PDA

View Full Version : College Basketball anyone?

Figrin D'an
Feb 1st, 2003, 11:26:13 PM
With the NFL season completed, combined with my lack of real interest in hockey and my general hatred of the NBA, my sporting interests turn to college hoops.

So... who do you root for? How are the doing this season? Who do you think are legit Final Four teams? Who will be this year's 'Cinderella' team and make a run in the tournament?

So far, I'm happy with my favorite team's performance. Purdue was a dark horse in the Big Ten when the season started. Nobody knew really what to expect out of them. But, they've been pretty good so far. 14-4 overall record, 6-1 in Big Ten play, after a close overtime win at Iowa tonight (80-77). That puts them in sole control of first place in the conference. Their non-conference schedule wasn't overly impressive, but they did get a solid win over Louisville in December, which remains Louisville's only loss this season. They blew out Indiana by 22 last week (god, I loved every minute of that one... :D ), and after a very close loss to Illinois in Champaign, rebounded to get a hard fought win over Ohio State. They managed to take out Michigan State once already as well. The remaining schedule has more road games than home games, though, so I fear a couple of more losses are likely. But, if they can win out at home, steal a couple on the road, and get some breaks from other teams, they'll be in position to claim their first conference title since 1996. Even if they don't quite make it to that goal, it'll be nice to seem them back in the NCAA tournament after a couple of bad years by Purdue standards.

March Madness is only a month and a half away! :)

Admiral Lebron
Feb 1st, 2003, 11:27:16 PM
Maryland...repeat.

Figrin D'an
Feb 1st, 2003, 11:31:05 PM
I don't know Lebron... that's going to be tough after all of the great players they lost. The Terps are still a very good team, but getting back to the Final Four is pretty tall order.

Then again... stranger things have happened in the tournament. :)

JonathanLB
Feb 2nd, 2003, 12:59:01 AM
Go Ducks :)

Admiral Lebron
Feb 2nd, 2003, 07:49:10 AM
If Terps don't do it this year, then they will do it for sure next year at the rate they are progressing.

jjwr
Feb 2nd, 2003, 08:20:39 AM
I don't follow too much college Basketball, or at least any specific team. If its on and the game looks decent I'll watch some of it.

Now for some really good hoops you gotta watch the UConn Women, man can these girls play, 39-0 last year and 20-0 so far this year and they just whupped the #1 Duke Team. Which begs the question, with a 58 game winning streak why weren't they #1 to begin with? Anyways, they just play some outstanding hoops.

CMJ
Feb 2nd, 2003, 10:17:55 AM
I LOVE College Basketball! My boys(UNT of course) are going through another blah campaign.

I doubt Maryland can repeat, it's just SO hard. The only team to do it the last 30 or so years was Duke in '91 & '92.

Arizona is the team to beat, though I'm not ready to give them the title. Any number of teams will challenge in the tourney.

It's been a fun season so far.

Hadrian Invicta
Feb 2nd, 2003, 10:33:34 AM
I must have missed it but did Michigan lose another Big Ten game, if not then its a tie between Purdue and Michigan, with Illinois in second holding a tie breaker over both of them.

But it doesn't matter Illinois is going for an unprecedented 4 straight titles in the big ten, we already hold the glory of being the first legitimate school to win both the Football and Basketball conference titles (Michigan did it, but due to recent developments had to forfeit their basketball titles). I've been paying attention to the season fairly close.

My Illini have a huge game today at Mich. State, they need to prove they can win on the road and hopefully they will do so today. Oskee Wow Wow Illinois!!!!

Figrin D'an
Feb 2nd, 2003, 01:06:59 PM
Michigan has two conference losses (they lost to Minnesota yesterday), as does Illinois, Wisconsin and a couple of other teams. Purdue only has 1 conference loss so far.

Purdue will have another shot at Illinois in W. Lafayette in a couple of weeks, and with half of the conference season left... the scenarios are many. :)

Hadrian Invicta
Feb 2nd, 2003, 02:20:30 PM
I want replay at half-time buzzer beaters!!!!!

Every replay showed the shot that beat the buzzer at half-time should not have counted, result Illinois loses by 3. BAH!!!!

CMJ
Feb 2nd, 2003, 02:22:11 PM
That was a WONDERFUL college basketball game though.

Hadrian Invicta
Feb 2nd, 2003, 02:24:12 PM
Yes but once again officiating in the big ten is atrocious. for both sides, not just my beloved Illini. Cook's 4th foul was the worst call I'd seen in ages as was the call that fouled out Basinger. Cook does not recieve 4th foul he continues to play game may have different ending. But it was good.

Just for clarification, I can say that. I am a paid referee. That's how I make my money for college.

CMJ
Feb 2nd, 2003, 02:29:02 PM
Eh, overall officiating in the Big 10(or 11) is about standard I'd say. I see blown calls in just about every conference.

The Sunbelt, where my beloved UNT plays, for example has way worse referee's. At least they did when I could still see their games. I've heard from my friends back home they're still bad.

Hadrian Invicta
Feb 2nd, 2003, 02:32:24 PM
I thought when I started working as a referee it would allow me to be more accepting of officials mistakes. But it's been just the opposite, I wonder sometimes how these guys blow calls like that. lol

Figrin D'an
Feb 2nd, 2003, 02:43:01 PM
The main problem I see in Big Ten officiating is consistency. Once night, a crew may call a game very loosely, and it becomes a blood bath because both sides get away with everything. A few nights later, the same crew will call a game really tight, whistling for every bit of body contact on a block-out or a hand-check. There is no happy medium, which is the root of most of the frustration, IMO.

As for the 1st-half buzzer-beater... I agree that they should be able to review them, just like at the end of the game.

Admiral Lebron
Feb 2nd, 2003, 03:49:37 PM
Big 10 is whimps. Personally, ACC is like the hardcorest conferance. And the ref's are fairly good.

Hadrian Invicta
Feb 2nd, 2003, 04:00:01 PM
Thinks for a moment, now who won the majority of the Big Ten-ACC challenge this year, oh yes the Big Ten...

Figrin D'an
Feb 2nd, 2003, 04:02:12 PM
Originally posted by Admiral Lebron
Big 10 is whimps.

Right... that's why the Big Ten has had at least one team in the Final Four the 5 of the last 6 years, twice having two teams get there.

:rolleyes

CMJ
Feb 2nd, 2003, 04:08:57 PM
Anybody who thinks the Big 10 is a weak conference isn't knowledgeable. :p

Personally I do feel the ACC is the toughest conference though...

Top conferences for my money.

1. ACC
2. Big 10
3. SEC
4. Big XII

Admiral Lebron
Feb 2nd, 2003, 04:23:53 PM
Come on, Duke, NC, and Maryland all from ACC. They are the heavy hitters man.

JonathanLB
Feb 2nd, 2003, 04:28:56 PM
PAC-10 is very impressive this year. Don't give me any East Coast bias here, seriously, lol.

Ducks, Arizona, USC, Cal, we have a lot of tough teams here. Too bad UCLA sucks @$$ and so does my college, OSU, but I don't really care.

Figrin D'an
Feb 2nd, 2003, 04:43:31 PM
I'm not saying the ACC sucks... the ACC almost always one of the top 3 conferences, year in and year out. I'm mearly saying that the Big Ten is a lot better than you give them credit for. Just look at the non-conference and NCAA Tournament results for the past 10 years.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 2nd, 2003, 10:43:48 PM
The Big East is strong this year too, you have UConn, Pitt, Notre Dame, and Boston College all are good teams, Big East could get 6 teams in again. Also I have been meaning to bring this up would anybody be interesting in doing a NCAA tourney pickum thing like we did with the NFL? I would like to do brackets but that would be hard to post them on here, we could also just pick the winners of each game every two days deals, their would have to be some rules to work out but I think it could work.

CMJ
Feb 3rd, 2003, 10:00:09 AM
You can't use the East coast bias thing on me Jonathan...where do I live now? :p

CMJ
Feb 5th, 2003, 06:05:27 PM
The best rivalry in college basketball is tonight. Duke vs Carolina...even in a down year for both schools, will still be something special.

As a college basketball nut I can't wait. :D

Figrin D'an
Feb 5th, 2003, 06:09:34 PM
Look for Cincinnati-Louisville to be a better game. But yeah, it's still Duke/UNC, for all the of the traditionalists out there (which I am, sort of).

Purdue hosts Wisconsin tonight... hopefully the home winning streak will continue. :)

CMJ
Feb 5th, 2003, 06:13:12 PM
I guess I'm a traditionalist. ;) It's THE rivalry in college basketball to me. I can't wait to hear the Cameron Crazies and their "Goto to hell Carolina, Go to hell" chant.

It's simply greatness.

Figrin D'an
Feb 5th, 2003, 08:14:43 PM
Purdue 78
Wisconsin 60

:)

7-1 in the Big Ten so far. They'll have a tough game at Minnesota on Saturday. If they can pull out a win, it'll be huge heading down the stretch of the conference season.

CMJ
Feb 5th, 2003, 10:23:16 PM
Duke wins a classic Duke UNC game. Also Coach Knight gets his 800th victory.

Big night in college basketball.

CMJ
Feb 19th, 2003, 10:18:41 PM
Conference races finishing up. Several league's are still up in the air. Who will the #1 seeds be?

It's been a terrific season.

Figrin D'an
Feb 19th, 2003, 10:35:29 PM
The Big Ten has managed to remain a huge mess with only 4-5 games to go for most teams. Unfortunately, Purdue's home winning steak came to an end tonight with a loss to Michigan. They've lost 3 of their last 4 games... beating Illinois on Saturday was big, but my confidence in their ability to play 40 minutes of ball is waning considerably. In each of those 4 games, Purdue got behind early and had to claw back. Against Illinois, they managed to get some decents runs while the Illini went cold. But in the other three, everytime they'd make a run, the opposition would come right back with one of their own. Purdue has 4 games left, with three on the road. Not good. I'm hoping that somehow they can pull it together and win three of their last four, but their chances of getting a share of the conference title are very slim at this point. :(

The four best teams, right now IMO, are Kentucky, Louisville, Arizona and Texas. Other dangerous teams come March will be Oklahoma, Maryland, Pittsburgh, Florida and Marquette. Any one is capable of making a run to the Final Four.

CMJ
Feb 19th, 2003, 10:38:57 PM
I thought Michigan was the strongest team in the Big 10. ;)

I'd include Wake Forrest, Kansas, Notre Dame and Duke among your dangerous teams. March Madness is gonna be FUN. :D

Diego Van Derveld
Feb 19th, 2003, 10:42:41 PM
(stays OUT of this thread) :o :grumble :cry

Figrin D'an
Feb 19th, 2003, 10:55:40 PM
Michigan is mainly succeeding at pissing off the rest of the conference. They can technically win the regular season conference title and play in the Big Ten Tournament, but even if they win the conference tourney, the automatic bid would go the second place team, since Michigan has that self-imposed post season ban. All they're really doing is ruining potential NCAA tournament seeding for everyone else. :grumble

Anyway... I had to get that out of my system...

Wake Forest is a good team, I agree. Duke is Duke... they reload every year, but I just don't see that "killer instinct" from this year's group that Krzyzewski's best teams have. Kansas chokes every year... yeah, they got the Final Four last year and have a very solid squad again this year, but I have no faith in their ability to win big games in March. Notre Dame... gah, it pains me to see them with a good record... I hope the get a number 2 or 3 seed and get upset in the first round.

CMJ
Feb 20th, 2003, 09:27:20 AM
Poor Diego, Alabama is one of the biggest disappointments of the year.

Other than NT of course(a personal disappointment). :( We showed alot of potential last year, but this season has been lousy. Oh well.

Diego Van Derveld
Feb 20th, 2003, 09:41:27 AM
no need to RUB IT IN :mad

CMJ
Feb 20th, 2003, 09:48:11 AM
Hey I'm rubbing salt in my own wound too. We were expected to win 20 games this season after a big turnaround last year. Injuries depleted our ranks, and our team lost fire when they got to the conference race.

We're sitting at 7 wins currently. That's 13 less than I expected this season. Believe me, I'm VERY disappointed.

Diego Van Derveld
Feb 20th, 2003, 10:03:45 AM
Well, we beat Auburn at least. I just....arrg. We lost our damn home winning streak. Albeit to Kentucky, but SONUFABITCH! We were supposed to be contenders this year, and we deflated like an undercooked french pastry.

(waits on BASEBALL SEASON) :mad

Hadrian Invicta
Feb 20th, 2003, 10:18:25 AM
Alabama could quite possibly become the first team to ever be ranked #1 at one point during the season and not make it into the big dance...

Just some useless knowledge.

Illinois even with 4 losses is still in position to win the Big Ten, because the 3 teams tied for 1st each have 3 loses and IL gets a shot at 2 of them.

KY will not win the big dance this year, all that is needed is for them to have a cold shooting night and they get beat. A team that lives by the 3 dies by the 3. Duke doesn't have the leadership, they've finally been bitten by the underclassmen bug, in which their talented Freshman jump ship after one or two years. Maryland could be dangerous come tourney time. I hate Arizona, ever since that travesty of officiating where somehow Illinois fouled out all of their starters save Archibald and still almost beat AZ, so I can never say they will win. Texas and OK might suprise us, and Standard is setting itself up to be a Dark Horse, if that is possible...

CMJ
Feb 20th, 2003, 07:30:14 PM
March is shaping up as a toss up. I can see any of about 15 teams winning it all.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 20th, 2003, 10:15:03 PM
Its going to be wild, I am hoping UConn, can rebound, Calhoun is coming back they need him, he is a great coach, and I think he will give them some momementum, I think they will make the tourney, not sure how deep they will go.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 23rd, 2003, 12:02:57 AM
Calhoun came back today and the Huskies won by 9 they are now 17-6 they should make the tourney, if they can win 3 more games I think they are then a lock.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 24th, 2003, 01:07:39 AM
For those interested here is ESPN's bubble watch it shows how each conference is doing

http://espn.go.com/ncb/bubble/watch/index03.html

Right now they are saying that the ACC could only get 3 teams in, if Virginia doesn't win at Wake, that would be a huge if they didn't get more than 3 teams in.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 24th, 2003, 10:23:49 PM
Who else thinks UConn could be a surprise team in the tourney, they beat a very good Notre Dame team in Notre Dame now they are starting to look good. Probably because they have one of the best College coaches back with them.

CMJ
Feb 25th, 2003, 02:18:51 PM
I'm sure the ACC gets a 4th school in. I just can't imagine them only getting three. That conference almost always gets four.

I'm wondering how many the PAC-10 is gonna get in. It's kinda tough to seperate everyone after Arizona.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 26th, 2003, 12:32:21 PM
Yeah I understand the question is who? UNC is done, the way they are losing they might not make the NIT. Virginia's chances are slim at 14-11, and and RPI in the 60's I don't see them getting in. I thought Clemson had a chance at 15-9 but they got killed by Maryland last night, they now would have to win their last 3 games, including winning at Wake Forest. The team that has the best chance is NC State their biggest problem is their RPI is low 60's so they will need to win probably 18 games to get in. Still the ACC isn't as strong as they have been in past years, to me the Big East is a better conference this year, the Big East 4th best school, Syracuse would kill NC State or Virginia, heck right now I think UConn or Notre Dame could beat Maryland. I wouldn't say the Big East is the best conference maybe the third best, after the SEC and Big 12.

CMJ
Feb 26th, 2003, 09:16:34 PM
I don't think Syracuse would kill NC State(who I think will get in the dance). The way Duke is playing right now, they might be the best team in the ACC even if Wake Forest will probably win the title.

Well the regular season title anyways.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 26th, 2003, 10:03:33 PM
I think Maryland is better than Duke. Also I shouldn't have said kill I exageratted their I think Syracuse is better than NC State and would beat them, actually the team to watch in the Big East might be Seton Hall they are playing amazing. Still I think UConn is a dangerous team with Calhoun coaching them. As you can tell I am biased towards the Big East :p

Hadrian Invicta
Feb 27th, 2003, 02:09:01 AM
Bah I don't think the Big East could compete with the Big Ten (11) Of course I'm not biased at all...*hail to the orange, hail to the blue....* I think the SEC however is the best conference this year followed by either the Big 12 or 10

CMJ
Feb 27th, 2003, 02:55:02 PM
Well Carr, I don't think Maryland is better than Duke. I don't really think much seperates Wake, Duke, and the Terps right now. They're all really solid.

The ACC tourney is gonna be fun.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 27th, 2003, 03:02:29 PM
Maryland has been impressive though they have beaten their last two teams by 70 points combined that is amazing their, of course they were playing UNC and Clemson :p I don't know why I am biased towards the big east. You would thinking living in the South I would root for the ACC or SEC teams. I was born up in Massatchusetts so I guess that has something to do with. I really liked UConn, I was so happy when they beat Duke a couple of years back that was amazing run by that team.

CMJ
Feb 27th, 2003, 03:04:20 PM
I guess my bias is the ACC out of the power conferences(though my real passion are the little guys). I grew up watching ACC games on TV, because Mom loved that conference.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 27th, 2003, 03:16:25 PM
Well my big east bias is probably my father he grew up near Providence and always watched them and he is also a big Notre Dame fan. I started like UConn, back when they had Ray Allen he is from my state and then they got Ricky Moore who went to high school like 30 minutes from me. Moore is the reason they won their national title, IMO. Also I love the little guys too I am always rooting for them in the tourney.

CMJ
Feb 27th, 2003, 03:23:06 PM
The representative from the Sunbelt(my conference) will be a dangerous squad. I'm sure either Lousiana Lafayette or Western kentucky will win our conference tourney...both could knock off a Power school given the match up.

Both squads are fast and can take teams off the dribble. Go Belt. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 27th, 2003, 03:28:19 PM
Western Kentucky has been one of those teams who have proven they are capable so they will be a challenge if they make it. Richmond used to be one of those schools who could do it, but now in the A-10 (I think) it will be a while before they can do it.

CMJ
Feb 27th, 2003, 03:29:49 PM
They just play great ball in Kentucky period. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 27th, 2003, 03:36:04 PM
Yeah look at Louisville and Kentucky both should be considered title contenders this year.

CMJ
Feb 27th, 2003, 03:45:04 PM
Exactly. In Kentucky, Indiana, Kansas, and North Carolina, college basketball is a religion. Kind of like in certain southern states college football is religion.