PDA

View Full Version : Possibility of a Vibro Sword?

Zareb
Feb 4th, 2003, 02:40:15 PM
Is it at all possible to make a vibro blade around the size of a sword, I'm just wondering this, because we do have people who characters aren't all lightsabre weilding, blaster toting, fisticuffs.

So it is possible, or not?

Figrin D'an
Feb 4th, 2003, 02:43:59 PM
I guess I don't see why not. IIRC, there have been smaller vibro blades used in EU books (like lightsabre daggers, except not quite as powerful). Making such a thing a bit larger to create a full sized sword shouldn't be problem.

Comments?

Vega Van-Derveld
Feb 4th, 2003, 02:50:39 PM
I think one or more characters here already use this type of weapon, so it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Zeke
Feb 4th, 2003, 03:18:45 PM
I say go for it. There are Vibroaxes after all. And the Force Pike has a vibroblade ability on it. Sword's no different.

Loki Ahmrah
Feb 4th, 2003, 03:26:58 PM
I can't imagine what problem there could be. Go for it.

ReaperFett
Feb 4th, 2003, 03:31:38 PM
The problem would be accuracy. A blade that is vibrating isnt a bother on a knife, and doesnt matter for the big swings of an axe. But for a sword, the longness may hinder accuracy quite dramatically. But they're doable.

Morgan Evanar
Feb 4th, 2003, 03:56:47 PM
Nuuuuhhhh. You misunderstand how the buggers work, Fett. They vibrate at ultra-sonic frequencies, like 40 khz. Low frequency vibration would simply yeild the problems you just listed above.

Sanis Prent
Feb 4th, 2003, 04:21:09 PM
That, and you can insulate the hilt to those kinds of stresses. Not a problem.

Miryan no Trunks
Feb 4th, 2003, 04:32:41 PM
I dunno, the way I see it, we have this vibro-sword, vibrating from the hilt. Like a pendulum, would each individual motion (no matter how fast) not extend in length the further down the blade it went? And if so, wouldn't the effectiveness of the sword be diminished by the fact that if you struck near the tip of the sword, the blade would undergo wear-and tear from being pushed horizontally (assuming this is a down-slash) back and forth rapidly along the surface it's trying to cut? I can see the blade easily chipping and cracking, especially if you were trying to slice through anything a normal sword would have problems with.

Any thoughts on this?

Mr. Happy
Feb 4th, 2003, 04:36:09 PM
If it vibrated horizontally, it would. But it wouldn't do that. A vibro-weapon oscillates on its axis of attack (the edge) Any incidental byproduct motion on the horizontal would be negligible.

ReaperFett
Feb 4th, 2003, 04:39:26 PM
Sorry Morg, but PPOR that that is true. Part because I've never heard that. Part because I want to read something about them :)

And as an aside, there was a Vibromop :)

Miryan no Trunks
Feb 4th, 2003, 04:43:01 PM
Alright, that makes sense. Still say a lot of wear and tear would be done to the edge of the sword though, vertical Or horizontal.

Like, lets say you swing the weapon at something you don't know that it can't cut through. Instead of the initial connection and possible chip, it's hitting over and over again at an extremely high frequency, which in my mind, would result in a lot More chipping, and possibly cracking the sword.

Of course, I could just be underestimating the durability of the metal the blade would be made of =/

ReaperFett
Feb 4th, 2003, 04:46:00 PM
A vibro-weapon oscillates on its axis of attack (the edge)
Depends on the weapon itself IMO. Some might do different.

Morgan Evanar
Feb 4th, 2003, 05:17:19 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
Depends on the weapon itself IMO. Some might do different.

Why? The weapon would gain no benefits of the rapid vibration then.

ReaperFett
Feb 4th, 2003, 05:20:36 PM
Makes more of a mess. On the soft, natch.

Morgan Evanar
Feb 4th, 2003, 06:15:06 PM
In theory, you're from the island that spawn the lanuage, but...

English, please.

Ki-Adi Kindo
Feb 4th, 2003, 07:08:42 PM
Morpheus, who I used to run, had a black vibro-sword. There's nothing wrong with it.

Evil Hobgoblin
Feb 4th, 2003, 10:56:34 PM
Vibroswords, daggers, axes, and so on are all established parts of Star Wars EU. They all fall under the heading of vibroblades.

Sanis Prent
Feb 5th, 2003, 03:02:10 AM
The wear from contact would really only occur once upon impact. That first strike would dissipate most of the motion velocity. The following oscillations would be occurring at a drastically reduced force.

Zareb
Feb 5th, 2003, 07:34:08 AM
So, it's possible, but it would be a high-matenace weapon, from what some people are saying........

*hrm*

And it's not for this Character but another one, and I was wondering if it was, and since I know it is, and I know that you can use a vibroblade while deactivated and not get as much wear and tear.....

I think it might work, thanks.

Sanis Prent
Feb 5th, 2003, 10:13:36 AM
I doubt it would be much more maintenance than a regular sword.

ReaperFett
Feb 5th, 2003, 11:14:35 AM
I'd reccomend a Blastsword myself :)

Shrin Safserim
Feb 5th, 2003, 06:53:44 PM
Blastsword? Explain, please.

ReaperFett
Feb 5th, 2003, 07:02:29 PM
From the Unoffical Encyclopedia:

Blastsword
this was the traditional Adumari weapon. About a meter in length, the blastsword resembled a long vibroblade with a curved metal guard protecting the hilt. The blade itself was sharp until it reached the tip of the sword, which resembled a flared nozzle rather than a point. When the blastsword contacted a solid object, the nozzle emitted a blast of laser energy. Individual blastswords emitted different color blasts, and helped to enforce a user's individuality. (SOA)

Shrin Safserim
Feb 5th, 2003, 07:06:57 PM
Aha. Thank you.

Loki Ahmrah
Feb 5th, 2003, 08:07:38 PM
So basically a gunblade but with a blaster. :)

ReaperFett
Feb 5th, 2003, 08:32:15 PM
No, because you dont fire it.

Loki Ahmrah
Feb 5th, 2003, 08:34:20 PM
Ok. So basically a gunblade but with an automatically-firing blaster. :p

ReaperFett
Feb 5th, 2003, 08:38:56 PM
And no range. Unless you want to put you finger at the end ;)

To me, this would be a better weapon than a Vibroblade, just less easy to obtain and more costly.

Sean Piett
Feb 5th, 2003, 09:07:52 PM
You could fire it by tapping it with a stick ^_^

Morgan Evanar
Feb 5th, 2003, 09:33:20 PM
Screw that. Qualta blade a-la Farscape, with SW tech.

Shrin Safserim
Feb 5th, 2003, 09:45:33 PM
Again, please explain.

Sean Piett
Feb 5th, 2003, 10:48:52 PM
As a side note, I thought the gunblades from FFVIII were gay and ugly as all get out.

Except for the battle between Seph and Squall. That was hardkore.