PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Movies of 2003?

Neo
Feb 3rd, 2003, 09:04:11 PM
Just as says.

5)- X2
4)- Gods and Generals
3)- Lord of the Rings; Return of the King
2)- Matrix Reloaded
1)- Matrix Revolutions

Sejah Haversh
Feb 3rd, 2003, 09:19:41 PM
Hmm, that's really arguable.

I think the top moneymakers will be (of that list)

5: Matrix Revolutions
4: X2
3: Matrix Reloaded
2: Gods and Generals
1: Lord of the Rings; Return of the King

And by the way, Reeves himself is taken by Kindo, and Reeves as Neo has been claimed for a loooooong time by Darth Turbogeek. Sorry pal, but I think you're going to have to find a new avatar.

And, I'm not even sure the Matrix movies will make it into the top five moneymakers, really.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 3rd, 2003, 09:31:12 PM
I don't see Gods and Generals making the top 5, probably the top 5 movies moneywise will be this

LOTR: ROTK
The Hulk
Matrix Reloaded
Matrix Revolution
Cat in the Hat (comes out in Nov)

X2 could make the top 10 will depened on how big of a year it is.

Hadrian Invicta
Feb 3rd, 2003, 09:39:30 PM
what is X2? sorry not up to date with films in the least bit

Figrin D'an
Feb 3rd, 2003, 09:56:35 PM
X2 = the second X-Men film

Box office champ will probably be ROTK... I don't recall seeing any major release, besides perhaps Matrix Reloaded, that could compete in that respect. I don't think The Hulk is going to be a monster at the BO... it'll do well, but it's not going to be another Spiderman.

Hadrian Invicta
Feb 3rd, 2003, 10:13:41 PM
Danke!

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 3rd, 2003, 10:18:35 PM
I have a feeling the Hulk will I don't know why I think it won't do Spiderman numbers but more like 250 or around that. I think the Two Matrix movies both will do between 200-240 I don't see them doing too much higher that R rated will keep out a lot of people.

Oriadin
Feb 4th, 2003, 03:40:06 AM
Dont forget that Terminator 3 is out this year. Thats gonna be a big hit I expect.

Nathanial K'cansce
Feb 4th, 2003, 10:34:30 AM
Ugh, T-3 looks horrid. The trailer didn't help matter much. :x

Loki Ahmrah
Feb 4th, 2003, 11:47:35 AM
Money-makers will probably be ranked as:

1. The Matrix Reloaded
2. The Matrix Revolutions
3. Return of the King
4. Hulk
5. X2

ReaperFett
Feb 4th, 2003, 01:24:28 PM
X-Men only made 106m. I doubt #2 will do much more. I see it gettign around 100m along with Daredevil, while Hulk makes more than both combined.

Loki Ahmrah
Feb 4th, 2003, 01:27:48 PM
I believe X2 will do about twice as well as the first movie. I really do. I forgot about Daredevil, it could beat X2 but I'm not sure. I watched Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon last night. I wish "Hulk" had never been made. :\

ReaperFett
Feb 4th, 2003, 01:52:58 PM
Why, CTHD that bad or something?

I think DD will profit, but little else. It's be better than Wolverine 2, but it wont make as much :)

Dirjj Mordrai
Feb 4th, 2003, 02:17:06 PM
Return of the King
Gods and Generals
The Hulk
Matrix Reloaded
Matrix Revolution (depending on the success of Reloaded)
Daredevil or X2

TheHolo.Net
Feb 4th, 2003, 02:22:55 PM
I think that if the Matrix movies are R rated they will probably not make it into the top three.

Figrin D'an
Feb 4th, 2003, 02:39:58 PM
T-3 will probably open big, but it'll drop off pretty quickly if the trailers have been any indication of how good (or bad) it will be...

Oriadin
Feb 4th, 2003, 02:46:54 PM
Im not so sure. Come back films seem to be pretty popular I think. The trailer gives nothing away. People will go to see this movie based on the previous two hits alone.

Figrin D'an
Feb 4th, 2003, 02:50:37 PM
I'm sure many will... but there are a lot of people that won't go near it either, because Arnold's track record lately is pretty poor. If Cameron were running the project, I'd probably have a little more confidence in it, but I'm just not that excited about it. It would nearly impossible to top T2, and the T2 ending was just fine for me as a conclusion to the story.

Loki Ahmrah
Feb 4th, 2003, 03:25:21 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
Why, CTHD that bad or something?

CTHD is the most beautiful film I've ever seen. "Hulk" looks like vomit onscreen in comparison. That is only my opinion of course, but what was seen in the trailer made me think that the film is going to be nothing more than pre-packaged and manufactured garbage.

ReaperFett
Feb 4th, 2003, 03:29:15 PM
I remember turning on CTHD and seeing tree fighting. Nothing Ang Lee does can top that for badness in my eyes :)

Dirjj Mordrai
Feb 4th, 2003, 03:33:24 PM
The Hulk is a very, very ambitious movie IMHO! And quite a risk by Ang Lee to tackle movie in a genre that is highly underappreciated. I have seen portions of the Hulk and this CGI creation didn't impress me much. It was a kinda disappointing unveiling. We'll have to wait and see if it works. Spiderman might have this one beaten!

Sejah Haversh
Feb 4th, 2003, 05:19:57 PM
CTHD is one of my favorites, and the Hulk is going to take some serious convincing before I go see it. I never was a fan of The Hulk in the comics, either. Captain America is my favorite Marvel char.

ReaperFett
Feb 4th, 2003, 05:22:42 PM
I like Ultimate Cap, but normal has always been plain dull to me.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 4th, 2003, 05:31:03 PM
Reaper X-Men made 160 in the US, I think the sequel will make 170-200 I see it opening huge 75-80 it will though have a huge drop off. I think ROTK will be the big money makers I don't see the Matrix movies toping them because they are R. The highest grossing R rated film is either Beveral Hill Cop or Saving Private Ryan (not sure which it is) Realize the theaters now check ages so people can't buy tickets like they use to, I do think people will sneak in and pay for another movie that happens all the time.

ReaperFett
Feb 4th, 2003, 05:37:57 PM
Okay, 150. None the less, I've seena script review. I can see one viewing probably, dont expect to me going back :)

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 4th, 2003, 05:40:12 PM
I don't know it looks better than the first one, more actions and stuff, of course that doesn't mean it will do better.

ReaperFett
Feb 4th, 2003, 05:56:39 PM
My problem is this. X-Men is a team comic. X-Men is also a Wolverine movie.

Or at least, it WAS a team comic. Now, it's getting stupid. Ultimate X-Men threw Wolverine straght in as a major. There are THREE X-Men comics going in the main universe, and the idea is that theres three teams in a way. So how does Wolverine get in ALL of them quite often? And he has his own comic! And then there's the upcoming game, the movies..........I'm sorry, but it feels like they're milking one character, and leaving the true X-Men roots.

ANYWAY..

The rest will be spoiler tagged, but Im not really telling any spoilers, it is more about screen time.

One of my key X-Men gripes is this. Cyclops and Jean are together, right? WHat do we see to prove this? NOTHING! Not one scene, not a moment within a scene, nothing. Now, when we look at scenes we know are cut from the original X-Men, they include Cyclops and Storm talking pre-train station, and Jean and Cyclops together. So basically, they cut all the other characters scenes, and leave in the Wolverine story. Just five minutes of footage could have made the difference.

But lo and behold, a sequel! Surely they cannot make the same mistake again! Much as I hate Storm, I'd hope she'd get more screen time! More Cyclops! More of Cyclops and Jean, even though I can think of better couples(Theyre together, lets see it)!

(Maybe slight spoilers now)

...And then I hear Cyclops and Storm actually get less screentime. And I hear Jean is off doing something without Cyke, and vice versa. So no, they ignored that hope. And as an aside, dont think Im the only one who thinks this. Over at Corona, quite a few agreed when I said one problem is we're told Cyke and Jean are together, but saw nothing.

Oh, and one other thing that may affect it. On-set problems. Corona has an occasional poster who is apparently working on X2. He has been right more than once, saying things that do appear later on in other places. And I quote:

Last but not least there is a small chance we will all see X3 if things keep going the way they are and Im talking about a certain actress and a certain director being <smallfont color={hovercolor}>-Censored-</smallfont>s.
All love onset eh? :)

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 4th, 2003, 06:10:50 PM
Well there is more screen time for IceMan which I really like he is one of my favs. Also Collossus and Kitty both have bigger parts so I guess it is to be expected. We will have to see how it works out, I read that Storm had about the same amount of screen time in X2 as X-Men, I am hoping Rogue as much screen time this time around, Paquin was great in the first one.

ReaperFett
Feb 4th, 2003, 06:14:10 PM
I just added something to the above post btw :)

And I hear Kitty has a large part due to being a likely character with more screentime if they made an X3.

More importantly for me, Siryn is apparently there. Now all they need is an Asian female with British accent and Tattoo. Oh, and Deadpool :)

Loki Ahmrah
Feb 4th, 2003, 06:18:08 PM
R-rated movies? Are they for 18+ audiences. If that's the case for the Matrix sequels then they're buggered.

ReaperFett
Feb 4th, 2003, 06:19:10 PM
Loki, I believe R means noone under 18 unless with a paying adult.

JMK
Feb 4th, 2003, 08:47:09 PM
Return of the King
Matrix Reloaded
Matrix Revolutions
Terminator 3
Hulk

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 4th, 2003, 09:12:07 PM
Yeah and in the US they are becoming very strict about letting people under 17 in. I think that will hurt the Matrix movies they still I think will make over 200 which is excellent for an R rated movie.

ReaperFett
Feb 5th, 2003, 03:10:34 AM
I dont like your movie system. It lacks the middle ground our "15" rating has. I think there should be more grades, to stop needless cuts.

FOR EXAMPLE, Daredevil. A Jennifer Garner fight (No spoilers, weve seen she fights. Im not saying more though:)) has been cut down, because it shows a woman being beaten up. As in, a FEMALE SAI-WIELDING MARTIAL ARTIST is in a fight. Note btw it's fine for her to beat up her opponent, just not her being hit.

Isn't that a bit sexist? We're not watching some guy kick the living daylights out of her, were watching a fight!

Anyway, back to the point. Had they left this in, it would be an R. But one slight cut, which doesnt change the tone of the film, knocks it down so people 4 years younger can watch?

Sene Unty
Feb 5th, 2003, 08:45:28 AM
I agree completly Reaper...it is very sexist...

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 5th, 2003, 11:54:24 AM
Well that is the ratings board, I have never understood how they decide some of their stuff. I am not sure if they would add another rating, PG-13 only got added after the outcry from Parents it would take that to get another rating, I think.

Darth23
Feb 5th, 2003, 07:21:28 PM
The one's I'm looking forward too most are Matrix 2 & 3, X2 (just bought X-men 1.5 dvd), and ROTK.

I'll see Daredevil, The Hulk - I mean "Hulk" and T-3 - but I'm waiting for those with a mixuture of hope and dread.

---------------------------

I'm sorry, but it feels like they're milking one character, and leaving the true X-Men roots.

Well they've only been doing that for about 15 or 20 years.... :p

ReaperFett
Feb 5th, 2003, 08:26:13 PM
Early 90s it was definately team-feel for me, I've been back-tracking :)

CMJ
Mar 3rd, 2003, 04:18:43 PM
I take the Top 5 of 2003 to be the most likely Oscar contenders. ;) Right now with great certainty I say ROTK will be one of the nominee's.

If it's done right "Seabiscuit" will be one as well. I recently read the book and saw the preview. The book was GREAT, just the kind of inspirational story people(and the Academy) love. I can't wait to see if the film does it justice.

Sanis Prent
Mar 3rd, 2003, 04:26:06 PM
Is Seabiscuit the craptastic horse movie?

CMJ
Mar 3rd, 2003, 04:31:54 PM
Don't slam the story. Great, great book. I AM a horse person, but non horse people like it too. Like my Mom who MADE me read it.

IF it's done right it'll be akin to 'Rocky'. People will be cheering in the theatre during some of those races.

JMK
Mar 3rd, 2003, 06:25:03 PM
I'm not a horse race guy at all, but that trailer looks very very good.

JonathanLB
Mar 3rd, 2003, 07:59:43 PM
Yes, it does :)

The best 5 so far, from our limited selection, are (IMO):

1) Daredevil
2) The Recruit
3) Old School
4) Shanghai Knights
5) Final Destination 2

Close between 3 and 4, pretty far between 1 and 2, 4 and 5. Lousy list so far relatively speaking, but it's been a good year considering that Jan. and Feb. always blow hard. Yet this time, wasn't so bad at all.

CMJ
Mar 3rd, 2003, 08:06:39 PM
I haven't seen enough yet. I'm still catching up on '02 relases. :\

JonathanLB
Mar 3rd, 2003, 09:15:00 PM
I still have a few movies from 2002 to catch up on, such as 24 Hour Party People and a few others that are maybe not yet on DVD. Bah...

ReaperFett
Mar 4th, 2003, 03:30:33 AM
1) Daredevil
2) The Tuxedo :)

Or if it is films Ive seen this year:

1) Daredevil
2) LOTR: TTT
3) The Tuxedo :)

JonathanLB
Mar 4th, 2003, 04:10:45 AM
But The Tuxedo was last year, too. In fact it was by far last year. It was like October.

Marcus Telcontar
Mar 4th, 2003, 04:21:31 AM
The Tuxedo only opened in Aust like in January. Its a 2003 movie for me

ReaperFett
Mar 4th, 2003, 04:23:36 AM
Ditto here :)

JonathanLB
Mar 4th, 2003, 04:25:13 AM
I see...

That's kinda surprising, but I guess not really, they are still slow on some foreign films.

Still, I always classify a movie, and believe everyone else should, by the year of release in its native country. For instance, I saw some stupid thing listing one of these foreign movies as like 1958, yet it opened a full EIGHT YEARS earlier in Japan or something, and I am like, "Uhh it's not a 1958 movie, it's a 1950 movie." It creates too much confusion using the release year relatively. It should be absolute. Wherever it first opened for public exhibition is its year of release. I try to be consistent about that on my site, too, so I'll list foreign movies that opened in 2002 by their foreign year of release because I think it's only fair.

*shrug* no huge deal I guess, but it is when these people try to list a release date like 5 years later just because it hadn't come to the U.S. until that time. Grrr :)

Master Yoghurt
Mar 4th, 2003, 06:07:28 PM
Hmmm...

1. LOTR: ROTK - 325M
2. Matrix Reloaded - 250M
3. Hulk - 240M
4. T3 - 225M
5. Matrix Revolutions or X2