PDA

View Full Version : Shanghai Knights

Admiral Lebron
Jan 25th, 2003, 08:56:36 PM
I saw the sneak peak of this film tonight. It was very funny. Thats all I feel like saying.

JonathanLB
Jan 26th, 2003, 12:50:00 AM
Doh, I wanted to see the sneak of this. Instead, I was at the sneak of How to Lose A Guy in 10 Days, which was also quite good, but I wish I could have been in two places at one time! :)

Admiral Lebron
Jan 26th, 2003, 09:27:13 AM
This was better than a chick flick.

Hart
Jan 26th, 2003, 06:34:49 PM
I DEFINITELY want to see that movie. But I probably won't see it in the theaters. So I'll probably wait until I can rent it.

JonathanLB
Jan 26th, 2003, 07:09:13 PM
Yeah I'll judge that for myself -- How to Lose A Guy in 10 Days is a LOT better made film than Shanghai Noon, which was a poor effort from Jackie Chan, who rarely makes a bad movie anymore.

It was only modestly funny and much more stupid than funny. I've seen a hundred chick flicks better than that.

Anyway, nobody would dare argue that a Chan film is more sophisticated than a chick flick -- both are equally formulaic. I'm a huge Chan fan too, I absolutely love Jackie Chan, but it's formula comedy the same as a chick flick. Only a closed-minded guy would not realize the obvious similarities.

Sejah Haversh
Jan 27th, 2003, 02:36:52 AM
I only have one question: Is it worse than Shanghai Noon, because that was a stinkfest if I ever saw one. It is the main reaon I'm really cringing when I see the ads for this one.

Just.... how bad is it?

JonathanLB
Jan 27th, 2003, 05:52:49 AM
Shanghai Noon was not a very good film, I agree...

This better be, well, better.

Marcus Telcontar
Jan 27th, 2003, 06:07:10 AM
Agh, Shanghai Noon had a crapfest for a plot, but Chan was pretty good. After all, that's all what most people go see - the Jackie Chan style moves and stunts.

Admittedly, he's not as good as he once was. I suspect he's going for the big dollar payoffs in America and then retireing. Personally I say there is no way Shanhai Knights will be better.

JonathanLB
Jan 27th, 2003, 06:59:37 AM
That was the major problem with Shangai Noon -- hardly ANY good action! The action just sucked hard. It was no better than any normal American film, which is not how Chan movies are supposed to be. I realize he is getting older and I'd rather see him some than not at all, but his stunt work is much better in the Rush Hour films and even The Tuxedo had a lot better action with better funny scenes than Shanghai Noon, which is perhaps the worst film he has yet made in America.

Oriadin
Jan 27th, 2003, 08:26:39 AM
Oh dear. I actually quite enjoyed Shangai Noon. I cant remember too much about it to be honest but I saw what I expected. No great deal of plot, or a very involving story, just something that was a bit of fun for an hour and a half or however long it was. I just found the film fun and a good laugh.

Hart
Jan 27th, 2003, 09:51:23 AM
I guess his age is why they brought in a sister :)

Firefighter Earth
Jan 28th, 2003, 02:25:55 PM
UGH!
*enters pissy rant mode*

Okay, the actress who plays Chan's sister in Shanghai Knights is from Singapore!

So they don't even look like they could even be remotely related!!!
*exits pissy-rant mode*

Actually I have been waiting for Shanghai Knight for almost a year now, so it better be good, gwad durn it!

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jan 28th, 2003, 03:31:26 PM
There were a few things in Noon that I would have changed but overall, I really enjoyed it and wouldnt mind having it. I only saw a thried of the trailer for Knights, so I cant comment on how it looked. I wont go pay to see it at the theater but I will rent it when it comes out in the stores.

Admiral Lebron
Jan 28th, 2003, 06:12:00 PM
I thought the girl who played Chan's sister was his neice?

JonathanLB
Jan 29th, 2003, 01:25:58 AM
I thought the girl who played Chan's sister was his niece's daughter's brother's father's roommate's best friend's brother in law's ex-wife's maid, but I could be wrong...

Sene Unty
Jan 29th, 2003, 12:50:45 PM
:lol @ Jonathan (That's never happened before.)

Shangai Knights looks sucktastic. That's all.

Jackie Dennegin
Jan 29th, 2003, 01:04:32 PM
I liked a few of the lines from the trailer but I think I'll wait until it comes out to rent.

I'm waiting for 'Anger Management' :D

Sene Unty
Jan 29th, 2003, 01:05:14 PM
True. Anger Management looks sweet.

JonathanLB
Feb 8th, 2003, 12:20:54 AM
I was pleasantly surprised!!!

That movie just kept getting better. It was MUCH better than Shanghai Noon. I don't know if there was a different director or what, but wow, I am really impressed.

First of all, the girl adds a lot to the film. The action sequences she has are totally awesome, not to mention Chan's action is much better in this too. It's a far superior film as far as action, which is nice because I felt Shanghai Noon simply had way too little action. This was just classic Jackie Chan. Also, the humor, while still having its really stupid parts, is not nearly as idiotic as Shanghai Noon. I like stupid humor, but you can overdo it, which happened with the first film. This time, they got it just right.

I give it 3.5 stars. It was a huge improvement! The first was about a 2.5 star movie to me, C+.

sirdizzy
Feb 10th, 2003, 12:04:39 AM
it was funny and a good movie but who else thought the tempo was all wrong

the fight scenes did not seem to work at times and i didn't thinkl wilson and chan had the same chemistry as the first movie

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 10th, 2003, 12:41:01 AM
:love'd Noon

:love'd Knights

:)

'nuff said.

JonathanLB
Feb 10th, 2003, 01:22:48 AM
I disagree, Dizzy. I may have agreed with you on the first film, Noon, but this one was as perfect as any new Jackie Chan movie is going to be really.

I was amazed that even the running time of an hour and 54 minutes worked. I thought for sure that would be WAY too long, by about 25 minutes, but nope, I was even happy it lasted as long as it did.

I had a lot of fun at that film. It was way above my expectations.

sirdizzy
Feb 10th, 2003, 01:29:17 AM
honestly i think a lof of what disagreed with me was the score, it made the fight scenes too slow

sure it was cute when chan did the scene from singing in the rain but almost all of his fight scenes seemed boring and a lot of that goes to that cutsey score they used

hell i thought fann's scenes were a lot better and more intersting, i just thought chan came off flat and that fann stole the movie from him

i was funny and good but lacking

JonathanLB
Feb 10th, 2003, 04:15:24 AM
My friend Sean complained about the score, too, so you're not alone.

I had no problems with it -- I have no idea what the deal is with the complaints. The Singin' in the Rain tribute was excellent (did anyone else catch the Safety Last homage on the clock tower? Hehe).

The action scenes were most definitely NOT boring! They were very good for a 47-year-old guy, and a lot stronger than any of his other recent work (including Rush Hour 2, which I liked more, and definitely The Tuxedo).

Admiral Lebron
Feb 10th, 2003, 08:40:43 AM
I loved the sword fight at the end.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 10th, 2003, 06:45:31 PM
The umbrella fight scene was the BEST! EVER!

Ok not ever. :) I still loved it :)