PDA

View Full Version : Arms of the Kraken

Dirjj Mordrai
Feb 19th, 2003, 11:25:27 AM
Folks, announcement especially to those that have read George R R Martin's 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series. An excerpt from the upcoming fourth book 'A Feast for Crows' will be published in the March issue of Dragon Magazine. Yes that's issue #305. Due to hit newstands and gaming stores in late February.

The short novella is titled "arms of the kraken' and concerns the Greyjoys. For those that haven't read him, that's a shame. I give this author the highest recommendation. Fantastic author. The best fantasy writer I have ever, ever, ever read. Warning if you haven't read the series I suggest reading the series before reading the Dragon Magazine novella or you will be royally spoiled.

Also, in an upcoming Legends volume published by Tor is going to include a second 'Hedge Knight' novella. FYI, the first 'Hedge Knight' novella appeared in Legends volume 2 back in '98. Both these stories take place about a 100 years before the events in 'A Game of Thrones' (first book of the series). Presenting interesting insight on the Baratheons, Lannisters, Starks, and Targaryens. This is truly epic fantasy.

Here is Dragon Magazine address http://www.paizopublishing.com/dragon.shtml

To quote a character from the series, 'Heh'

Vampyre Dalamar
Feb 19th, 2003, 12:18:24 PM
Never read them but will look into them. Was always looking for a book that come's highly recommeded. I suggest "The Eye of the World" Series by Robert Jordan. It rocks big time. Its like reading phone books. But just to give you an ideal how much I like them I read those phone books 3 times and it was worth it every time. :smokin

Dirjj Mordrai
Feb 19th, 2003, 12:52:39 PM
Yes, George R R Martin series is the best I have ever read. He has a style all his own, really captures what a medievel fantasy world should be. A true pageturner. Never read a more skilled writer with such dynamic prose. You're in for a heck of a thrill ride!

Yes, Robert Jordan is pretty good, his series has borrowed much from LOTR. And has many archtypes that permeate todays fantasy such as 'farmboy becomes savior' and 'dark overlord' (a la Sauron). GRRM avoids largely avoids such cliches and the ones he does have are not noticable. Has Crossroads of Twilight been released yet?

Another writer I have begun to read is Eiji Yoshikawa who wrote the Musashi series. The book concerns a true legendary samurai named Musashi whose famous for writing the warrior philosphy text 'The Book of Five Rings'. Now Yoshikawa's work is fictional account of Musashi that follows history very closely. Excellent book and another superb writer. He had to have inspired Akira Kurosawa's earlier films. Definitely!

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Feb 19th, 2003, 01:38:11 PM
I can't get into fantasy, unless its Pratchett. Even Tolkien can't monopolize my interest in book form :\. I suppose I'm a finicky reader in that regard.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 19th, 2003, 02:00:04 PM
I haven't picked up the latest book from Jordan, I'm waiting for paperback.

AND HOORAY FOR MARTIN!

(and how can I get my hands on the hedge knight novellas??)

Dirjj Mordrai
Feb 19th, 2003, 03:10:49 PM
Keerrourri - Martin is she thit. I promise you! Lord of the Rings is good but I feel Martin is better. Often LOTR can read like a sing-along travelogue. Stronger characterizations and great solid world-building.

LD - Legends Volume 2 is available through amazon.com or local bookstores. Has a green cover with story contributions by Goodkind, McCaffrey, and Martin. Hedge Knight is a great story. The volume with Martin's second contribution is not published yet.

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Feb 19th, 2003, 05:25:28 PM
The only thing that I find unappealing about the LotR books is the learning curve. To begin Fellowship, you have to enroll in Middle Earth 101, and the explanations can...be...very.........dry......

Once you cross the hump, it does get better :) Its just crossing that damn hump in the first place!

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 19th, 2003, 07:20:44 PM
The Song of Ice and Fire is so much better than The Wheel of Time.

I refuse to compare it to LotR. :)

Dirjj Mordrai
Feb 19th, 2003, 07:25:16 PM
Precisely, creatively Tolkien was a genuis, absolute genuis though he adapted a ton from ancient real world myths into his books. So he had some structure or foundation already prepared for him. However his writing and characterizations are rather flat and dry as you say. He just does not really fleshed any of his characters save a few hobbits. And much of the thread in the third book (ROTK) seems kinda rushed. A great series that forever left it's mark on literature. And helped shape 99% of the genre. From what I understand it is the second most read book behind the Bible. Now that says alot!!!

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 19th, 2003, 07:28:05 PM
Yeah, it does. Martin has a knack for creating amazingly interesting characters, like Tyrion, and doesn't have qualms about killing of one of them if it suits the story. None of this : "You're a main character so you miraculously survive everything!"

Its great. I can't wait for A Feast For Crows.

Dirjj Mordrai
Feb 19th, 2003, 07:32:02 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
The Song of Ice and Fire is so much better than The Wheel of Time.

I refuse to compare it to LotR. :)

Yeah! :) LOTR is marvelous but ASOIAF is my fav.

Dirjj Mordrai
Feb 19th, 2003, 07:37:17 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
Yeah, it does. Martin has a knack for creating amazingly interesting characters, like Tyrion, and doesn't have qualms about killing of one of them if it suits the story. None of this : "You're a main character so you miraculously survive everything!"

Its great. I can't wait for A Feast For Crows.

One of the most talented writers I have ever read. If not the most?!? A Feast for Crows is due sometime in the spring last I heard. :D

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Feb 19th, 2003, 08:29:24 PM
I'll consider it, but really I only have enough room for fantasy on my literary plate to squeeze Pratchett in. By the time I finish all his books, I'll have a degree and a job, most likely.

Then there is Ambrose, Clancy, and further still, the classics :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 19th, 2003, 09:37:18 PM
Charley, marry me and I'll read the books to you before bedtime. ;)

orrrrr...not :D

Dirjj Mordrai
Feb 19th, 2003, 09:49:28 PM
Originally posted by Keerrourri Sarrtarroa
I'll consider it, but really I only have enough room for fantasy on my literary plate to squeeze Pratchett in. By the time I finish all his books, I'll have a degree and a job, most likely.

Then there is Ambrose, Clancy, and further still, the classics :)

Well I hope you can fit GRRM in, Charley! Fabulous writer and a very rewarding series. The quality is superb and reads more fantastorical. Knights and stuff. This is no sissy, prissy King Arthur material.

Dirjj Mordrai
Mar 5th, 2003, 06:07:42 AM
For GRRM fans, the issue is on the newstands now and I am purchasing mine later today. Hehehehehehe

---"And now it begins," said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.
---"No," Ned said with sadness in his voice. "Now it ends."

- A Game of Thrones

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 5th, 2003, 01:49:38 PM
:swoons

There needs to be a swoon smiley. :D

Must go...get....magazine...