PDA

View Full Version : The Revenge of the Mind

CMJ
Jan 29th, 2003, 09:56:27 AM
Kasparov is leading the Super Chess computer in the rematch. If you may remember for the first time ever a computer beat the #1 played in the world in 1997. Kasparov is winning the rematch so far.

YES! ;)

Figrin D'an
Jan 29th, 2003, 10:02:19 AM
Kasparov isn't the #1 player in the world anymore though, is he? After he lost to Deep Blue, he lost a couple of other matches (to human opponents), and I believe he lost his #1 ranking. Maybe he has gained it back since then... I haven't really kept up on the situation.

Nevertheless, I am interested to see if he wins.

CMJ
Jan 29th, 2003, 10:04:40 AM
I think he's number one again..at least that what I've read. He won the first game when he was white...then they drew the black game. Apparently he dominated the affair though.

Game 3 is today. :D

JonathanLB
Jan 29th, 2003, 04:42:15 PM
Nice. That guy must be truly brilliant.

CMJ
Jan 29th, 2003, 04:54:53 PM
Actually Game 3 is tommorrow. I'm gonna watch it live. They actually have Grand Masters doing play by play. ;)

CMJ
Jan 30th, 2003, 06:27:58 PM
Game 3 went to the computer...horrible blow to Kasparov. The series is tied going into the last 3 games.

CMJ
Feb 4th, 2003, 09:14:42 PM
Game 4 ended in a draw the other day, the fifth game is set for tommorrow.

Recea Letikk
Feb 4th, 2003, 09:51:44 PM
"Rise of the Machines" ;)

CMJ
Feb 5th, 2003, 04:15:45 PM
I think the rise of the machines was in '97. :p

Game 5 just ended in a draw. Kasparov was lucky to get out with one, the computer played a great game and seemed to have Kasparov cornered. Of course, Deep Junior has the white pieces in Game 6 so it has the advantage now.

Series tied at 2.5 -2.5(Combatants get 1/2 a point with a tie and a full point with a win).

Dutchy
Feb 5th, 2003, 04:27:04 PM
I think Kasparov is in my top 5 of people I look up to most.

The man can think 50 chess moves in advance.

Damn, he rules.

Figrin D'an
Feb 7th, 2003, 02:41:39 PM
The sixth and final match is being shown now on ESPN2...

I've never seen ESPN show a chess match before...

JonathanLB
Feb 7th, 2003, 03:02:02 PM
That is great.

Kasparov must be one of the smartest guys alive.

Figrin D'an
Feb 7th, 2003, 05:45:26 PM
The final match ended in a draw, so it's an overall draw, with Kasparov-1, Deep Junior-1, Draw-4

JonathanLB
Feb 7th, 2003, 05:54:03 PM
Wow...

CMJ
Feb 7th, 2003, 06:52:10 PM
Kasparov offered a draw when he had advantage of the board. All the Grand Master commentary I read said that Garry had control of the game.

In the press conference Kasparov admitted he had the advantage, but said playing the computer he knew it would be a long grinding match to get the win...and he did not want to blunder. He felt a draw was better than a potential loss.

JonathanLB
Feb 7th, 2003, 07:02:54 PM
Then he gave up. He didn't have the courage to seek the win. That weakling!

CMJ
Feb 7th, 2003, 07:04:21 PM
Dude, they'd been playing over 3 and half hours. His mental fatgue level would be high...the computer's doesn't exist.

Who has the greater chance for a mistake? ;)

JonathanLB
Feb 7th, 2003, 08:46:44 PM
haha, dude it was a joke. I hope you didn't think I was being serious. ;)

That is a big advantage for the computer, Kasparov made the right move. Nobody else could play for a draw against that computer, probably.

Figrin D'an
Feb 7th, 2003, 09:08:50 PM
I don't blame him for offering a draw. He did have the upper hand for most of the game, but especially once a few captures are exchanged and pieces become limited, you have to be really careful with each move. He pushed the Queen/Queen exchange, which was probably a smart move... it limited the sheer number of strategy combinations the computer could employ.

They were saying on the broadcast of the match that Kasparov has a chance to reclaim the world championship later this year. He's still the #1 player in the world, but he lost the championship last year. He has to win a "semi-final" match in a few months, then face the winner of the other match for the world title.

Pretty amazing... the guy has basically been the world's best chess player for over 20 years.

CMJ
Feb 7th, 2003, 09:19:13 PM
Junior had both Rooks at it's disposal, but(I'm far from an expert) it did appear that Kasparov had control. He also held more pawns. Apparently computers have a hard time seeing offensive moves if you have alot of pawns on the table. They get confused(or so I read) easier. Not sure why...

Anyways, I don't blame his for offering a draw by any means. I'm sure Garry is still kicking himself over Game's 2&3 though.