PDA

View Full Version : Powell at the UN.

JediBoricua
Feb 5th, 2003, 02:35:04 PM
I missed the message, was at work. But i have read some of the reports earlier and it seems that some circumstancial evidence was presented by the Secretary that could gain some support to the US cause. But no smoking gun was evident.

Russia and China are not yet convinced, from what I read at msnbc.com.

I will wait until I get home and have time to see the news and analyse all I can to make a full statement on the speech. In the meantime let's get this discussion going.

Dutchy
Feb 5th, 2003, 03:29:24 PM
Bush'll prolly accept another UN resolution which clears the way for a war, more or less. Then gradually more and more countries (including Germany and France) will join America and eventually UN will green light a war.

Darth Viscera
Feb 5th, 2003, 04:38:56 PM
What you're about to hear is a conversation that my government monitored. It takes place on November 26 of last year, on the day before United Nations teams resumed inspections in Iraq.

The conversation involves two senior officers and one unidentified individual, the officers are a colonel and a brigadier general, from Iraq's elite military unit, the Republican Guard.

GEN: Yeah.

COL: About this committee that is coming...

GEN: Yeah, yeah.

COL: ...with Mohamed ElBaradei [Director, International Atomic Energy Agency]

GEN: Yeah, yeah.

COL: Yeah.

GEN: Yeah?

WALTER: If this is a new secret code you guys have worked out, please remember that you're talking on a radio....you can't see each other blinking.

GEN: Yeah.

Dirjj Mordrai
Feb 5th, 2003, 06:01:20 PM
:lol ROFL, that is truly funny Vis thanks!

ReaperFett
Feb 5th, 2003, 06:29:13 PM
:)

I believe most of the information given has been heard before, but this time they had the nice Powerpoint slideshow and tapings.

Darth23
Feb 5th, 2003, 07:09:39 PM
Apparently the next UN resolution will require Iraq to bomb itself during the coming war.

Darth Viscera
Feb 5th, 2003, 07:59:30 PM
ROFL :lol

Dirjj Mordrai
Feb 5th, 2003, 08:23:24 PM
:lol

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 5th, 2003, 10:17:13 PM
Funny Darth23 :lol. Honestly I don't think France will support it they are still against, also Germany will never give in they have said as much they are really against a war.

Admiral Lebron
Feb 7th, 2003, 10:51:07 PM
Going to war without the French is like going deer hunting without an accordion. :|

CMJ
Feb 7th, 2003, 10:57:58 PM
That is one of the funniest posts ever in the 4 years I've read this board! :lol :lol

Admiral Lebron
Feb 7th, 2003, 11:04:59 PM
I try. :)

JMK
Feb 7th, 2003, 11:30:00 PM
We know the French would surrender before they were beaten anyway!

ReaperFett
Feb 8th, 2003, 06:46:01 AM
Dont go into war stereotypes, it will never end ;)

Sigil Roland
Feb 8th, 2003, 10:20:49 AM
Tell me abour it...

Admiral Lebron
Feb 8th, 2003, 11:44:54 AM
But they are all about how the french suck...

ReaperFett
Feb 8th, 2003, 12:32:58 PM
Oh no they're not :)

Dutchy
Feb 8th, 2003, 03:36:55 PM
The French have Laetitia Casta.

'nuff said. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 8th, 2003, 04:54:26 PM
Well the French aren't awful fighters they only surrendered in WW 2 but that was because the people didn't want to fight and who would blamed them in WW 1 they lost 1.7 million people, only Germany lost more (2 million) and Russia lost 1.7 also, but France had a smaller population than both countries, so it really makes since that 20 years later people wouldn't fight. Think about it if your father and grandfather both died in a war would you want to fight another one? Plus a lot of the survivors of the war didn't want to fight another one eihter. Second France was fighting the wrong kind of war, when Germany invaded in 1940, France was thinking it would like WW 1 trench warfare, well they were wrong and payed the price that mistake cost them a lot of deaths. It was then the treasonous decision of the French government namely old field Marshall Petain and President Levy both of whom became pro-Nazi, so in my opinion they no longer repesented France, also they paid for their decision 6 years later by firing squad. I know the French are the butts of jokes but before WW 1 France had the strongest army in Europe it was a combination of the horrible defeates they suffered in WW 1 and defeatism and pro-fascist movment in France that led to their surrender in WW 2, though there was a French goverment in exile which did not give up led by Charles De Gaulle now if he was in charge France would have fought to the last man.

Darth Viscera
Feb 8th, 2003, 05:09:20 PM
Originally posted by Admiral Lebron
Going to war without the French is like going deer hunting without an accordion. :|

You were watching Crossfire 2 nights ago also? Yeah, he did get in a good joke, but it's not yours! JOKE THIEF!

*strangles Lebron with soap on a rope*

34 countries now supporting the liberation of Iraq, 2 new notables include Ireland and Japan.

ReaperFett
Feb 8th, 2003, 05:16:33 PM
Ireland is notable? News to me! :lol

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 8th, 2003, 05:22:11 PM
Well they can fight only in bar brawls though, jk. They don't have an army so they won't be involved in any fighting, the same with Japan.

ReaperFett
Feb 8th, 2003, 05:31:14 PM
So basically, Ireland will give.......moral support? ;)

Admiral Lebron
Feb 8th, 2003, 05:36:01 PM
Pfft. You're not supposed to watch Crossfire Visc. :mad

Okay, granted the French won the 100 years war and then there was Napoleon who wasn't really French. But they still suck.

Darth Viscera
Feb 8th, 2003, 05:37:01 PM
No Fett, Chile is scheduled to provide us with the moral support.

ReaperFett
Feb 8th, 2003, 05:39:55 PM
Okay, granted the French won the 100 years war and then there was Napoleon who wasn't really French. But they still suck.
Why? Only times I can remember them surrendering otherwise in a major sense are the World Wars. What else you got against them?

Admiral Lebron
Feb 8th, 2003, 06:08:29 PM
Well... the women don't shave, bottle water, the eiffel tower, there lame accents, the women don't shave, Louis XVI, Their revolution was lame, the women don't shave, they think they are badass, they thought Napoleon was winning when he was losing hundreds of thousands of men, the women don't shave, Avingon Papacy, and did I mention that the women don't shave?

Darth Viscera
Feb 8th, 2003, 09:35:57 PM
hey man, don't dis Napoleon.

Admiral Lebron
Feb 8th, 2003, 10:19:09 PM
He was a liar...

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 8th, 2003, 10:33:46 PM
That is mostly a myth that the women don't shave, I have talked to people who have been to France and that is for the most part not true, maybe its truer in Russia or something. Also their revolution was not lame it was the bloodiest and most exciting, heck look at this way they excuted over 10,000 people putting their heads on spikes outside the French cities. As far as Napoleon, well he was a tryant, not as bad as Hitler but he was an arrogant man who thought he could conquer all of Europe and that arrogance destroyed him (the Invasion of Russia). Also you may not realize this but if it wasn't for the French, American would have been a English colony for a lot longer, if they hadn't gotten involved the England would have kept on fighting and could have won the war, the French are one of the major reasons why we won.

Admiral Lebron
Feb 8th, 2003, 10:53:13 PM
The French revolution was meh. Napoleon lost because he was becoming ill. From what I've read his Generals wrote that he was becoming more and more indecisive in battle... and his armies were poorly trained.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 8th, 2003, 10:58:43 PM
France had the best army in Europe, and he was winning every battle until Russia, he got cocky, like Hitler, he thought he could march into Moscow and win, but the Russians burned everthing to the ground and left the cities, so when the harsh winter set in the French armies were screwed. They starved to death. Also he didn't get sick until after waterloo it is what he died from.

Admiral Lebron
Feb 8th, 2003, 11:05:44 PM
He had cancer... so it coulda started a long time before.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 8th, 2003, 11:12:54 PM
But I don't think that would have affected him during the Russian Invasion, he just messed up every battle before that, excpet for his defeat at Egypt (but that was because the British Navy was superior) The French troops won easily, they beat the Prussians and the Austrians and won against England on the field they just could fight their navy that is why he invaded Russia because the Russian Tsar was thinking about helping out Britian and he just didn't want that to happen.

Darth Viscera
Feb 9th, 2003, 01:37:11 PM
I don't care if he was a liar or not. He was well loved in much of this country, he sold us Lousiana for a bargain price (thus expanding the U.S. twofold and helping the Manifest Destiny ship set sail), he kept the British busy at a time when they were raiding our shores, stealing our food, killing our people and depriving our women of their honor. We built a house for him in New Orleans, and wrote to him on his little island, asking if he could leave his exile and come and live in Lousiana. He certainly was no Hitler-that's a horrible thing to say about a great man and THE military genius of the 19th century, and our nation's #1 ally at the time!

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 9th, 2003, 01:44:12 PM
He was no great man he was a tryant, France had a democracy and he stole that from the people and created his own rule. He tried to conquer Europe and under his rule their was a huge massacre in Spain, sure he was no Hitler, but he was no great man either.

Darth Viscera
Feb 9th, 2003, 05:20:14 PM
I disagree.

Sanis Prent
Feb 9th, 2003, 06:03:31 PM
Why? Only times I can remember them surrendering otherwise in a major sense are the World Wars. What else you got against them?

Algeria, Dien Bien Phu, and a major anti-semitic spat in their military hierarchy in the 1890's...the Dreyfuss Affair.

Darth Viscera
Feb 9th, 2003, 06:18:32 PM
Richard Dreyfuss is related to that guy, or at least he says so-he won't stop blabbling about it! :lol

Richard Dreyfuss is one cool cat, if only because he collaborated with Harry Turtledove on a novel.

Don't forget their prisons in south america, dreadful things. Dreyfuss was put in one of those, I believe.

Sanis Prent
Feb 9th, 2003, 06:42:12 PM
Correct. Devil's Island, I think.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 9th, 2003, 08:35:12 PM
Well France's anti-semitism wasn't as bad as Germany and Austria or Russia for that matter, in comparrison to those countries the French loved the jews. Algeria, well at least when Degaulle got into power he took care of that, he got the heck out, the same with Vietnam, I will never understand to this day why the French people turned their backs on him in the end. He was a great leader.