PDA

View Full Version : Are the makers of the Matrix on a bet?

ReaperFett
Feb 5th, 2003, 08:35:10 PM
Are they deliberately going for a run of bad titles?

2nd movie: Matrix Reloaded
3rd movie: Matrix Revolutions
Game: Enter the Matrix
Cartoon: Animatrix

:lol

Figrin D'an
Feb 5th, 2003, 08:40:34 PM
The game and cartoon titles are a little lame, but I still don't understand what your beef with the film titles is.

GraNi NaColu
Feb 5th, 2003, 09:09:15 PM
There isn't anything that can happen in the any new matrix movie, that hasn't already happened? They just need to face the facts that the movie is finished. They should have just killed that Leo guy, and have those clone dudes take over the "matrix world" and be done with it.

Dae Jinn
Feb 5th, 2003, 09:18:02 PM
lmao @ cartoon name....wtf?!?

Wei Wu Wei
Feb 5th, 2003, 09:37:50 PM
Well, you see...they can't end the movie series until humanity is free from the imprisonment of the Matrix. Soooooo....until they figure out how to offline all the machines that are holding the humans captive, then they can't stop. It's a matter of honor. I mean, I'd hate it if they had left it at that. I'd like to see just how they free the human race. I mean, what would you have done if the makers of the LOTR movie had stopped after FOTR? Wouldn't you have liked to have seen how Frodo got the ring all the way to Mordor?

(I know you could read the books to find out, but in this scenario, pretend like LOTR was not a book series first)

JMK
Feb 5th, 2003, 09:38:21 PM
The names for the movies are fine. They're fitting for sure.

Diego Van Derveld
Feb 6th, 2003, 12:52:34 AM
Wei, you miss the point. At the end of FotR, the issue of if the good guys win is still VERY MUCH in doubt.

At the end of the Matrix, Neo is CyberGod. Game over, man. Game over. He can blink and turn agents inside out. What is the point after that, and who cares? Sure, you can fight 100 agents...yaaaawn. Does it matter if its 1, 10, 100, or 10,000? He's the Real Ultimate Power.

Think about having a game called Quest for the Cheat Code. You play around for a little bit, and at the end of the game, you get to access the Ultimate Cheat Code, which you will use in the game's sequel, Quest for the Cheat Code 2.

Who on earth is going to buy it? Is there any doubt that you'll win if you play it? No there isn't. So what if they have to free humanity. So freakin what? Neo could free humanity, wrestle Godzilla, eat a sandwich, and spackle his living room walls, all at once...because he can alter the foundations of the Matrix itself.

So, you can see why I'm really not giving a damn about these sequels. Sure they look "1337" or whatever...but where is the point?

JonathanLB
Feb 6th, 2003, 01:06:59 AM
Ok all Matrix debate aside because I don't care to get into it until I see the sequels (it is not appropriate until such time), the conversation over the titles is utterly stupid.

Both of the titles are not just ok, they are excellent. This is the same crap that IDIOTIC Star Wars fans kept doing before The Phantom Menace came out. "OMG WTF The Phantom Menace? That's such a stupid title, I'm so smart, I know it's stupid before I even see the movie. My entire life is banking on this film Lucas better not screw it up OMG WTF I am an 31337 hax0r! I own jouz!"

After the movie came out, only a complete and utter retard would say that The Phantom Menace wasn't a good title. It makes perfect sense for the film, which is all about the idea that the threat to the Republic is hidden, transparent, PHANTOM, and is obviously menacing them, as the end of the film most clearly shows. The. Phantom. Menace. An excellent title that fit in great with the rest of the films, like A New Hope.

The Matrix Reloaded is really a tight title, sounds awesome, and Revolutions sounds neat too. I like the 2nd title the best of the two.

I've never seen so much negativity to such hugely anticipated films except on this forum and I cannot conclude anything else but that Star Wars fans, to a large extent, have become LOTR-gushers resentful of anything that is not LOTR, or they are such die-hard Star Wars fans that they cannot like 1) Harry Potter (which is more understandable because the films are not great, just good) 2) Lord of the Rings (I don't get this...) or 3) The Matrix. They must just like Star Wars and Star Wars alone.

Well I'm a movie fan in general, that's why I love the Star Wars films, because they are great movies and I love watching all types of films. I cannot wait until the next two Matrix films. If they suck, well that really will be a huge letdown and disappointment as a movie fan, but I expect to be entertained at least. I would not be surprised if both are worse than the first one, which seems almost certain, but I do expect them each to be 3.5 star films with excellent action and hopefully somewhat new or interesting plots. If the plots are just, eh, ok, then the films are still unlikely to be less than very good as long as the action is great and the dialogue is decent, too. Anyway, a plot means only so much. A great plot (taken from a book, for instance) with lousy production values and a screenwriter who is totally unoriginal and uninspired, combined with mediocre acting and a cinematographer who doesn't have any clue where to point the camera is going to be terrible, even if the plot has amazing potential ala Star Wars or The Godfather. A mediocre plot, however, with excellent direction, highly stylized production values, good acting, some funny and thoughtful dialogue, and a great musical score is very likely to come out well ahead of what its plot should have reasonably created.

Diego Van Derveld
Feb 6th, 2003, 01:17:04 AM
Contrary to whatever assumption you made...I enjoyed the Matrix thoroughly. That is why I loathe the sequels so much. It was perfect as is. I forsee this going along the path of the Blade series...where Blade was a fresh, cool, and fun approach to an old genre, and Blade 2 was essentially a cash-in, with a thin plot and flashier action, complete with "Upgraded Villain". I enjoyed Blade 2, but it was a pale shadow of the original.

If the Matrix sequels include "Agent v2.0", they'll have done the series a huge disservice.

As for LotR...its pretty good. I won't gush heavily, but I won't bash either.

Thus, the only series I can't abide is Harry Potter, because the first one bored me to tears, and I refuse to spend my hard-earned money on seeing the second. I'll consider burning 3 hours of my life on a free viewing, if possible.

Dirjj Mordrai
Feb 6th, 2003, 02:19:57 AM
I was speaking to a friend I work with about the Matrix and suggesting how are they going to pull it off. Seeing Neo has achieved Cybergodhood. And he simply stated that the matrix will adapt and evolve.

JonathanLB
Feb 6th, 2003, 02:22:11 AM
If you didn't like the first HP film, please, avoid the sequel -- it was not even as close to as good and will not just bore you, but annoy you.

I thought the first was, in many ways, a magical film that was very well produced, possibly one of the better kids films I have seen. It was, much like Star Wars, not insulting to me as an adult viewer and I felt it was made for all ages. The second, on the other hand, seemed to pander a bit more, it had two extremely obnoxious characters, and unfortunately just drug on and on and on. It was still good, in a B- sort of way, but I gave the first a B+ and nearly an A-...

As for Blade 2, well I personally liked it more than the first, but I grant you that the plot was worse. I think Blade had a more fresh, original plot. The second film's plot was a little bit contrived, though I still really liked the film. I cannot quite explain why I love Blade 2, because it has its weaknesses, but I found that its strengths far outweighed them.

I understand what you mean about thinking that The Matrix should have just been one film, but I disagree with you that there is no potential really for sequels. I think there is definitely more to explore. I personally always wanted to see this Zion they talked about, then I wanted to see more about this war between humans and machines that really had just begun in the first film, IMO.

I would have rather seen a sequel to The Matrix in some ways, though. Perhaps we can still get one if these two sequels do very well. Something like about how the machines finally took over, a dark, depressing Empire Strikes Back-like film, haha.

ReaperFett
Feb 6th, 2003, 02:45:23 AM
the conversation over the titles is utterly stupid.
Love you too. Can I call you an idiot too? :)

Helenias Evenstar
Feb 6th, 2003, 04:14:01 AM
You loathe the sequels and you have not even seen them and and you dont know what they are about?

I dont care. I really, really, really want to see the Matrix sequels.

I would also point out, that in 1978 we could have had a similar conversation -

"Did you hear? There's going to be a sequel to Star Wars!"

"Why? They blew up the Death Star, Luke knows the Force, who cares? What can they do?"

Easy to say now the answer is a lot. It could have been a perfectly acceptible POV for the above to be said. As far as I am concerned, there is some very obvious things that could be played on. Like, Neo is not a God outside of the Matrix. Much of Revolutions I know happens outside of the Matrix, where Neo's powers dont work.

I would rather wait and see what the come up with, before dismissing or approving for myself.

JonathanLB
Feb 6th, 2003, 05:13:47 AM
Yes, well said.

Reaper, I said the conversation, not you. I don't think you are an idiot by any means, I just think that this CONSTANT ragging on The Matrix sequels before they even come to theaters is rather silly.

I mean, how many threads do we need now to say how lousy the trailers look, how stupid the titles are, how idiotic the idea of these films is, etc.? Honestly, some of us actually are looking forward to what will a few of the highest grossing sci-fi movies of all time. Maybe not you, but many people are.

Oriadin
Feb 6th, 2003, 06:37:20 AM
I have to agree with Charley on the whole...

Im really looking forward to seeing the next installments of the Matrix but at the same time, dredding it. The first film was awsome and blew me out of the water. Fantastically done, well written, acted and just a brilliant story. By the end of it, Neo is practically invinclible. I too cant see how they are going to develop this further or how they are supposed to even combat Neo. Im sure that when I watch the film all will become clear but I was happy with the first and felt it was good enough to stand on its own. I worry that making another two films are not there to develop the story more but to cash in instead. Fingers crossed.

As for the titles, I see no problem with them at all. I couldnt really care less if it was called "Neo goes shopping" or something. Its the film that matters, not the title.

Taylor Millard
Feb 6th, 2003, 06:53:06 AM
I agree there.

But Matix 'Reloaded' just sounds like they're gonna do the same plot, storyline, characters, as they did in the first.

HEre's hoping they don't.

Mr. Happy
Feb 6th, 2003, 09:18:46 AM
Actually Helen, you can't make that comparison. In ANH, the uber bad guy escapes to fight another day, Luke doesn't become invincible, and you know there are still plenty of those big imperial ships out there. The issue is still very much in doubt.

ReaperFett
Feb 6th, 2003, 01:09:17 PM
I don't think you are an idiot by any means, I just think that this CONSTANT ragging on The Matrix sequels before they even come to theaters is rather silly.
First, Im not ragging on the sequels, just the titles :)

Second, the game and animated titles are worse ;)

GraNi NaColu
Feb 6th, 2003, 05:55:30 PM
Bottom line, Leo, Neo, whatever you want to call him, has an Ultimate Power. He can't be killed. You know what's gonna happen, so why make another movie. It would just be a waist of 2 hours to watch it, when there can be no other ending.

Darth23
Feb 6th, 2003, 06:32:13 PM
Wasn't 'Animatrix' the name of a really bad synth-pop band from the early 90's?

;)

Diego Van Derveld
Feb 6th, 2003, 06:43:04 PM
You're thinking about Technotronic, I think...

Loki Ahmrah
Feb 6th, 2003, 07:05:58 PM
Originally posted by JonathanLB
If you didn't like the first HP film, please, avoid the sequel -- it was not even as close to as good and will not just bore you, but annoy you.

(Destroys you)

:verymad!

JonathanLB
Feb 6th, 2003, 07:11:29 PM
Sorry Loki, you are free to disagree of course. I still liked the second HP film, it was good overall, wonderfully imaginative too, I was just really disappointed because to be honest I really liked the first film. I had just seen it the day before and was pretty excited about seeing HP2, and then it ended up being a letdown for me at least.

"Second, the game and animated titles are worse"

Ok, yeah, haha, you have a point there. ;)

On the whole, I think Preperation H is a good plan. On the whole. :D

Darth23
Feb 6th, 2003, 07:28:01 PM
Originally posted by Diego Van Derveld
You're thinking about Technotronic, I think...

Actually I was talking about 'Animotion'.

Maybe they were from te 80's

Diego Van Derveld
Feb 6th, 2003, 07:37:29 PM
o well :)

Loki Ahmrah
Feb 6th, 2003, 08:40:39 PM
That cartoon title makes me want to sing: "We're the aaaanimaniacs and we zaaaney to the max..."

ReaperFett
Feb 6th, 2003, 09:03:17 PM
So just sit back and relax, you'll laugh till you collapse, were Animaniacs! :)

Dae Jinn
Feb 6th, 2003, 09:14:54 PM

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that ;) Maybe they'll have Yakko Wakko and Dot make a guest appearance? lol

ReaperFett
Feb 6th, 2003, 09:16:24 PM
And Change Neo's name in a similar vein, to describe his acting. Cra...

;)

Dae Jinn
Feb 6th, 2003, 09:18:53 PM

Diego Van Derveld
Feb 6th, 2003, 09:40:04 PM
"Whoa!"

Dae Jinn
Feb 6th, 2003, 09:53:14 PM
Oh no! He's changling the ghost of Joey Lawrence!!! :eek!!!

Helenias Evenstar
Feb 7th, 2003, 04:32:37 AM
Originally posted by GraNi NaColu
Bottom line, Leo, Neo, whatever you want to call him, has an Ultimate Power. He can't be killed. You know what's gonna happen, so why make another movie. It would just be a waist of 2 hours to watch it, when there can be no other ending.

I dont recall anyone saying Neo could not be killed. I also dont recall any "This is going to happen". The Matrix was left open ended, who no explaination and a vague hint about what happens next. I also dont believe Neo's powers are effective outside of the Matrix.

Bottom line is, dont presume you know what's going to be in the movies. I dont know, you dont know and until we see the films for ourselves, we can not judge if it was worthwhile or not.

Oriadin
Feb 7th, 2003, 04:50:58 AM
Outside of the Matrix is where the real fight has got to be. Inside the matrix though? I mean, Neo did actually die and come back to life. That sounds pretty invincible to me.

Im going to reserve judgement, as I try to do with all things until I actually see the movie. I would have been happy for them to leave the film as a one off though. Sequals are rarely as good as the originals and I think it may just take away some of the glory from the first film if they stuff it up.

Diego Van Derveld
Feb 7th, 2003, 09:23:58 AM
If the key to this is what happens outside of the matrix, I'll be sorely disappointed! The movies are called The Matrix Trilogy And after the first movie, this battleground has been made irrelevant. To be blunt, I found the bits of conflict outside of the matrix to be rather uninteresting, with bad CG mecha-squid and such. Not to mention, if you win in the matrix, you win the war. Machines lose the ability to harvest power.

GraNi NaColu
Feb 7th, 2003, 10:46:05 AM
I agree totally with you Diego. The scenes that were involved outside of the matrix were dull. But I will end up probably watching it anyways. I won't have anything better to do probably. :rolleyes

ReaperFett
Feb 7th, 2003, 10:59:13 AM
I didnt mind the out of Matrix scenes, as the majority had Joe Pantoliano, who I've liked since the Sopranos. But they couldnt find a way to bring him back I hear :)

Diego Van Derveld
Feb 7th, 2003, 11:13:36 AM
True...he's a great actor :)

ReaperFett
Feb 7th, 2003, 11:24:51 AM
Was in the Goonies too :)

Diego Van Derveld
Feb 7th, 2003, 11:33:11 AM
Wow...I didn't know that!

GraNi NaColu
Feb 7th, 2003, 12:15:10 PM
me either? That's crazy. If they could find a way to bring him back, that would be awesome.

Nupraptor
Feb 8th, 2003, 04:35:40 AM
I thought the first was, in many ways, a magical film that was very well produced, possibly one of the better kids films I have seen. It was, much like Star Wars, not insulting to me as an adult viewer and I felt it was made for all ages. The second, on the other hand, seemed to pander a bit more, it had two extremely obnoxious characters, and unfortunately just drug on and on and on.omfg... stop the presses.

I basically agree with JLB. :)

The first film felt magical and fresh to me. I bought it on DVD the day it came out. The second film... felt formulaic. Harry breaks the rules to save the day, they have a quidditch match, the big dinner at the end, etc. It felt recycled.

I will say that the plot seemed to tie together a little better at the end of the second film. At the climax of the Sorcerer's Stone, I was sitting there wondering where the heck that thing just came from. It wasn't explained until after the fact, like an afterthought. The story for the CoS seemed to have been actually thought out. But it still, for the most part, felt like a rehash of the first one, and I kind of left the theater with a "been there, done that" attitude towards it.

If the third film is going to be more of the same, I think I'll wait for video.