PDA

View Full Version : Talk to Her, Y Tu Mama Tambien -- ineligible receiver downfield :)

JonathanLB
Feb 3rd, 2003, 07:41:02 PM
Neither Talk to Her or Y Tu Mama Tambien are eligible for Oscar consideration:

"Since each country can submit only one film, Mexico's popular Y Tu Mama Tambien--a tale of two teenage guys, an older woman and a road trip to the beach--isn't on this list of predictions; the country submitted The Crime of Father Amaro instead of the U.S. indie favorite. My guess? Too much sex in Tambien.

"Another noteworthy absence is Spanish director Pedro Almodovar's Golden Globe-winning Talk To Her, which has won just about every foreign language film award out there and just recently swept the Spanish version of the Academy Awards. Instead, Spain submitted Los Lunes Al Sole (Mondays in the Sun), a look at the day in the life of a group of men in Northern Spain. Whatever the rationale for that decision, the flamboyant Almodovar will be missed at the Oscars."

http://www.hollywood.com/celebs/story/t4/feature/1706438/page/2

That is very gratifying considering that both movies sucked HARD. Wow this awards ceremony is going to be really good unless The Hours wins Best Picture, which will totally taint it, but there's a good chance of this being an agreeable year at the Oscars now.

CMJ
Feb 4th, 2003, 09:10:49 AM
I'd heard about "T Tu Mama Tambien" being ineligible, but this was the first time I'd heard about Almodovar's flick being disqualified too.

JonathanLB
Feb 4th, 2003, 09:38:14 AM
I was pleasantly surprised by both announcements :D

I am pulling for Hero. Man that film is going to be awesome.

ReaperFett
Feb 4th, 2003, 10:50:03 AM
Thats dumb, you shoulowed more than ONE film from each country.

JMK
Feb 4th, 2003, 02:29:05 PM
It does sound a bit strict, doesn't it?

ReaperFett
Feb 4th, 2003, 02:32:23 PM
I mean, how can a country like, say, Luxemborg have the same amount of nominees as China? I can understand a limit, but one is just harsh.

JonathanLB
Feb 4th, 2003, 06:14:39 PM
Yeah that's a good point, it doesn't technically make any sense. It isn't logical, in my opinion. Oh yeah, I'm sure every country just makes one good movie a year ;)

JMK
Feb 4th, 2003, 08:21:14 PM
[devil's advocate] I guess if they allow more than one, then just how many? 2? 5? Why not 10? If every country that makes movies were allowed to enter 5-10 movies, these award things would take years to get through...[/devil's advocate]

ReaperFett
Feb 4th, 2003, 08:24:05 PM
2-3 would do.

JonathanLB
Feb 5th, 2003, 01:22:01 AM
It's a good point, JMK. I mean, I have to make the same assessment myself and I hate having to do that, but I'm one person with finite time on my hands.

Should I see the top 5 movies from the top 30 film producers? Should I see at least 3 movies from every country in the world? Should I see 15 movies from the major 8-10 countries that produce films? I have no idea currently how to balance it, but so far it seems that I'm going to focus on works that I understand have had a measurable impact on the film industry here in the United States (maybe worldwide), like Akira Kurosawa, Sergei Eisenstein, Fritz Lang (Metropolis), Francois Truffaut, Jean Luc Godard, etc.

Then perhaps if I have the time later, or maybe even 5 years from now after I'm pretty much an expert on film, I can expand that knowledge even further by pursuing the more obscure works. But it seems only logical to start with the most important films, in the interest of time and analysis, then work down to the lesser films (but ones that still deserve attention) afterwards.

Dutchy
Feb 5th, 2003, 02:18:47 PM
Originally posted by JonathanLB
Wow this awards ceremony is going to be really good unless The Hours wins Best Picture, which will totally taint it, but there's a good chance of this being an agreeable year at the Oscars now.

So, you're gonna take the risk and watch the show on TV? :p

JonathanLB
Feb 5th, 2003, 06:03:31 PM
Haha, let's not jump to conclusions now Dutchy ;)

lol, I will not sacrifice 5 hours to watch an Awards ceremony, no, I'd rather be watching movies.