PDA

View Full Version : Groundhog Day

JonathanLB
Feb 3rd, 2003, 12:04:33 AM
I just watched the movie in honor of Groundhog Day today.

The film remains one of my all-time favorite comedies. I cannot imagine anyone not liking that film, such a classic. The only comedy movie I like more is Mrs. Doubtfire, though I admit I have to see a lot more comedies before I can make a final, definitive "BEST comedy" list.

My next project, after I make some progress in horror movies (this is an area of interest for me right now because of my English 220 -- film horror -- class) and some foreign films (requirement for English 110, intro to film), is to see the entire AFI Top 100 Greatest Comedy list.

I have a list of those films on my site with a few slots filled, but not much so far. I have seen 3 AFI Top 100 movies this weekend, including The Jazz Singer, Mutiny on the Bounty, and The Wizard of Oz today (hehe, appropriate to see the first talking film and the first color, non-animated film in the same weekend).

Well did everyone have a good Grounhog Day or was it just like every other day? haha.

Yesterday, February 1, was a special day for me because it marked exactly 6 years of Star Wars fandom (Feb. 1, 1997 is when I saw ANH:SE and became a true "fan").

Dae Jinn
Feb 3rd, 2003, 12:07:27 AM
Groundhog Day is when Sid Vicious died, you should watch Sid and Nancy, although, I heard that movie sucks elephant balls :x

JonathanLB
Feb 3rd, 2003, 12:14:50 AM
Ok I'll be sure to see it ;)

samantha
Feb 3rd, 2003, 12:39:55 AM
Try reading Rotten by John Lydon instead ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 3rd, 2003, 12:51:49 AM
I have heard Sid and Nancy is a great movie, mostly because of Oldman he shines as Sid Vicious, I know the Sex pistols don't like the movie, I have no clue why Sid Vicious was a monster.

Dae Jinn
Feb 3rd, 2003, 12:58:27 AM
From everything I have read, the Pistols, particularly John Lydon aka Johnny Rotten, found Sid and Nancy to be a big lie. I mean, they knew the actual person. Lydon has said Sid would've hated the film, but that Oldman is a good actor. :lol Have never seen the whole film myself, have seen "The Great Rock and Roll Swindle" though >_< :lol
And, IMO, Vicious wasn't a monster at all, he was just a messed up kid who got caught up in all the fame and the "rock-star" lifestyle. (and yes, I am rambling, but I am a huge Pistols fan :D)

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 3rd, 2003, 01:13:24 AM
Still he murdered his girlfriend in cold blood, sure he was messed up, but I wouldn't call him a very nice person.

Dae Jinn
Feb 3rd, 2003, 01:17:10 AM
His gf was a well, a hooker, a groupie and a drug-addict. It wasn't right for him to kill her, but it was supposedly a suicide pact gone bad. Considering his mum brought him the heroin that killed him :rolleyes. The whole thing was a mess.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 3rd, 2003, 01:51:17 AM
o_O What on EARTH are you people talking about?!

Dae Jinn
Feb 3rd, 2003, 01:56:17 AM
Sid Vicious

*pats Lds head and gives her a cookie* :)

ReaperFett
Feb 3rd, 2003, 02:45:37 AM
It started about Groundhog Day, and then Dae added something random :)

JonathanLB
Feb 3rd, 2003, 03:15:40 AM
Thanks a lot for hijacking my thread you nerf herders!

"What on EARTH are you people talking about?!"

Yeah good I'm not the only one, haha

Admiral Lebron
Feb 3rd, 2003, 05:48:09 AM
I own groundhog day on DVD. The best part is when he steals the groundhog... :D

Sene Unty
Feb 3rd, 2003, 08:45:50 AM
If you want to see a great comedy watch Airplane! .....

ReaperFett
Feb 3rd, 2003, 09:13:07 AM
Groundhog driving was the best part :)

Hadrian Invicta
Feb 3rd, 2003, 09:21:33 AM
"Don't drive angry."

I have to say that entier sequence where he attempts to commit suicide was hilarious. The robbing of the bank was also good.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 3rd, 2003, 12:29:08 PM
Yeah that part was hilarious. I liked where he kept trying to kill himself. I won't get into Sid Vicious anymore, I don't know the whole thing except what I have read in magazines and on the internet so I may not be totally informed.

JonathanLB
Feb 3rd, 2003, 05:31:57 PM
My favorite line in the film is: "Well what if there is no tomorrow?! There wasn't one today!!!"

Here are others I am including in my review, lol:

“Out in California, they’re going to have some warm weather tomorrow, gang wars, and some very overpriced real-estate. Up in the Pacific Northwest, as you can see, they’re going to have some very, very tall trees.”

On the phone: “All the long distance lines are down? What about the satellite? Is it snowing in space? Don’t you have some kind of a line you keep open for celebrities or for emergencies? I’m both! I’m a celebrity in an emergency.”

“This is pitiful. A thousand people, freezing their butts off waiting to worship a rat. What a hype. Groundhog Day used to mean something in this town. They used to pull the hog out and they used to eat it.”

“There is no way that this winter is ever going to end as long as this groundhog keeps seeing his shadow. I don’t see any other way out. He’s gotta be stopped. And I have to stop him.”

Dae Jinn
Feb 3rd, 2003, 06:36:31 PM
Jon asked how ppls groundhog day was going, I mentioned that Sid Vicious had died on Groundhog day. Not random at all :)

Quadinaros
Feb 3rd, 2003, 10:45:17 PM
"Yeah. Ah, three cheeseburgers, two large fries, two chocolate shakes, and one large coke."
"And some flapjacks."
"Too early for flapjacks?"

Great movie. One of my favorite standbys on DVD.

Darth23
Feb 4th, 2003, 03:33:52 PM
I missed this thread on Groundhog Day.

I love that movie too. I remember when I first saw it on cable - I watched it over and over again after that.

I remember the ads for it when it ran in the theater - they sucked. They didn't do anything to capture what the film was about.

I think that Quick Change, Larger than Life, Scrooged and Groundhog Day are all very under-rated Bill Murray comedies.

JonathanLB
Feb 4th, 2003, 06:13:43 PM
Quick Change is funny, if I remember it right.

The one I wasn't a big fan of unfortunately is Stripes, which had all of the setup to be a good movie. I mean, you have Harold Ramis (EGON from Ghostbusters, also the director of both Groundhog Day and Analyze This) plus Bill Murray, what could go wrong? Well, just about everything. Average film, definitely was a disappointment. It was before their better work, though, I believe it was 1981.

I actually really liked The Man Who Knew Too Little, a Murray comedy from 1998 or something perhaps it was. Anyway, critics hated it, I thought it was pretty damn funny...

Darth23
Feb 5th, 2003, 07:12:50 PM
I kind of liked the Man who knew to little - it had a definite 'Game' feel to it.

I was just waiting for the little light to come on in his head at the end of the movie, but it never did.

JonathanLB
Feb 5th, 2003, 07:33:08 PM
lol, that's true.

Jedieb
Feb 5th, 2003, 07:44:58 PM
If not for Bobcat, Scrooged could have been one of my favorite all time comedies. I still think it's hilarious.
"You can barely see those nipples!"
Cross: Something you nail people to.

JonathanLB
Feb 6th, 2003, 11:58:20 PM
My rather philosophical (I hope!) review of Groundhog Day:

http://www.jlbmovies.com/GroundhogDay.shtml

I had never quite examined it from this perspective before. I notice so much more now as a critic than I did when just watching these movies with brain half off, haha.