PDA

View Full Version : The thread of un-superbowl

Zeke
Jan 26th, 2003, 08:48:49 PM
Not watchin' the Superbowl? Post it here! I wanna see how many others besides myself have ditched in favor of something else. Me? I ditched Superbowl for cartoons, punk rock, and RP.

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Jan 26th, 2003, 08:49:19 PM
me, work, rp, dvds....

Loki Ahmrah
Jan 26th, 2003, 08:49:55 PM
I would sooner stick my head in a pan of boiling chip-fat! :p

Pilot Akito
Jan 26th, 2003, 08:52:52 PM
Who can resist Ed O'neal as Joe Friday.....

Alita
Jan 26th, 2003, 08:53:18 PM
I ditched it because......I HATE SPORTS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do like it when the football players get smacked into the ground and have to pull the chunks of grass from their helmets. If ya ask me my opinion is.....Why would someone want to watch slabs of meat run around in pads? Also why is racing intresting? Why would someone watch cars go around in circles hundreds of times? Oh well, thats the humans for ya.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 26th, 2003, 08:53:21 PM
Originally posted by Loki Ahmrah
I would sooner stick my head in a pan of boiling chip-fat! :p

Ouch. Thankfully, Aust gives exactly the same caring for the Super Bowl as it does for yaks in Mongolia. Besides, Jan 26 is Australia Day, and we'll rather be getting pissed and watching fireworks.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 26th, 2003, 08:54:41 PM
Why would someone watch cars go around in circles hundreds of times? Oh well, thats the humans for ya.

NASCAR is boring to watch, hard to drive. Gimme Rallying anyday.

Loki Ahmrah
Jan 26th, 2003, 08:55:33 PM
I must've unknowingly celebrated Australia day too. Without the fireworks though. :mneh

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 26th, 2003, 08:56:41 PM
Actually this year most fireworks displays got cancelled. Fire risk is way, way, way too high. Which really sucks, cuase I love blowing stuff up with fireworks.

Zeke
Jan 26th, 2003, 08:58:12 PM
Fireworks? Frankfurt Germany on New Years Day was fireworks heaven. So much gunpowder and bright lights, you could hardly breathe, and if you weren't having seizures at the light patterns, you were either drunk or stoned.

Pilot Akito
Jan 26th, 2003, 08:58:34 PM
You all don't like watching the Raiders get destroied by an expantion team??

Zeke
Jan 26th, 2003, 08:59:15 PM
No. Instead, we will watch cartoons.

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Jan 26th, 2003, 08:59:27 PM
hrumph....I was stuck giving ppl videos all day, we had twice as much as normal.....

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:02:26 PM
Originally posted by Pilot Akito
You all don't like watching the Raiders get destroied by an expantion team??

No, I'd rather have a weld drip onto my groin than put up with that.

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:03:03 PM
o_O gah!

Loki Ahmrah
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:03:52 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Elessar
Actually this year most fireworks displays got cancelled. Fire risk is way, way, way too high.

That is teh suck. :\

(Pees on Australia)

There...no more fire worries! :cool

On a vaguely related note, I found the Megabowl far more entertaining than the Superbowl. I am the king of the bowling alley, beehatch! :smokin

Pilot Akito
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:04:47 PM
I guess talking to you all means I'm not watching the game... But the commericals are fun...

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:04:54 PM
Cleaning Tiolet bowls is more interestign than Super Bowl

Figrin D'an
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:07:00 PM
Originally posted by Alita
I ditched it because......I HATE SPORTS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do like it when the football players get smacked into the ground and have to pull the chunks of grass from their helmets. If ya ask me my opinion is.....Why would someone want to watch slabs of meat run around in pads? Also why is racing intresting? Why would someone watch cars go around in circles hundreds of times? Oh well, thats the humans for ya.

If you have to ask those kind of questions about sports, then you will never comprehend the answers.

Lime
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:08:40 PM
I watched a video of MonsterJam I saw Friday, eating a pizza and watching 'toons..

Superbowl is the Suckerbowl...

Pilot Akito
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:09:01 PM

Thats only because you don't have a Super Bowl in sports...

Figrin D'an
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:09:02 PM

This coming from a man that has said before he enjoys watching cricket...

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:10:30 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
This coming from a man that has said before he enjoys watching cricket...

Which says a lot for how boring I think Gridiron is. Gimme Rugby (League or Union) anyday.

Loki Ahmrah
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:11:31 PM
Which says a lot for how boring I think Gridiron is. Gimme Rugby (League or Union) anyday.

:thumbup

Pilot Akito
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:12:43 PM
Rugby???

Isn't that where people line up and rush after a small ball...

Figrin D'an
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:15:15 PM

At least you're willing to admit that cricket is extremely mundane. I can't count the number of times I've heard some people (not necessarily on this board) sing the praises of cricket while calling baseball boring.

Loki Ahmrah
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:19:19 PM
See my previous comment about boiling chip-fat, the same stands for cricket. Certainly not a spectators sport as far as I am concerned.

Admiral Lebron
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:19:39 PM
Baseball and cricket are both boring. Rugby, Football, Lacrosse and Aussie Rules Football are manly sports.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:22:51 PM
Baseball is even more mindlessly boring! Agh! NO! Cricket is the doyen of excitement compared to that!

Cricket for me is relaxation. It's good to put on to listen to, when doign somethign else. It's also an impossibly technical game where a finger placed wrong spoils a bowl and the batman hits it over the fence, or a batsman footwork sends a bowl to slip instead of behind point. Cricket was never supposed to be exciting and at you 100%.It's also a fantastic social game.

Exciting? Nah. That'll be rallying.

Sarin Vorrann
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:41:39 PM
I am Telan Desaria........

I am sitting here drinking a bottle of scotch and lamenting about lost love. Foot ball is horrid.

European FuBball, now that's a game!

Gehen Brem!!!!!!!

*Translation= Go Bremen!!!!!

Figrin D'an
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:50:14 PM

Cricket for me is relaxation. It's good to put on to listen to, when doign somethign else. It's also an impossibly technical game where a finger placed wrong spoils a bowl and the batman hits it over the fence, or a batsman footwork sends a bowl to slip instead of behind point. Cricket was never supposed to be exciting and at you 100%.It's also a fantastic social game.

And the very same things can be said about baseball... there are literally hundreds of way to grip a baseball to produce different types of pitches... for example, if the pitcher doesn't have the laces lined up properly, he can hang a curve ball and give the batter a clear shot to put it out of the park. A batter can exhurt varying effects on the ball depending upon swing speed, hand position, and swing motion. Strategy is key... knowing the best situations to pinch hit, when a pitcher is most vulnerable to a double steal, using the relief pitching effectively against depending upon the opposing team's lineup, knowing when to put on infield shifts to get a double play to get out of a critical inning... baseball is very much a social game... people attend games as much for the ambiance and history of the game and ballparks as much as they do to root for their favorite teams...

The two sports are alike in many ways. It annoys me to no end when one lauds certain qualities of one sport while a similar sport with similar characteristics is dismissed as crap.

I don't watch cricket that much, mainly because it just isn't shown on TV here. I don't know everything about the game, but I know enough to understand how it works and what it's strengths are. It's not unlike baseball in many ways. Virtually everyone here knows that I'm a huge football fan (or Grid Iron, as you call it). I think it's a fantastic sport. That doesn't mean that I don't like rugby. I enjoy rugby as well. I've played rugby before... it's a high energy game, extremely physical, and it can be fun. At their cores, America football and rugby are not that dissimilar. Probably why I enjoy them both.

Nathanial K'cansce
Jan 26th, 2003, 10:16:43 PM
I'm pissed off. I had tyhe closing shift tonight, yet it was dead all day (Talked with some fellow co-workers before i went in) also heard last year on superbowl sunday, they closed at 8 pm. So I thought I'd we'd be able to get home early, and catch the second half and maybe have time to do my physics lab. Nope. Just got home. >.<

Admiral Lebron
Jan 26th, 2003, 11:32:09 PM
Raiders didn't show up till the end of the third, then left in the fourth.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 26th, 2003, 11:35:16 PM
Who cares.

Loki Ahmrah
Jan 26th, 2003, 11:38:33 PM
You do, secretly. Go on. Admit it. :Poke

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 26th, 2003, 11:51:26 PM
The only caring I have is that the Bog Bowl would curl up and die :D

Loki Ahmrah
Jan 27th, 2003, 12:00:20 AM
(Hands Marcus a membership badge) >D

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 27th, 2003, 12:03:50 AM
:evil

And would you believe, I'm playing my guitar for the first time in 10 years? Learning No ONe Knows :D

Loki Ahmrah
Jan 27th, 2003, 12:11:33 AM
Ten years? Bloody hell! Nice riff to restart with too. :D

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 27th, 2003, 12:21:23 AM
Oh yeah. . Not too hard, it's pretty easy and clear. The fingers are rememebrign how to play which is a surprise. Only a crappy guitar I have, but it's proving a bit of fun

Dae Jinn
Jan 27th, 2003, 01:50:16 AM
Actually this year most fireworks displays got cancelled. Fire risk is way, way, way too high. Which really sucks, cuase I love blowing stuff up with fireworks.

Why does not surprise me? :rolleyes.

I caught the end of the game, because I need noise when I'm online >_<

Sejah Haversh
Jan 27th, 2003, 01:52:18 AM
The only way the Stuporbowl would have been interesting to me this year would have been if it had the Seattle Seahwaks against the Cincinatti Bengals.

However, since both temas excel at losing in horridly awful ways, it would not be a sporting event, but a comedy instead. A dreadfully long, sick and twisted comedy of grevious error.

Now, I know a lot of you don't like baseball, but, of all the major sports, it is my favorite to watch. Unless you call competition cooking a sport, in which Iron Chef has everything beat hands down. Thankfully, I was at work all day and didn't have the chance to accidentally stumble across the game on television while looking for something worthwhile. In unrelated news, the show "Conquest" on the History Channel is most interesting...

Sanis Prent
Jan 27th, 2003, 01:11:17 PM
I abhor these pissing contests over sports. Might as well argue among religions. But, I will say, before you insult a sport, or state a preference, try to play both of them.

I've played soccer, rugby, and football. There aren't many here who are qualified to say that, or further, make a comparison.

I've played football for 11 out of the 22 years of my life. No contest for me.

And yes, I was in fine form for our Superbowl party. Go Bucs!

Laila Annex
Jan 27th, 2003, 01:14:34 PM
I don't usually like to watch sports but I must say that this year I was screaming along with my brothers and random neighbors during the final moments. Out of the games I have watched, a number I can count on two hands, this is the most exciting. I was actually in suspense.

Of course, I didn't even know who was playing until Tampa Bay won:D

Live Wire
Jan 27th, 2003, 01:18:33 PM
well I too ditched the superbowl. I hung out with my dad all morning and got a new cell phone and got lunch. Then went over to a friends house watched a dvd ate pizza, sang and talked and just hung out. Then that evening I got dinner and went over to another friends house to watch tv and veg.

What a nice day!!!

Leeloo Mina
Jan 27th, 2003, 01:59:01 PM
I ditched the superbowl for sleep.

I've never in my life watched the superbowl.. I bet I miss alotta neat commercials.

Wei Wu Wei
Jan 28th, 2003, 12:35:14 PM
Watch the Superbowl? I was watching the girl next to me more than I was watching the superbowl. But at least the Superbowl got all my friends together in the same place, so I didn't mind it.