PDA

View Full Version : Good heavens, that's a lotta snow!

Darth Viscera
Feb 17th, 2003, 06:59:19 AM
See attached.

For those of you who don't know, I'm in Washington D.C.

It's been snowing since Saturday, right now I think it's up to 24" (0.65 meters for you EU people). That tree-like mound of snow growing out of our backyard table is not man-made....the darn thing must be a yard tall by now. Frankly, I'm surprised that the flimsy little table is still up

It's nice, that snow. It just smooths everything out in the most natural way possible to make way for more snow.

Quite a few people yesterday evening made the mistake of going out on Interstate 81, and they've been stuck there ever since. 100 miles worth of cars - stuck for 12 hours. Yeesh! I guess they didn't get any sleep.

And it's still pouring snow. Ahhhh, snow. So cozy. However, that darn snow has prevented us from getting a real night for a solid week now. The snow gets stuck in the atmosphere or something and reflects off the snow on the ground, creating an eery orange glow. Even at 2am, it gets as bright outside as during the day. You can look at your watch without having to use a light.

Admiral Lebron
Feb 17th, 2003, 09:06:18 AM
Thats why night sledding is great. There is a five feet pile in my front yard from shovelling...

James Prent
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:00:46 AM
My alarm clock woke me up today telling me about the blizzard in the east. You guys keep warm ok?

And I'm jealous. We got snow tonight too, but only on the mountains. Darn NW weather! Its just rainy here.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 17th, 2003, 01:38:54 PM
They are having blizzard conditions up in New York, I am lucky I am in South Carolina, all I have seen is a little bit of ice.

Princess Sunflower
Feb 17th, 2003, 02:19:32 PM
Here is NJ where I live it's been snowing since around 8:00 last nite. A state of emergency has been declared so the Governor can call out the National Guard to help with the snow removal and get Federal Aid.

The snow is past the bumpers on our cars and the only way out of the house is through the garage door cuz of the drifting snow.
We probably have around 18 inches and it's still coming down very hard. We could get as much as 2 feet before it's done with. Parts of West Virginia got over 4 feet I heard.

It really sux though that it happened on a Holiday for retail stores. President's Day is a huge Sale Day in the US.

Now we have another use for all the duct tape and plastic - we can cover our cars over with it so the snow doesn't freeze over on it!

JMK
Feb 17th, 2003, 02:19:37 PM
What is this snow (sp?) that everyone seems to be talking about?:p

CMJ
Feb 17th, 2003, 02:22:37 PM
Snow? What's that? ;)

I don't think it's snowed in LA for 100 years. ;) Back where I'm originally from in Texas it snowed occasionally, about once every 2-3 years.

JonathanLB
Feb 17th, 2003, 03:10:41 PM
Yeah, LOL, "snow?! WTF? What is SNOW?"

Actually we had a taxi cab driver in Mexico who asked that, he was not joking either, but he did know. Basically, my dad said something about snow and he was like, "Snow...? OH, snow, snow, yeah..." lol, it was hilarious. My dad was like, "Haha, you never see that here, *to my mom* the guy's never heard of snow even." I was like, "Hell yeah, that's awesome! I wish I'd never heard of snow." ;)

Weather conditions in Oregon are mild, i.e. they don't suck as hard as the East Coast. We get tons of rain, but snow? Not likely. It'll happen once a year maybe but it doesn't even stay on the ground once a year. It'll snow and just disappear as it hits the ground. It never gets colder than 30 degrees really, so if it does snow then it's about 31 or 32. The most I rememer is maybe 4 inches of snow, and that is A LOT, what is this 24 inches crap? Is this Alaska?! 4 inches is considered a ton of snow, 24 is just unreasonable, lol.

School is always cancelled if you got 3-4 inches of snow, heck it's been cancelled before with 1-2.

I don't know why anyone would live in a place where it snows. I can't wait to get to Los Angeles and never go back to these silly locations. I could die a happy man if all I ever saw was 75 degrees and sun for the rest of my days.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 17th, 2003, 03:18:02 PM
It hardly ever snows down here maybe once every three years and then its no more than 3 inches.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 17th, 2003, 03:25:16 PM
snow? i dont believe this frozen rain thing even exists. hell, just plain rain is rare enough here!

Figrin D'an
Feb 17th, 2003, 03:37:14 PM
Originally posted by JonathanLB
School is always cancelled if you got 3-4 inches of snow, heck it's been cancelled before with 1-2.

Damn, that's pathetic. Around here, the only way the schools close are if the buses physically won't start or are blocked in. We've had instances of 36 inches of snow and the schools have still be open the next day. The last time I remember the schools closing in winter was a couple of years ago, and that was for temperatures of -60 F with the wind chill... "dangerous to living tissue" conditions.

Sanis Prent
Feb 17th, 2003, 03:44:48 PM
Its about the same down here. 3-4 inches will close schools. Simply because we lack the equipment or infrastructure to quickly deal with accumulation.

JMK
Feb 17th, 2003, 04:50:19 PM
Sissies. :P
Living in the Great White North, I have never had a day cancelled, school or work due to snow. The only natural phenomena that has ever crippled this area is the Ice Storm of the winter of '97. That was insane let me tell you. Worse than any rainstorm or snowfall ever in human history. :)

CMJ
Feb 17th, 2003, 05:37:03 PM
Worse than any rainstorm in human history? Whatever. :p

JonathanLB
Feb 17th, 2003, 05:53:02 PM
"Damn, that's pathetic."

Yeah, haha, you think that's bad? We had school cancelled once when I was in 7th grade because of the THREAT of snow! It never actually did snow, so there was nothing on the ground at all.

In high school, they rarely cancelled. I only had two cancelled days, both in my freshman year, and then I had two more half-days (or just late starts), one in junior year and I think one in senior year. Ironic because I most needed them in sophomore year.

We had about 3 cancelled days in 8th grade because of the worst flood in about 100 years in Oregon. It just kept raining and raining and water levels rose higher than the river would allow, flooding nearby businesses and causing power loss in many places because of the huge wind storm that was of course at the same time, lol. At my last house, we lost power for 4 days, our generator wasn't working, and we had to move into a hotel for a day or two. That was the year I had my birthday on a day off school cuz of that, then my presents were all electronic.

At the current house, we have a generator that is manufactured by the same company that created the power generator for St. Vincent's Hospital near us. Ours is just as powerful, too. It runs on natural gas, so a line connects to the generator and as long as it remains fueled then we have infinite power regardless of city problems. Out this far, you need a generator because our area is last priority for them to fix. The water is all from our well, too, so we never depend on city water either.

MasterPewter
Feb 17th, 2003, 06:20:56 PM
I live in San Antonio TX we get all worked up when there is somthing brewing in Canada where it might in 3 weeks to possibley make it sorta close to a predicament where it has the possibility to create flurries. the last snow we had was in 1985 where it was only 3 inches it stuck around for 2 days. Today it is a nice 70 degrees out side.

(flurries for those who don't know are the retarded cousin of snow its more like really cold drizzle)

Darth Viscera
Feb 17th, 2003, 06:33:53 PM
Originally posted by JMK
Sissies. :P
Living in the Great White North, I have never had a day cancelled, school or work due to snow. The only natural phenomena that has ever crippled this area is the Ice Storm of the winter of '97. That was insane let me tell you. Worse than any rainstorm or snowfall ever in human history. :)

Oh good lord, don't remind me of that blizzard! We were out of power for 4 days, and there was ice everywhere. It was 50 degrees in our house because no power=no heater. We couldn't open the refrigerator for all that time, and there were candles everywhere.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 17th, 2003, 09:48:50 PM
Brrr!

Its like 46 degrees here, not cold, and RAIN EVERYWHERE! I had to swim to my car after work I SWEAR!

:mischief

Diego Van Derveld
Feb 17th, 2003, 09:52:55 PM
The worst we got was back in 93, when a big nasty blizzard dropped over 2 feet of snow on us. Six feet in the drifts. That stayed around FOREVER...and it was a MARCH blizzard.

Doc Milo
Feb 17th, 2003, 10:05:05 PM
Saturday morning, I'm in Jamaica on my honeymoon. My new wife and I had breakfast overlooking Montego Bay, just off the beach. It was in the nineties.

Today, I'm mired in two feet of snow.

I go from white sandy beaches, to white frosty snow in just about 36 hours or so!

It snowed the day after we left of our honeymoon. We told one of the tour guides (on horseback riding through the water, bareback) that it was snowing in New York right after we left. He said, "Snow ... only snow I saw was in my refrigerator."

Darth Viscera
Feb 17th, 2003, 10:28:03 PM
Originally posted by Diego Van Derveld
The worst we got was back in 93, when a big nasty blizzard dropped over 2 feet of snow on us. Six feet in the drifts. That stayed around FOREVER...and it was a MARCH blizzard.

I was driving through Alabama at that time, we were using spring break to take a trip to New Orleans. We were pretty much stuck on the highway, got lucky and we were able to stay at a Holiday Inn which had 1 room left. When we went to Shoney's, they said they were out of everything except for water and coffee.

Diego Van Derveld
Feb 17th, 2003, 10:36:30 PM
The best memory from that was going out in the yard with a jug of snow-cone syrup. Made the biggest snow-cone ever!