enhance the body's natural reflexes...creating larger jumps, and quicker running speeds. As she continued to run, the relaxed lope of a long distance runner, James tried closing her eyes, trying to use her excercise to focus her thoughts and to touch the Force that way.

Sage Hazzard
Feb 22nd, 2003, 02:52:33 AM
Sage however was revving down the hall in top speed. Not Force Speed but considerable speed. Sprinting. Sage however could sprint faster than even most professional racers.

His thoughts were elsewhere, not on the here and now like it should have been, rather on the past. His folly would prove dissasterous as he ran into a female running with her eyes closed. He fell over her, running faster and being of considerably more weight, and came to a sliding halt. She however, hit the deck rather hard, as he had run "through" her it would seem.

The Jedi Master attempted to regain composure and did so with some effort. He came to his feet, through help of a balancing hand and a few attempts to walk straight.

"Oh, man. Are you alright miss?"

James Prent
Feb 22nd, 2003, 03:10:46 AM
She felt a twinge in her surroundings, but before she could figure out what it was, she was faceplanting into the floor. James threw her hands in front of her face as she was slammed into the ground, rolling a little as she finally came to a halt against the wall. "Fr-!" She bit off a curse and instead clenched her teeth and turned red in the face until she discovered which direction was up.

A face loomed over her, and she blinked, focusing on the dark hair and blue eyes. "Are you alright miss?"

James put a hand to her head and the other on the wall as she pulled herself to her feet. "Yeah, but holy hells, didn't you see me?" She lifted her shirt at her side, inspecting where he had hit her for a bruise. There wasn't one apparent. The girl brushed her hair out of her eyes and stuck out her hand. "M'name's James. I was just ...well I didn't see you because I was trying to be in tune with the Force."

She laughed nervously. "Obviously I'm not so good at it yet."

Sage Hazzard
Feb 23rd, 2003, 02:35:24 AM
"As am I apparently. I'm sorry ma'am.... I was elsewhere in my mind when I should have been here."

Sage rubbed his scalp in embaressment.

"Um... Sage Hazzard," he outstreched his hand. "I hope you don't lose respect for Jedi Masters now. Not all of them are as clumsy."

James Prent
Feb 23rd, 2003, 03:57:17 AM
She shook his hand, and shrugged, the comment about him being a Jedi Master not sinking in completely. He was too young, anyway. Isn't he too young? James opened her mouth to reply to him, and found she had nothing to say.

She closed her mouth again, and withdrew her hand from his grasp, and put it in the pocket in the front of her zip-up sweatshirt. "Clumsy? Please, you weren't the one who hit the floor." James winked to show that she had no hard feelings. "I usually run the corridors before anyone gets up in the morning...less traffic that way, y'know?" She gestured at the suddenly crowded hallway, as padawans and knights began to disperse for dinner.

"Anyway, I've just got too much energy right now. Couldn't sit down if I tried." She jogged a second or two in place, and stretched out muscles that were sore from the fall.

Sage Hazzard
Feb 24th, 2003, 01:23:19 AM
Sage nodded.

"We have treadmills I believe. They might be more accomadating. Though I prefer the feeling of movement over running in place."

The Jedi Master chuckled, noticing that she indeed did have an abundance of energy. Running in place and all.

"Uh, before you run off, I didn't catch your name..."

James Prent
Feb 24th, 2003, 01:32:55 AM
She grinned, even though she'd already told him her name. "James. Like the guys name. 'Cept for I'm a girl."

James settled herself down for a moment, and was struck with a moment of boldness. "Do you do much here? I mean, in the academy."

Sage Hazzard
Feb 24th, 2003, 02:05:21 AM
Sage was fishing for a last name, but didn't get it. He was also thinking for a split second she was playing a joke on him. The names James is an odd name for a female, even in the equal sex generations.

Sage chuckled at her question.

"Indeed I do. I train my Padawans and work out in my spare time, which isn't that often. I also teach some classes sometimes, on basic Force manipulatuon, sabre dueling, hand-to-hand, et cetera. I pretty much live here when I'm not out doing Jedi things," he ended in another chuckle.

James Prent
Feb 25th, 2003, 02:57:40 AM
"You teach saber dueling?" She couldn't help the interest in her voice as she looked up into his blue eyes. "To tell the truth, I'm terrified to learn. It...I mean...I..." James' voice trailed off. "Well, I'm just so small. I couldn't imagine fighting anyone."

Sage Hazzard
Feb 25th, 2003, 03:14:54 AM
Sage was tempted to remind her of the great Masters Yoda and Yoghurt. He refrained from doing so as he worried she wouldn't take it as the compliment he intended it to be.

"Size can be an advantage, weither big or small. If you use the proper technuiqes that are needed for your size, in hand-to-hand and sabre dueling, then you can in fact use an opponent's size against him or her no matter what the situation. It's all a matter of leverage and distrubution of weight and balance. Even a woman of your height... 5 foot 2, can flip a 300 pound giant with the proper methods."

James Prent
Feb 25th, 2003, 03:42:07 AM
"But I'm only five foot tall." She looked sad, and then winked at Sage. "Hey, but tell me more about flipping 300 lb giants. I've bounced a few drunks out of my old diner, but they were sleepy drunks, not mean ones." James chewed her bottom lip thoughtfully.

Sage Hazzard
Feb 26th, 2003, 12:45:24 AM
"Well it's quite simple on the one hand and quite complex on the other. Doing it is fairly easy, while understanding why it works and therefor applying it to anything on the fly, can take time to master."

Sage points to a young Padawan. He's a fairly hefty man, clearly comfortable with his weight enough to know how to use it.

"You, sir, could you aid in a demonstration for an old Master like me?"

The words, Master, made the Padawan silence any thoughts he had about denying. Sage knew this. He needed a volunteer. No harm in appealing to a Padawan's suck-up intinct. The fact James was lovely to look at didn't hurt matters.

The Padawan stepped forward.

"Wait right there."

The Padawan stopped, squinting his eyes in confusion,

"Obsearve James," Sage turned his attention to the perticipant. "Come at me. Try to punch my face."

The Padawan shook his head, chuckling and waving his hands.

"Come on now, you won't hurt me. Try hard now. You've got a witness here in case I say you assaulted me later, right?" Sage nodded towards James.

The Padawan nodded hesitantly. Sage positioned himself so that his back and front faced open space, and away from James. The Padawan faced him directly from the front.

The man charged at Sage, though it was clear he was restraining himself, and punched at the Master's head. Sage ducked down and turned his body. He grabbed the hand as it came and slid his grasp down to the wrist and forearm, grasping each with a different hand. He let the Padawan continue forward, actually pulling his arm towards where his momentum was taking him. He hunched his back over more, putting his weight into it. The man flew over Sage's shoulders and flipped over, slamming into the ground. Lucky for the man, Sage grabbed the shirt of him with a free hand and stopped his head from banging onto the ground.

"See?"

Sage looked down on the dazed Padawan, who's ego was deflated in front of the woman he secretly wished to impress.

"You may go," Sage said, turning his attention back to James.

The Padawan did so, slowly and compensating for his bruised tailbone.

"You must never stop an attacker's motion, with you're size. You should instead aid him in moving as he wishes. Using his own momentum and his own strength, coupled with your guidance of both, you can do many things to an aggresser."

James Prent
Feb 28th, 2003, 11:39:41 PM
James shrugged apologetically at the young Padawan, and then turned back to the Master. He had called himself "old" but he only looked a little bit older than she was. "I'm afraid that I have no idea how to do what you just did."

She narrowed her eyes, and moved her hands, trying to copy what she'd seen Sage do by flipping an imaginagry foe over. James shuffled her feet as she did so, and laughed. "Yeah, I think I'm doing something wrong."

Sage Hazzard
Mar 1st, 2003, 12:01:41 AM
"Perhaps you're thinking too much?"

Sage motioned for another Padawan to come over. They were flooding the halls now. Busy hours in the training rooms. One came over that regonised the Master's seniority. He was a he, but a much lighter he.

"Okay, now, slow motion... Padawan, attack this lady in 1 tenth you're speed. Punching to the face will be sufficient for the moment. James, try to emulate what I did, slowly, in a walk through, dry run fashion. I'll talk you through it if you falter."

James Prent
Mar 1st, 2003, 12:35:44 AM
James' cheeks colored as the hallway began to fill with padwans and knights moving from room to room. A small circle clogged the passage around her and Master Hazzard as another padawan came over in response to Sage's call.

The young man towered at least eleven inches over James, and she frowned, creasing her forehead as she concentrated. He shrugged, and came at her. She grabbed his fist, and pulled him awkwardly towards her . . .

. . . and leaned to the side, and twisted his arm up against his back as he flew past her . . .

James jerked, the Padawan looking at her as she stood there holding onto his wrist and forearm. She hadn't twisted anything and no one was flying past her. She took a deep breath and tried to clear her head of the momentary vision as she smoothly exectuted the move.

Sage Hazzard
Mar 1st, 2003, 12:55:36 AM
"Talk me through why you do the movements you do. Tell me why it's best to place your foot there, hand there, head there. Verbally remind yourself why you do these things and I shall correct them if your thought process is wrong. Start again."

OOC - When you end it saying "as she smoothly executed the move". Are you saying you finished it, smoothly? Or you went back to finishing it? Either way I guess my post works. :)

James Prent
Mar 1st, 2003, 01:17:56 AM
ooc: I mean she went back to completing it after hesitating right at the beginning, and finished it off. :)/ic:

James looked at the interested crowd which had gathered around them, and then back to Sage. "I pull him towards me to keep his momentum going...and then I ...?" She hesitated, and looked at Sage, coloring up slightly. "I'm not sure. Do I bend down and use my shoulder as a pivot point for him to flip over?"

Sage Hazzard
Mar 1st, 2003, 01:58:36 AM
"You flip him over your shoulder, yes. Prefably the strongest shoulder, as that is the guiding arm. Bend your back ask you pull, in a fluid motion. Do not bend over before pulling and try not to unequally balance the pull bend relation. You want to put your weight into it and also allow to change his momentum into going down. As he comes close to your back, from the pulling, he will go over it. Once he makes comes close to your back, put all your strength into the pull and bend. You must do this or else he will slam into you. You want to put your weak foot forward, the strong one back. This is to aid in the lean and smooth line. Otherwise it will be jerky and unfluid, which is important to this move. You want to aid him in his own demise. He is doing the work, not you. He is undoing himself..."

Sage paused.

"In fact, go quickly young man. The speed and the realism will lend to the accomplishment of the counter. Otherwise it's all theory."

James Prent
Mar 6th, 2003, 01:31:10 AM
James tried the move again, and somehow ended up flat on her back while the other padawan leaned over her apologetically. "Ok what did I do wrong that time? Wait, don't tell me. I think what is was is that I didn't bend down in time."

She sat up and glared at someone passing by who was chuckling at her misfortune, and then smiled at Sage. "This is harder than it looks you know. Its not easy being this bad."

Sage Hazzard
Mar 6th, 2003, 02:04:16 AM
"Well, perhaps we can come back to this? There are other moves. Though expertise only comes through practice."

James Prent
Mar 7th, 2003, 05:22:10 PM
She got to her feet, and stretched a little. "I think I might be able to get the hang of it with enough practice. It's something to work on, at least. Maybe then I won't have to spend my excess energy running through the halls and into wayward Jedi Masters." James winked at him, and straightened her jogging suit.

Sage Hazzard
Mar 8th, 2003, 12:22:18 AM
Sage smiled.

"Indeed."

James Prent
Mar 11th, 2003, 11:19:39 AM
"Thanks, Master Hazzard." James sketched out a small bow, and took her leave, racing off down the hall again.

Sage Hazzard
Mar 11th, 2003, 11:11:44 PM
"Was my pleasure..." He still didn't know her last name. "James."

He bowed in kind, then turned to the padawans around him.

"Well, then, see you around gentlemen. Sorry that the pretty girl left before you could have your turn," he winked at them, as he could tell many were waiting to play the attacker role. "May the Force Be With You."

He went back to his running, in the opposite direction than James'.