PDA

View Full Version : The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 18th, 2003, 04:38:15 PM
Did anyone else see this trailer in front of Daredevil?

When it first started I thought maybe it was for The Fantastic Four or something similar, because I thought I saw Thing.

But then...

It looks really cool, from the preview, it has Sean Connery, and vampires and werewolves, invisible men etc...I think? Does anyone else know anything about this movie??

CMJ
Feb 18th, 2003, 04:39:23 PM
I thought this post was about the secret society that Jedieb, JMK, and I founded. ;)

ReaperFett
Feb 18th, 2003, 04:39:43 PM
It's based on a comic. comic film whore Steven Norrington is directng. The guy Gav uses is in it.

It's about a load of "heros". Invisible man, Dr jeckyll and the like. Not seen the trailer yet :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 18th, 2003, 04:43:35 PM
Har har CMJ. ;)

The trailer really looked cool...set in the 1800s, right? I bet you can find the trailer online. I don't have time to look for it right now.

JMK
Feb 18th, 2003, 04:46:03 PM
Har har CMJ.
Are you implying that you don't believe the honorable CMJ? Shame on you!

;)

JonathanLB
Feb 18th, 2003, 05:54:26 PM
This movie looked kinda tight to me, and I hadn't even heard of it before....

Lots of good movies this summer it looks like. Rather amazing. I can usually pick maybe 10 movies each summer I really want to see, but I definitely think that if I sat down now and put together a list, I could come up with 15 to 20 this summer, which is remarkable.

ReaperFett
Feb 18th, 2003, 05:58:09 PM
The only problem was how the trailer called it LXG. It sounded too teen-aimed.

Darth Viscera
Feb 18th, 2003, 06:06:13 PM
I certainly hope they include Charlie Chaplin.

*does a chaplin impression, walking sideways-feeted and twirling a lightsaber in his left hand instead of a cane*

Jedieb
Feb 18th, 2003, 07:28:12 PM
CMJ has to be killed because he acknowledged the existence of TLoEG. Say your farewells to him. His time on this Earth is running out.

CMJ
Feb 18th, 2003, 07:29:00 PM
:lol :lol Come and find me big guy. ;)

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 18th, 2003, 07:36:59 PM
ROTFL Jedieb!

ReaperFett
Feb 18th, 2003, 07:38:04 PM
:lol

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 18th, 2003, 07:51:00 PM
I have heard of the movie, but didn't see the previews before DD it wasn't shown in my area.

Jedieb
Feb 18th, 2003, 07:54:30 PM
FOOLS!! Do you think you are safe? CMJ gets a warning because he was a member! All of your deaths will be without warning and appear to be complete "accidents!" :evil

CMJ
Feb 18th, 2003, 07:57:15 PM
:lol :lol ROTFLMAO :lol :lol

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 18th, 2003, 08:03:01 PM
this "league" does not exist. now excuse me gentlemen....

* gets out frying pans and other utensils of death *

(Oh and the trailer looked cool as)

Diego Van Derveld
Feb 18th, 2003, 08:39:07 PM
....Sean Connery....Werewolves.....

:D!

(head explodes in coolness overload)

JediBoricua
Feb 18th, 2003, 08:40:29 PM
I do remember a club...;)

Jinn Fizz
Feb 18th, 2003, 09:46:23 PM
Yup, I saw the trailer before Daredevil. I'd heard nothing about it before then, and I thought it looked like one to definitely consider going to see when it comes out.

Sean Connery.

That's enough of a reason for me. :D

Zeke
Feb 18th, 2003, 10:51:26 PM
The title alone has me wondering about this one. I'd like to see it. I'm so far outta the movie loop, I need to see SOMETHING. :lol

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 18th, 2003, 10:52:14 PM
AMEN TO THAT, JINN!

Sean Connery is cool as. ;)

Diego Van Derveld
Feb 18th, 2003, 11:23:46 PM
ARG WE NEED MORE WEREWOLF MOVIES NOW ARG!!!!

ESPECIALLY WITH JULIE DELPY ARG ARG ARRRRG!!!

JMK
Feb 18th, 2003, 11:46:28 PM
What's she up to these days anyway?

J'hrea Alsac'lynol
Feb 19th, 2003, 12:07:53 AM
Seems like a good movie..

JonathanLB
Feb 19th, 2003, 12:39:27 AM
Useless advice of the day: do not see She-Wolf of London -- it has nothing to do with werewolves at all. ;)

Werewolf of London, though, is very good, or at least I thought so. I have yet to see "The Wolf Man," which as I understand is the best according to most critics / horror fans (1941...).

Diego Van Derveld
Feb 19th, 2003, 01:09:31 AM
I prefer An American Werewolf in Paris. Its not a good movie. Its got plenty of plot holes, and is campy...but its got the same kind of funky comedy in AWiL, and even better still...it has Julie Delpy, the only good thing to come out of France next to maybe the French Kiss.

JonathanLB
Feb 19th, 2003, 01:14:05 AM
I actually heard An American Werewolf in Paris was really good...

I have yet to see it, either.

Diego Van Derveld
Feb 19th, 2003, 01:17:07 AM
Its plot barely holds water, but I can still suspend my belief. Its just a lot of fun, plain and simple. One of the best examples of how you can make a sub-par movie into a real treat. I like this one almost enough to put it in my top 30 :)

Vampyre Dalamar
Feb 19th, 2003, 01:34:58 AM
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is a comic book written by Alan Moore a comic genius. It has the invisible man, Miss Harkness, Alan Quartamain hope im saying that right. Dr Jekyll and my hide. With the villian from Sherlock holmes Rathsbane I think his name is. also a villian that looks like Fu Manchu. Alan Moore also wrote from Hell. Captain Nemo is also one of the team. There like a team of British Operatives for special missions . Thats the comic book. Old school books revised for new writing missions. The last one I seen was some invasion by Mars. Also had a cool back story about the Time Machine. I love the Time Machine it is so cool. H.G. Wells rocks.

Anyway thats kind of jumbled but hey Im just sharing info not writing my own book....... Or am I?o_O

ReaperFett
Feb 19th, 2003, 04:27:24 AM
Dr Jekyll and my hide
Your backside? ;)

Mr Hyde :)

And I think youre right about Fu. I vaguely remember all.

Arya Ravenwing
Feb 19th, 2003, 05:25:41 AM
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/lxg/lxg_trailer_medium.html

*drools*

One or two gentlewomen? I can't tell! I think maybe two. :huh :)

There appears to be some guys in blue turbans and/or asian get up fighting...

I want to see it now. I dont' want to wait!

(and this...is why I fail... ;))

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Feb 19th, 2003, 08:30:32 AM
It does sound good! :D

I still want to see Gods and Generals.

Sene Unty
Feb 19th, 2003, 08:42:22 AM
The guy in the Turbans is Nemo.

All of what Dalamar said is correct...he just beat me to it!

As for the movie...nah, I was interested before I saw the preview but it just looks kinda silly to me. The comic was fantastic, but it seems like the director is trying to gear this movie to a teen audience by calling it "LXG". If Alan Moore cared what happened in the outside world he would be either laughing hysterically at the ridiculousness of it or finding some way to sue.....

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 19th, 2003, 01:53:43 PM
The LXG part is ridiculous I agree. But I'll still watch the movie. :)

Agden Ithrin
Feb 19th, 2003, 02:11:40 PM
It looks like it will be lots of fun. Especially with werewolves in it!

;; gets ready to steal images ;; :mischief

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 19th, 2003, 02:17:38 PM
We don't like the term "steal." We prefer "borrow." ;)

Agden Ithrin
Feb 19th, 2003, 02:21:21 PM
Borrow them for an extended time, without returning them :D

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 19th, 2003, 11:27:16 PM
I saw the trailer on the net it looks really good to me. I also went and looked up the cast on IMBD to see what other characters they are
Allan Quartermain- was in a series of books by H. Rider Haggard played by Sean Connery

Ms. Mina Murray- was in the book Dracula by Bram Stoker played by Peta Wilson

Captain Nemo- Captain of the Nautalis in Jules Verne 20,000 Leagues under the sea played by Naseeruddin Shah

Dr. Henry Jekyll and Mr Hyde- in the book by the same name written by Robert Louis Stevenson played by Jason Flemyng

Dr. Hawley Griffin- aks the Invisible, was in the book the Invisible man by H.G Wells played by Tony Curran

Tom Sawyer- in The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain played by Shane West

Dorian Gray not sure what book he was in or who wrote it played by Stuart Towesand

That is all the characters the villain is named the Fantom maybe he is in the comics no clue there. Also does anybody know what book Dorian Gray was in?

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 19th, 2003, 11:43:47 PM
Dorian Gray: The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde. Essentialy his "coming out" novel. I've been trying to read it for a year now...can't get into it.

I'm really REALLY interested in the movie now. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 19th, 2003, 11:49:10 PM
Now I know it I was thinking Dorian Gray that sounds familar. Okay thats cool, I read on a website that he doesn't age and he might have made a pack with the devil so is the novel an adventure novel? Just curious I didn't think Oscar Wilde wrote those type of novels I mean like H. Rider Haggard.

JonathanLB
Feb 19th, 2003, 11:58:58 PM
The Picture of Dorian Gray is one of the most famous horror films, 1945, I have still yet to see it...

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 20th, 2003, 12:00:30 AM
No, in the novel the picture of Dorian never ages....to tell the truth I haven't read the whole thing, so I only know what I've heard of it. Its a very slow novel, about how the painter is in love with the picture of Dorian or something...and the picture just slowly fades into nothing at the end of the book.

If I recall correctly. Its a book about obsession.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 20th, 2003, 12:06:42 AM
okay now I remember that part, I wonder what is the guy's story in the movie?

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 20th, 2003, 12:11:31 AM
He's probably just there to look good. The character in the book is supposed to be devastatingly adorable. I really need to read past the second chapter. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 20th, 2003, 12:19:53 AM
LOL well Stuart Towsend is that kind of actor. I am not sure how good of actor he is really, maybe this will be his breakout role after getting turned away from LOTR he needs something.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 20th, 2003, 12:21:37 AM
I'm mad I couldn't get the trailer saved to my computer. I went through it frame by frame as much as I could last night... Mr. Hyde looks cool as.

Mu Satach
Feb 25th, 2003, 10:01:15 PM
I'm pretty sure that Dorian gets his wish in the book, that his picture ends up aging while he remains the same.

I could be wrong.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 25th, 2003, 11:46:09 PM
I still haven't read it all the way yet. ^_^;

Mu Satach
Feb 26th, 2003, 07:23:56 PM
Well I'm pulling that comment out of my hat so who knows. :)

I wish I had time to read it and a host of other things.

JonathanLB
Feb 26th, 2003, 08:20:16 PM
Mu, that wasn't your hat! Unless you wear your hat on your booty! ;)

Sene Unty
Feb 26th, 2003, 10:34:34 PM

Sage Hazzard
Feb 27th, 2003, 03:06:42 AM
I haven't seen the pre-Daredevil trailer, nor have I read the comic, but I dislike the way it's being taken. The comic is written by Alan Moore, who's a genius in the comic world. He wrote the wonderful, thought provoking, original the Watchmen. And I always saw this LXG comic as a intellectual piece. You had to think to like it. This movie seems more obsessed with style over substance. Also, the woman from Dracula was the leader in the comics. They make Connery's character the leader in the movie for the obvious star pulling power I presume. I just don't like the direction it's going.