PDA

View Full Version : NBA All Star Game

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 8th, 2003, 04:58:42 PM
I figured I make a post about this because I was able to go see the All Stars practice in Atlanta today. I live about 3 hours away so I decided to get tickets to the NBA Jam which is basically a fan fest of the NBA but the reason I wanted to go was see the players practice. It was really interesting especially the media circus though most of it was around Jordan, they covered him more than anybody else it seemed to me. It was pretty cool to see I got to see all the players, one thing I couldn't believe how tall that Yao ming is woah he was standing next to Duncan and Duncan looked short compared to him.

Admiral Lebron
Feb 8th, 2003, 05:36:33 PM
How tall exactly is Yao?

JonathanLB
Feb 8th, 2003, 05:43:23 PM
9 feet tall

Admiral Lebron
Feb 8th, 2003, 06:08:51 PM
Really?

Taylor Millard
Feb 8th, 2003, 08:06:27 PM
Yao Ming #11 | Center | Houston Rockets
Height: 7-5 Weight: 296 Born: Sep 12, 1980 - Shanghai, China College: None

7 foot 5 not 9 foot :p

JonathanLB
Feb 8th, 2003, 08:09:35 PM
Don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is made up! :D

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 8th, 2003, 10:25:53 PM
Compared to Iverson he looked 9 feet tall :p

JMK
Feb 8th, 2003, 10:46:11 PM
That reverse jam that Richardson pulled off was SICK.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 8th, 2003, 10:52:35 PM
I know it was unbelievable.

Jedieb
Feb 9th, 2003, 09:57:48 AM
I saw the dunks and I just wasn't that blown away. I'm just wondering whether or not Jordan will start. Several guys have offered and I think that Carter would be willing to give up his spot, but I don't think Money wants it that way. He'll probably end up most of the game anyway. He's the one everyone wants to see.

JMK
Feb 9th, 2003, 10:55:02 AM
Carter said he wouldn't give up his spot because it would be a slap in the face to the fans who voted for him. Personally I would have given it up to MJ, but if the fans boo him today when he's announced as a starter, the fans have no one to boo but themselves. THEY VOTED HIM THERE!!! Injury reports are not a secret, if the info is there that Carter has been hurt for 3/4 of the season and you still vote him in, then you're the stupid one.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 9th, 2003, 01:23:33 PM
Actually Mcgrady said he would let Jordan start in his place, but Jordan said no and he agreed with what Carter said.

JMK
Feb 9th, 2003, 01:25:26 PM
Iverson said he would give his spot as well.

JonathanLB
Feb 9th, 2003, 03:20:07 PM
"Injury reports are not a secret, if the info is there that Carter has been hurt for 3/4 of the season and you still vote him in, then you're the stupid one."

AMEN. Yeah, exactly!

This is the problem when you have the fans vote. This reminds me of that saying: "Democracy gives the people what they want, but not what they need." Haha, but oh well :) We all need to see Jordan, booya!

That dunk was AWESOME, Jedieb! :)

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 9th, 2003, 08:32:22 PM
I was shocked Carter gave up his spot, and that Jordan said okay. Still Jordan looks like he is putting a lot of pressure on himself he shot awful, only has 6 points on like 14 shots. The West is winning 55-52, I think the West should prevail, they are defintely shooting a lot better than the east.

JMK
Feb 9th, 2003, 09:45:59 PM
What a wide open game. Carter gives up his spot, and MJ stinks up the joint. Still, I don't think that was the point in Carter passing up his spot. People want to see MJ start one last all star game, and they got what they wanted. Was he worthy of being a starter this time around? Probably not, as 4/14 would indicate, but a nice way to go out nonetheless.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 9th, 2003, 10:51:54 PM
A great game the first double OT game in All Star History, actually the East should have won they blew it twice, first in regulation they blew a 10 point lead with 2 minutes left, terrible clock managment there. And then Jordan hit a go ahead bucket with 3 seconds left than Oneal fouls Bryant and he ties the game. After that the East seemed worn out and Garnett and Duncan just over ran them. Garnett did have a great game he was amazing at times. Have to say its one of the best NBA all star games I have seen in a while.

JonathanLB
Feb 10th, 2003, 04:18:30 AM
My applause goes to Jordan for hitting what should have been the game-winning shot (you suck, Jermaine, go home to Indiana). I was very impressed by the game, lots of fun, unlike usual.

I like All-Star Weekend, it's a ton of fun, but someday I'd like to go there for real, for the whole thing.

Sometime when I have the money and time, and I'm a famous film director, hehe, then I will do a lot of travelling to events I want to see, i.e. a Super Bowl in a sunny weather area (like this time in San Diego), the Pro Bowl in Hawaii (heck yeah), and the All-Star Game, then maybe at least some of The Masters (golf).

Anyway no movie directors work "normal" years. I would imagine working for like 6 months super hard, 12 hours a day or more, then taking 3 months off, hehe.

Jamel Croko'yn
Feb 10th, 2003, 04:27:57 AM
It was a good game and I applaud Mariah Carey for going on TV with that skirt, my pants like making tents, lol j/p.

I liked the whole game and everything came out classic, as long as O'neal didn't do that, it would be a fantastic game for Micheal Jordan if you didn't look at the stats. I dont know why they always give the MVP award to the winning teams top scorer, I mean it wasn't as if Iverson didn't do anything this time. He had what? 35 Points, only 2 under the adversary's top scorer.

Well anyways, I was pulling for the East to win this time, but I guess I didn't get to to see it. I liked every aspect of the game down to the last bucket othr then the stupid O'neal play, and the whole weekend was some great stuff.

I liked the dunk from Richardson, it was the first time I jumped out of my seat since the last Carter dunk in the contest.

See ya next year guys, I feel for MJ when he made that speech, I would nearly cry too--hard feeling knowing you'd leave a game you'd love, as well as being cheered on that way. Coming form a situation like he did, with minor game in high school and not so spectulor to becoming the greatest in all of basketball history.

I wonder how those two teams feel about their picks they had before Jordan, they probably feel crunchy now knowing they lost out on getting best ever.

Idiots, lol...

Well I give love to my man MJ, and I hope he ends up in the playoffs this year.

Peace

JonathanLB
Feb 10th, 2003, 06:18:54 AM
I had to watch for Jordan. Even though everyone knows my dreams of being a filmmaker, or at least actively involved in the industry, my greatest idol is actually Michael Jordan. I have always respected him the most, he is almost super-human in his abilities, he was a joy to watch throughout the 1990's (I wasn't watching b-ball before that), he gave me personally many great moments to remember. I still remember watching Championship #6 while in a hotel room in New York City as he hit the game-winning shot.

He has some of the best quotes of any athlete or person in general, he is the most driven person besides Tiger Woods I have ever seen. His motivation and dedication to his sport is unequaled. One reason I love Woods is because he has the same fire, the same passion, the take-no-prisoners, I-will-be-the-best attitude.

I respect anyone who is good at their profession, but I don't have nearly as much respect for someone who is satisfied with anything less than what is possible for them to achieve. Woods never entered the game of golf wanting to be a good golfer. HELL NO, he entered wanting to be THE GREATEST golfer of all time. He is partially the best because he believes he could be the best. That's sometimes what it takes, to dream of a goal is to start the process of realizing it. If you don't see it as possible in your mind's eye, it is not possible for you, at least. I'd rather fail at a nearly impossible task than succeed at a simple one. I set my goals too high every single weekend and I never achieve them. Frustrating? Sure, and that's why I come back every weekend with more passion than before to see if I can do it this time, and it just drives my work higher and higher. One term I write 235 pages and impressed, so what next term? Well of course, it must be beaten, even though I have 18 credits, not 16.

Jordan has that same work ethic that Woods has now. The two are identical except they play different sports. Jordan wasn't just born destined to be the greatest basketball player the game has ever seen. No, he developed his potential. Rashweed Wallace, for instance, has a lot more potential than he shows on the court because he lacks the motivation. I cannot fully respect a man like that. Jordan, however, believed in the possible, believed he could fly, and after seeing some of his dunks throughout this career, I, too, believed he could fly! To me, he represents the realization of impossible dreams with incredible work ethic, and that's what impresses me the most. I am not as impressed with mere genius. It is a gift that one is born having. Motivation and dedication are developed through habit, not just genetics, and people who show those traits like Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods deserve my utmost respect and admiration.

In one commentary with Jordan, after talking about being cut from his high school basketball team, he said something along the lines of, "I wanted to prove that they made a mistake." He proved it.

Also, I adopt Jordan methods in my philosophy, too. He uses any slight, real or perceived, to drive him and give him motivation. I do the same. The more someone says I cannot do something, I will not do something, the more I know that I will and the harder I strive. It's just feeding the fire, really, doesn't deter me at all. I only care what I know I will do. What everyone else thinks about it is irrelevant, though their comments very well may help me :)

I wonder if I would have been so successful in my writing without Mrs. Festine keeping me out of English II Accelerated. I mean, I was always motivated, but after that, I wanted revenge. I wanted to prove that she was wrong, and I did. My junior paper still remains as a model in the library years after I wrote it, a 301/300 (we got 10 bonus points for turning it in early), the highest grade of 92 students. So I salute Jordan, for I have learned a lot from his attitude, hard work, and dedication that can be applied anywhere, not just on the basketball court.

PS: Mariah Carrey is FRICKIN' HOT, lol. That skirt was AWESOME. My... god. Wow.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 10th, 2003, 02:03:22 PM
I think Oneal was just playing too agressive there, still if he hadn't contested Bryant could have hit that shot anyway so he doesn't win either way then. Its not like he creamed Bryant he just him on the arm, still the refs normaly call that type of foul all the time now.

CMJ
Feb 10th, 2003, 02:12:44 PM
I didn't see much of the game because I was writing for a competition but I saw the highlights. Bryant almost missed the first free throw, then the game woulda ended as it should've. ;)

(This is coming from someone who was never a Jordan fan too)

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 10th, 2003, 02:30:04 PM
Well I was never much of a Jordan fan either, I liked the Pistons in the 80 and early 90's (I was a big Isiah fan) so I grew to hate the Bulls, I respect his abilities, but I was glad that Kobe got fouled :)

JonathanLB
Feb 10th, 2003, 05:22:43 PM
I love Jordan. He beat my Blazers in the finals that one year, I was actually really sad about that (I was like 10), but I became a fan shortly afterwards...