PDA

View Full Version : Jedi's in Britain

jjwr
Feb 13th, 2003, 09:56:27 AM
This has probably already been discussed but I Just caught it on IWon News and thought it was pretty funny.

Jedis Become a Force to Be Counted

Feb 13, 10:19 am ET

LONDON (Reuters) - It's official -- "Star Wars" has created almost 400,000 Jedis in Britain.
Over 390,000 people wrote "Jedi" on their 2001 census form, more than those who registered their faith as Jewish, Buddhist or Sikh in the optional question on religion, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said on Thursday.

The Jedis declared their belief after a campaign on the Internet asked people to "do it because you love Star Wars" or "just to annoy people."

"Star Wars devotees stated their faith as 'Jedi' in the mistaken belief that if 10,000 did so it would be recognized as an official religion," a spokesman for the ONS said.

The census question on religion offered a series of tick-boxes for the major religions in the UK, including a free space for "any other religion."

In the films, the Jedi knights are a noble order of protectors unified by their belief in a universal power called the Force.

CMJ
Feb 13th, 2003, 09:58:36 AM
That is awesome. :D

JonathanLB
Feb 13th, 2003, 11:06:19 AM
Thanks for posting that!

That's freakin' awesome. Makes me proud to be a Star Wars fan, lol. I remember when Luke Skywalker beat out Jesus Christ, Mother Theresa, Michael Jordan, and some other person as the most influential hero of our time in some poll, published results in Entertainment Weekly. Now THAT was tight! :)

I was thinking the other day about, say, if you removed She-Wolf of London from existence, what would change? Well probably not much, 'cept it wouldn't be on that double-disc set with Werewolf of London ;)

Now if you removed Star Wars from existence, like let's say that Lucas died in that car crash and there simply was NO Star Wars, or anything else he made, then what would happen? You'd lose thousands of jokes thrown across hundreds of movies, and in TV shows, and you would lose perhaps hundreds of thousands or millions of relationships formed from Star Wars message boards, conventions (like me meeting Neil), etc. Then I don't know that I would have been interested in filmmaking, because Star Wars is what got me there, and there has to be other people in the industry who may have been affected in the same way. Also, perhaps entire film movements (the blockbuster era) would have been weakened, special effects as we know them would not have existed, destroying the chance for films like Jurassic Park, even maybe T2, etc.

Just removing those 5 movies so far would basically damage popular culture to a spectacular degree.

Cirrsseeto Quez
Feb 13th, 2003, 11:26:36 AM
I remember when Luke Skywalker beat out Jesus Christ, Mother Theresa, Michael Jordan, and some other person as the most influential hero of our time in some poll, published results in Entertainment Weekly. Now THAT was tight!

No, that's just incredibly stupid. Not the best sign of the times, IMO. :\

JonathanLB
Feb 13th, 2003, 05:31:45 PM
No, not stupid at all, just another example of Star Wars' popularity. Plus it was obviously a tongue-in-cheek poll.

The idea was who IS the most influential figure in the lives of youth? It polled teenagers and young adults I believe and Luke Skywalker beat out the rest. There is nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

I don't find inspiration in Jesus, no offense to anyone, I am a much bigger fan of Star Wars, whether or not Luke really exists (he doesn't in the "physical sense," but that seems picky because I know Luke better than I know Jesus, so which is more REAL? To me, the answer is Luke -- I know more about him and can more readily sympathize with him).

As for Mother Theresa, I do not identify with her. She may be the greatest saint ever, or whatever, but I'm not a saint, nor is Luke, so I identify more with Luke, then.

Sanis Prent
Feb 13th, 2003, 06:20:05 PM
So, a fictional character is more real to you than two actual figures of history? Right...

JMK
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:09:17 PM
While I laughed at it for a second then gave SW its props for being THAT popular, it is ridiculous. Someone said it above, it is a sign of the times, and these are very sad times if that is any indication.

Sanis Prent
Feb 13th, 2003, 07:15:35 PM
Not to push religion or anything, just from personal readings...I've been getting a bit into the bible of recent. Its actually interesting to see some of the stuff Jesus did. In contrast to the "total nice guy" that churches make Him out to be, He never shys from conflict, and often seeks it out. The only difference is that instead of resorting to violence, He uses His wit. Its pretty inspiring to me, regardless of my inherent faith. At least to me, He's more like William Wallace, and less like Mr. Rogers.

Admiral Lebron
Feb 13th, 2003, 09:05:32 PM
Sure. I could careless about J.C. So I won't say anything more on that subject, but I think its cool about SW... thats freaky.

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 13th, 2003, 09:16:48 PM
Originally posted by jjwr
This has probably already been discussed but I Just caught it on IWon News and thought it was pretty funny.

LONDON (Reuters) - It's official -- "Star Wars" has created almost 400,000 Jedis in Britain.
Over 390,000 people wrote "Jedi" on their 2001 census form, more than those who registered their faith as Jewish, Buddhist or Sikh in the optional question on religion, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said on Thursday.

The Jedis declared their belief after a campaign on the Internet asked people to "do it because you love Star Wars" or "just to annoy people."

"Star Wars devotees stated their faith as 'Jedi' in the mistaken belief that if 10,000 did so it would be recognized as an official religion," a spokesman for the ONS said.

The census question on religion offered a series of tick-boxes for the major religions in the UK, including a free space for "any other religion."

In the films, the Jedi knights are a noble order of protectors unified by their belief in a universal power called the Force.

what a bunch of morons

JMK
Feb 13th, 2003, 09:22:40 PM
You know, I'll let the people who did "to annoy" people go on this. The ones who did it and were serious about it need professional help.

CMJ
Feb 13th, 2003, 09:48:07 PM
:lol :lol

Loki Ahmrah
Feb 13th, 2003, 09:59:09 PM
I'm not too bothered by this at all. If a portion of these voters are serious then at least they try to live a good life. They are harmless besides Christianity can equally be described as ficticious as the Force for obvious reasons.

I am a Christian so this is not a bashing but rather a fairly practical observation; those who did it to annoy are sad, that is true but those who are serious, leave them be because if they take the Jedi Code seriously then they will be good people. Why all the fuss?

Cirrsseeto Quez
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:19:12 PM
Because they're basing their metaphysical exisistence on something that can make L. Ron Hubbard's Scientology look respectable?

Dirjj Mordrai
Feb 14th, 2003, 02:41:28 AM
Well, heck, George Lucas is alot more filthy rich than L. Ron Hubbard. At least I think so. Maybe he should create the Golden Church of Jedi Philosophy. :lol

I think there is a limit to fan devotion and this one kinda crossed the line.

ReaperFett
Feb 14th, 2003, 03:21:01 AM
I dont care. I really dont. If they were joking, they would only have put a dash through it anyway. Their votes wont count, so why are they morons? It's a group of people following similar beliefs :)

jjwr
Feb 14th, 2003, 07:06:01 AM
I thought it was funny, in the same situation I might have done the same thing just for laughs.

jjwr
Feb 14th, 2003, 07:06:17 AM
On second thought, wonder how many votes Sith got :)

CMJ
Feb 14th, 2003, 09:42:15 AM
On second thought, wonder how many votes Sith got :)

Good one! :D

Evil Hobgoblin
Feb 14th, 2003, 11:30:58 AM
Britain seems to have had a change of heart, then. I recall far more British accents from the Empire's ranks than I do from among the Jedi or the Republic. :)

Sanis Prent
Feb 14th, 2003, 11:39:41 AM
I'm kinda blah about America's Armed Forces recruitment commercials. "Army of One" BLAH...lame. I really think we need something cooler. England has such a great opportunity to bolster its ranks. Can you imagine seeing a commercial like this on the BBC:

Enlist now, serve the Empire! Help win honour for Britain, and eliminate Rebel scum, wherever it may strike.

Seeing as a sizeable majority "hot spots" around the globe were at one point British colonies....this could work :)

Dae Jinn
Feb 14th, 2003, 11:42:36 AM
:lol

ReaperFett
Feb 14th, 2003, 11:57:29 AM
"We created Iraq, now join us in retaking Iraq!" ;)

Sanis Prent
Feb 14th, 2003, 12:21:34 PM
:)

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 14th, 2003, 01:17:37 PM
I read in the paper today that they are just classing people who put Jedi as a religion as Atheists (sp?), which is probably true in the first place since if you follow Christianity or whatever I'm assuming you'd put that down as your religion

so it really won't affect the results of the census very much :)

ReaperFett
Feb 14th, 2003, 01:38:28 PM
I still find Aethists to be an ironic think. A group of people with similar beliefs, but not a religion ;)

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 14th, 2003, 02:13:45 PM
just because you think the same as someone else doesn't mean you're of the same religion :p that's like saying football fans are a religion of their own :mneh

Sanis Prent
Feb 14th, 2003, 02:21:20 PM
I prefer to think of that as a denominational subdivision...because God won't hear heathen prayers in Auburn or Knoxville. :D

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 14th, 2003, 04:41:13 PM
I just find it funny, I think most of them did it as a joke, I wouldn't look at it beyond that.

J'hrea Alsac'lynol
Feb 19th, 2003, 02:24:56 PM

Though I love Star Wars, I just think this sounds funny. Lol

Yet, I think it's pretty cool for someone to do this, but it's still pretty funny to me.

:D :)

JediBoricua
Feb 20th, 2003, 09:35:59 PM
I would do it!

The only thing I practice religiously (by that I mean constantly) is Star Wars. I read books, post in forums, play in two d20 Star Wars RPG and for god sakes I am part of the "High Council" of a Star Wars Fan Club that gets together almost once every week!

The only thing I don't do is light candles in the name of Yoda!

May the Force be with You...Amen!