PDA

View Full Version : Download Problem

Sage Hazzard
Feb 3rd, 2003, 01:41:26 AM
Many months ago, around the time I was MIA from RPing(4 months?), my computer was hit by lightning. I'm not sure if it was the electical lines or phonelines but my modem was not working at all. Finally, through banging it and devine intervention, a month or so later I could get on the internet. However, I can't download any files. I can download the needed files of course, like images and HTML, for my internet to actually work, but no files I choose to download. Like, hitting a link and downloading a program or zip file. Actually, that's not true, I can download font files that are zipped. I don't know why, but I can. Anything else I attempt to download, it does so in a matter of seconds but the file size is in the lower KB range. When attempting to open or extract the files it says the file is corrupt.

This is VERY serious. I'm the kind of guy who downloads junk all the time and sometimes I actually need the stuff.

Can anyone help me? If there's no cure, and my modem is just fried, then atleast tell me the bad news. I need to know what's wrong, even if I can't fix it.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 3rd, 2003, 01:53:35 AM
How about you let Morgan hook you up with a new modem? He's always saying he has them just laying around. I bet he'd send you one if you paid S/H.

Figrin D'an
Feb 3rd, 2003, 01:58:01 AM
This sounds like more of a problem with your ISP or some funky miniscule software setting than your modem hardware... but I don't know for sure... I shall yield to someone with more modem knowledge than I.

Sage Hazzard
Feb 3rd, 2003, 02:04:51 AM
Yeah, Morgan's offered to help me out before. Problem is, my dad wouldn't really go for it. Someone who he doesn't know, that knows his son over the internet, sending him a free modem. He'd be against it. Plus, I'm pretty sure I can fix this one. I'd hate to go through the hassle of explaining to my somewhat strict father about how there's this guy on the internet who will give me a free modem, if I can fix the problem instead.

Oriadin
Feb 3rd, 2003, 08:09:26 AM
Hmmm. Sounds very odd. Have you got a link to an example download your trying to get to make sure your just very unlucky at finding links that work?

Sage Hazzard
Feb 3rd, 2003, 12:55:45 PM
:lol Well, I've tried downloading LOTS of stuff. Kazaa, PhpBB, Games, Photoshop Trail Program, and more. So it's not the links. On many of those things, the download was handled by one of those highly respected program database things. Download.com I think is the name. I'd click on the link and it'd send me to that site, where the download would be handled.

Oriadin
Feb 3rd, 2003, 01:03:59 PM
So does the download pop up appear and then nothing happens or does the download pop up box not appear at all?

Morgan Evanar
Feb 3rd, 2003, 01:12:44 PM
Jeebus, get a PO box or something. I'd send it to that.

imported_Grev Drasen
Feb 3rd, 2003, 03:28:30 PM
Just say you bought it off eBay?

Morgan Evanar
Feb 3rd, 2003, 03:44:59 PM
It could be a file assocation issue. Try getting Mozilla or Phoenix, and using them.

imported_Grev Drasen
Feb 3rd, 2003, 05:42:55 PM
If you suspect it to be file association and still wish to use Explorer, just goto Folder Options and the 'File Types' tab. Find the extension(s) you're having trouble with and mess with their settings.

I had trouble with downloading .ZIPs awhile back, it kept downloading them into my Temporary Internet Files folder and I had to fix it by the above mentioned.