PDA

View Full Version : Woher fliegst du?

Sanis Prent
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:21:40 AM
Dilemma: I am trying to arrange a trip to Hamm, a nice little town in the Ruhr valley of Germany. I'm trying to make my plane ticket as cheap as possible. To do so, I will drive from Birmingham to Atlanta, and fly from Atlanta's international airport.

That's the easy part.

Now, where to fly? Hamm has no international airport, but there are plenty within a few hours of there. Dusseldorf, Stuttgart, Frankfurt, and Amsterdam are the choices that look good at the time. Strangely, Frankfurt and Amsterdam are about 200 dollars cheaper than Stuttgart or Dusseldorf, and this is cross-referenced on several ticket pricing websites. Its very bizarre.

Zeke
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:24:36 AM
Frankfurt is where we landed when we went on vacation last Christmas.

ReaperFett
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:27:30 AM
Amsterdam is a major airport, linking most flights to and from the US. I'd head there. Also, you've more chance of getting inflight entertainment in your language :)

Sanis Prent
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:30:17 AM
True, but I was gunning for Dusseldorf. Its closer to Hamm than any of the others. However, Amsterdam is almost as close, but Frankfurt is cheaper than all of them. Its a bit of a dilemma :)

Morgan Evanar
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:44:29 AM
Germany = small. Fly in and then take the rail. =p

Sanis Prent
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:48:31 AM
Well, even Stuttgart is within 3 hours of Hamm, I think. So I'm just having my friend meet me wherever I go and pick me up. I won't spend money on a train.

Sanis Prent
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:50:42 AM
I'm willing to pay up to 20 dollars more for a Dusseldorf ticket. I could get one for 760, but its through Air France. I'd rather pay the 780 to fly Lufthansa, because there are only two things I can't stand...those who are intolerant of other people and cultures....and the French.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 17th, 2003, 12:04:59 PM
take me with you!

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 17th, 2003, 01:11:08 PM
Germany isn't that far from England..

Zasz Grimm
Feb 17th, 2003, 02:52:22 PM
:rolleyes

Figrin D'an
Feb 17th, 2003, 03:01:40 PM
I can't speak for the others, but Fett is right... Amsterdam is a major international airport, so your flight options are likely to be much greater flying into or out of there.

Between Dusseldorf and Amsterdam, take Amsterdam... but if Frankfort is cheaper, and your friend is willing to pick you up, then go for it.

Sanis Prent
Feb 17th, 2003, 03:38:26 PM
Amsterdam is only about 30 bucks more than Frankfurt I think. So I just might take that route. Its only about an hour's drive to Hamm, I think.

ReaperFett
Feb 17th, 2003, 03:41:01 PM
Now, remember, Ich bin ein Hamburger ;)

Sanis Prent
Feb 17th, 2003, 03:42:56 PM
That's only for Hamburg :mneh

Probably wrong, but I'd guess the term I'd need would be "Ich bin Hammer"

Can't touch this :lol

ReaperFett
Feb 17th, 2003, 03:45:35 PM
Nahhhhh, all Hammer does these days is Christian TV and Superbowl :)

Ryla Relvinian
Feb 17th, 2003, 05:27:09 PM
We flew into Dusseldorf, and it was fine. I much prefer the Helsinki airport so far. Heathrow was HELL on earth, and that's even in comparison to PDX. :p

Oh, and a word about german rail... the trains are usually marked with ONLY the final destination on them, and rarely any stops between, at least the ones we saw. This is a good thing to know, because we almost missed a train because of it.

Destiny Stormrider
Feb 17th, 2003, 05:47:10 PM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent
[...] because there are only two things I can't stand...those who are intolerant of other people and cultures....and the French.

ROFL ironic... :rolleyes

Take the train! It'll let you admire the views and feel like an average German citizen :)

Sanis Prent
Feb 17th, 2003, 07:33:57 PM
its a variant of an AP3 quote from Michael Caine.

And don't most tourists take the train? If I want to feel like an average German citizen, I think I'll stick to the Autobahn :D

Ryla Relvinian
Feb 18th, 2003, 01:29:19 AM
Schmoooke and a Pancake?

Sanis Prent
Feb 18th, 2003, 01:51:43 AM
because there are only two things I can't stand...those who are intolerant of other people and cultures....and the French.

Replace "French" with "Dutch" for Caine's quote.

Kelt Simoson
Feb 18th, 2003, 02:41:30 AM
Dusseldorf, pay more to get yourself closer i say, Amsterdam although a major airport is still outside of Germany which means crossing the border and its not as easy as some countries, Germanys borders are pretty tight, me and my family went to Switzerland one year and we went to see Southern Germany as well, took us about 2 hours to get through due to the number of people wanting to get through (Don't know what its like Amsterdam way but im sure other US and British people are having the same ideas as you)...i say stick to your guns and head inside Germany and try to get as close as you can...Dusseldorf.

Sanis Prent
Feb 18th, 2003, 02:50:00 AM
Dusseldorf and Amsterdam are about equidistant from Hamm. Besides, we are going to go to Amsterdam anyways, so we'll deal with the Dutch border whether I land in Dusseldorf or Amsterdam :)