PDA

View Full Version : Talk to Her

CMJ
Feb 14th, 2003, 07:26:18 PM
I guess this is for Jonathan, since I'm figuring no one else saw it. I saw this today, and thought it was marginal. I was pretty intrigued by the story and thought the actors did a fine job, yet I could never really get into it.

It was a bit too high brow for me I guess. I do understand how the writer's nominated it though, it had some great dialogue. I didn't really think it was a director's picture, so I'm not as clear why the Director's branch felt compelled to nominate it.

JonathanLB
Feb 14th, 2003, 07:45:55 PM
Actually, it did have some really good dialogue, a few really funny lines. To me, that was hardly a saving grace. I still thought it was below average work, offensive in parts, even, both to my sensibilities and intelligence, lol.

I liked the line, "I just got finished taking an elephant-sized DUMP," LOL, and this coming from a GIRL. Oh my god... I would like to think that no hot girls, at least, talk that way. It just seems too wrong for me to comprehend, haha.

The acting in the film was good, too, but I was not interested in the movie at all. I thought the premise was lame, the director is a hack who tries to impress everyone with going way overboard, and he's not a revolutionary or influential filmmaker at all. Nobody in the U.S. copies his style or cares about it (other than the critics), so it really seems useless to me.

Someone wake me up when one of these countries has a REAL film movement ala German expressionism, Soviet formalism, French New Wave, or whatever else. Right now I only see quality work coming from Asia, namely Hong Kong action.

CMJ
Feb 14th, 2003, 07:49:37 PM
Eh, obviously other Director's like him. Since the Director's Branch of the Academy(pretty selective membership) nominated him.

I didn't think there were just a few interesting lines, I thought there were many. The film was peppered with them. I did find the premise interesting, yet at the same time I never really got into the film.

I'd say about 2 1/2 stars for me.

JonathanLB
Feb 14th, 2003, 08:02:55 PM
There were a lot of good lines, but it all didn't add up to a good movie by any means, not in my book anyway.

The Quiet American opened here this weekend, FINALLY, I want to see it. I also was going to try to get out and see City of God.

CMJ
Feb 14th, 2003, 08:19:18 PM
Well for me it had good dialogue, interesting characters(and well acted), and a wierd(in a good way) storyline. On the minus side, I could never really totally get into the film. I was kind of detached throughout most of it.

When I take the good with the not so good...I get a 2.5 star effort. I wouldn't call it bad, just slightly above average. Again this is all IMHO.

I'm also planning on seeing "The Quiet American" as soon as I can.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 14th, 2003, 09:34:47 PM
Was this the weird movie that Jon mentioned where I guy shrunk himself and started talking to a woman's privates??

CMJ
Feb 14th, 2003, 09:36:41 PM
Their is a sequnce where something like that happens, yes. It's a movie within a movie moment, and it is bizarre.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 14th, 2003, 09:43:22 PM
It sounds it does that scene make any sense.

CMJ
Feb 14th, 2003, 09:46:43 PM
Does it make sense? Well like I said, it's a movie within a movie moment. A character is describing what he saw in a film...and the story he tells(which is what we see) is the segment you're asking about.

It's trying to be a profound statement on men I think(I'm kidding I have no clue). ;) It was bizarre, but strangely funny. I admit I laughed.

JonathanLB
Feb 14th, 2003, 10:38:32 PM
I didn't think it was funny at all. People in my theater laughed and I wondered what the hell was wrong with them, no offense CMJ, LOL! :)

I just put my head in my hands and shook my head, thinking, "Why God, WHY?! Does humanity have NO DIGNITY?!" Ugg...

I gave it 1.5 stars, which I felt was very generous. I'm such a kind and giving person. hehe.

CMJ
Feb 14th, 2003, 10:40:02 PM
None taken. As I sat there chuckling I wondered why I thought it was so funny. :D

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 14th, 2003, 10:48:46 PM
I might check it out on tape to see what I think, it does sound kind of wierd.