PDA

View Full Version : Computer Problems

imported_Terran Starek
Feb 5th, 2003, 10:57:07 AM
My computer is a piece 'o' trash currently. I have been working very hard lately with trying to reapair it--disk cleanups, defrags, and having friends who are 100 times more computer literate than me take a look at it. I have no idea what the real problem is, but I am also a computer moron, so yeah. :)

Anyway, I am posting this from a public computer in my building. I hope I will get things fixed soon--until then, my posting will probably suffer a bit. I apologize for the inconvenience and I still love you all! :D

Take care, guys, and I will be back ASAP!

imported_Terran Starek
Feb 5th, 2003, 03:19:43 PM
Ok...so I am kinda back. But I don't trust my comp. I am fixing lots of problems, but doing alright. :)

Nathanial K'cansce
Feb 5th, 2003, 03:46:41 PM
What exactly's wrong with it?

imported_Terran Starek
Feb 5th, 2003, 03:51:50 PM
Ahhh, Mr. Snack. What is wrong? Well, lemme tell ya--

I HAVE NO CLUE!!!

:lol

Yeah, dude, I don't know. I am no computer whiz, and this is definitely a testament to this fact. I have no idea. :D

It just runs very, very slow. It won't run Disk Clean-up. It crashes for various reasons--games or some programs. It sucks.

Figrin D'an
Feb 5th, 2003, 04:40:57 PM
If all else fails, back up your critical files, wipe your hard drive and start with a fresh operating system install. That will generally fix a lot of problems.

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Feb 5th, 2003, 04:47:24 PM
sounds like mine, had to get a new one before it died entirely.....

Morgan Evanar
Feb 5th, 2003, 05:21:56 PM
Fig's advice is sound. I hope you have 2000 Pro or XP. Much, much better operating systems than 98 or ME.

Nathanial K'cansce
Feb 5th, 2003, 05:32:39 PM
Yes, what Morg and Fig said = true. If you don't have XP or Win 2000, upgrade now. ...granted it doesn't crash when trying to upgrade. :p

imported_Terran Starek
Feb 5th, 2003, 06:12:37 PM
I have XP.

The problem is, my burner is pretty shot. So how do I get files backed up without being able to put them on some discs??

:mad

Dang you technology!

Dae Jinn
Feb 5th, 2003, 07:46:30 PM
*was wondering why you weren't posting* and not answering ims :mneh save them to disks instead? maybe? Not cds, but actual disks.

Moltar
Feb 6th, 2003, 02:02:49 PM
Repairing from XP??

How much RAM do you have?

imported_Terran Starek
Feb 8th, 2003, 12:02:24 PM
512 MB SDRAM

Sigil Roland
Feb 8th, 2003, 03:36:11 PM
Ok, that should be enough RAM, Just make sure it's set at the right clock speed. You can look on the RAM and find out the clock speed and then make sure in your BIOS that your Front Side Bus is set to the correct printed RAM speed.

Usually when your computer slows down, it could be a number of things from a full hard drive to a hardware conflict. So lets start by getting your burner working. And all you should need to do is check to see if your drivers are correct. Just do this:

1)See if you can read a regular audio CD in the drive.

2)Do a test burn to see if you can transfer files to the CD-R

3)See if you can read that file on another computer (one with a CD-R or CD-RW Drive is perferable.)

imported_Terran Starek
Feb 9th, 2003, 02:32:42 PM
Ok--lemme see if I can try this. I won't be back on my own computer till tomorrow, so then I will try to do some of this stuff.

Thanks for the help, guys. :)

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 9th, 2003, 02:37:32 PM
you need to threaten to reprogram it's memory with a meat axe

imported_Terran Starek
Feb 9th, 2003, 02:44:40 PM
You think Meat Axe Justice is the best course of action here?

:lol

Marcus Telcontar
Feb 9th, 2003, 02:50:22 PM
or chainsaw

Sigil Roland
Feb 10th, 2003, 04:43:08 PM
Me, I'm old fashoned.. I like using mine as boat anchors.

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Feb 10th, 2003, 04:44:58 PM
I prefer the good ol' baseball bat myself.....