PDA

View Full Version : Somewhat Philosophical Rant of the Day

JonathanLB
Feb 7th, 2003, 02:48:04 AM
Ok as usual I have nobody to complain at because I'm ticked at the people on AIM right now, thus my rant, and it has a lot to do with philosophy today. Feel free to add your rant below mine, maybe it would make me feel like other people have been similarly TICKED OFF lately.

Ok so I get this stupid ethics paper back, truly a paper I put a lot of effort into and wrote two days early (impressive because I usually start things late, haha) and then I read it over twice, once the night I wrote it, once the next day, and well, once as I was writing it I guess too, so really three times. Anyway it was very well written, I'll say that, and the teacher agreed, only he called it somewhat off topic, which for NUMEROUS reasons that I spelled out in a huge e-mail to him (and got a reply) is utter BULL. The paper was entirely on topic and relevant and I think he was very unclear about what he wanted if he thinks that my paper strayed from that.

Anyway, worst grade I've ever gotten on a paper in college, needless to say, but I think it's the worst score on a major paper since about sophomore year. Even then, I do not remember any bad papers I wrote sophomore year because I had 13 A's and 1 B, and that was in computer science, which had nothing to do with writing. That would put me back to Freshman year, yet I had a 4.0 first semester, though a B in English and Religion 2nd semester. I think maybe I wrote a B paper that semester, but B-? I don't know, doesn't seem like it. I do not think I have ever gotten a B- on a paper in my life, actually.

Ugg, it was very frustrating, not because of the grade, but because I am such an interested writer and philosophy student that it is a knock to BOTH of those, and that's just unfair, especially because it accomplished the goals that I was being asked to write about, then it was also well written (he even wrote "great structure," "clear and concise," and "well written," but "slightly off topic," whatever).

That was only the first part of a terrible day. I had a midterm next in PHL 201, my intro class, which is hella easy. I mean REALLY EASY. I studied 20 minutes for that test. If I didn't get a 49 out of 47 (there were two bonus questions), then I really will be shocked and VERY mad, lol. It was seriously that easy. I'd say there is no way I could have missed a point, really. I'd probably bet on it straight across if given the chance, haha

So that was nice, I guess, but I felt nothing about it. I have never felt so little about a test. I didn't feel nervous for one minute before I took it, I was not hardly even thinking about it when I was taking it, let alone was I nervous, and I just simply felt nothing, not even the normal good feeling of acing a test. It was very blank. Perhaps because when you don't really have to study for something, there is no joy or gratification in doing well at it.

These philosophy classes lead to the next point, so I'm going to make a nice little transition here. Philosopher Immanuel Kant, who was a supporter of duty-ethics (and the main founder of these ideas), made up a rule called "The Categorical (Primary) Imperitive," which basically says "Treat people as ends, not as means." In other words, people are ends in and of themselves, not means to your own ends, for instance. That goes along with using someone for homework but not really showing any interest in them as a person (I've had this happen to me 100 times at least, lol), or whatever else you can imagine, like my next example.

So Ben, supposedly one of my best friends and my quadmate down at OSU, I think I have mentioned that the guy smokes weed like mad. We're not talking 2-3 times a week here people, we're talking 4-5 times per DAY. He is high ALL OF THE TIME. He set a goal to be high constantly before he started this term. Now I have before defended the use of marijuana (I believe it should be legal), but when you smoke 4-5 hits a day or whatever, that is the equivalent of about 20 cigs per day, very dangerous for your lungs. Anyway, it just isn't good, he is always just weird and rambling on and sleeps 12 hours a day or whatever. It's very disappointing, in my opinion, but does not affect his grades at all so there's no real reason to be concerned on his part at least.

Ok, so I have to go back a few days here. When I left for college again on Monday (I go home every four-day weekend; my classes are Tuesdays and Thursdays), my sister wanted to me buy her cigarettes and I refused because I said that although I believe she has the right to do what she will with her life, I will not help her in a habit that I think is not just disgusting but unhealty and dangerous. I don't think she should be smoking like she does, plain and simple, but if she wants to do it than she can find someone else to help her with that. Not me. So of course, I leave the bad guy. I made the ethical decision, there is almost no question abou that, but she sees things from her perspective, not from an ethical perspective, and has little use for ethical considerations anyway as she has already proven. So I'm the bad guy, but whatever.

Now last night, Ben gives me this package that is wrapped, a little one, to give to my sister and my sister had given me $20 to give to him. She told me she was paying him back for something. I didn't know any better, so I took it, and I gave it to him. That's when he gave me that package. I didn't know what was in it and he refused to tell me. Then he said it was cigarettes and I was NOT happy about this at all, but not wanting to be an <smallfont color={hovercolor}>-Censored-</smallfont> I was like, "Well I will bring it back with me this weekend but what gives here, seriously, I don't really like this." So I bring it back, and of course, it isn't cigarettes at all, need I even mention that? I don't know how i could be so naive except that she had just asked me for cigs, so I thought that is what they were and I still disliked the idea of basically being part of this transaction.

I told Ben tonight and my sister that I will not be doing any more of that nonsense. No matter what it is, he can send it via mail or drive it himself if he wants, but I better not know about it and I will not be part of it. I blocked 'em both on AIM, including my sister, I don't need to see her online anyway. Same goes with Ben. I'm sure I'll unblock them soon but not right now.

I just feel very much used by the whole situation. My sister only was anxious for me to come home so that I could give her what Ben gave to me, and then Ben didn't consider my safety or my ethical concerns in making me party to a CRIME, basically, and instead just thought about himself. I got nothing out of the whole matter, nor was I told about it, which is an even further disrespect to me, and I feel just lousy about the whole thing. It is insulting and rude and frankly makes me EXTREMELY angry at Ben, mostly, and my sister less so because I honestly don't think she knows better, but Ben does. My sister SHOULD know better. Ben DOES know better. There's a difference.

Anyway I guess that ends my rant, so I think I'm going to watch a movie. Sorry for airing my problems here, but maybe someone will find it amusing at least, hehe. It's always funny if it doesn't happen to you, that's a comedy principle. :)

I got Strike today from NetFlix (Eisenstein's first movie before The Battleship Potemkin) and also the special edition Starship Troopers two-disc DVD set (I bought it, finally).

Dutchy
Feb 7th, 2003, 04:55:58 AM
Originally posted by JonathanLB
Now I have before defended the use of marijuana (I believe it should be legal)

Come to Holland! :)

Diego Van Derveld
Feb 7th, 2003, 09:29:24 AM
One of my really close friends lives in Hamm, about a stone's throw from the border. He's always trying to get me to come over there :)

Dae Jinn
Feb 7th, 2003, 09:38:03 AM
Wait...are you complaining that you got a B- on a paper? o_O And, I hope no cops read your post, cos you just bascially confessed to being a mule :lol

JonathanLB
Feb 7th, 2003, 02:25:05 PM
Well you cannot be prosecuted retroactively for something that you say happened unless there is evidence of it, so no worries there, hehe.

Yes, a B- on a paper is frickin' terrible. I expect an A on every paper. The worst grade I got at LMU was an A- on a philosophy paper and that teacher was a very harsh grader, so I was happy with the A- because I knew it was an accurate representation of the paper rather than just an automatic A or whatever. He was right, in that case, that it deserved an A- because it was just every so slightly off from being ideal.

B-, though, was idiotic given that my paper was easily an A effort, but I am going to get this straightened out. Maybe after the rewrite here I can get a B+, but oh well, at least a B.

CMJ
Feb 7th, 2003, 06:53:26 PM
So is this a thread where we can rant about anything our heart desires? :p

JonathanLB
Feb 7th, 2003, 07:01:47 PM
Like, for instance, you could read my review of The Wizard of Oz and then rant about how long it took to read it and how you wish you had that 35 minutes back! :)

Dae Jinn
Feb 7th, 2003, 09:26:03 PM
Or, you could not :p

And a B- isn't that bad, since the teacher could be evil and hate you and simply fail you....:lol

JonathanLB
Feb 8th, 2003, 12:17:51 AM
I will get the situation fixed. I've never had a B in any class in college and don't intend to have that happen this term, that's for sure.

JMK
Feb 8th, 2003, 12:37:20 AM
Dude, maybe it's none of my concern, but just because you didn't agree with a teacher's grade doesn't mean you can barge in and demand an A. You can ask him how he came to that conclusion, and that you thought that you deserved better, and that's fine but I don't think demanding an upgrade is the swiftest course of action. Besides, look at your track record, 1 B won't ensure your doom. It's ONE B!!! ;)

Dae Jinn
Feb 8th, 2003, 12:39:50 AM
Exactly. Try to stay on topic next time Mister!!!! :D :lol

JonathanLB
Feb 8th, 2003, 01:02:17 AM
JMK, whoa, slow down there. Who said anything about demanding a grade? I don't demand anything but an explanation. He has given us all the chance to rewrite our papers if we got a B or less, and since that includes me, I get to rewrite mine. I am MEETING with him to discuss how to improve the paper in his eyes, then I have a chance to move from a B- to a B or B+ perhaps (he will only raise us 1/3 of a grade normally, so I think I can only get a B, but perhaps I can convince him otherwise if I explain that the wording he used simply wasn't clear and if he happens to agree in my case). He said he wants to work with me in taking care of the situation. We already talked via e-mail. He is a nice guy, I liked him before, I still like him, of course.

In the class, even if I only can get an improvement to a B on this paper, I still have a shot at an A, but an A- is certainly well within the realm of possibility no matter what. This was 20% of my grade, so if I do well on the midterm (take-home) and final, plus this journal of writing, then I am good.

I never demand a grade. I made it very clear to him that I am not in college for grades, or for money, or for career opportunities, or any nonsense like that. I am here to learn. That is it. If I were here for anything else, it would be a waste of my time.

I don't need college in the slightest for my profession. I could study philosophy on my own if I wanted with just as great effect. No I take that back -- I'd move quicker and with greater precision and understanding.

Nonetheless, I want the degree even if it is useless paper.

JMK
Feb 8th, 2003, 11:09:23 AM
I get that, I was just drawing comparisons! :lol

Jedieb
Feb 10th, 2003, 12:44:57 PM
I would have ratted your sister out to your parents. Teach her a lesson for using you as a mule. And any friend of mine that tried to sell my sister pot wouldn't be a friend of mine for very long. Like you, I think it should be legalized, but I'm not going to help my sister get baked. Since we're ranting..... :evil