PDA

View Full Version : Staff changes

Shawn
Feb 20th, 2003, 09:56:22 PM
I think it's time we need to clean up the staff around here some. I, for one, am not around much. I think we need a second admin to help out Ogre. I'm open to suggestions, but I'm drawing a blank. We need someone who's not only even-handed, but fairly knowledgable with HTML and such.

Secondly, I think we need to move around / trim some of the moderator positiions. Possibly get a new mod, if needed. I have a few ideas for changing the forums some people are moderators of, but I want to talk those over with the people individually.

If you would like to be moved to a different forum, have a forum added to your moderation list, or have a suggestion for someone else who should be promoted/demoted, let me know.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 20th, 2003, 10:22:17 PM
I can't think of who to nominate for admin, Shawn, I know its not me, my programming skills aren't that good. The only two with good computer skills I can think worthy are JMK and LD. I will give it some more thought.

TheHolo.Net
Feb 20th, 2003, 10:24:55 PM
I'm going to put some thought into this for a little while and post again afterwards.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 21st, 2003, 02:44:39 AM
I would just like to add to JMC's comment that I know nothing about HTML other than what I use to display a sig and format my posts.

Thank you.

(I'll think about this, but if you guys'll have me, I'd just like to stay where I am, as far as mod powers.)

Sanis Prent
Feb 21st, 2003, 03:30:42 AM
If Eve were around more...she'd be perfect for the job. Not that she'd want it.

Morgan would be great, but he'd likely laugh and refuse it.

The issue isn't somebody who's upstanding. Its finding somebody who's got the techiness to fill the role.

Fett, maybe?

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 21st, 2003, 03:32:37 AM
Hey I'm upstanding!

(psst, Ogre can you tell me how to do this...? PUHLEEEEZE? )

;)

JMK
Feb 21st, 2003, 09:09:08 AM
I know basic HTML and dreamweaver. That is all. But I don't know either very well.

Taylor Millard
Feb 21st, 2003, 02:36:57 PM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent
If Eve were around more...she'd be perfect for the job. Not that she'd want it.

Morgan would be great, but he'd likely laugh and refuse it.

I think those two would be perfect for the role as Admin. The problem is would they accept it?

ReaperFett
Feb 21st, 2003, 03:58:40 PM
No offense to Morg, but I dont think someone whos first input into a thread is to call someone a retard is good Mod or Admin material.

Sanis Prent
Feb 21st, 2003, 06:13:53 PM
Perhaps, but his frankness is very effective at getting to the heart of a matter and getting problems fixed. He doesn't have much tact, but he does get things done.

ReaperFett
Feb 21st, 2003, 06:15:32 PM
And it goes against the forum rules. And I dont see how coming into a thread without problems and insulting is classed as fixing.

Sanis Prent
Feb 21st, 2003, 07:11:05 PM
He has enough word choice capability to where he can avoid a flame if it suits him. Honestly, I'd be a bit more in favor of a stray bolt of lightning here and there than a big slogging runaround.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 21st, 2003, 09:58:27 PM
Btw, maybe I'm retarded, but I thought Shawn was the other admin...

CMJ
Feb 22nd, 2003, 10:52:44 AM
Well since Kyle turned it down I'm guessing it's gonna have to be a RP poster. I think most(if not all) of the Boxoffice, films people are computer "idiots".

[Said in a loving way because I very much include myself in that group]

TheHolo.Net
Feb 22nd, 2003, 12:25:20 PM
A message from Yog to go along with these considerations:
It is my observation, that I have not been able to monitor the roleplay forums as much as can expected from a moderator, therefore, I would suggest someone more active is nominated for this positionContinues thinking this all over

ReaperFett
Feb 22nd, 2003, 12:27:04 PM
In previous Mod votes, who did well?

TheHolo.Net
Feb 22nd, 2003, 12:29:16 PM
Here are the vote results from our last outing:
Lord Gue - 2
Marcus Q'Dunn - 3
Lady Vader - 6
Darth Snack - 7
Vega Van Derveld - 9
s'Ilancy - 10
Taylor Millard - 21
Lilaena De'Ville - 31

ReaperFett
Feb 22nd, 2003, 01:37:49 PM
Gue eh? ;)

Vega would be a good choice, IMO.

Taylor Millard
Feb 22nd, 2003, 05:44:14 PM
What about Fig? Did he turn down his last nomination?

TheHolo.Net
Feb 22nd, 2003, 05:53:26 PM
Yeah, he did.

At this point as far as another administrator goes; I don't think having another is a bad idea, but I am having difficulty coming up with anyone who is both technically and morally qualified for it. I would like to make it clear though that no matter if another administrator is decided upon or not, Shawn will remain as an administrator here regardless of his activity level. He understands the vB options and is an even handed administrator and has the trust required. Activity level means little to me there. Its the trust factor and technical and moral qualifications that matter. He has definitely proven he possess those. Its not like I am swamped up to my ears in admin duties either.

As far as a replacement mod for the RP category goes, I think we should probably hold another vote here fairly soon, with nominees and such like we did before.

I too think Vega, Figrin, or even LV would be good choices, but would prefer to see the RP community members make the decision themselves, as it has been standard for a while now. But I do see Vega as the best qualified really: She keeps up really well with current events, is active in RP and OOC, and has a posting schedule that differs from the majority of other mods due to her location.

JMK
Feb 22nd, 2003, 05:56:06 PM
Well since Kyle turned it down I'm guessing it's gonna have to be a RP poster. I think most(if not all) of the Boxoffice, films people are computer "idiots".
Well I didn't 100% turn it down, but I'm just not sure how much HTML knowledge is needed. :P

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 22nd, 2003, 06:23:06 PM
Hey i'm more than willing to learn how to be an admin, in fact I'd love it, because maybe it'll help me get a better knowledge of computers, and I'll just have to go to the Technical School of Ogre. ;)

Navaria Tarkin
Feb 23rd, 2003, 02:08:18 PM
Well, whoever can be the HTML king or queen should be the admin ... Me .. no way in hell :p

When it does come time for the peeps to vote for the admin, list the required qualifications for it. It's not like being a mod

Sanis Prent
Feb 23rd, 2003, 10:42:47 PM
My HTML knowledge is limited, and I don't have near enough time to sufficiently learn

JMK
Feb 23rd, 2003, 10:57:30 PM
Exactly what level of HTML knowledge is needed here?

Shawn
Feb 25th, 2003, 05:09:07 AM
Well, not a huge deal. Enough where you can at least help diagnose a problem someone is having, and maybe offer possible solutions. I've not made a single one of these stylesets here because it's a great deal of effort, in my opinion. :)

Yog is one of those mods I think should be replaced. Another change I talked over with Fett was maybe assigning him to a BO-only mod. Since his involvement with RP is minimal (that I know of), I think it would be more appropriate.

I'm not so sure we should stick to the voting system for new mods. To be honest, the very fact that Gue got 2 votes the last time we did it shows that it's just people voting for their friends or people they like. I think we should pick out several possible canidates, then talk to them and see if they'd accept the position. Just a suggestion, though... nothing set in stone.

Being even-handed doesn't necessarily mean that you're always kind to everyone, by the way. You have to be able to enforce a rule without exceptions. In the past, I've had to contact friends and tell them that I'm moving / deleting their thread because I don't think it's appropriate. And you can't be afraid to take a stance and stick to it. That's probably the hardest part of the job.
Btw, maybe I'm retarded, but I thought Shawn was the other admin...I'm confused as to how you're confused... o_O I started the thread.

ReaperFett
Feb 25th, 2003, 08:15:54 AM
Since his involvement with RP is minimal (that I know of)
Kam, Oddball and the greatest Jedi in the woooooooorld :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 25th, 2003, 10:56:23 PM
It was a tongue in cheek comment, Shawn. I know you're the other admin. So, then we need a third admin, not a second one. :)

Shawn
Feb 25th, 2003, 11:07:04 PM
Also, I'd like to respond to one more thing: I've seen quite a few suggestions for Morgan. I wouldn't be opposed to this, but I'll refrain from supporting him for obvious reasons of bias. However, I do want to make this much clear: If he were to join the ranks of staff, he would definitely want to implement some changes in how we do things. If he feels his hands are tied because of red tape, he'll just drop the position.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 25th, 2003, 11:19:30 PM
No more eggshells in other words, and our spoiled community (which works most of the time) would evaporate, in a worst case senario.

But, they might not.

Shawn
Feb 25th, 2003, 11:33:32 PM
Well... I, too, am completely sick of having to walk on eggshells, as I put it earlier. Would Morgan's bluntness be over the top for a staff member? Possibly. But I'm starting to wonder if our Carebear attitude is any better.

Sanis Prent
Feb 25th, 2003, 11:39:46 PM
I feel like I'm dealing with France, to be honest. Seems every 10th poster here has a little Jacques Chirac inside of them. :mad

TheHolo.Net
Feb 26th, 2003, 01:39:04 AM
I wouldn't say that I am required to walk on eggshells, and I really don't think that many changes need to be made, at least not sudden or unsubtle ones.

Shawn
Feb 26th, 2003, 01:54:58 AM
No, I don't think any changes to policy should be made at this time. You'll pardon me venting some frustration from earlier. If anything, we can talk about such things in another thread. Let's try to keep this on the original topic. :)

I'm thinking that Eve may indeed be a good admin, if she would accept the position. We have dissenting opinions, which is a good thing, but we also have little trouble coming to an agreement, usually.

ReaperFett
Feb 26th, 2003, 02:42:34 AM
I think Eve would be a wise choice.

And this is the thing. If we change our current attitude, dont we just become another General Ceel?

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 26th, 2003, 12:51:42 PM
Eve would be a good choice, if she accept.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 6th, 2003, 10:18:35 PM
I will move this forward some by composing a PM to Eve and finding out her opinion of becoming an admin here, and in posting a thread informing the community at large that Yog is stepping down and we are ready to hear nominations/votes for a replacement RP mod within the next couple of days.

ReaperFett
Mar 7th, 2003, 04:52:24 AM
Doing it the same as last time?

TheHolo.Net
Mar 7th, 2003, 10:52:53 AM
For Moderator, yes. I too was discouraged to see votes for Gue and whatnot, but the stupidity factor was overwhelmed by those with sense and rationale and I suspect that will be the case again.

Navaria Tarkin
Mar 7th, 2003, 12:05:31 PM
Hopefully it won't be that bad this time around.

ReaperFett
Mar 7th, 2003, 12:33:40 PM
Last time worked fine.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 7th, 2003, 12:35:47 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
Last time worked fine. Agreed

Navaria Tarkin
Mar 7th, 2003, 09:11:55 PM
I just meant with some posters picking people to be mods eventhough they aren't qualified :p

Taylor Millard
Mar 7th, 2003, 10:36:49 PM
Well that's bound to happen in any vote. There's no way to get around that.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 7th, 2003, 10:37:45 PM
Yep, there are always going to be a few bad apples in a bushel.

Navaria Tarkin
Mar 7th, 2003, 10:48:38 PM
But I hate sour apples :(

badabumdum

TheHolo.Net
Mar 7th, 2003, 10:49:16 PM
hehe

Shawn
Mar 8th, 2003, 05:43:34 AM
I'm a little bit wary of having too many mods at once. Not even sure if we need another mod at this time. But I do feel we need another admin.

ReaperFett
Mar 8th, 2003, 06:23:19 AM
I just meant with some posters picking people to be mods eventhough they aren't qualified
Yeah, and to prove this, I got voted in ;)

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 8th, 2003, 01:22:16 PM
I tend to agree with Shawn, do we really need a replacement for Yog? I mean, its not like we're missing things as it is....are we?

JMK
Mar 8th, 2003, 02:47:34 PM
i can't speak for the RP forums, but I know I've been keeping a closer eye on things lately. Maybe with too many mods, the other staffers fall into the habit of thinking "if I don't catch it, another mod will". Just my .02¢

Navaria Tarkin
Mar 8th, 2003, 05:56:25 PM
Hmm ... could point. Since I catch lots of posts that need deleting all the time :mneh

Admin is a necessity tho.

Taylor Millard
Mar 8th, 2003, 06:21:26 PM
We've got 6 mods at the RP Forums. I think that might be enough.

ReaperFett
Mar 8th, 2003, 06:37:12 PM
5 Taylor :)

Sanis Prent
Mar 8th, 2003, 10:46:24 PM
yeah thats plenty. Admin is necessary tho

TheHolo.Net
Mar 8th, 2003, 11:52:44 PM
Okay, I'm good with that.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 11th, 2003, 11:52:46 AM
Something important came up here at home and I have been unable to PM Eve as of yet, but I will get to it soon.

ReaperFett
Mar 11th, 2003, 01:34:38 PM
No rush

TheHolo.Net
Mar 12th, 2003, 04:03:47 PM
PM to Eve sent.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 12th, 2003, 07:41:53 PM
Eve accepted. I will announce it very soon and change her board/account status.

Taylor Millard
Mar 12th, 2003, 08:21:04 PM
Very cool. Very cool.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 12th, 2003, 11:29:29 PM
Cool

Navaria Tarkin
Mar 12th, 2003, 11:35:25 PM
cool.

( i just had to say it)

ReaperFett
Mar 13th, 2003, 05:06:14 AM
I DIDN'T VOTE FO....I mean, cool :D

JMK
Mar 13th, 2003, 08:53:39 AM
:thumbup excellent!

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 14th, 2003, 11:42:16 PM
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVE!

:D

ReaperFett
Mar 26th, 2003, 02:57:18 PM
Not meaning to sound rude, but can we get on with removing my name from the Roleplaying Mod list please?

Shawn
Mar 26th, 2003, 03:11:09 PM
Point. Will do it now.

ReaperFett
Mar 26th, 2003, 03:13:52 PM
ty :)

Shawn
Mar 26th, 2003, 03:16:12 PM
There were a couple of other changes I had in mind for suggestion, but I'm still thinking them over. I'd like to focus on making things more concise and organized.

ReaperFett
Mar 26th, 2003, 03:23:53 PM
Well, I hardly think we're in a mad rush or anything.