PDA

View Full Version : The UN Security Council / Chechen Rebels (help)

Vega Van-Derveld
Feb 6th, 2003, 11:29:34 AM
At school in my PSHE (Personal/Social/Health Education) class, we've been learning a bit about the UN lately. Next we're going to have a debate, where each of us takes on the role of a member of the Security Council to resolve a problem, and this is what we've been given:

Your UN Security Council is set to debate on the following resolutions:

1. Russian troops to be withdrawn from all of Chechnya within two weeks.

2. A UN peackeeping force, led by NATO countries, to police Chechnya - but Russia to police Grozny, the capital.

3. Chechen rebels to hand in weapons to the UN within one month.

Each of us has to play a member of the council, and I've been given China and this description:

You have often dealt with internal security problems of your own in the past and so have some sympathy for Russia's position. However, you wish to improve your trading relationship with the United States and EU, and so will listen to all sides of the arguement.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any pointers on what I should be talking about when it comes to my turn to speak, or just any general help about the discussions background.

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Feb 6th, 2003, 12:00:43 PM
Ask for more time to investigate whether Chechen Rebels with guns are a threat ;)

Other than that, I'd make a big spiel about being proponents of human rights, even if China isn't. It makes them sound good to other nations, and its somehow a lie people believe. That should sooth whatever feathers might be ruffled in the west. However, you'd also want to express the gravity of the situation, and although the Chechens shouldn't be brutalized, they should be held responsible to keeping the peace, same as the Russians. That should appease Putin and company. The thing you need to know about China is that they're reeeally stuck between a rock and a hard place, as far as being hard-line and yet trying to appear progressive. So often, you'll have to balance both sides, even if it makes your message confusing to some.

I participated in Model UN for two years, so this is something I love :)

imported_Terran Starek
Feb 9th, 2003, 03:21:58 PM
I would pretty much agree with Keerrourri. :)

How accurately do you have to portray your country, or is this some kind of non-real world sim?

ReaperFett
Feb 9th, 2003, 03:54:53 PM
I say you give them 24 hours to hand over the worlds weapons to you, and then depart to your secret underground bunker, where you wait with a 7ft man with giant teeth ;)

Vega Van-Derveld
Feb 9th, 2003, 03:58:38 PM
How accurately do you have to portray your country, or is this some kind of non-real world sim?

Well its not a totally serious thing, but I think we're expected to stay fairly true to our countries policies.

I say you give them 24 hours to hand over the worlds weapons to you, and then depart to your secret underground bunker, where you wait with a 7ft man with giant teeth

o_O

ReaperFett
Feb 9th, 2003, 04:16:41 PM
Ah come on, the power! Take over the woooooooorld! :D

Hadrian Invicta
Feb 9th, 2003, 04:20:30 PM
I'm wondering how effective that would be seeing as Russia has veto power, what good would it do if russia just decided to veto the resolution

Sanis Prent
Feb 9th, 2003, 05:53:49 PM
Both Russia and America have veto power. China has to kiss two butts at once. They're masterful at straddling fences.