PDA

View Full Version : Rhode Island Night Club fire

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 21st, 2003, 02:04:58 PM
That was awful, it occured last night during a concert at a nightclub, the band did some type of fireworks (they say they have permission from the club) well the flames hit some kind of foam that wasn't flame resistant and the celling burst into flames, well everybody rushed to get out but it burned so fast that not everybody got out. So far there are 85 dead and 164 wounded but the number of dead could rise it is an awful tragedy, if the place had sprinklers this never would have happened.

Sene Unty
Feb 21st, 2003, 02:27:54 PM
Yeah I heard about this earlier today...how tragic....

Why do these things always happen in cycles? Two nightclub instances in 4 days is really rather insane when you think about it...

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 21st, 2003, 02:34:37 PM
Yeah and a few days ago we had that nut that set fire to a subway in S. Korea and today we had a big explosion (accidental) off New Jersey coast with some Oil refineres.

Figrin D'an
Feb 21st, 2003, 02:53:42 PM
Big fire at a recycling center outside of San Diego going on right now as well...

I'm sure there is plenty of blame to go around for the night club fire... the band (Great White) claims they would never use pyrotechnics without clearance from the club... the club owners say they never gave permission for pyrotechnics to be used. Somebody is not telling the complete truth, and a jury will likely have to sort it out. The lead guitarist from Great White is among the people still missing...

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 21st, 2003, 03:22:29 PM
a popular local Deejay is missing too. Now the band leader said his manager told him that so there could have been some miscommunication. Still, if they told them not to do it then why did they let them set it up. And I am sure they saw them they didn't even yell at them to turn them off or come out there to put it out.

Jinn Fizz
Feb 21st, 2003, 03:43:50 PM
All I know is, I need to quit watching the news. Nothing but tragedy and sorrow. It's really starting to bring me down. :(

Sanis Prent
Feb 21st, 2003, 04:32:24 PM
Just inject some happiness into your life elsewhere. Watching the news keeps your mind sharp and focused, and keeps you in touch with relevant issues in the world.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 21st, 2003, 07:48:05 PM
Just don't watch it all the time, I only watch it a couple of times a day, most of the time I get my news from the net or a newspaper.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 21st, 2003, 07:48:38 PM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent
Just inject some happiness into your life elsewhere. Watching the news keeps your mind sharp and focused, and keeps you in touch with relevant issues in the world.

Or keeps you enshrouded in fear. No thanks. I'll rather be uninformed and happy, rather than informed a misreble, fearful cuss.

Sanis Prent
Feb 21st, 2003, 08:26:32 PM
Ignorance is bliss.

Seem to have some merit there, I guess.

I dunno. I'd like to consider myself a pretty happy guy. Sure I'm combative and I love to get in the mix and argue, but I haven't bought into the "doom & gloom" that some equally well-informed people may spread. Maybe its due to the way I was raised. Maybe due to religion, or maybe there's something else at work, but I just can't let the bad things out there keep me down for long. Life is beautiful, despite the occasional blemish.

James Prent
Feb 21st, 2003, 08:46:11 PM
If you're informed, you can make a difference. If you are ignorant, you dissolve into apathy.

Ignorance may be bliss, but it can also be negligence.

Jinn Fizz
Feb 22nd, 2003, 08:53:01 AM
Reading the newspaper or checking out the news online is okay, I like to be informed and know what's going on in the world.

What I need to stay away from is watching the news, because watching it, seeing video footage and hearing people talk, is so immediate and, in a lot of cases, so emotional. With reading the news, there's a sense of detachment...you don't feel like you're caught up right in the middle of things. You can remain somewhat objective, still be informed and get the facts, without becoming emotionally entangled in the story. I don't mean that people should become emotionless automatons or anything like that, but so many of the stories in the news lately have been so emotionally overwhelming, there's only so many witness accounts and videos I can see before I end up feeling downright depressed.

I hope that makes some kind of sense. :)

I also wish that CNN and Fox News would realize that they don't have to show videotape of events as they happen over and over and over ad nauseum. Both with the Columbia and Rhode Island tragedies, both channels were very fond of staying in split screen mode and showing the videos over and over on one side while interviews were going on on the other side. I must have seen the video of Columbia disintegrating hundreds of times that awful day 3 weeks ago. Once was enough, thank you very much. :(

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 22nd, 2003, 12:38:31 PM
I know it gets sickning to keep hearing and seeing it over and over, and I agree that is why right now I don't watch it when one of these stories hit, I keep to the Newspaper and Intenet that way I can avoid to be consantly showed it.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 22nd, 2003, 01:00:23 PM
9-11 was just as bad if not worse...I must have seen that second plane hit the Trade Center a hundred times that day. :(