PDA

View Full Version : A good site for those who rank films

ReaperFett
Feb 17th, 2003, 09:44:50 AM
YMDB - Your Movie Database (http://www.ymdb.com/home.asp)

HERE (http://www.ymdb.com/user_top20_view.asp?usersid=4053) is mine :)

Sene Unty
Feb 17th, 2003, 01:07:39 PM
:lol funny statement.....

CMJ
Feb 17th, 2003, 07:39:29 PM
I put up a list, but I'm not sure I'm happy with it.

http://www.ymdb.com/user_top20_view.asp?usersid=4094

Admiral Lebron
Feb 17th, 2003, 07:57:38 PM
I have a list... it will change.

Dae Jinn
Feb 17th, 2003, 08:00:12 PM
:lol

nice Fett.

Diego Van Derveld
Feb 17th, 2003, 08:05:31 PM
YES! I have a movie on my list that isn't in their database! WOOHOO

Dae Jinn
Feb 17th, 2003, 08:08:40 PM
Which movie? :huh

Diego Van Derveld
Feb 17th, 2003, 08:15:40 PM
The Razor's Edge (1984)

Dae Jinn
Feb 17th, 2003, 08:17:04 PM
okies :)

Diego Van Derveld
Feb 17th, 2003, 08:40:26 PM
<a href=http://www.ymdb.com/user_top20_view.asp?usersid=4098>My list!</a>

JonathanLB
Feb 17th, 2003, 08:52:09 PM
I don't think I ever will want to make a top 10, 20, or 100 greatest films list.

I think in about 3-4 years I will put together a series of lists, however. I'll make the 100 greatest sci-fi films list, the 100 greatest comedies, the 100 greatest horror movies, the 25 greatest animated films perhaps, stuff like that. I would feel better about comparing films that are similar because my lists will be valuable to viewers and probably mostly representative of broader film tastes.

Still, if I made a top 100 of all films, it would still mostly be dominated by 1970's and above films, even though I have no bias against earlier works. Simply put, because sci-fi and reality movies are my favorites, and they are mostly works from the modern era (the best of them, anyway), then my list would be dominated with stuff like Alien, The Terminator, T2, Blade Runner, Star Wars films, 12 Monkeys, Dark City, The Matrix, etc. It's all recent.

Now if I made a comedy list, you'd see films from all decades, including perhaps a Chaplin movie like Modern Times, lots of screwball comedies from the '30s (plus something like Duck Soup in 1933 of course), and basically there wouldn't be any bias against any era of comedy because the genre has pretty much existed in greatness throughout film history.

If I made a horror list, actually, it would more likely be dominated by films from before 1970 like Night of the Living Dead, many monster classics from the '30s, even Nosferatu from Germany in 1922, etc.

Point being, I don't think I'm biased at all towards newer movies, but if I made a top 100 greatest films list, it would seem that way just because my personal favorites are mostly within the last 30 years, besides a high ranking for Citizen Kane, Casablanca, probably Lawrence of Arabia, and a few others.

I had thought of making a more restricted list, like limiting any decade to only 15 entries, or something like that, but it seems it would just be unnatural then.

ReaperFett
Feb 18th, 2003, 03:02:10 AM
0% Match with CMJ :)
4.15% with Charley :)

ReaperFett
Feb 18th, 2003, 03:02:48 AM
The Razor's Edge (1984) ? You have 1946 in your list

Zakatiel Rhinehart
Feb 18th, 2003, 03:24:09 AM
Hehehe, 1946, that reminds me of the movie 1941

"HOLLYWOOOOOD!!!"

Loki Ahmrah
Feb 18th, 2003, 07:28:15 AM
My list (http://www.ymdb.com/user_top20_view.asp?usersid=4125) - this is a great site.

Diego Van Derveld
Feb 18th, 2003, 11:47:36 AM
They didn't have an option to put in a special entry. So I settled for the 1946 Razor's Edge :\

Diego Van Derveld
Feb 18th, 2003, 11:48:55 AM
ACK! I forgot American History X

ReaperFett
Feb 18th, 2003, 02:17:13 PM
I had to do a "Bubbling Under" section :)

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 18th, 2003, 03:07:46 PM
My list (http://www.ymdb.com/user_top20_view.asp?usersid=4152)

Sanis Prent
Feb 18th, 2003, 03:51:48 PM
I wish there was the option to synergize movie series, so that I could include Star Wars as a whole into my list. Not sure how LotR would fare on entering my top 20 in that event, but it would likely creep onto the bottom somewhere. ESB's low bracket would skyrocket if you considered Star Wars as a synergy. It would be up in my top 3 at that point.

Then again, you'd also see a Bond synergy emerge, which would be guaranteed a spot on my list as well.

Jedieb
Feb 18th, 2003, 04:28:48 PM
I'm trying to find my old top 20 lists from threads long ago. I hate to start from scratch. I know I'm going to omit some favorites. Does anyone know if you can go back and edit your list?

CMJ
Feb 18th, 2003, 04:30:59 PM
Yeah you can. I've already fiddled with mine a few times and I just put it up yesterday. ;)

ReaperFett
Feb 18th, 2003, 04:41:12 PM
I like how you can hope films too.

Jedieb
Feb 18th, 2003, 05:34:07 PM
Well I've done mine, but everything after the first 5 or so is a toss up. I know I've left out some favorites. I'll probably go back and place Blade Runner in there somewhere. But I'm pretty sure I couldn't get drunk enough to put Daredevil in there. ;)http://www.ymdb.com/user_top20_view.asp?usersid=4163

ReaperFett
Feb 18th, 2003, 05:48:47 PM
Oh, Im sure we can MAKE you drunk, ya snob ;)

JonathanLB
Feb 18th, 2003, 05:52:51 PM
Blade Runner would have to make my list too.

The order after the first 7 or 8 (non-SW films) would be just impossible. That's why I hate lists like that, I simply cannot compare these films rationally.

Someone could say, "So you really think that The Truman Show is a better movie than Blade Runner?" Well, uhh, not really... I mean I love them both, so I wouldn't know what to do with rankings but traditionally I have put Truman above BR, even though I consider defending such a decision impossible, even from my perspective. Some movies are simply too good, they reach an upper limit that makes them impossible to compare with other movies that are also that good...

CMJ
Feb 18th, 2003, 06:03:40 PM
I kind of agree with that Jonathan. In fact I'd say I'd have about 100 movies that I want on my top 20 list. :lol

As I say every year. Doing a top 10 list for a YEAR is hard as hell. Top films of all-time is downright impossible.

ReaperFett
Feb 18th, 2003, 06:12:59 PM
so do a top 20 ;)

CMJ
Feb 18th, 2003, 06:18:07 PM
I did(look at my link), that was just as hard. :p

JonathanLB
Feb 18th, 2003, 06:36:13 PM
Yeah, CMJ, I hear that.

Some people don't think it is impressive when I say that such and such movie is "one of the 100 best movies I have ever seen." They are like, "Pshh, that's no big deal." Well for them, perhaps not, I mean if they haven't really seen a ton of movies, then "top 100" sounds like a huge list.

For me, however, if I say a movie is one of the 100 best I've ever seen, that is meant to be a huge compliment. I have seen hundreds of great movies, so my top 100 would be only the best of the best and I've not even seen a few thousand classics I am still working on :)

A top 20 is incredibly hard. Especially if I was forced to separate the SW films, then I have only 15 entries left for other movies, so on a top 20 even something like Citizen Kane or Casablanca might not make it, or would barely make it, which seems odd to me. At the least, both are among the 35 best films I've ever seen. I would think I'd want to put Kane up there at #15 to #18 even with the 5 SW films included.

I don't really think I ever want to post a top 100 personal list on my film site. I think, though, I will eventually post genre top 100 lists, because that'll be fair to do eventually. Or in some cases I'll make it smaller, like perhaps, "The 40 greatest war movies ever made," or maybe 25, or whatever I feel is a good number so that I can include the stuff I want! :)

CMJ
Feb 18th, 2003, 06:43:08 PM
I couldn't even find a place for my all-time guilty pleasure...AIRPLANE! When that happens you know 20 spaces is not enough. ;)

Ryla Relvinian
Feb 18th, 2003, 07:00:19 PM
Mine! (http://www.ymdb.com/user_top20_view.asp?usersid=4172&ce=y)

Great site, but I'm far less snooty about it... I know what I like and I know that I have a limited movie group to choose from. My list gets a bit jumbled at the bottom, but it's pretty much good. I like this site!

CMJ
Feb 18th, 2003, 07:03:23 PM
Snooty? o_O

Jedieb
Feb 18th, 2003, 07:06:11 PM
I liked everything on your list Ryla except; Fifth Element, Patriot, HP2, Lilo & Stitch, & K-PAX. The last 3 are only because I haven't seen them. The Patriot was okay, but there were too many cariacatures for me to enjoy it (Britons=Satan) and the deaths of TWO of his sons ruins multiple viewings for me.

ReaperFett
Feb 18th, 2003, 07:08:18 PM
My lists affinity with all of yours is 3-5% max :)

CMJ
Feb 18th, 2003, 07:12:03 PM
The most agreeable to mine is Charley's with a whopping 14.8% affinity. ;)

Of course some of the movies that just missed mine are on some of yours. I'm not sure that low number is really comperable to how much my taste agrees with some of yall's.

Jedieb
Feb 18th, 2003, 07:12:17 PM
I liked around 7 of yours. But I'm curious, 3% would be 3/5 of one of my movies. Which film and what 3/5 of it? ;)

ReaperFett
Feb 18th, 2003, 07:14:37 PM
Might be to do with top choices being worth more.

ReaperFett
Feb 19th, 2003, 09:24:21 AM
Out of intrest btw, how many of my list have you peeps seen? The three cantonese titled ones are Hard Boiled, The Killer and A Better Tommorow.

JonathanLB
Feb 19th, 2003, 10:17:12 AM
The Killer is perhaps one of the best action movies ever made, partially because it's really not all about the action anyway...

I love The Fifth Element now. When I first saw it in theaters, I hated it. I thought it was pretty dumb and the whole "big black blob" coming at the Earth seemed pretty corny and contrived to me, but after I saw it a few years later I ended up buying the DVD and reversing my rating to 4 stars (lol, how's that for a turnaround?). I just think it's a wonderfully imaginative film now, regardless of any odd plot elements, it's too visually fantastic and fun not to like, simply put.

On the "Snooty" list subject, I have seen quite a few lists from a few guys at Rotten Tomatoes that were pretty silly. I mean, the sheer number of foreign films and old movies and the total lack of new releases seemed a bit strange to me. I think some people make lists basically like so: "Well I love Gladiator, but that's not quite intellectual enough, so... hmm... I think I'll put The 400 Blows, because only film buffs have seen that and they'll be impressed that I have. Oh also I got to put The Bicycle Thief, yeah, that will impress them too. Citizen Kane will have to be #1, great film, everyone puts it as #1, I may as well too. Let's see here, I shouldn't put The Seven Samurai or Ran because even non-film buffs watch those sometimes, so how about I put Madadayo or perhaps Sanjuro, oh heck I'll go with Yojimbo instead. Now I definitely cannot put Princess Mononoke, it was too popular, so I'll put Kiki's Delivery Service at #18 to show I appreciate anime, and Japanese film, of course. I will have to pick 2001 above Star Wars, even though the latter is a superior film, because 2001 is much more controversial at the end and people will think that my superior tastes in such an intellectual, unusual film make me sophisticated. Plus it covers my Kubrick love, which is essential. Now I can't put Fritz Lang's Metropolis on here, too popular, and even Sunrise is somewhat pushing it because every film buff sees that, so I'll put his movie 'M' instead. I should represent Soviet cinema, but The Battleship Potemkin is too popular, so is Solaris. That means either Andrei Rublev by Tarkovsky or Strike or October by Eisenstein... hmm... guess I'll go with Strike because it's older."

There you have the decision making process of a snooty filmgoer :)

Diego Van Derveld
Feb 19th, 2003, 10:18:13 AM
none

ReaperFett
Feb 19th, 2003, 10:28:59 AM
Was that to me? You've seen NONE of my top 20? :)

Diego Van Derveld
Feb 19th, 2003, 10:42:18 AM
No, just none of the ones you just mentioned

ReaperFett
Feb 19th, 2003, 11:00:03 AM
I meant all 20 :)

Diego Van Derveld
Feb 19th, 2003, 11:06:14 AM
ohh...you did the math before, I thought? I know its only a few anyways.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 19th, 2003, 12:17:55 PM
I am with CMJ its hard to make a list, I mean the top 5 I didn't have a huge problem with but after that there are so many movies I like its hard to fit them all in, I just kind of went with the ones that I like more right now, so that list will defintely change.

ReaperFett
Feb 19th, 2003, 12:27:04 PM
I see it this way. My 1-5 are all just about level, just depends on preference at the time. As an aside, the SW fiveology would be merged here.

6-10 are those which I like as much, but for some reason not as much.

11-20 are the next lot. Easy :)

Ryla Relvinian
Feb 20th, 2003, 05:18:26 PM
Originally posted by JonathanLB
There you have the decision making process of a snooty filmgoer :)

Exaaaaaaactly what I meant. There are so many classic movies that suck but nobody has the balls to say so. I just put down my favs as well as my most recent movies and how they compare. I kinda got annoyed with film critics after a snooty film theory class a year ago, so that comment wasn't aimed at anyone here. :)

ReaperFett
Feb 20th, 2003, 05:23:07 PM
Go Ryla! Stick it to da snobs! :D

JonathanLB
Feb 20th, 2003, 09:03:16 PM
Hehe, I love talking about films and I love film classes, I really love analyzing a movie in incredible detail because you start noticing what really goes into it, but there is a difference between appreciating a film or films and then just being snooty in general.

I mean, if I say that I really think Eisenstein is a better director than Tarkovsky (I don't think this; I've never even seen a Tarkovsky film yet, lol), then I wouldn't mean that as a snooty comment just because they are foreign directors. I mean, that wouldn't be fair. A snooty comment would, IMO, be more like, "Well if you've never seen The Battleship Potemkin, you just have no place talking about movies." That's just plain idiotic...

Jedieb
Feb 21st, 2003, 09:28:13 AM
Classic films that suck! I'd love to see your list of classics that suck Ryla!

JonathanLB
Feb 21st, 2003, 09:32:04 AM
I am not sure I've ever seen a so-called "classic" that was worse than 2 stars, but my worst so far are A Streetcar Named Desire and The Rules of the Game, at the least.

I'm not a huge fan of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Frankly, I think it's insanely stupid in its plot and ridiculous in general, but because it didn't totally insult me or bore me, I'd give it 2.5 stars because I'm such a nice guy and a Spielberg tool. lol.

E.T. is also not a favorite classic of mine. 2.5 stars, no more.

Besides that, I at least "like" most classics, although I could name a lot that are overrated (Some Like it Hot is not the funniest movie ever made -- there are at least 500 funnier movies, not the least of which would be Wilder's own The Apartment, for instance).

Jedieb
Feb 21st, 2003, 09:42:13 AM
If something stands up over time and gets labeled a classic then that usually means that most of the people who saw enjoyed it. No film is going to have a 100% approval rating. Some people will find SLIHot amusing, others will think it's hysterical. But it's remarkable that the film has held up as long as it has. Passing that test of time is remarkable. Especially when you consider they were probably over a 100 major releases that same year.

So if somebody thinks that a classic "sucks", all it means is that THEY didn't like it. The film hasn't hung around for DECADES because most people who saw it agree with that person's assessment.

This wasn't directed at you Jon, but this is. Remember how you felt about Casablanca years ago? I remember you saying that it wasn't anything special. No meaningful themes, etc. I remember it because it's been my favorite for years now so I notice comments about it whenever they're made. Now you really like it. Funny how a movie can grow on someone, isn't it?

JonathanLB
Feb 21st, 2003, 09:47:13 AM
I don't know if you could be thinking of the same film? I had never seen Casablanca in my life before two weeks ago...

Some movies I like much more now than before, but if I made any comments on Casablanca they were just simply without knowledge as I had never seen it before in my life. I have now still only seen it once and it's one of my favorite films from that viewing.

As for classics, I agree. That's why there are hardly any that I don't like. If they've held up over time this well, odds are that I will, 95% of the time or more, agree with the consensus that they are very good at least.

I still think Some Like it Hot is really good, incredibly funny at points, great dialogue, and Billy Wilder is a wonderful director. It just isn't THE funniest movie of all time, that's all. I mean, It Happened One Night and Bringing Up Baby are both much earlier films, but also much better, same with The Awful Truth (now that's a classic). Any time someone labels a movie "the best..." of whatever, you know that's going to set it up for disappointment to some degree.

I felt that Shane and Stagecoach were a bit overrated because they have been so acclaimed, yet I gave them both 3.5 stars. I still think the Shane character is really interesting, I really like the movie (I wouldn't give it 3.5 otherwise), and the final shootout kicks butt. It just isn't as good, to me, as High Noon or The Searchers, for instance.

Jedieb
Feb 21st, 2003, 09:58:27 AM
I'm trying to think of classics that have underwhelmed me a bit. GWTW is one that comes to mind. I liked it, but I would never call it one of my favorite romances, let alone one of my favorite films. But I still wouldn't deny that it was a classic because it's impact has been huge. The numbers it put up when it was broadcast back in the 70's were simply obscene. So even decades after its release it was still carrying some weight. Just not with me.

Ryla Relvinian
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:37:25 PM
Classic films that suck! I'd love to see your list of classics that suck Ryla!

No, you probably would shun me like the rest of the jerks who comment on my worst movie list. (argh) Let's just say I... don't follow the trends. :)

JMK
Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:50:37 PM
C'mon Ryla! We want that list! :p

Ryla Relvinian
Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:32:03 PM
Oh, go check out my link then. :) See my worst movies list and then view the inane commentary. :p

JMK
Apr 2nd, 2003, 11:07:15 PM
I can't find it. :huh

Ryla Relvinian
Apr 2nd, 2003, 11:28:07 PM
Ooo sorry, it was on the first page.

http://www.ymdb.com/user_top20_view.asp?usersid=4172&ce=y

heh. You have been warned.

Jackson DeWitt
Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:12:01 AM
Requiem would definitely be on my "most hated" list...up pretty high, too.

Ryla Relvinian
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:14:00 AM
*Leaps up into his arms*

You are a god. :P

FireKat
Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:25:30 AM
:) Its number 3 on my worst list

ReaperFett
Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:11:25 AM
If I close my eyes on Pulp FIction, that's a fine list :)

JMK
Apr 3rd, 2003, 07:42:56 AM
Ditto Reaper. I didn't hate the Planet of the Apes remake, but I have no problem with is being there. :)

CMJ
Apr 3rd, 2003, 08:30:03 AM
Some good flicks on that list. Oh well....

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:27:55 PM
You should see my worst list, there isn't a good film on that one :p

ReaperFett
Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:31:28 PM
http://www.ymdb.com/user_worst20_view.asp?usersid=4053

Titanic would probably not be there if I could manage a 20.

And yes, there's no Matrix there. That's because I CAN see a good film being made out of this Those 15 are beyond help due to plot, or the cast, or whatever. See to me, a decent-good Matrix film could be:

- Remove Keanu Reeves totally, make Carrie Anne Moss the "Neo" figure.

- Give Joey Pants a decent role.

- Remove the team. What's the point of making there be nine characters, if five die, three of which without any real point in being there?

- More Hugo Weaving.

- Proper fighting, not showing off SFX.

I'd like that film most likely :)

Jedieb
Apr 4th, 2003, 02:54:22 PM
Robin Hood: Men in Tights Ryla?! I'd put Blazing Saddles, Spaceballs, and the Producers ahead of RHMIT. But, hey comedy's a funny beast.

I didn't know they had a worst movie list there. Oh, so many Travolta and Stallone films to slam.....

Jedieb
Apr 4th, 2003, 03:36:53 PM
http://www.ymdb.com/user_worst20_view.asp?usersid=4163

I forgot to mention Burt Reynolds. :shootin

ReaperFett
Apr 4th, 2003, 03:42:08 PM
CANNONBALL RUN 2? A classic!

Event Horizon, good man :)

HUDSON HAWK??? A film AHEAD of it's time!

:)

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 4th, 2003, 04:22:21 PM
Here is my worst list some real awful films on that one

http://www.ymdb.com/user_worst20_view.asp?usersid=4152

ReaperFett
Apr 4th, 2003, 04:28:55 PM
ANother cannonball hater!

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 4th, 2003, 04:31:07 PM
LOL well there were 15 movies I hated worse, actually the first film is watchable the second is just horrible.

ReaperFett
Apr 4th, 2003, 04:34:02 PM
Couldnt say if I had seen the original :)

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 4th, 2003, 05:18:20 PM
The original had Roger Moore in it.

ReaperFett
Apr 4th, 2003, 05:20:58 PM
the sequel had Jaws in it :)

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 4th, 2003, 05:36:57 PM
I don't remember that I know it had a fake cameo by Sinatra.

ReaperFett
Apr 4th, 2003, 05:45:29 PM
He was in the underwater car with Jackie Chan.

....cripes that sounds like I was under the influence while watching that film ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 4th, 2003, 05:47:28 PM
LOL shows how bad that movie was :p

ReaperFett
Apr 5th, 2003, 04:29:15 AM
A highlight in modern cinema! :D

Jedieb
Apr 5th, 2003, 02:29:43 PM
Carr, that's a GREAT list of wretched movies. Leonard Part 6, that could have easily been on mine. Cannonball I was HYSTERICAL, but the sequel was just god awful. Some of the scenes were just unwatchable. The cameo by Sinatra at the end showed he knew to keep his distance from such a horrible waste of celluloid. I cry just thinking about it.......

HH was just such a huge bomb. I saw it and I don't think I laughed once. It just wasn't funny. A waste of Willis, Coburn, McDowell, and Danny A.

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians! I'VE GOT TO SEE THAT!

ReaperFett
Apr 5th, 2003, 03:06:32 PM
HH bombed because it was ahead of it's time :)

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 5th, 2003, 09:37:49 PM
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians is a good movie for a laugh, I mean the acting is horrible and some of it is just stupid you have to laugh through it, I actually saw it on MST3K they made the movie enjoyable. I still think the worst movie was Robot Monster I saw some of that POC

Here is the IMDB summary
Ro-Man, an alien that looks remarkably like a gorilla in a diving helmet, has destroyed all but six people on the planet Earth. He spends the entire film trying to finish off these survivors, but complications arise when he falls for the young woman in the group. Love that bubble machine!

I actually didn't see that on MST3K I wish I had.

Also here is trivia about the film

When this film came out, it was so universally scorned and derided by reviewers that director Phil Tucker (I) found it impossible to get any further work in the film business at all. Depressed and dejected, and believing that his acrimonious relationship with the film's producers resulted in their blackballing him in the industry, he attempted suicide by shooting himself. He missed.

ReaperFett
Apr 6th, 2003, 05:30:05 AM
You're kidding! :lol

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 6th, 2003, 11:43:51 AM
No I wish I was, got that from IMDB it does sound like something that is made up but I guess not, shows how bad that film was.

Jedieb
Apr 7th, 2003, 10:57:50 AM
HH bombed because it bored audiences. Boredom is never ahead of its time. It would stink up the B.O. in any era. :)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/HudsonHawk-1035500/

Tomatoes only has a handful of reviews but I remember the movie getting slammed left and right, by audiences and critics. I ignored them both and saw it anyway. :zzz

JMK
Apr 7th, 2003, 11:04:53 AM
I agree. I thought it was terrible.

ReaperFett
Apr 7th, 2003, 11:06:01 AM
It did dog window jokes ahead of its time :)

Shawn
Apr 7th, 2003, 03:29:06 PM
Here we go... a list from me: http://www.ymdb.com/user_top20_view.asp?usersid=6425

I feel confident about most everything on the list. I had to go back and add-in Daredevil simply because, upon reflection, I enjoyed it just about as much as The Crow (which is fairly high up on my list). Not saying that it's one of the best movie ever, just that I enjoyed it a lot.

I'm still working on my Worst Movie ever list... I just know I'm going to get in trouble for that. :)

ReaperFett
Apr 7th, 2003, 03:55:41 PM
WHyso? :)

Shawn
Apr 7th, 2003, 03:58:36 PM
Well, I included TPM, among others. I was simply too disappointed by it.

Interestingly enough, it seems that quite a few people have the LOTR movies on their worst movie list. :huh It seems pretty difficult to not like them, to me.

The list seems like a good idea, in theory, but doesn't seem to work. According to all their registered users, Spider-Man is a worse movie than Plan 9 from Outer Space. ;)

ReaperFett
Apr 7th, 2003, 03:59:21 PM
Yes, I think that warrants trouble!

;)

ReaperFett
Apr 7th, 2003, 04:05:27 PM
Interestingly enough, it seems that quite a few people have the LOTR movies on their worst movie list. It seems pretty difficult to not like them, to me.

Well, Id class TTT as an average movie. But bad? Pushing it a bit.

Figrin D'an
Apr 7th, 2003, 04:17:11 PM
Originally posted by Shawn
Interestingly enough, it seems that quite a few people have the LOTR movies on their worst movie list. :huh It seems pretty difficult to not like them, to me.

You'd be surprised... there are some hardcore Tolkien fans out there whom absolutely hate Jackson's films, and they are quite vocal about it. I've talked to a few... personally, I don't think many of their arguments hold water, but most are adamant about their stance that the films are a disgrace to the books. There's a few people out there that even go so far as to say that the Ralph Bakshi animated monstrosity is better than Jackson's version.

Well, I included TPM, among others. I was simply too disappointed by it.

Blasphemer!

;)

j/k

I wouldn't put TPM on my worst list, but it wouldn't come close to my best list either. A combination of not being as disappointed with it as some, and that I've simply seen too many films that I can classify as far, far worse... (like The Crippled Masters and Surf Nazis Must Die).

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Apr 7th, 2003, 06:25:39 PM
I loved the Crippled Masters :cry

And while LotR films have been good, they leave alot to be desired. Definitely in the middle of the pack for me...about par for TPM